Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Not sure if serious. Many flaws that I see.

The first being you're not going to trick any player or agent with a back loaded 5 year deal. They're gonna look at the only thing that matters guaranteed money.

Also, Im not gonna offer 10 mil a year after he got cut for making 10 mil a year.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card

I have both. No wonder Sashi won't return my calls.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Ahhh...the voice of reason

I don't agree. It's more the voice of a guy who defends everything the FO does and belittles anyone who every questions them.

I try and evaluate each move based on it's individual merits. That seems more reasonable in my world rather than what he continually says.

But, to each their own.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19
Ahhh...the voice of reason

I don't agree. It's more the voice of a guy who defends everything the FO does and belittles anyone who every questions them.

I try and evaluate each move based on it's individual merits. That seems more reasonable in my world rather than what he continually says.

But, to each their own.

Uhhh...of all the people on THIS board, Peen may be the most reasonable...maybe tied with Clem.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
My point is I don't hear people complain when a 7th rounder plays like a stud. Sounds like Mac bashing the FO because we took a guy in the 6th round when we should have taken him in the 2nd round. notallthere

Wait............this is reasonable? rofl

Sounds pretty insulting to me and it was unprovoked. I can see why certain posters would find such an insulting comment "reasonable."

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
My point is I don't hear people complain when a 7th rounder plays like a stud. Sounds like Mac bashing the FO because we took a guy in the 6th round when we should have taken him in the 2nd round. notallthere

Wait............this is reasonable? rofl

Sounds pretty insulting to me and it was unprovoked. I can see why certain posters would find such an insulting comment "reasonable."

Yes...you wouldn't understand if I laid it out for you. mac unprovoked? rofl

C
Legend
Legend
C
Maclin is talking with the Bills. His old teammate, LeSean McCoy, is recruiting him.

https://www.thescore.com/news/1313247

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we can sign him to a reasonable offer then fine do it he probably can help us. Personally, I'd rather see us develop our own guys as I feel there is potential here. JMO

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought it would be the Bills because of McCoy or the 49ers ..

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
FWIW

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5169/jeremy-maclin

Jordan Schultz of the Huffington Post reports the Bills are in preliminary talks with free agent Jeremy Maclin.

It's not a great fantasy destination, but it does make a lot of sense from a reality standpoint. Jason Fitzgerald of Overthecap.com recently estimated Maclin would command $5 million annually. The Bills are dealing with injuries to top receivers Sammy Watkins (foot) and Zay Jones (knee). Jun 4 - 4:10 PM

Source: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see us develop our own guys as I feel there is potential here. JMO

I agree...Depending on how this season plays out..The Browns could always go for a guy like ..

Christian Kirk from Texas A&M

Calvin Ridley From Alabama

Parris Campbell from Ohio State... He may be a good 2nd round pick up. If not a low round first.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I'd easily give him 5 million per

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LeSean McCoy recruits Jeremy Maclin to Buffalo
Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2017, 3:26 PM EDT

It’s unclear whether Bills G.M. Brandon Beane or coach Sean McDermott want receiver Jeremy Maclin in Buffalo. Bills running back LeSean McCoy definitely does.

Speaking at his charity softball event on Sunday, McCoy said he has been recruiting his former Eagles teammate. Via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com, McCoy added, “Don’t be surprised if it happens.”

McCoy added that he has no inside information, but he said he has been speaking with Maclin.

The Chiefs abruptly cut Maclin on Friday evening, creating $10 million in cap space. The move made Maclin an immediate free agent.

Maclin has extensive experience in the West Coast-style passing offense, spending most of his career in Andy Reid’s version of it. Rick Dennison is incorporating the Mike Shanahan/Gary Kubiak West Coast offense at Buffalo.
Share this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/04/lesean-mccoy-recruits-jeremy-maclin-to-buffalo/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Included guarantees ?

Dwayne Bowe ...Jeremy Maclin...No Thanks....

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see us develop our own guys as I feel there is potential here. JMO

I agree...Depending on how this season plays out..The Browns could always go for a guy like ..
Christian Kirk from Texas A&M
Calvin Ridley From Alabama
Parris Campbell from Ohio State... He may be a good 2nd round pick up. If not a low round first.

How does that help you this year?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeisleDawg
Quote:

Included guarantees ?

Dwayne Bowe ...Jeremy Maclin...No Thanks....

That's like saying we shouldn't have drafted Myles Garrett because Johnny Manziel was the same age and from the same school ... I have no idea what Maclin is like as a person, but I'd at least have him in and kick the tires

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
A couple of things:

Two people have compared Maclin to Bowe. They are completely different. One relied on sheer size and athletic talent but was lazy and soft. The other has physical skills, but is a very good route runner and as professional as can be.

Other than them playing for KC, there is no comparison.

The second thing is that Tru mentioned Buffalo making a run at Maclin early in the thread. Nice job, Tru.

Legend
Legend
Lazy and soft were not words used to describe Bowe before he came to Cleveland.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/12468898/dwayne-bowe-released-kansas-city-chiefs

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
The only problem is, you don't take a #2 WR 15th overall. You take someone actually worth game planning around a little that high. Coleman worth game planning around from what you've seen thus far?

Well Coleman is in his 2nd year, when they took him Terrell Pryor was still on the team. And When they took Coleman it was after the 2015 season, so Travis Benjamin had been about the top receiver the previous year.

If you don't like that he was taken with the 15th overall pick, what does that have to do with now, going forward.
I could say that I think Pettine would have had them closer to 6 wins last year and the approaching year, but it doesn't matter anymore.

I was just answering Peen's question about it being okay having a few #2 WRs on the team. You don't select someone that high to have him just be a #2 the whole time and just "be another guy on the field".

That was the only point I was trying to make, whether Coleman had Travis or TP is all irrelevant to me. You get selected that high, demands are set.

You don't see me sweating on Louis or the other WRs we drafted that year, because we didn't draft them 15th overall. Something is telling me, we shouldn't have drafted Corey that high either.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 06/05/17 07:54 AM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That's not true. I told you guys that he was both when we signed him and I posted articles w/videos of him and his alligator arms across the middle.

Sorry bro, those two WRs are not alike.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1525260.amp.html

Dwayne Bowe would have struggles with his weight, effort, and habits well before Cleveland...heck he also isolated himself against fellow NFL players by throwing them under the bus...I wanted nothing of Bowe when we inked him and the guy simply collected a check here...

Maclin is a crafty high effort player, he is noted to put extra time into his game. Though rather quiet, I know coaches and peers have praised his work ethic and leadership.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Landing Spots for Maclin:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813028/article/potential-landing-spots-for-jeremy-maclin

Cleveland Browns

Let's just start this point by saying this one isn't happening, but we have to list it, because on paper, the Browns still show a need at receiver. But the Maclin/Cleveland union won't happen, because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card). Maclin is 29. Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention, so it would be more worthwhile to get its quartet of second-year wideouts (Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Ricardo Louis) some valuable playing time

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Personally I just don't see this FO going after Maclin after we Released our own Vet Hawkins. Who I thought still had game.

jmho.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Oh god I remember when Bowe and Hartline got signed all the Farmer Fan Club members were predicting how those were gonna terrorize
Defenses
Maclin and Bowe are so opposite of WRs.one has had very productive career outside of injury and the other suckered the Browns into a nice payday

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think some of you get too hung up on draft position. Once they are drafted and on the team, it doesn't matter where they are drafted.

While I won't get into whether Coleman was a good pick or not, because I believe it's far too early to tell, I will disagree with this statement.

We heard people cheering because we took on a 16 million dollar QB most think is a waste in order to get a 2nd round pick. Why? Because obviously people believe there's large value placed on a high draft pick. Football is a business. Draft picks are an investment in that business. The higher the investment, the more benefit your business should receive from that investment.

I believe it's unrealistic to say that any business doesn't look at return on investment and that's all this really boils down to. Business 101.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Everybody has a right to tell us no. If he can help, offer what we feel he is worth for a show-me at least, and see what happens. I think he can help us if healthy. May not be a steal signing, but could be a value signing IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Oh god I remember when Bowe and Hartline got signed all the Farmer Fan Club members were predicting how those were gonna terrorize
Defenses
Maclin and Bowe are so opposite of WRs.one has had very productive career outside of injury and the other suckered the Browns into a nice payday

I don't remember any love for Bowe when we signed him.

Agree Maclin and Bowe are completely different WR's.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Defenses

And many people who seemingly didn't like Farmer thought the Hartline move was a good one at the time.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Pit - I think Peen is saying that when evaluating acquisitions from other teams when the player has been in the NFL for a few years - their college performance and draft position is pretty immaterial compared to how they performed in the NFL. . . . we could go sign Jamarcus Russell who was a former #1 overall pick. No-one would be excited because he was a total bust in the NFL. If we signed Brady (hahaha) a former 6th round pick - we'd be pretty jazzed!

P
Legend
Legend
P
A player is always judged on where he is drafted. Unless Peen completely missed the mark in his post, which I sometimes do as well, he said people get hung up on that.

My point is, it makes all the difference in the world. If you spend 20k on one vehicle and 50k on another, you certainly expect a better product on the one you spent 50k for.

As you point out, it may not work out that way but those are the expectations when you purchase them. When I consider he was speaking about Corey Coleman and where he was drafted, I'm not sure how it is you came to your conclusion.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Defenses

And many people who seemingly didn't like Farmer thought the Hartline move was a good one at the time.

I thought Hartline was a good signing. And he was, for a #3 WR, with no QB. I thought Bowe was an awful signing. And he was. He was done before he got here, and totally ripped his buddy Farmer off. One of those "You got what you deserve" signings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Apologies - I thought the reference was in regard to where Maclin was drafted. I've not had enough time to be on the board recently and have been skimming.

Regarding this point on Coleman - I think the FO is judged on the players relative performance to where they were drafted. First round picks that are average or backups are not good picks even if they contribute to the team. Mingo was a guy that fell into that situation. Mingo was what he was - once he was a Brown it didn't really matter where he was selected to the team.... it did reflect mightily on the FO that selected him.

As for the player himself - I think it's a side note. Christian Kirksey is a very good football player - I think he's performed well above his 3rd round draft position. But where he was selected doesn't impact the contract he just earned or his value/contribution to the team. It's all about his performance on the field.

The only other variation on this line of thinking would be someone like Blake Bortles - who appears to be a pretty limited QB unless someone can mentor him and significantly develop him moving forward. . . . but despite this, he's likely to get more opportunity to turn it around than if he hadn't been such a high draft pick. . . . I don't think that thinking or "logic" is good. In fact it's detrimental to the team - but it's hard for organizations to except mistakes sometimes and they cling to 'hope' or accept mediocrity when it's "their guy"... imo

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, while I didn't like the Bowe acquisition, I did like us signing Hartline.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually what Kirksey shows a great return on a marginal investment. He has outplayed his draft status. That's exactly why he was rewarded with a nice contract.

It's still all about investment verses reward. Many fans see the NFL as a sport or game. That's only natural from a fans perspective.

But a FO and coaching staff, and yes, even the players are fully aware that it's big business. Which is why they are not judged so much on later round picks. Later picks are not costly and do not demand a big investment.

But when it comes to high draft picks and FA signings, where they were drafted or how much a FA is signed for are very important. It's how you grade those working for you from an evaluation standpoint.

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
A couple of things:

Two people have compared Maclin to Bowe. They are completely different. One relied on sheer size and athletic talent but was lazy and soft. The other has physical skills, but is a very good route runner and as professional as can be.

Other than them playing for KC, there is no comparison.

The second thing is that Tru mentioned Buffalo making a run at Maclin early in the thread. Nice job, Tru.

Thanks Vers! I kind of connected the dots prior to talks of LeSean McCoy urging him to buffalo...They have a pretty horrid WR situation as Watkins is always hurt and their cupboard is pretty bare as well...Plus Maclin has played in cold weather his entirety in Philly...

And you also are correct on Bowe, I provided a link where his poor lazy habits were questioned. Him coming in overweight..and some AFC scout(s) even pointed to steering away from Bowe in FA...guy was becoming a dud, and there was obvious points revealing it before we brought him to Cleveland...Maclin is a polar opposite.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/15252...nto-free-agency

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Actually what Kirksey shows a great return on a marginal investment. He has outplayed his draft status. That's exactly why he was rewarded with a nice contract.

It's still all about investment verses reward. Many fans see the NFL as a sport or game. That's only natural from a fans perspective.

But a FO and coaching staff, and yes, even the players are fully aware that it's big business. Which is why they are not judged so much on later round picks. Later picks are not costly and do not demand a big investment.

But when it comes to high draft picks and FA signings, where they were drafted or how much a FA is signed for are very important. It's how you grade those working for you from an evaluation standpoint.

Hmmmm - I think we're not entirely on the same page.

Once the player is drafted - it makes no difference where he was drafted to his future contracts and contribution to the team. It only matters in grading the FO.

Sticking with Kirksey - if he had been a first rounder, 2nd or 7th rounder - do you think his contract would have been different? I don't think so. I think his contract is 100% a reflection of what he has done on the NFL field of play.

Agree entirely that he has outperformed his draft status - and that's a positive reflection on the FO who selected him. . . one of the few bright spots for Farmer.

1st String
1st String
Know that the Bills are trying to get him. As that a lot of players like Taylor and McCoy want him there.

June Summertime 2024!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL.com pumps breaks on Maclin to Browns

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/NFLcom-pumps-breaks-on-Maclin-to-Browns-53038201

Why Cleveland is not a fit for Jeremy Maclin.

The Cleveland Browns were one of the first teams mentioned in connection with the recently released wide receiver Jeremy Maclin.

While the team needs production at the position, adding a nearly 30-year old veteran does not fit into the team's agenda. NFL.com's Nick Shook explained why the Missouri native will not end up in Cleveland any time soon.

"Let's just start this point by saying this one isn't happening, but we have to list it, because on paper, the Browns still show a need at receiver. But the Maclin/Cleveland union won't happen, because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card). Maclin is 29. Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention, so it would be more worthwhile to get its quartet of second-year wideouts (Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Ricardo Louis) some valuable playing time."

The Browns made an effort to sign Maclin before he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Last season, he recorded 44 receptions for 536 yards and two touchdowns.

Cleveland's returning lead receiver is running back Duke Johnson Jr. He recorded 53 receptions for 514 yards. The top receiver is Corey Coleman. He accumulated 33 receptions for 413 yards and three touchdowns. Returning wide receivers combined for just 58 catches last season.

The Browns are still roughly $62 million under the NFL salary cap.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We're not a target because we're loaded at WR. Duh!

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Vambo
NFL.com pumps breaks on Maclin to Browns

http://cle.247sports.com/Bolt/NFLcom-pumps-breaks-on-Maclin-to-Browns-53038201

Why Cleveland is not a fit for Jeremy Maclin.

The Cleveland Browns were one of the first teams mentioned in connection with the recently released wide receiver Jeremy Maclin.

While the team needs production at the position, adding a nearly 30-year old veteran does not fit into the team's agenda. NFL.com's Nick Shook explained why the Missouri native will not end up in Cleveland any time soon.

"Let's just start this point by saying this one isn't happening, but we have to list it, because on paper, the Browns still show a need at receiver. But the Maclin/Cleveland union won't happen, because the Browns treat anyone near 30 like they've just become eligible for an AARP card (or, for Ohioans, the Golden Buckeye card). Maclin is 29. Cleveland isn't a veteran wideout away from contention, so it would be more worthwhile to get its quartet of second-year wideouts (Corey Coleman, Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton, Ricardo Louis) some valuable playing time."

The Browns made an effort to sign Maclin before he signed with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Last season, he recorded 44 receptions for 536 yards and two touchdowns.

Cleveland's returning lead receiver is running back Duke Johnson Jr. He recorded 53 receptions for 514 yards. The top receiver is Corey Coleman. He accumulated 33 receptions for 413 yards and three touchdowns. Returning wide receivers combined for just 58 catches last season.

The Browns are still roughly $62 million under the NFL salary cap.

While I don't think Maclin will end up here for a few reasons, I don't think age is the main reason. NFL.com forgets that we just signed Jason McCourty, who is older than Maclin.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin

Link Copied to Clipboard