Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
We're not a target because we're loaded at WR. Duh!

I think that the Browns have quite a few WRs they really like; Coleman, Britt, Higgins, Louis, and Hall, for starters. I think that they want to give their 2nd year guys a chance to win jobs this year.

The Browns had some OTA video on their site, and Louis showed really solid hands. It was almost a highlight reel for him. He also made a couple of strong 1 hand catches. I think that we'll see a lot of 2 TE from the Browns this year, with Njoku ans DeValve

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's pretty apparent the Browns like these guys. Whether or not they are right is up for debate. Louis has always struggled w/his hands. Highlight reels don't always tell the story.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It's pretty apparent the Browns like these guys. Whether or not they are right is up for debate. Louis has always struggled w/his hands. Highlight reels don't always tell the story.

You're right, but he sure looks confident in his ability to catch the ball, and that hasn't always been the case for him in Cleveland. How he has to do it against the best other teams have to offer. It's encouraging, but not settled.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Fair enough.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Everyone loves louis in practice but he would be the first guy that ever learned to catch after becoming a pro. I cant think of a single one that learned to catch after really not being able to catch anything in college.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, by the time you get to the NFL..........I don't think you are going to "learn how to catch," "significantly improve arm strength," "become a great tackler," etc

B
Legend
Legend
B
As YTBF said, I think we are pretty commited to giving the 2nd year guys a chance. That doesn't mean I wouldn't make a run at Macklin, but I have cooled on that a bit in the last day or so.

He is nearing the No-no age for this FO, he is headed back after a injury season, and his numbers dropped. None of that points to they type of player we have been signing the last year or two.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I think that the Browns have quite a few WRs they really like; Coleman, Britt, Higgins, Louis, and Hall, for starters. I think that they want to give their 2nd year guys a chance to win jobs this year.

The Browns had some OTA video on their site, and Louis showed really solid hands. It was almost a highlight reel for him. He also made a couple of strong 1 hand catches. I think that we'll see a lot of 2 TE from the Browns this year, with Njoku ans DeValve

I think Hue will also be creative with how Seth DeValve will be used. Perhaps some slot WR action? I'd add him to the group of second year "receivers" as well.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I see a 2 TE set with Devale and Njoju as our base O. I see a lot of mismatch opportunities and it opening up the running game.

The are going to have to pull a backer with that line-up if they expect to cover both of those guys. That or not cover the deep part of the field by using a safety to cover one of them.

I think we might have a fairly explosive O this season if the trigger can be half way decent.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Forgot about Hall. He's someone who I've heard they like too. It's just such an unproven group.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

No doubt you're right, and this year will tell a tale. Njoku was certainly brought in as a pass catching threat. Louis has the size but has questionable hands, and his route running and ability to separate are questionable. Maybe time with Saunders can improve his route running, but his hands could still be a big question mark. Higgins runs good routes, but has a tiny frame. He may have similar issues as Coleman, in that he could wear down over the season. Ditto Hall.

Projecting forward, when you look at team needs, my guess is that we come out of the season with WR as one of the teams biggest needs. Right now, with Coleman as our "#1" and a HUGE question mark, I'd expect to see them go after a Sutton, Ridley, or even St. Brown or Auden Tate to add some size to that room. They may want to develop their picks, but IMHO, they'll end the season with the WR issue largely unresolved.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I think we might have a fairly explosive O this season if the trigger can be half way decent.

I think our offense is going to be at--or very close to--the bottom of the league, just like we usually are.

We were 30th in yards and 31st in points per game. We lost our best skilled player and maybe got worse at qb. We could have a better center if he can stay healthy and improved some at guard.

A lot of things are going to have to go right just to score a TD. I think it's going to be another long year.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/06/17 08:59 AM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed. I expect defenses to try to contain Njoku and take away the run. Then what do you have? tongue Our receivers one on one with the corners? Not a huge advantage.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...right now our 6 best Receivers are:
Coleman, Britt, Louis, Njoku, Devalve and Duke.
We also have Higgins, Hall and Payton fighting for a spot.

As noted we released Hawkins I just don't see us going for Maclin.

Possibly if we are on a SB run and its a need. But we believe in the talent that we have and know they are young and looking to see them all grow!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Could be.

I only say what i say because I keep reading about Hue being sorry we didn't run more.

We made improvements to the line which should help. I see 2 TE sets as a way to possibly get guys out of the box. I agree that will only work if we can in fact get the ball to them when we don't run. It also means that one of the wide outs is going to have to be able to take advantage of a 1 on 1 match-up.

I think we have a chance of doing that, but I also agree you could be closer to the reality than I.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Agreed. I expect defenses to try to contain Njoku and take away the run. Then what do you have? tongue Our receivers one on one with the corners? Not a huge advantage.

As an offensive coordinator, I think you have to be happy if you get to the point where your WR's are consistently one on one with a DB. If you can't design plays to make that work then you either have the world's worst WR's or the world's worst OC. I don't think our WR's scream out as a strength by any means - but I don't think they are that bad either. But the more I think on it the more I think Maclin makes a lot of sense for the Browns. He's a high quality WR - route running, ethics, hard working .... and at 29 he's probably got 2 or 3 good years back (if healthy). If a SB / Playoff team doesn't come knocking at his door - then I think we are as viable as most teams.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
How old is Britt? I thought he was 28 or 29. We gave him pretty good money. And Maclin is a better WR than Britt.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I think you under value Devalve.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I think you under value Devalve.

Devalve had 10 catches in 12 games for 127 yards last year.

E
Legend
Legend
E
stats are for losers...lol

What the heck does that mean??? not the saying above but the need for you to put some stats down last year about Devalve...who as a rookie did not get the reps.

Peen was responding to a TE blocking on the first 2 downs...Devalve worked on his blocking skills and gained 22 lbs of muscle. I think he's committed to block and be our Starting TE.
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Let me guess. You interpreted my post as a personal attack against you and if I respond, you will say I started it?

M
Legend
Legend
M
How old is Britt? I thought he was 28 or 29. We gave him pretty good money. And Maclin is a better WR than Britt.

I agree - but the injury is the ??? factor with Maclin. And KC are a good team who will expect to go to the playoffs. When good teams jettison good players its a red flag. I'm never in favor of burning cap space just because we have it - but with the space we have the WR's we have and the work ethic and professionalism Maclin could bring - I am 100% on board with signing him.

As for Britt - I like Pryor a lot. Wish we still had him - but I do not think Britt is a bum. I think he's at least a genuine #2. Maybe a bit better than that.

As for our offense -- I expect it to be much better next year. I disagree that the QB situation could be worse than having 4 QB's start - having a rookie thrown in week 3 with no reps with the 1st team. Assuming Cody hasn't progressed an iota physically - just the reps and experience make him better ... or maybe more accurately more prepared which translates to better production.

RT is a ??? - but the line is at least 30-40% better in my opinion - it's improved by significantly more than just the sum of it's parts. And while RT is ???? until they take the field I think Coleman is going to 'break out' and own that spot for the season.

I understand the question about DeValve - but I think Njoku looks like a beast. He's got to be able to consistently catch and make plays.... and that is another ????. But honestly I don't believe he will perform worse than Barnidge last year - 55 rec 2 TD.

But at this point with so many ??? it is speculation.... other than saying adding a healthy Maclin would make this year's Browns a better team.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Logical.

D
Legend
Legend
D

And this is the summary of why I'm pretty concerned here regarding our WR unit.

Exactly as questioned, take away the run potential and David - what do you have?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888

As an offensive coordinator, I think you have to be happy if you get to the point where your WR's are consistently one on one with a DB. If you can't design plays to make that work then you either have the world's worst WR's or the world's worst OC. I don't think our WR's scream out as a strength by any means - but I don't think they are that bad either. But the more I think on it the more I think Maclin makes a lot of sense for the Browns. He's a high quality WR - route running, ethics, hard working .... and at 29 he's probably got 2 or 3 good years back (if healthy). If a SB / Playoff team doesn't come knocking at his door - then I think we are as viable as most teams.

Thing is, I don't know if they're the worst or not. tongue The sample size is too small, and we don't even know what the QB play looks like. I'd like to sign Macklin, I just don't think the FO will make the leap. Of course, it's JMHO.

Peen, I don't undervalue Devalve, again, the sample size is too small. Regardless, IMO, we need two viable threats on the outside to allow the O to run with all options available. I'm not sure we have even one right now.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Jeremy Maclin - WR - Free Agent

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jeremy Maclin is visiting the Bills on Tuesday.
Schefter adds "plans (are) being made" for Maclin to visit the Ravens on Wednesday with the Browns and Eagles also reportedly interested, but that assumes he gets out of Buffalo without a deal. Both LeSean McCoy and Tyrod Taylor have recruited Maclin while Sammy Watkins (foot) and Zay Jones (knee) are dealing with injuries. Even coming off a career-worst campaign, Maclin would represent a massive upgrade to Buffalo's depth chart.

Related: Ravens, Bills, Browns, Eagles

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jun 6 - 8:30 AM

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At least we're "interested".

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D

Yeah, kudos for our staff for least releasing it's a weak spot... IMO I don't think he leaves Buffalo without a contract today.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 06/06/17 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You're probably right.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Yeah, kudos for our staff for least releasing it's a weak spot... IMO I don't think he leaves Buffalo without a contract today.

Or the agent(s) threw out teams that makes sense based on need to drive his clients' market value up. Then the press ran with it.

Not saying the Browns are not interested, but you never know where this information is coming from.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I doubt he signs here too. We may be able to pick up a vet or 2 when cuts start if our staff feels we don't have enough talent at the position. Like I've said, hopefully our young guys step up in TC.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:

I think our offense is going to be at--or very close to--the bottom of the league, just like we usually are.

We were 30th in yards and 31st in points per game. We lost our best skilled player and maybe got worse at qb. We could have a better center if he can stay healthy and improved some at guard.

A lot of things are going to have to go right just to score a TD. I think it's going to be another long year.

I think a lot will depend on how efficiently and effectively they run the football. IMO, teams will continue crowding the box until this offense forces otherwise. It is obvious Hue/Sashi are not fortifying the passing game. Money spent enhancing the OL. Running backs are more experienced so play must come from this group.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a strong feeling our receiver corps could change drastically following cut day.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
j/c

Isn't there a waiting period after KC released Maclin? Unsure of the time period but I believe teams could not talk to Maclin otherwise it is tampering. I am not sure players convincing other players falls into the rule or not.

I am interested seeing where Maclin signs. He stands to make some coin. Does he chose championship play instead?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bugs
j/c

Isn't there a waiting period after KC released Maclin? Unsure of the time period but I believe teams could not talk to Maclin otherwise it is tampering. I am not sure players convincing other players falls into the rule or not.

I am interested seeing where Maclin signs. He stands to make some coin. Does he chose championship play instead?

soon as he signed his release papers he is free to talk to whomever he choses, he doesn't have to clear waivers or anything as he is a veteran.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Originally Posted By: bugs
j/c

soon as he signed his release papers he is free to talk to whomever he choses, he doesn't have to clear waivers or anything as he is a veteran.

Which was 4pm EST time yesterday (Monday.)

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab

But we believe in the talent that we have
jmho

I'm not sure who the "we" is included in your statement. If there's one thing I've learned over the past 18 years it's to be very cautious about taking anything seriously the people trying to sell tickets have to say.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...right now our 6 best Receivers are:
Coleman, Britt, Louis, Njoku, Devalve and Duke.
We also have Higgins, Hall and Payton fighting for a spot.

As noted we released Hawkins I just don't see us going for Maclin.

Possibly if we are on a SB run and its a need. But we believe in the talent that we have and know they are young and looking to see them all grow!

jmho

Browns reportedly have “expressed some interest” in WR Jeremy Maclin

The recently-released receiver could be looking at Cleveland after visits to Buffalo and Baltimore.

D
Legend
Legend
D
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns have "inquired" on free agent Jeremy Maclin and done their "due diligence."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported Tuesday morning that Maclin could make a visit to Cleveland. When asked about the team's reported interest, coach Hue Jackson said "that's a good thing." The Browns have intriguing pieces at wideout, but no proven depth behind new No. 1 Kenny Britt.Related: Browns

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Jun 6 - 3:28 PM

D
Legend
Legend
D
Sashi and company should at the very least do their "due diligence" and etc.

Love that Schefter is reporting it too, you can actually maybe buy into the story a little.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin

Link Copied to Clipboard