Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jun/23/senate-announced-probe-loretta-lynch-behavior-2016/

Senate announces probe of Loretta Lynch behavior in 2016 election

The Senate Judiciary Committee has opened a probe into former Attorney General Loretta Lynch’s efforts to shape the FBI’s investigation into 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, the committee’s chairman announced Friday.

In a letter to Ms. Lynch, the committee asks her to detail the depths of her involvement in the FBI’s investigation, including whether she ever assured Clinton confidantes that the probe wouldn’t “push too deeply into the matter.”

Fired FBI Director James B. Comey has said publicly that Ms. Lynch tried to shape the way he talked about the investigation into Mrs. Clinton’s emails, and he also hinted at other behavior “which I cannot talk about yet” that made him worried about Ms. Lynch’s ability to make impartial decisions.

Mr. Comey said that was one reason why he took it upon himself to buck Justice Department tradition and reveal his findings about Mrs. Clinton last year.

The probe into Ms. Lynch comes as the Judiciary Committee is already looking at President Trump’s firing of Mr. Comey.

Sen. Charles E. Grassley, chairman of the committee, said the investigation is bipartisan. The letter to Ms. Lynch is signed by ranking Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein and also by Sens. Lindsey Graham and Sheldon Whitehouse, the chairman and ranking member of the key investigative subcommittee.

Letters also went to Clinton campaign staffer Amanda Renteria and Leonard Benardo and Gail Scovell at the Open Society Foundations. Mr. Benardo was reportedly on an email chain from the then-head of the Democratic National Committee suggesting Ms. Lynch had given assurances to Ms. Renteria, the campaign staffer, that the Clinton probe wouldn’t “go too far.”

At a Senate hearing earlier this month, Mr. Comey told lawmakers that Ms. Lynch had attempted to change the way the FBI described its probe of Mrs. Clinton’s use of a private email server. The change appeared to dovetail with how Mrs. Clinton’s supporters were characterizing the probe.

“At one point, [Ms. Lynch] directed me not to call it an ‘investigation’ but instead to call it a ‘matter,’ which confused me and concerned me,” Mr. Comey said during his June 8 testimony before the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. “That was one of the bricks in the load that led me to conclude I have to step away from the department if we are to close this case credibly.”

Acknowledging that he didn’t know whether it was intentional, Mr. Comey said Ms. Lynch’s request “gave the impression the attorney general was looking to align the way we talked about our investigation with the way a political campaign was describing the same activity.”

Mr. Comey said the language suggested by Ms. Lynch was troublesome because it closely mirrored what the Clinton campaign was using. Despite his discomfort, Mr. Comey said, he agreed to Ms. Lynch’s language.

Legend
Legend
Oh what a tangled web the Liberals weave when first they decide investigations will meet their needs.

It seems it is true that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones at Trump.

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
Oh what a tangled web the Liberals weave when first they decide investigations will meet their needs.

It seems it is true that people who live in glass houses should not throw stones at Trump.

Yes, it will be insightful watch how those who assumed Trump was guilty because he was accused of something, now turn around and stress the importance that people are innocent until proven guilty, and that the investigation is ongoing.

It will also be amusing to see how those who demonized Trump allegedly asking Comey to let something go, now turn around and justify the much more potent words that Lynch is alleged to have said.

Legend
Legend
Not My Attorney General!!!

Unnamed sources say she should get the death penalty.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 06/23/17 03:16 PM.
Legend
Legend
I have little doubt that she is a political schmuck who was looking out for own party, her own power structure, and trying to ensure her future through doing something totally unethical, if not illegal.. but even if she pays dearly for it, I find no great joy in knowing this goes on consistently at the highest level of government by either/both parties... and that there will be a long line of people willing to take this risk to stuff like this again.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
It is certainly not good for America, but America has not been the focus since November of 16.

Where will it all end? I fear living in an empty swamp. willynilly

O
Legend
Legend
O
She should be investigated, that was a very odd thing to have happen and screamed corruption.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Legend
Legend
A
DC.......along your line of thought:

First, Comey may be the most disliked person in Washington DC right now.

Second, comey is a self admitted leaker..........and ALONG with that, I think it should give us ALL an insight as to how DC works.

Why is it Comey felt the need to leak things? Is it because he knew or was afraid that if he went through the normal/regular channels, things would get swept under the rug - in any case? Clinton, Trump, now Warren.

Myself - I think it does show a pattern by politicians and politically appointed people.

Left, right, and in between. D, R, I. Once you get in "power", you do what you can to stay in power.

Maybe COMEY will be the one to drain the swamp? He's ticked off dems about hillary, he's ticked off trump and R's over trump/russia, and now he's back to ticking off dem's again?

Problem is, congress does these "investigations", and trust me, doesn't matter what gets said in hearings, etc. Deals get made in the bars and resaurants in dc, after cspan etc have their cameras off.

Legend
Legend
Cool, hope they figure it out.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

Or unlike you, us liberals on his board treats everything as separate issues.

Investigate lynch. This is the right thing to do.

Investigating trump is also the right thing to do. These issues are not related.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Second, comey is a self admitted leaker..........and ALONG with that, I think it should give us ALL an insight as to how DC works.

Why is it Comey felt the need to leak things? Is it because he knew or was afraid that if he went through the normal/regular channels, things would get swept under the rug - in any case? Clinton, Trump, now Warren.

The way the dems and the reps both dislike Comey, leads me to believe he might be one of the most honest people in Washington.

As for why he didn't go through normal channels.. maybe he wasn't ready to have an accident or suddenly commit suicide... those things happen.

yebat' Putin
D
Legend
Legend
D
*song to th elyrics of the song .....

Money money money ... money ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

The way the dems and the reps both dislike Comey, leads me to believe he might be one of the most honest people in Washington.

I don't mind people telling the truth. Of course if you call it leaking you put a sinister tone on honesty.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Comey interjected himself in the election and helped to take down Hillary.

Now Comey interjects himself again in an effort to take down Trump.

Seems to me we have a fellow here who is full of himself.

I also wonder if you are the guy who the Democrats and the Republicans hate, who do you think will take the hardest fall in all of this? Yep, probably you.

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 06/23/17 05:52 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lynch was stupid in meeting Bill Clinton on the tarmac.

That and the quip about having the FBI call it a matter versus an investigation is another point that came back to haunt her.

She should have not tried to play politics, but that is a hard thing to do.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
DC.......along your line of thought:

First, Comey may be the most disliked person in Washington DC right now.

Myself - I think it does show a pattern by politicians and politically appointed people.

Left, right, and in between. D, R, I. Once you get in "power", you do what you can to stay in power.

Maybe COMEY will be the one to drain the swamp? He's ticked off dems about hillary, he's ticked off trump and R's over trump/russia, and now he's back to ticking off dem's again?

Problem is, congress does these "investigations", and trust me, doesn't matter what gets said in hearings, etc. Deals get made in the bars and resaurants in dc, after cspan etc have their cameras off.

I am Clemdawg... and I approve this message.
(DC's, too.)

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
+1

Smart people in high places do st00pid **** all the time.
This was one of them.
Big time.

If a magnifying glass gets placed on her azz, she's got no one to blame but herself. And talk about bad judgement... what self-respecting woman would ever allow herself to be in the company of Slick Willie without witnesses around for verification/protection?
rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"
O
Legend
Legend
O
j/c

I think any time there is so much smoke you must check everywhere for the fire. I don't care who they investigate, I just want the truth.

40 and others defending Trump by calling the investigation(s) into him somehow unwarranted or dems calling Clinton/Lynch investigations unwarranted are all crazy as loons. If it looks like something corrupt is going on in DC, it probably is. Even when it doesn't look like it's corrupt, it probably is...

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
j/c

I think any time there is so much smoke you must check everywhere for the fire. I don't care who they investigate, I just want the truth.

40 and others defending Trump by calling the investigation(s) into him somehow unwarranted or dems calling Clinton/Lynch investigations unwarranted are all crazy as loons. If it looks like something corrupt is going on in DC, it probably is. Even when it doesn't look like it's corrupt, it probably is...

For the record, I don't mind the investigations into Trump or into the administration or whatever. The part that has bothered me is the presumption of guilt, the confirmation bias that made every coincidental meeting into something sinister, the laughably premature calls for treason/ouster and all of that. It could still happen that the FBI's investigation turns up something big. We'll see.

About Lynch: same idea as above. I will say the layers of bias (some of which are unavoidable, due to how our government is set up) were pretty crazy.

She was the Attorney General, and thus the only person in the world who could prosecute Hillary Clinton.

She was appointed by Barack Obama, who campaigned vigorously on Hillary's behalf.

Lynch was previously appointed as a federal attorney by Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton's husband. They were caught in a secret meeting on the tarmac, where they supposedly talked about their grandchildren.

There was never a chance that Lynch would aggressively pursue charges against Clinton as that would be seen as treason within the party and would have all but handed the election to Trump.

Outside of the completely inappropriate meeting with Bill Clinton at a time when Hillary's fate was in limbo, none of the above is meant to be damning toward Lynch. I just always found it a bit unsettling. Perhaps liberals will share my frustration at some future date if it appears that Jeff Sessions doesn't fully push an investigation into some prominent Republican... you never know.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I certainly don't believe your opinion to be even handed. The presumption of guilt has been held onto by the right about Hillary from the very beginning.

Now I don't care for people holding a presumption of guilt either. But I do find it hypocritical that either side has the gonads to claim the presumption of guilt is one sided. Many of the same people who professed Hillary was guilty for years are now somehow butt hurt when one of theirs is getting the same treatment from the left.

I think the entire thing is saddening. But on a side note, sometimes you get what you give.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Senate announces probe of Loretta Lynch's behavior in 2016 election

Link Copied to Clipboard