Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Legend
Legend
IMO the front office has made some good and some bad moves so far. I am not ready to judge them "Suprise suprise" They deserve another one to two FULL years before we deceide what they have done is either good or bad.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know 101. Sorry. I just had to head others off at the pass, if you know what I mean. wink

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: mac
Those who accept "WE TRIED"...

...you are simply making excuses for the analytics boys failure to get the job done.

If Jimmy and Sashi now have issues at the WR position...they created the entire problem themselves.

Jimmy and Sashi decided who to draft, who to sign and who to pass on. They passed on a lot of WR talent that fit the mold that the HC described...bigger, stronger and faster WRs.

The present situation the Browns are facing at WR is 100% on the Browns owner and Sashi Brown.

When it comes to sign a contract with your players, there is no in between answer...you either get the players signed or you fail to sign that player.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE BROWNS FAILURE TO ADD TOP WR TALENT...they had their chances and the present WR situation is the result.

It all comes down to the judgement of the Analytics guys, the Owner and our GM.

Give it more time.
Jeremy Maclin wasn't going to sing an 2 year 11 million dollar deal with the Browns, because nobody like Maclin is going to want to play for a team that loses so often.

The Browns have lost respect around the league vs all 31 other teams.

The Browns are not going to get their respect back until they start winning on a consistent basis.
They won't win consistenty as long as better players, who are free agents, have their choice, and the prevailing opinion all over the country is the Browns are a million to one odds to win a championship, or even make the playoffs, ongoing, for more than a decade, and going on a generation.

If, an organization, like the team he signed for, can show a free agent that the team has about 8 or 9 key role players on offense, and they are top quality guys, and if you join them you will fit into one of those spots, and together, you'd have a real shot, because one, that team made the playoffs and the superbowl twice since 2000, then surely a good free agent would want to be a part of that, and sign there.

And a team like them can say one thing the Browns just can't say. They get to play the Browns, twice a year, and the Browns lose so often.

So YES! The Browns are not signing the best of the best!
And constantly pointing it out is going to accomplish, what?

And Yes, I said. AS long as your team is so awful, the teams in your division will be able to say they get to play against you, twice a year, and that will help them land free agents, who want to win.

Be honest. Wouldn't you like to look at the Browns schedule and see a team in your division, that only won 1 game last year, and only 3 the year before that, and hasn't made the playoffs since 2001,

You'd be like, OK! at least we know we're going to beat them twice, win 7 of the other 14 and we're in for a wild card maybe.

Maybe that's the difference between the Browns and the other teams in the AFC North. The Browns don't get the Browns on their schedule.

If this is going to change, it's going to have to change.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree, bro. I didn't like some of the early moves, but I really do like a lot of their recent moves and some of their early moves.

Despite what some posters keep saying about me [and of course I have to ignore their fabrications or risk suspension,] I have said over and over that I try to evaluate each move based on its individual merits. It's too early to give a summative evaluation.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
no worries my man smile

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I agree, bro. I didn't like some of the early moves, but I really do like a lot of their recent moves and some of their early moves.

Despite what some posters keep saying about me [and of course I have to ignore their fabrications or risk suspension,] I have said over and over that I try to evaluate each move based on its individual merits. It's too early to give a summative evaluation.

I know you post from the heart bro. You get bashed more often than you should, I get listed as a homer more than I should. BUT time will always bear out the truth.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Okay, but I don't think my reply was nearly as nasty, mean, and confrontational as jfan's post about mac's reaction to when a tree falls, peen's comment about mac taking his crap out of here, and GM's "Do you hate God as well because he didn't save the entire world in YOUR TIMEFRAME?"

I actually provided links about Britt's troubles and gave a few facts. I don't think that was all that mean compared to the abuse mac got.

But, that's just my opinion.

My comment wasn't mean. He has been nursing his FO thread for months, then he comes out of there to spread his front office BS in a football thread about a player. If he gets to keep his BS front office thread up for 6 months to spread his crap, I don't expect to hear him say [censored] in other threads about the FO. He needs to keep his crap in his thread. He needs to keep his puss in his thread. That is as in a infection.

Be real!

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
With all due respect, mac voiced his opinion and did not insult anyone. Not sure what is wrong w/voicing an opinion?

Furthermore, this kinda is a FO thing. Our WR unit is a huge concern. Maclin is a true professional who can run the complete route tree. It seems like he would be a great fit, but it "appears" that he never even came in for a visit.

I'm not dogging the FO here, but I think mac had the right to voice his disapproval and not be attacked for it.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

...you are simply making excuses for the analytics boys failure to get the job done.

If Jimmy and Sashi now have issues at the WR position...they created the entire problem themselves.

Jimmy and Sashi decided who to draft, who to sign and who to pass on. They passed on a lot of WR talent that fit the mold that the HC described...bigger, stronger and faster WRs.

The present situation the Browns are facing at WR is 100% on the Browns owner and Sashi Brown.

When it comes to sign a contract with your players, there is no in between answer...you either get the players signed or you fail to sign that player.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR THE BROWNS FAILURE TO ADD TOP WR TALENT...they had their chances and the present WR situation is the result.

Give it more time.
Jeremy Maclin wasn't going to sing an 2 year 11 million dollar deal with the Browns, because nobody like Maclin is going to want to play for a team that loses so often.

The Browns have lost respect around the league vs all 31 other teams.

The Browns are not going to get their respect back until they start winning on a consistent basis.
They won't win consistenty as long as better players, who are free agents, have their choice, and the prevailing opinion all over the country is the Browns are a million to one odds to win a championship, or even make the playoffs, ongoing, for more than a decade, and going on a generation.

If, an organization, like the team he signed for, can show a free agent that the team has about 8 or 9 key role players on offense, and they are top quality guys, and if you join them you will fit into one of those spots, and together, you'd have a real shot, because one, that team made the playoffs and the superbowl twice since 2000, then surely a good free agent would want to be a part of that, and sign there.

And a team like them can say one thing the Browns just can't say. They get to play the Browns, twice a year, and the Browns lose so often.

So YES! The Browns are not signing the best of the best!
And constantly pointing it out is going to accomplish, what?

And Yes, I said. AS long as your team is so awful, the teams in your division will be able to say they get to play against you, twice a year, and that will help them land free agents, who want to win.

Be honest. Wouldn't you like to look at the Browns schedule and see a team in your division, that only won 1 game last year, and only 3 the year before that, and hasn't made the playoffs since 2001,

You'd be like, OK! at least we know we're going to beat them twice, win 7 of the other 14 and we're in for a wild card maybe.

Maybe that's the difference between the Browns and the other teams in the AFC North. The Browns don't get the Browns on their schedule.

If this is going to change, it's going to have to change.

I can half way agree with you Throw.

I say half way. I would be a tad more on board but then this comes to mind.

Zeitler, Tretter, McCourty, Collins, J. Taylor. there were one or two others, but not at the caliber of these guys imo.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
mac gets ripped for being single-minded and rightfully so, however, I believe a lot of you just "like" just about every move the Browns make.

Here are some links to Britt. Tell me if you still like him:

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/nfl-athletes-in-trouble-with-the-law/34/

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2017/03/eagles_may_be_fortunate_that_kenny_britt_signed_wi.html

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1828769-has-kenny-britts-nfl-career-come-to-an-end

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/kenny-britt-police-chase-tennessee-titans-arrested-041211

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ear...m=.b57337ceccf1

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/...ms_in_past.html

Britt was a former first round pick who has been arrested 9 times and was a major disappointment in Tenn. They ended up giving up on him. Other than "he has to be good because our FO never makes mistakes," I'm not sure why people like him so much.

The Britt signing was a solid one. It wasn't amazing by any means and I'd put it behind both the Zeitler and Tretter signings in moves that got me excited - BUT he is a good wide receiver. Top 10 in the league...no. But starting quality? Absolutely.

I would have preferred Pryor had he not decided to that he should be paid top 5 money. However, Britt was a good consolation prize and I expect him to be productive.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/5c33a480-2077-33c4-bd6e-2e1de19f6792/ss_eric-decker-released-by-jets%2C.html

Eric Decker released by Jets, one surprise team reportedly already interested
The Eric Decker suspense is finally over in New York
John Breech

Jun 12, 2017 • 2 min read

One week after the Jets promised to get rid of Eric Decker, the team has finally made the move. The Jets announced Monday that Decker has been released after the team was unable to find a partner willing to trade for the veteran wide receiver.
The fate of the Jets receiver had been up in the air since June 6 when Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan made it known that the 30-year-old wouldn't be returning to New York for the 2017 season.
"We advised Eric that if a trade doesn't happen, we'll move forward without him," Maccagnan said last week.
Maccagnan and the Jets spent the past week trying to trade Decker, but the team had a hard time getting rid of the receiver because no other team wanted to take on his entire 2017 base salary of $7.25 million. According to ESPN.com, other teams wanted the Jets to eat some of that salary, but the team refused, and decided to release Decker instead.
SPONSORED BY MICROSOFT EDGE
Microsoft Edge is up to 27% faster than Chrome.
Don’t just browse. Browse at full throttle with the only browser designed for Windows 10.
One of the surprise teams that's already interested in Decker is the Baltimore Ravens. And yes, that's the same Ravens team that just signed Jeremy Maclin on Monday.
Apparently, the Ravens are trying to build an offensive arsenal for quarterback Joe Flacco. According to ESPN.com, the Ravens are still "in the running" to add Decker to their roster despite the addition of Maclin.
Baltimore won't have much cap room to work with if it wants to add Decker, but as CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora has pointed out, the team can be more flexible with a contract now that Decker is officially a free agent.
Follow
Jason La Canfora ✔ @JasonLaCanfora
If/when Decker is released could create more contract flexibility for suitors like the Ravens
5:06 PM - 12 Jun 2017
29 29 Retweets 34 34 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
The Ravens, who lost three of their top five receivers from 2016, were one of the first teams to reach out to the Jets about a possible trade when Maccagnan brought up the subject of dumping Decker last week.

Adding Decker along with Maclin would go a long way toward beefing up a Ravens receiving unit that has lost Steve Smith (retirement), tight end Dennis Pitta (released after injuring his hip) and Kamar Aiken (signed with the Colts) since the end of the 2016 season.
Although they had a clear lack of depth at receiver going into the offseason, the Ravens didn't do anything to fix that problem during the draft or free agency. Apparently, doing nothing is going to work for the Ravens with Maclin and potentially Decker falling into their laps.
If the Ravens are able to land Decker, they would be getting a former third-round pick who tallied 74 or more catches for four straight seasons (2012-15) before being limited to just three games during an injury-plagued 2016 season. Over the past nine months, Decker has undergone surgery on both his hip and his shoulder. However, the 30-year-old says that he's now healthy.
Decker, who signed a five-year, $36 million deal with the Jets in March 2014, only caught nine passes in 2016, which likely made it hard for the Jets to justify his $7.25 million base salary for the upcoming season.
SPONSORED BY ADT
Who’s Keeping Your Home Safe?
Having the right security system is the key to protecting your home. Discover all the features of ADT and how their home security tops the rest.
Before signing with the Jets before the 2014 season, Decker spent the first four years of his career in Denver.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If the Ravens get Decker too, that's a much improved offense

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
With all due respect, mac voiced his opinion and did not insult anyone. Not sure what is wrong w/voicing an opinion?

Furthermore, this kinda is a FO thing. Our WR unit is a huge concern. Maclin is a true professional who can run the complete route tree. It seems like he would be a great fit, but it "appears" that he never even came in for a visit.

I'm not dogging the FO here, but I think mac had the right to voice his disapproval and not be attacked for it.

With due respect, I disagree.

As I said earlier, it was reported we had interest. Not sure if that was interest, or real interest? I think you know what I mean by that. I am also not sure if Maclin had any interest in us. I think there comes a point in a players career when money isn't the #1 factor in deciding on where he might want to play. No doubt that Balt. has a better QB situation then we do at this time. Not only for this year, but probably next year as well, which is the duration of the contract signed.

Now we have Decker on the market. Of the two, I would rather sign Decker, but again, I am not sure he fits in with what it is we want to do. A 30 year old receiver just off a injury season...that just doesn't seem to fit the mold.

We have seen how we operate. I don't think there should be any surprise we didn't go hard after Maclin and probably won't after Decker.

No doubt that both Maclin and Decker have been good receivers in the past. I guess it boils down to if you want to take a chance on a aging receiver on the backside of the career who is off a injury season?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Take your FO talk to the FO thread. Stay of topic or zip it.

peen...the topic is, adding another WR via free agency.

My question goes deeper..why do the Browns suddenly have a WR issue?

Someone is responsible for the talent drafted and the Browns had the advantage of "analytics"..so why is there now concerns about the Browns' WR talent?

Why would the Browns even think of dipping into the free agent market again to add another WR?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think that is your meaning, but if so, fine.

I don't think we really need to do that. Especially on a WR who is 30 or so, off a injury year.

If this year proves the young receivers don't make progress and don't look to be any good, then yes, we will need to address the position once again.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, Baltimore would be a lot better if they add Decker to go along w/Maclin. I hope that doesn't happen.

I also hope the Browns sign him.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I saw something on NFL rumors. Biscotti had a phone conversation with season ticket holders last night. He said they probably weren't looking at another receiver. They were looking to beef up the O-line...just a FYI, for what it's worth.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

Yet, this is a post from you about the front office several months ago. Talk on....talk on.

Quote:
In fact, as I have laid out in detail, I think there are simply too many obstacles to overcome and this isn't going to end well.

Seems like a rather definitive evaluation to me.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I saw something on NFL rumors. Biscotti had a phone conversation with season ticket holders last night. He said they probably weren't looking at another receiver. They were looking to beef up the O-line...just a FYI, for what it's worth.

And that's where it needs to be as their O-Line is questionable at best. Hell, apart from Flacco, their entire offense is questionable.

Take Maclin...hell take Decker too. I'd bet that the Ravens finish sub .500

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

Someone is responsible for the talent drafted and the Browns had the advantage of "analytics"..so why is there now concerns about the Browns' WR talent?

Why would the Browns even think of dipping into the free agent market again to add another WR?

mac, I agree. Who is really saying there is a receiver issue? I admit there is a lot of unknown. Browns organization is petty confident with bringing in one guy Britt. To me, that is a statement. Hue acted surprised when he heard Sashi was taking with Maclin.

Browns certainly may have grossly overestimated their receiver talent. I agree that is a likely possibility. As of now, no one is making moves there is an issue.

Before lowering life boats lets see what this team has at least through a couple of preseason games. Getting Maclin or Decker improves the receiver corp, no doubt. I don't think it adds much in the win column.

The FO is building through youth. I have more concern if they decide adding vets this early in the year. It states they completely missed drafting four receivers last year. To me, this would be a more alarming issue.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
hmm...let's start with this lil gem.

"Originally Posted By: mac

It all comes down to the judgement of the Analytics guys, the Owner and our GM."

then comes this one.

"Originally Posted By: mac

Why would the Browns even think of dipping into the free agent market again to add another WR?"

I'm sorry but I am questioning what the real topic is.

bugs Online content

mac, I agree. Who is really saying there is a receiver issue? I admit there is a lot of unknown. Browns organization is petty confident with bringing in one guy Britt. To me, that is a statement. Hue acted surprised when he heard Sashi was taking with Maclin.

Browns certainly may have grossly overestimated their receiver talent. I agree that is a likely possibility. As of now, no one is making moves there is an issue.

Before lowering life boats lets see what this team has at least through a couple of preseason games. Getting Maclin or Decker improves the receiver corp, no doubt. I don't think it adds much in the win column.

The FO is building through youth. I have more concern if they decide adding vets this early in the year. It states they completely missed drafting four receivers last year. To me, this would be a more alarming issue."

Bugs I don't think we overestimated any of our Wr's from last years draft.

reason being...sorry Bugs not trying to bash you in anyway.

99% of this is in reply to Mac's posting...not bashing you either brother.

But as far as our four WR's drafted last year.

they had six different QB's throwing the ball to them.

a decimated o-line to protect the QB's, our QB's had lil time to throw the ball. And when they did they held on to the ball to long, resulting in sacks and errant throws.

that is six different throwing styles, six different throwing angles, six different reads, six different velocity of the ball.

very hard to build chemistry between the QB's and WR's. when the line and QB's change so much.

we drafted four WR's with our draft. hard to know what we have there just yet.

we addressed the O-line this year, the D-line, the TE's, the QB, the DB's.

there are only a finite amount of things we can do in one offseason.
We cannot fill them all in one draft.

like Bugs said we need to see if these new young kids can make a leap this year, before giving up on them.

sorry I dont know how to do multiple quotes. I hope you guys can dechiper what I am trying to say.

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL............Why don't you just tell us what you are trying to say?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
LOL............Why don't you just tell us what you are trying to say?

lol we don't know what we have in last years WR's draft...whew..lol

V
Legend
Legend
V
Got it. thumbsup

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Chiefs fire G.M. John Dorsey

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 22, 2017, 4:15 PM EDT
link

In a surprise announcement at what is ordinarily the slowest time of the year in the NFL, the Chiefs have fired General Manager John Dorsey.

The Chiefs issued a statement saying Dorsey is out.

“I notified John that we would not be extending his contract beyond the 2017 season, and after consideration, we felt it was in his best interests and the best interests of the team to part ways now,” owner Clark Hunt said in a statement.

That announcement came about half an hour after the Chiefs announced that head coach Andy Reid has signed a contract extension. That will obviously lead to speculation that perhaps Dorsey and Reid weren’t on the same page, and that Reid won a power struggle within the organization. Dorsey recently made the surprising decision to cut an old favorite of Reid’s, Jeremy Maclin.

Dorsey is the third G.M. to be fired since the start of the new league year in March, following Washington’s Scot McCloughan and Buffalo’s Doug Whaley.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Obviously Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey didn't agree on how the Chiefs valued Maclin. A few years when Reid was with the Eagles Reid and Joe Banner did not see eye to eye on several of the Eagles best players that Banner just could not get re-signed, allowing those players to leave, even though Reid wanted them re-signed.

Banner lost the power struggle with Reid and was fired by Eagles owner long time Banner friend Jeff Lurie. On the surface, the relationship between Reid and Chiefs GM John Dorsey may be similar to the situation Reid had with Banner in Philly.

In the end, it's up to the GM to furnish the talent the HC wants and when the GM fails to get his job done, it does create friction within the franchise.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Obviously Andy Reid and GM John Dorsey didn't agree on how the Chiefs valued Maclin. A few years when Reid was with the Eagles Reid and Joe Banner did not see eye to eye on several of the Eagles best players that Banner just could not get re-signed, allowing those players to leave, even though Reid wanted them re-signed.

Banner lost the power struggle with Reid and was fired by Eagles owner long time Banner friend Jeff Lurie. On the surface, the relationship between Reid and Chiefs GM John Dorsey may be similar to the situation Reid had with Banner in Philly.

In the end, it's up to the GM to furnish the talent the HC wants and when the GM fails to get his job done, it does create friction within the franchise.

So this is saying we'd be better off if we did something with whom?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I really saw nothing out of Higgins or Louis in 2016 that made me go "wow the Browns really struck gold"
Its not like the Browns were loaded at WR in 2016 in training camp. The number 1 and 2 spots were up.for grabs.
Higgins and Louis did worse than the mercurial dup of Brian Robotskie and Mohammed Massaflop in their rookie years
No team has drafted worse regarding WRS in the past 15 years than the Browns
In a league that gives offenses every advantage the Browns WRS have underformed other than a fluke year by Edwards and a dominant year by Gordon
Louis and Higgins combined had barely 300 yards and zero TDS last year!!
It doesn't matter the front office this franchise cannot draft or even find gems in free agency at WR.
Higgins and Louis are just reinforcing tradition
Corey Coleman struggled down the stretch when he was healthy
If you are in fantasy football don't even look the Browns way for a WR.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I think you'd be surprised.

Just off the top of my head.

The Rams.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/team-position/

Baltimores history of drafting WRs isn't too great either.

A lot of teams may have had one good guy here or there..

And I'm not saying we drafted them well or anything..

Last edited by ThatGuy; 06/22/17 06:53 PM.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
I really saw nothing out of Higgins or Louis in 2016 that made me go "wow the Browns really struck gold"
Its not like the Browns were loaded at WR in 2016 in training camp. The number 1 and 2 spots were up.for grabs.
Higgins and Louis did worse than the mercurial dup of Brian Robotskie and Mohammed Massaflop in their rookie years
In a league that gives offenses every advantage the Browns WRS have underformed other than a fluke year by Edwards and a dominant year by Gordon
Louis and Higgins combined had barely 300 yards and zero TDS last year!!
It doesn't matter the front office this franchise cannot draft or even find gems in free agency at WR.
Higgins and Louis are just reinforcing tradition
Corey Coleman struggled down the stretch when he was healthy
If you are in fantasy football don't even look the Browns way for a WR.

The Browns started Pryor and Coleman. (when he was healthy) They used Hawkins next. They had 5 different guys play QB last year. I think there were a lot of things that went wrong all the way around last year, regarding the passing game.

I saw a lot to like about Louis, with his speed, strength, and his athletic ability. We have to let guys have a chance to develop. Coleman was hurt last year, so hopefully he'll get healed up and produce a lot this coming year. Higgins (who I liked when we took him) and Payton are guys who could contribute .... or not.

I am interested to see how our TE room develops. I think that they, along with Crow and Duke, could be really helpful in the pass game.

I couldn't care less about fantasy football. I just hope we wind up with a few heavy contributors out of the TE/WR group. We have the picks to add to that room next year if we still need to.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Quote:

I think you'd be surprised.

Just off the top of my head.

The Rams.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/team-position/

Baltimores history of drafting WRs isn't too great either.

A lot of teams may have had one good guy here or there..

And I'm not saying we drafted them well or anything..

Are we gonna pretend the Lions have a good history of drafting WRs just because they had the possible GOAT.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That's a nice, rosy picture and I do agree we have to let guys develop. However, who is saying not to let them develop? The Browns seemingly are giving them that chance.

I also saw a lot of drops from Louis and Coleman. I saw poor route running and a lack of separation from Louis. I saw guys who didn't get open very often when they would show the panoramic shots.

Let's hope you and the Browns are right when it comes to these young WRs, because our qbs are relatively inexperienced and the last thing they need are receivers who run sloppy routes, make poor sight adjustments and hot reads, and drop too many passes.

I am not saying they won't improve. I am not writing them off. However, at this point in time, the unit looks to be a huge question mark--at best.

Legend
Legend
I would welcome some productive vets while wee wait for some young's to ripen. We have questionable youth with a learning curve.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I don't see Kenny Britt taking these young WR
And becoming a mentor on the field
He didn't do it as a Titan or Ram.
I'm not impressed with his 1000 yard season
24 other targets in 2016 did the Same thing
If this was 1976 I'd be impressed but it's not.Britt had a lot of garbage time yards
Britt came in for a one last payday much like
Dwayne Bowe.Britt wasn't exactly a hot commodity on the FA market
I would have much rather seen Anquan Bolden
Than Britt. Bolden has been the consumate pro in his career

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree that young players do develop and you really can't predict how they will develop strictly on where they were drafted. But I do believe the later they were drafted, the lesser the odds of success. This is proven if you look at the success rate of players drafted in the later rounds. It's even lesser odds when they come from a poor WR class like last year.

So while it's possible some of these WR's may improve, the odds of being really valuable WR's isn't good.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I agree that young players do develop and you really can't predict how they will develop strictly on where they were drafted. But I do believe the later they were drafted, the lesser the odds of success. This is proven if you look at the success rate of players drafted in the later rounds. It's even lesser odds when they come from a poor WR class like last year.

So while it's possible some of these WR's may improve, the odds of being really valuable WR's isn't good.

I'm going to disagree here. My belief is people look to much at the individual instead of how the person fits within the team.

I understand you can't create a team built around lunch pail guys. But, you create a cornerstone of elite talent surrounded by lunch pail guys makes it work.

Obviously, you can't have a team of elite players especially with a salary cap. There exists positions on the team the FO/HC undervalues. As an organization, you simply won't invest high in this group.

Teams must create an identity on either side of the ball and invest in key positions. Other areas they must continue constantly supplying a revolving three year cycle, the length of a rookie contract.

I think this creates the biggest debate with fans. People disagree where the organization prioritizes. With the Browns, it becomes exceptionally difficult with constant change. With new leadership, it is difficult understanding priorities.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get defending the FO at every turn, but what the hell are you saying?

Who talked about "the individual" and whom ignored how a guy fits on a team? For that matter, how do our WRs "fit on the team? How many are "lunch pail guys?"

And the entire argument about "elite" players vs "lunch pail guys" is confusing considering they spent their very first pick on a WR.

LOL man............Reach much?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
I get defending the FO at every turn, but what the hell are you saying?

Who talked about "the individual" and whom ignored how a guy fits on a team? For that matter, how do our WRs "fit on the team? How many are "lunch pail guys?"

And the entire argument about "elite" players vs "lunch pail guys" is confusing considering they spent their very first pick on a WR.

LOL man............Reach much?

It was a generic statement. Using the "defend FO" card?

You stated you are ok with most of what this FO is doing. So, you are going to flip flop to make a negative against? Come On! Really?

My point...Because of the Salary Cap you can't fill a team full of elite players. You simply can't sustain over time. Teams must chose where to invest their money. Where is that defending the FO? smh!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bugs
... you can't fill a team full of elite players. You simply can't sustain over time. Teams must chose where to invest their money.

I believe this to be true.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Last edited by mac; 06/24/17 07:27 AM.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chiefs Release WR Jeremy Maclin

Link Copied to Clipboard