Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1286031 06/30/17 01:32 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Jamar Taylor has found a home as a quiet leader in the Browns secondary

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com dlabbe@cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- When a team trades a player for a seventh round pick three years after picking him in the second round, it tells you all you need to know about how they feel about that player -- he's not good enough. That's what the Dolphins decided when they traded Jamar Taylor to the Browns on the third day of the 2016 draft following a season in which his playing time fell off of a cliff.

It's not the first time, either, that he's essentially been told he wasn't good enough. In fact, back in Pop Warner, when Taylor was just starting to play in San Diego, he says his coach told him, "You're not good."
And, if that's not enough, Taylor's father agreed with that coach.

"He wasn't very good," Taylor's dad, also named Jamar, told cleveland.com in a phone interview. "He was just an average kid on the team."

So when Taylor's dad and his dad's uncle, Raymond Mason, started coaching Jamar, they knew they had to get one of the biggest, tallest kids on the team toughened up.

"We put him at defensive tackle," Jamar Sr. said. "We felt like if we got him down on the line, that would get him a little tougher because he was just average."

Hard work paved the way to Browns for Jamar Taylor
So it's safe to say Taylor's come a long ways since those early days. His NFL.com draft profile from when he came out of Boise State in 2013 described Taylor as "not afraid to get physical with receivers, often redirects their routes with strong hands."

Those early lessons aren't something Taylor has forgotten now that he's entering his fifth year in the league and coming off of his best season as a pro.

"It's something that always resonated with me," Taylor said. "You've got to just work for what you want. Nobody's going to give it to you and if they do give it to you, it's not going to last long if you don't work hard."
They were lessons he carried with him when he arrived at Helix High School in La Mesa, California, a school that has produced a number of future NFL and professional players. It's a place where alums often come back to work out, including one by the name of Trey Young.

Trey Young U Of Montana Highlight
Young, a safety, never played in the NFL, but after his time at Helix, he was part of a Montana team that won 24 games in a row and won a national championship in 2001. He went on to play in both the Canadian Football League and the now-defunct United Football League (UFL).

It was when Young was gearing up to play with the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL that a 14-year-old Jamar approached him in the gym and asked if he could work out with him, something Young said he never had the courage to do when he was at Helix and saw older guys working out.

Mind you, this was a freshman in high school asking a player fighting for his professional football life if they could work out together.

"For me, I take it pretty serious just for the simple fact that this is my big chance to continue playing at the professional level," Young said, "and my dream and goal was to play where he is now, but I had to take the CFL route. I told him that and he said, 'I'm cool with that.'"
ADVERTISING

It made sense because, by this time, Taylor was fully focused on football and a future in the game. He had run track, but he gave that up. When asked if he was any good in track, Taylor laughed and said, "No. I was like, this is not for me."
He also wasn't interested in playing anything other than defensive back, even though his dad wasn't exactly thrilled about it.

"Once he got to high school, he didn't want to go both ways," Jamar Sr. said, "and I said, I can't believe this kid doesn't want to go both ways because you always want to stay on the field as a football player, but he decided his craft would be playing defensive back."

So he started honing that craft by waking up at 4:30 a.m. and arriving to his high school gym to do defensive back and agility drills with Young while his head coach blared Temptations songs over the speakers. They would work out again in the afternoons.

"He just treated me like a man from that day forward," Taylor said. "'Do you want it? If you want it, I'm going to come get you, but if you don't, you're wasting my time.' I remember telling him I'm not going to waste your time."
Taylor's dad took notice.

"You can think of a lot of things that a 14-year-old could be doing, so it was unbelievable on how focused he was on football," Jamar Sr. said. "He woke up early. He did his homework. He trained football after that. It was remarkable."

Young and Taylor worked out during that offseason before Young went off to start his four-year CFL career with first Calgary and then Hamilton. It served as the foundation for Taylor getting to Boise State and then the NFL.

"I just felt like I was another piece of the puzzle trying to help and guide him," Young said. "Not to say that I knew everything, but I knew something and I passed it on to him."
Once Taylor got to Boise State in 2008, he kept on working and his dad kept on pushing.

"I believed in him his freshman year at Boise," Jamar Sr. said. "I went up there with him and I made him challenge their senior receivers and I said, Jamar, if you can cover them, you can cover anyone."

Taylor also credits Broncos secondary coach Marcel Yates, now the defensive coordinator for the Arizona Wildcats, with keeping him focused early in his college career. Taylor played as a freshman, but not as much as he'd have liked, so he spent plenty of time imploring Yates to play him more, reminding him that when he was on the field, he made plays.

"When I wasn't playing he made sure I was still in my book and stuff like that," Taylor said. He credits Kyle Wilson, too, a 2010 first round pick of the Jets who is currently with the New Orleans Saints, for doing the same, keeping him sharp mentally and teaching him how to watch film.

In 49 games with the Broncos, Taylor recorded seven interceptions, including four his senior season to go along with 2.5 sacks. He arrived at the combine in 2013 in Indianapolis and ran a 4.39 40-yard dash and bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times. It all led to the Dolphins making him the 54th overall selection.

Things never worked out for Taylor, though, in Miami. According to the Miami Herald story about the trade of Taylor to the Browns, he "battled injuries and inconsistency during his time in Miami; first a sports hernia and then a major shoulder injury.

"He fell out of favor with the former coaching staff late in the season, and hardly saw the field."

Taylor played 33 games in his three seasons with the Dolphins and failed to register a single interception or sack. He went from playing nearly every snap in the middle of the 2015 season to appearing in just one of the Dolphins' final five games that season, playing just 39 percent of the team's snaps in Week 14. He wasn't even active for three of the five games.

"I learned about the business quick," Taylor said. "From being hurt to being like we need you to play hurt because you were a second round pick to you're not going to play today or this guy's going to beat you out because of this. I learned about the business quick and I think it made me mature as a person."

On top of it all, Taylor was going through his time in Miami on the opposite side of the country from Young, whom he calls his mentor, and his family -- not that his dad and his mom, Toni, didn't try their best.

"Me and my wife, we spoke about it and we kept encouraging him and we kept faith in God and I encouraged him not to let one team or one person or anyone stop you from fulfilling your dreams and goals," Jamar Sr. said.

"Being down there by myself, it was like, I had nobody to run to," Taylor said. "I had to grow up. It was one of those things where you can either quit and they can say you were a bust and nobody gives a crap and they're going to talk about you forever, or you can step up to the plate and everybody can talk about it's the greatest story on Earth."
So Taylor and his agent were both ready to move on during the offseason of 2016 and they got their wish when the Dolphins swapped picks with the Browns in the seventh round and threw him into the deal.

Taylor took advantage of the opportunity, first competing at nickel and then playing back on the outside, putting together easily the best season of his career, appearing in 15 games, including 14 starts, intercepting three passes and earning himself a three-year contract extension worth $15 million.

Taylor has quickly established himself as one of the leaders in a young Browns secondary, though it's the kind of leadership that goes hand-in-hand with the approach he's taken to football since those early mornings with Young: show me, don't tell me.

"He's not that guy of many words," linebacker Christian Kirksey said. "He's not going to sit there and talk all day, so when he does say something, it's very meaningful."
"He is (a leader) because he is a worker," defensive backs coach DeWayne Walker said. "He is pretty soft-spoken so he really doesn't say a whole lot. At the same time, you can just see his leadership through his work ethic."

"Leaders come in different fashions," Young said. "You've got the ones that are in your face, the yellers, then you've got ones who just do their work and everybody can follow and I think that's him."

If there's any concern that Taylor might feel like he's made it now -- now that he's found a team and gotten a payday -- there are still those people in Taylor's life ready to push him, ready to keep him working and leading by example.
Young, who now coaches high school football in Seattle, checks in with Taylor regularly once he gets caught up on his most link recent game and says they talk bluntly about the games.

Then there's Jamar's dad, whom he still calls his biggest critic. They watch film together, especially when he's visiting Cleveland.

"I'll go back over the game with him," Jamar Sr. said. "We'll go over grades, what we feel like he had for that game or practice, A, B, C or D -- even F. I don't sugarcoat it. I give it to him."

"If I get out of a game and I feel good about myself, he'll be like, hey, you forgot to do this, or this one play you messed up on your press or where were your eyes at here?" Taylor said. "He's a great, great guy because he always keeps me on my toes."

That's just the type of mentality that allowed Taylor to go from just an average kid in Pop Warner to college-bound star in high school. It's the type of mentality that allowed him to weather the struggles in Miami and salvage his career in a similar down-on-their-luck situation in Cleveland. It's one of the lessons his biggest critic passed onto him back when his dad and uncle put him on the defensive line to toughen him up.

"I always told him all it takes is one coach, one person to believe in you," Jamar Sr. said, "one person to give you that opportunity and you just keep working hard at it and you're going to get it."
Link

Mourgrym #1286033 06/30/17 01:41 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
He's the #2 cornerback on the Browns; the guy responsible to cover the 2nd best wideout on the opposing team. He's right behind Joe Haden, and Jason McCourty; which are the #1 cornerback on the Browns, and ... (everybody on the defense has to play 2 positions.)

Last edited by THROW LONG; 06/30/17 01:44 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Mourgrym #1286036 06/30/17 01:49 PM
Legend
Legend
I understand the competitive nature.

But talking big picture, regardless on how bad he team is, through hard work and dedication, he made it to being the #2 corner on a NFL team.

That's success. And he should definitely be proud of that.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Mourgrym #1286066 06/30/17 02:50 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
He had spurts where he played fantastic last year. boddy played some good ball in the slot but while Trumane was sucking and joe was fighting another injury, he was imho our best corner and really progressed well throughout the year. Kid can play.

Mourgrym #1286076 06/30/17 03:16 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm a big fan of this kid. All we did was swap 7th round picks to get him too.

Not talked about a lot around here or anywhere really, but that was a steal. And I'm glad he got an extension, as Mourg said - this kid can play. And IMO, he can play inside and outside. Whether it was just a change of scenery needed or some growing up, I don't care. He's playing extremely well for us.

Mourgrym #1286079 06/30/17 03:50 PM
Legend
Legend
definitely a bright spot for us, especially considering the cost to acquire him. He obviously had talent to be drafted that high, so let's hop he continues to improve here

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Mourgrym #1286101 06/30/17 05:39 PM
Legend
Legend
I was really pleased with him last year. Play him!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Mourgrym #1286146 06/30/17 08:30 PM
Legend
Legend
surprised to see the positive feedback on Taylor. Our DB's typically get bashed hard on here.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, I'll help you out. LOL

I think it was a very good trade for the Browns and he was a surprise.

However, I didn't think he was as good as what is being insinuated here. He's okay. But, he got beat plenty. Just didn't have the speed to keep up w/receivers on crossing routes.

But, in the end............he was a steal considering what we gave up for him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
surprised to see the positive feedback on Taylor. Our DB's typically get bashed hard on here.

#1286146 - 06/30/17 08:30 PM

#1286165 - 06/30/17 08:51 PM

Didn't take long ask and you will receive! rofl

Vambo #1286168 06/30/17 09:12 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

#1286146 - 06/30/17 08:30 PM

#1286165 - 06/30/17 08:51 PM

Didn't take long ask and you will receive! rofl

rofl

V
Legend
Legend
V
That was hysterical?

Sorry for voicing my opinion and I really don't think I bashed him all that much.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Some folks are so used to seeing crap they think a better version of crap is good when it fact its just upgraded crap ...

I'm curious to see how he plays this year ... maybe basically getting cut woke him up ... we'll know more this year ...

Mourgrym #1286229 07/01/17 12:13 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm really excited to see what him and BBC can do this season. I think they'd be great nickel and dime corners.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Well, I'll help you out. LOL

I think it was a very good trade for the Browns and he was a surprise.

However, I didn't think he was as good as what is being insinuated here. He's okay. But, he got beat plenty. Just didn't have the speed to keep up w/receivers on crossing routes.

But, in the end............he was a steal considering what we gave up for him.

For me I think a lot of his problem was periodically losing focus on what he was supposed to be doing. He killed it in the game vs. Miami which was all well and good. But I remember watching him the rest of the season and saying many times to just focus and get back to the job at hand because he was one of those guys who makes a great play, and keeps celebrating it 2 and 3 plays later.

Good find though thumbsup

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Mourgrym #1286926 07/04/17 06:39 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
My thought on taylor is if he shows as much improvement this year as he did last year we should win 6 games

Legend
Legend
I hope this defense with some pressure up front might help his performance. He seemed able to be doing the right things fairly regularly. Horton's kids had trouble much of the year. Hope he can play with certainty at the snap this season.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #1287158 07/05/17 07:24 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
My thought on Taylor is this never has coleman had this many athletes on his defense.
As pointed out early Taylor has legit 4.3 speed.
Coleman is going to blitz this guy about 20 percent of the time just to make oc account for him thus opening holes for Myles,Shelton,and Ogbah

Mourgrym #1287177 07/05/17 09:45 PM
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
U mean Williams? Not coleman

Mourgrym #1287185 07/05/17 11:36 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
yes you are right I am wrong

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg
My thought on Taylor is this never has coleman had this many athletes on his defense.
As pointed out early Taylor has legit 4.3 speed.
Coleman is going to blitz this guy about 20 percent of the time just to make oc account for him thus opening holes for Myles,Shelton,and Ogbah

I'll be honest... I'm really looking forward to seeing what all Greg has in line for our various young talent. He's got plenty to work with. If he's as good as what the media says about him getting the most out of his players, then I'm excited to see what he can do with our young core.

Our secondary should, and will, benefit immensely if our front can keep QBs uncomfortable and preferably, in pain. Especially if its Ben, lots of pain lol.

Dawg_LB #1287412 07/06/17 10:13 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah I'm hopeful he can work some magic, too.
He has some material to work with.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg_LB #1288398 07/10/17 04:13 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Pryor WAS quoted as being the hardest hitter at his combine class.
I have no idea what to expect this year but NEXT year I really
look for a giant step from the defensive coordinator plus are good young d

Mourgrym #1290027 07/15/17 11:22 PM
P
Rookie
Rookie
P
Zero pressure on the QBs last year made all our secondary look worst than it was....just saying

Last edited by Panama Dawg; 07/15/17 11:23 PM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg
Pryor WAS quoted as being the hardest hitter at his combine class.
I have no idea what to expect this year but NEXT year I really
look for a giant step from the defensive coordinator plus are good young d

This comment made me go back and review a little on CP. Your right, in his draft class he was touted to be the heavy hitter. I love hard hitters, especially for our secondaries. Everyone expects d-linemen and LB'ers to be able to drop the wood, but finding a corner or safety willing to come up and say hello is awesome.

Maybe like Taylor, a change of scenery is what the doctor ordered for CP?

Cheers for the post though, made me go back and do a little homework.

Legend
Legend
AND, if we get pressure this year, they get help and should be better as a unit.

Horton's D stunk it up all year.

Dawg_LB #1290265 07/16/17 09:32 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
It is hard to say what taylor and his db brothers will do but they will have a proven teacher.
Excellent point about being in a different system to bring out the best

Last edited by jacksondawg; 07/16/17 09:35 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, I let this go.......let it go...........let it go, but the posts pile up.

Two things:

1. Horton had successful defenses when he had talent. That cannot be denied.

2. Our secondary got burned early in plays. I am NOT saying our pass rush was great, but damn man, guys were wide open quickly. How can anyone who actually knows the game deny that?

Legend
Legend

2. Our secondary got burned early in plays. I am NOT saying our pass rush was great, but damn man, guys were wide open quickly. How can anyone who actually knows the game deny that?

True story. My hope is that with a better defensive front, we can play a little more press coverage to jam and re-route guys at the line of scrimmage a little more.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Fair enough and I think your sentiments were good, but Turk, how can you play press coverage when your safeties suck at coverage?

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Fair enough and I think your sentiments were good, but Turk, how can you play press coverage when your safeties suck at coverage?

How can you play press coverage when your front seven gets no pressure on the QB? Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

We had issues all around last year. Which issue came first? Everybody is right...everybody is wrong. Horton clearly had no answer and couldn't change his mind. The personnel didn't match the scheme and vice versa. I think last year gave us precious little insight into the players carried over to this year. The D was/is equally in rebuild mode.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am going to say this again............as bad as the pressure was, the coverage was way, way worse.

The problem wasn't Horton. I tried telling you guys before the season that he wasn't great, but many of you told me how he would make a huge difference............kinda like you are this year w/Williams.

The key is talent. We had very little talent last year. We cut some of our better players. We let one walk. We played a ton of rookies and scrubs. But yet.............it was Horton's fault we sucked. LMAO.

Clueless.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I am going to say this again............as bad as the pressure was, the coverage was way, way worse.

The problem wasn't Horton. I tried telling you guys before the season that he wasn't great, but many of you told me how he would make a huge difference............kinda like you are this year w/Williams.

The key is talent. We had very little talent last year. We cut some of our better players. We let one walk. We played a ton of rookies and scrubs. But yet.............it was Horton's fault we sucked. LMAO.

Clueless.

Ok. You may be right on coverage vs. pressure. Who knows? Both were bad. Horton is out of football. Who is "you"?

V
Legend
Legend
V
A bunch of y'all. Just like this year. I am not knocking Williams, but man, you need talent to play good football.

I do think we have more talent on that side of the ball this year, but not that much more talent. I believe that we'll still have a lower ranked defense.

On offense, it's even worse. There is very little talent. People will end up blaming Hue. They'll say his playcalling sucks, that he should have an OC, that he doesn't understand clock management, blah, blah, blah...........but, the real truth is that this is one of least talented offenses ever assembled in the NFL>

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
A bunch of y'all. Just like this year. I am not knocking Williams, but man, you need talent to play good football.

I do think we have more talent on that side of the ball this year, but not that much more talent. I believe that we'll still have a lower ranked defense.

On offense, it's even worse. There is very little talent. People will end up blaming Hue. They'll say his playcalling sucks, that he should have an OC, that he doesn't understand clock management, blah, blah, blah...........but, the real truth is that this is one of least talented offenses ever assembled in the NFL>

I don't think I am y'all. But I do think your post is correct for the most part. I "think" we have better talent now...but the proof is in the pudding. How much better? Who knows? We are a ridiculously young team. In the end winning cures a lot...losing creates a lot of problems.

Since this is a Taylor thread, what do you think of him as an outside guy or a slot guy? I keep reading that he is perfect for the slot...but I think of him as an outside guy...if not because we had precious little else there last year.

O
Legend
Legend
O
A good QB will fix the D... rolleyes

I don't think our D will be that greatly improved this year, I never liked Horton here is all I know.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Mourgrym #1290323 07/17/17 04:04 AM
Legend
Legend
jc

let's be honest about who we are counting on in the secondary:

Haden - He's an above average CB in my opinion, but injuries are a concern
Taylor - Was considered a bust for years in Miami ... he played a little better here
BBC - An undrafted rookie last year. We really shouldn't have to count on him, but we are
Peppers - A virtual unknown at the NFL level
McCourty - An older vet who was deemed expendable by another below average team

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
jc

Taylor - Was considered a bust for years in Miami ... he played a little better here
BBC - An undrafted rookie last year. We really shouldn't have to count on him, but we are

We need a lot of things to go right with that group. I think your assessment mirrors mine. However...

Haden should be healthier than he's been in a couple of years;

The light-bulb / professionalism seems to have turned on for Taylor last year. It's reasonable to expect that he will continue to improve. He's still a young guy;

BBC played better than an undrafted guy should play. He looks like a real NFL DB but has some limitations. Pretty good as a 4th CB;

Peppers? Who knows? I think his floor is pretty good with a very high ceiling.

McCourty is only a year older than Haden at 29. I thought he was a salary cap issue for TN. He had a good year last year.

Then we have a gaggle of young guys battling for a few spots. There is potential there...that dreaded P word again.

None of my comments changes your point. We need a lot of things to fall juuuuuust right for this group to perform well.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
jc

Seems decent to me. Our corners are not as bad as some people make them out to be. We could have Patrick Peterson and Chris harris on our roster, and people would still complain.

Haden - Offensive coordinators probably aren't intimidated, but QB's know they have to have perfect ball placement to get the ball by Joe. He's no scrub. My biggest concern is Haden never makes the big play when we need it the most, and it's typically the other way around. Consistency is what we need from him.
Taylor - lowkey a good #2. He's gone through the mental hurdles of struggling and being written off as trash in this league, so mentally he just plays ball without worrying about what people think. I consider him an asset to this organization.
BoddyC - Despite his size, he has starter potential. Aggressive when he needs to be, and can do so without getting flags thrown on him all day.
McCourty - the vet; dependable.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
We could have Patrick Peterson and Chris harris on our roster, and people would still complain.

<<sigh>> I really despise fictional generalizations like that. You are basically saying that anyone who criticizes them are irrational and are just criticizing the players w/out and rationality.

Let me see if I can play that game?

We could go 1 and 15 and people would not see that there is a talent problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jamar Taylor

Link Copied to Clipboard