Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
He's going to anyway. Even if Pryor sucks.

He will find a way.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: mac

While the average fan

Are you an average fan or a non-average fan?

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: mac

While the average fan

Are you an average fan or a non-average fan?

rish...I'm a life long fan of the Cleveland Browns and consider myself an average fan for those Browns fans of my generation.

rish, how bout you, do you consider yourself an average fan of just the Browns?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
Can we have a link to that? I remember they came back to our FO but I thought the 1 year was off the table and all they wanted was a Long term deal upgraded from our last offer?

I say that knowing I could be wrong which is why I am asking for a link about that...

jmhway I remember it but the older I get the more that could become suspect!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is not the original article that appeared on the board that talked about the situation, but here is one link that talks about it:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/26975...-redskins-offer

E
Legend
Legend
E
Doesn't really clear it up...but its not really that important.

Also I can't trust Cabot...she takes what she is told by the Team or by Agents as the Bible and then reports it as fact. I find it hard to believe he got long term offers for 10-11 mil per year and didn't sign...

Again, I really liked the kid still had a lot of developing to do but incredible talent. I wish him luck and good health.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't think you'd believe it. LOL

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

"Apparently, Saunders still believes that Pryor is going to be missed..so there must be something that a WR coach with 35 years of NFL experience really liked about Pryor's game."

What I find funny about this quote, is that if Saunders brags on the guys we have now, he is not believed. Yet when he brags on a guy the team no longer has, his word is gospel.

Pryor was greedy, and that's how I see it. Nothing will change that feeling. Thing is, I don't blame him. If he really feels he's going to make the leap to "probowl" caliber, I would have done the same thing.

IMO, he's not looking long term, he wants money soon.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

To be honest, I don't believe it either.

If so, give me a good reason why he didn't take that deal?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Of course you don't. The FO is perfect in your biased mind. You are just like mac.....only w/a polar opinion. Logic and reason be damned.

Btw---------the point I was making was that Pryor and his reps came back to Cleveland for the one-year deal and were turned down by the Browns. It's been reported in multiple places. But, keep your head in the sand ma....errr....peen.

Oh, and before others get their panties in a wad......I am not bad-mouthing the FO. I think they made a solid offer. A very fair offer. I also don't blame Pryor. It's a business and you gotta take care of yourself.

On the other hand, I think both sides could have handled things better.

I wish they would of, because the Browns would be a better team w/Pryor than w/out. And that is my bottom line, not some lame ass agenda.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think you are bad mouthing the FO. Just me.

That's cool.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

What I find funny about this quote, is that if Saunders brags on the guys we have now, he is not believed. Yet when he brags on a guy the team no longer has, his word is gospel.

+100

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

That sounds good and certain biased posters will love that quote, but I don't think it's quite accurate.

First of all, a coach is going to praise the guys he has on the current roster, long before he praises someone who just left the team. That is not debatable.

Secondly, I don't take Saunders word as "gospel," but I have to respect it if he praises a guy who is no longer w/the team. He has absolutely nothing to gain by praising the guy. It's gotta be honest.

Finally, has anyone said they don't believe Saunders? Ever? I've read his comments. He is hopeful and I respect that. But, he hasn't been effusive w/his praise for any of our current receivers. I certainly haven't read anything where he predicted any of them to be in the Pro Bowl.

My conclusion is that people want to bash anyone who has an objective opinion on the Browns and they use hyperbole and non-truths to belittle counter opinions.

I also doubt I get a +100 on this post. LOL

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Of course you don't. The FO is perfect in your biased mind. You are just like mac.....only w/a polar opinion. Logic and reason be damned.

I take offense to your comparison of my viewpoint concerning the front office...no way in hell am I as bad as peen and his the front office can do no wrong opinion...lol.

For the record, I'm still waiting to see how well this analytics stuff is going to translate to the field and ultimately the only thing that matters...wins.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The only things I have really harped on is I don't think the FO lost Pryor and Schwartz.

As for picks, we'll see. Coleman needs to pick up where he started last year. It will be nive if one of the other receivers pans out, but we have to keep in perspective that 4th and 5th rounders are pretty much long shots to make a big impact all across the league.

Sure, we can always cherry pick out a player here and a player there, but I don't think you can hold that as the standard that we should be selecting all of these "sleeper" picks. Sooner or later we will bet the $2 scratch off ticket that pays $250. You just don't know when that will come.

Oh...I am not going to debate Schweartz and Pryor. That's old news. I think everybody knows where everybody else stands on the matter.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 07/25/17 05:59 AM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Al Saunders excited by potential of Browns’ young, unheralded receivers

Veteran coach likes what he sees from Rashard Higgins, Jordan Payton and more

So when Saunders saw Payton make play after play the right way during OTAs and minicamp, he had to make sure he was dealing with the same player. He looked him square in the facemask and smiled.

“Did we get a new 84?” Saunders said. “This guy is running fast, he's coming out of breaks, he's catching the ball, he's a competitive guy … I know one thing, he can play in the National Football League. He's playing at a level much greater than he did last year.”

The same can be said for Higgins, the late fifth-round selection who didn’t see the field much until late in the season, when he was used as a big slot receiver. While Kenny Britt, Corey Coleman and Ricardo Louis figure to have prominent roles in this year’s passing game, the Browns will need a handful of others step up from a group that is high on upside but low on experience.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Al-Saunders-excited-by-potential-of-Browns%E2%80%99-young-unheralded-receivers/a949d576-98c3-483f-b38a-c4abf61c88e0

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds good. What I like to hear.

To the point Vers made, you don't usually read about a position coach saying bad things about a player on the roster, so you have to take it for what is't worth.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
The only things I have really harped on is I don't think the FO lost Pryor and Schwartz.

peen...the Browns could have signed Pryor if they really wanted him. They even had a chance to sign him to a 1 year deal similar to the Redskins offer and Sashi and Jimmy refused.

The way the front office handled Schwartz and Pryor were very similar.

Now we read about all the concerns about the Browns WR group...and these boys didn't want Pryor. Sashi and Jimbob created this situation and now they own it.

The analytics boys drafted 4 wrs and a te in 2016...guaranteed all a roster spot. Now it is time to find out if the Browns analytics approach to judging football talent works.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Other than being you, what was the point of that article? It was already posted on this site. There was actually a better one where he praised Louis and talked about Coleman. However, I sure as heck don't see where Saunders said any of these guys are going to the Pro Bowl. He is talking about "potential."

I hope that a couple of these guys pan out. But, I still don't get the point about taking Saunders word as gospel on one hand and not believing him on the other.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
peen...the Browns could have signed Pryor if they really wanted him. They even had a chance to sign him to a 1 year deal similar to the Redskins offer and Sashi and Jimmy refused.

mac, peen just said he didn't want to talk about it anymore. Might be a good idea to back off.

E
Legend
Legend
E

Yeah I'm just a fool

What I'm saying is she has been pretty 50/50 with her reported FACTS. Not saying it isn't so I just cannot trust her reporting.
Her INSIDE INFO is just what she was told by certain parties...not like a Shecter with real sources.

But thanks for the little dig wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:

mac, peen just said he didn't want to talk about it anymore. Might be a good idea to back off.

vers...that does not mean I have to stop discussing the subject.

As long as I'm telling the truth...that Pryor did return to the Browns, giving the front office a shot at signing him to a one year deal...and the Browns were not interested.

Now the Browns WR group appears to be an issue and is being called the weakest area of the offense?

The Browns front office created this situation and they own it..it was their decision not to retain Hawkins or Pryor.

So now it's up to the 2016 draft class to step up and take advantage of their opportunity. Moving Duke to slot might fill the slot wr needs..if he can stay healthy.

I'm hoping all 4 of the wrs drafted in 2016 surprise us and prove to better than anyone thought they would be.

BUT, if the WR position proves to be a weakness during the 2017 season, fans need to remember who is responsible.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I didn't call you a fool.

You asked for a link and I provided one. You then said you didn't believe it.

I have since said that there were several reports, including word from Pryor himself, that his camp went back to the Browns after they received the offer from Washington to discuss a one-year deal. The Browns were not interested.

Again, I am not blaming either side. However, I think both sides could have handled it better. Not sure what is wrong w/that line of thinking? Maybe I'm the fool????

O
Legend
Legend
O
It was the Brown's decision not to retain Hawkins... that's for sure.

It's not as simple as you incessantly harp on for Pryor. We offered him more money, and he turned it down for a 1-year deal with a team that has an established QB.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Oooops ... may as well leave it up now ....

Sorry ...

Originally Posted By: oobernoober
It was the Brown's decision not to retain Hawkins... that's for sure.

It's not as simple as you incessantly harp on for Pryor. We offered him more money, and he turned it down for a 1-year deal with a team that has an established QB.

Speaking of Hawk ....

Andrew Hawkins - WR - Free Agent

Ex-Browns and Bengals WR Andrew Hawkins has told the Patriots he's retiring.
He's going to pursue a Ph.D. in economics. The longtime Ohio slot man was on the outside looking in of the Patriots' 53-man roster, as the team's top-five receivers were already set. Often unheralded, Hawkins' effectiveness had been on the wane. He turned 30 in March 2016. A 2008 UDFA, Hawkins hangs up his cleats with 209 receptions, all of which came from 2011-16.

Related: Patriots, Bengals, Browns

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jul 25 - 2:21 PM

Last edited by DiamDawg; 07/25/17 03:36 PM.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

News about another ex-Browns WR.

Jay Gruden: Terrelle Pryor already is “one of the top guys in the league”

Posted by Mike Florio on July 31, 2017, 5:42 PM EDT
link
In Washington, the top two receivers left via free agency, and the top free-agent acquisition at receiver is a former quarterback. But coach Jay Gruden realizes that Terrelle Pryor could eventually be one of the league’s best receivers.

Actually, Gruden seems to think Pryor already is.

“I think had he made this decision sooner in his career, I think he’d be further along,” Gruden told reporters on Monday. “But being that he just made it not too long ago, he’s where he is. I mean, he’s still one of the top guys in the league and he just started playing. He’s a physical freak. So we’re excited to have him and we’re going to continue to work with him. We just have to keep working. Kirk [Cousins] and Terrelle just have to get together so they get on the same page, get to know each other not only on the field but off the field.”

Gruden explained that Pryor’s background as a quarterback aided his transition.

“His ability to retain and pick up information in a hurry, really,” Gruden said when asked to identify how playing quarterback helped Pryor the most. “He’s picked up the system effortlessly. He asks good questions, has great logic when he is asking questions, wants to add more stuff for himself, like most quarterbacks would do. He’s been outstanding really. I just like the fact that he’s a very bright guy, understands coverages, understands where the ball should go and route concepts, which is very big. He is a very smart receiver, now it’s just about polishing up the little things and the details of each route and we’re working with him on that.”

Work has been the key word for Pryor, who separately made it clear that his current situation is the result of a lot of elbow grease.

“It wasn’t easy,” Pryor told reporters. “You guys see me as this big, 6-5, fast guy running out there, running past people, who’s so big and stuff like that. It may seem like it was easy, but I’ve spent – even from when I was with the Browns I transferred over and I got released from Cincinnati in 2015, I got picked up by the Browns and I only had a month to really train before I really even had the opportunity to go into camp and be ready for wideout, never playing it [the position] in my life. Countless hours. . . .

“I mean, countless hours. I’m talking about three hours. Tim Cortazzo, my trainer, he spent three, four hours a day, not just outside running routes but also going indoors running around cones because I really didn’t know how to handle my body, I didn’t know how to adjust my body, I didn’t know how to take control of myself. Now I’m at the point where I can control my body, I know where I’m going, I know what I want to do to the defender, I know how to stare at the guy in his eyes and make him think that I’m doing something else and then try to do something else. That’s what I continue to get better at, stuff like that.”

With Pryor, the question continues to be finding his ceiling and reaching it. Last year, a raw receiver catching passes from a revolving door of factory of sadness shift supervisors still generated more than 1,000 yards. With more time to develop and a 4,900-yard quarterback throwing the ball this year, Pryor could indeed emerge as one of the finest receivers in the game.

Nothing torques me off more than to see a good football player who used to be a Brown, playing for another NFL team due to the Browns front office actions and priorities.

Pryor gave the Browns a chance to sign him to the same one year contract he signed with the Redskins..."a show me contract"...and the Browns front office turned down that chance to sign Pryor to a 1 yr contract.

There is no debate on this subject so save it link to 1yr contract info

I guess the front office plan is to count on Josh Gordon returning from suspension, since they did not need Pryor. The front office does a great PR job..we almost signed all our free agents, they say. But they don't talk about the one they refused to sign.

Last edited by mac; 07/31/17 06:51 PM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Who cares? Not I.

It's one thing if other people bump the thread after a week, but for you to keep doing it is pretty funny.

I am sure in another week you will look for a bump to the top.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I hope Pryor catches 50 touchdowns, and gets 3200 yards receiving, runs back 18 kickoffs for TDs, and solves the physics question of how to get light without heat.

Just so I can read more of how our front office is the worst of all time, ever.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
I hope Pryor catches 50 touchdowns, and gets 3200 yards receiving, runs back 18 kickoffs for TDs, and solves the physics question of how to get light without heat.

Just so I can read more of how our front office is the worst of all time, ever.

Anything less than those numbers and we'll hear how freaking smart our FO is and how we finally have the right guys in place.

Pfffttttttt..............

T
Legend
Legend
T
Between T.PRyor, and Josh Gordon, and Benjamin,..
and and and, Johnny Manziel. Man we really could have had something.

Hey that horse ain't dead yet! He's only sleeping; Just needs to get up and carry the rock.

I liked what I saw out of TP, blocking wise, I know that.

If the Browns can't recognize a good offensive player when they have them on their own team, then we are going to watch much of the same as we've seen the last decade.

I may be one of the few, or only, posters on this board who think what the Browns have done this offseason looks very similar to what they've done the past several years that didn't work; playoff wise.

Upgrade the defense, check/
Get a new defense, check/
focus on the defense, check/ (especially the line)
ignore the offense, check/

... At this point, it got real negative continuing this list, so may as well delete it.

I'm just saying it looks remarkably similar to every offseason they've had the last several years, in regards to where they put their focus, so when the results come in;

Ok, maybe this time is going to be different. thumbsup

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I could care less about Pryor, the guy took a lot less money to play somewhere other than with the only team willing to give him a shot at receiver a year ago. To hell with him.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That is not the truth. Pryor and his reps came back to Cleveland after they realized they weren't getting the high-dollar, long-term deal and asked the Browns for a one-year deal. The Browns blew him off.

Some might say that they were smart to do so. I say we are a worse team w/out him.

Legend
Legend
I say his ungrateful ass should have signed the four year contract they offered him.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Pryor is the new Alex Mack/Mitchel Schwartz now huh in that regards of talking? Great, look forward to it.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
I could care less about Pryor, the guy took a lot less money to play somewhere other than with the only team willing to give him a shot at receiver a year ago. To hell with him.

mourg...vers is right on the facts of how the Browns front office lost Pryor.

It is important for Browns fans to understand "the truth" in this case even if some don't want to hear it. I included the link to the story that points out, Pryor did not sign the Redskins offer without returning to the Browns, giving them a chance to keep him in Cleveland under the same deal he was being offered by the Skins.

Pryor and his agents understood what the market was telling them...that teams were not willing to offer the type of contract Pryor was hoping for, based on only 1 yr of production. Pryor was willing to sign a one year deal for less, to get the opportunity to show what he could do.

When Browns fans post how Pryor lost money, taking less from the Redskins than what the Browns had offered in their long term proposal...REMEMBER THIS, Pryor and his agents offered the same "cheaper" one year deal to the Browns and our front office turned down the chance to keep Pryor another year on "a show me" contract, for less money than the Browns had offered in their long term proposal.

I believe the truth is important and the Browns PR machine has done a good job making it look like it was Pryor's fault not accepting their offer...but no mention that Sashi and the front office could have signed Pryor to the same deal he signed with the Skins.

Reading about the Browns concern over their WR situation rings hollow for me. This front office created the present situation, 100%...Jimmy and Sashi own it.

Legend
Legend
Don't worry. We'll have Crow to talk about next year probably too.

And if not.

We'll just keep talking about this.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Without a doubt Pryor is an amazing athlete and has size, speed and vertical leap.

I watched NFL Network on Redskins and Pryor. Gruden was referencing his amazing skills cause after he praised him he stated that he has a lot to learn.

He is working hard and I hope he improves...we can get him next year unless the Redskins Franchise Tag him. Hey he can be GREAT no doubt about it. Btw how many SBs did Calvin Johnson win?

Good to have but not the straw that stirs the drinks for Championships.

Do I wish he was here...Heck YES! but it ain't so I'm not going to cry about it. If we go far or if we falter it won't be because we don't have Pryor here!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I say his ungrateful ass should have signed the four year contract they offered him.

So your mad at TP for gambling on himself? ... i don't get it ... i don't understand the bitterness ... he made a BUSINESS DECISION ...

We were offering around 8 a year ... appearantly he thinks hes worth around 14 mill a year if I'm remembering correctly from the reports i saw on here ..

He decided to try and up his value by taking a 1 year deal so he could PROVE he was worth what he wanted ... doing that here would have only proven he is a MORON .... its much easier to prove your worth with Cousins throwing u the rock then whoever we send out there week 1 or 2 and on and on ...

This wasn't a normal contract situation ... he played wr for 1 year ... obviously the league thought his value was around 8 mill ... he thought it was ALOT MORE so he decided to roll the dice ...

I don't understand the bitterness towards TP here ... I'm bummed he's not its us .. were a better team with him .. but i understand why he did it ...

Don't be shocked if he's back here next year ... i won't be ...

O
Legend
Legend
O
This is just a guess (I have no articles, reputable sources or no)... but I have doubts he would have signed here even if we had agreed to his 1-year contract demands.

His sole focus is the big contract, right? Why would you, gambling on yourself, stay with a team that has zilch at QB, and had just made big moves to develop the ground game? Wouldn't it make more sense to go to a team with a QB that has shown he can toss the rock? ...and, oh, btw, that team just lost their #1 deep threat (DJ).

If he did come back here with 1-year contract negotiations, I think it was to drive up the price. Again, just a guess of mine. That's based on him recognizing it makes no sense for him to try to have a statistically monster year here with what we have in place on offense.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Front Office, continued...

Link Copied to Clipboard