Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Browns may make Duke Johnson their No. 1 slot receiver

Michael David Smith
July 24, 2017
PFT

Cleveland’s Duke Johnson is a running back, but he’s had more receiving yards than rushing yards in each of his first two NFL seasons. In his third season, he may not be a running back at all.

Johnson is the leading candidate to be the Browns’ No. 1 slot receiver, according to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

Last year Andrew Hawkins was the No. 1 slot receiver in Cleveland, but he left for New England in free agency.

As one of the few bright spots in Cleveland’s offense last season, Johnson caught 53 passes for 514 yards and ran 73 times for 358 yards.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-slot-receiver/

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Browns may make Duke Johnson their No. 1 slot receiver

Michael David Smith
July 24, 2017
PFT

Cleveland’s Duke Johnson is a running back, but he’s had more receiving yards than rushing yards in each of his first two NFL seasons. In his third season, he may not be a running back at all.

Johnson is the leading candidate to be the Browns’ No. 1 slot receiver, according to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

Last year Andrew Hawkins was the No. 1 slot receiver in Cleveland, but he left for New England in free agency.

As one of the few bright spots in Cleveland’s offense last season, Johnson caught 53 passes for 514 yards and ran 73 times for 358 yards.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-slot-receiver/

I'm not much of a fan of this at all.

There's gotta be some WR in FA or something that can play the slot. Wasn't Jordan Payton drafted to do this?

Why would we want to put our backup RB (with very little known depth behind him) as our slot receiver? If the Crow went down, then what? Duke would have to go back to being RB?

The guy should be focused on one position, and that's RB. He's not a bad back. I think he's a good 3rd down/change of pace back. The biggest reason that he isn't a great option as a starter is because I don't think his body can handle a big load for too many games in a row

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
So the Browns offense did not have a suitable slot receiver heading into training camp and are forced to move their #2 RB to slot receiver...

Duke did run for 358 yds with a 4.9 yds average per carry, which made him a dual threat RB. This should help the Browns 7th round draft pick, RB Matt Dayes, make the 53 man roster.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think this has more to do with HOW GOOD IS DUKE then how bad others are.

I think he is our #2 RB and will get reps as our RB...but if he beats out all potential slot WRs...great he'll be our #1 S WR.

There have been some pretty good WRs who were RBs.

Actually I wish we did this with Metcalf back in the day.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
I think this has more to do with HOW GOOD IS DUKE then how bad others are.

I think he is our #2 RB and will get reps as our RB...but if he beats out all potential slot WRs...great he'll be our #1 S WR.

There have been some pretty good WRs who were RBs.

Actually I wish we did this with Metcalf back in the day.

jmho

But does this make sense? I mean, a change of pace RB is already a lot on the plate. Isn't he our punt returner too?

I like Duke. I think he can do a lot. But he already has a position, which he needs to really focus on.

He needs to be ready, at a moments notice, to step in for Crowell too.

So he doesn't just need to know his plays, he needs to know all of Crow's plays too.

Now we want to try to work him in as a slot receiver?

If we had a RB that seemed viable to come in and replace Crow, if Crow was to go down, then this would make some sense.

But we don't. Duke is that guy. Our backup RB and our change of pace back, who we can put in the game and line up wide (catching defenses off-guard and creating match-up problems).

To designate the guy as the full-time slot reciver just doesn't make sense to me. Not unless we have enough depth at RB, that he only needs to know plays designated for him (and doesn't have to be prepared to take over for Crowell)

Legend
Legend
as I've said many times, I honestly do think Matt Dayes will be a pleasant surprise. I've seen him enough in college to understand his skill set. Maybe this is a sign that he's impressed the coaches enough to move Duke around a little bit.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
The better Crowell gets the more Duke will be under utilized in his current format.

Punt returner? Maybe Peppers. But that is not that tasking.

The 3-6 punt returns he will make will not make up for the lack of reps he will take at RB...especially with Crowell showing good skills as a pass catching RB. I actually hated the "3rd Down Back" as it pretty much made our call predictable.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am in favor of keeping your best players on the field. Duke has the hands, and plenty of quicks. I'd rather see Duke in a starting slot position over a back-up running back position.

I think it's a great idea.

As for backs, the team seems to like Adkinson, and Dayes looks like a nice change of pace back. We also have to consider that finding waiver wire backs as camps move forward isn't all that hard. You can always find good enough backs to fill your back-up on a one and done deal.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
So the Browns offense did not have a suitable slot receiver heading into training camp and [color:#33CC00]are forced to move their #2 RB to slot receiver...

Duke did run for 358 yds with a 4.9 yds average per carry, which made him a dual threat RB. This should help the Browns 7th round draft pick, RB Matt Dayes, make the 53 man roster. [/color]

Forced? Where did you get that from? Is this possible move more to get your best players on the field, even if not their "normal" position?

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Legend
Legend
B
He's rather see Duke on the bench except in 3rd and long situations rather than on the field on 1st and 2nd down, possibly helping to avoid 3rd and long.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I believe we have a FO with the most/best brain power that we've had in a long time. They won't ever be perfect but I think that if we can figure it out, they can figure out that they will have a potential problem with Crow next year and will act according.

Not sure what form that comes in.. Draft maybe? Free Agent? guys already here? Who knows but if they know it's a possible hole that needs filled, I'm pretty sure they will take all necessary action to fill it.

What Crow has to worry about is production. Without production this year, his market value here or anywhere else will be diminished.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
However we get the ball into Duke's hands more, I'm all for it. He's extremely effective when the football is in his hands.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You find ways to keep your best players on the field and Duke may be the 2nd or 3rd best player on offense behind Joe. He can't take the every down pounding like crow but he is the best route runner and probably best hands on the team. The rookie we drafted can be your 3rd down back when needed anyway.

Great decision.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
You find ways to keep your best players on the field and Duke may be the 2nd or 3rd best player on offense behind Joe. He can't take the every down pounding like crow but he is the best route runner and probably best hands on the team. The rookie we drafted can be your 3rd down back when needed anyway.

Great decision.

Duke Johnson is also a great runner though. He just can't handle a full load.

I'd rather we just run the ball more, and use him to spell Crow.

This kind of stuff never seems worth it to me.

I see the guy as a poor man's Brian Westbrook. He's a very good runner. His ability to go up the middle isn't bad at all. He can block, he is a very very good receiver. He can go outside too.

He just can't take the beating that Westbrook can (and I don't think he's AS dynamic as Westbrook was).

I'd rather we run the ball more and use both our RBs more.

Designing plays where he ends up a slot receiver works for me, but using him primarily as the slot receiver makes no sense.

I've seen very little of this Atkinson, and I never had heard of Dayes in College. I had seen Duke Johnson in College. He was a heckuva player. I still think he's a good one. We just need to be in the game to utilize him more.

It's tough running the ball when you're always playing from behind and defenses line-up to stop the run

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym

Great decision.

That's a scary thought, but it might be true. None of our receivers have shown particularly great hands.

I'm fine with having him and Crow on the field most of the time.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'll believe this when I see him lining up in the slot every times there are three WR's on the field. Until then... eh.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. Every time some reporter writes an article filled with speculation, the fans go crazy.

Peppers is holding out! And the beat goes on.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Arizona did the same thing with Andre Ellington.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I'll believe this when I see it. I highly doubt that DJ will be the slot receiver.

I think the 3 wide receiver set will be Britt, Coleman and Louis.

I don't think DJ is a better slot then any of the top 3 would be.

I mean its kinda big deal for DJ to move from RB to WR and its something that would have been mentioned before.

Now; I fully agree with DJ should being a bigger part of the passing game but from the backfield as RB. I think the mismatch advantage he provides is lost if he's matched up against a DB as opposed to LB.

Last edited by edromeo; 07/24/17 12:30 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, we'll see how much he actually plays that position. I think occasionally lining him up in the slot is a good thing. All kinds of teams use RBs like that. Heck, we've already done it ourselves.

I do wonder what all the posters who are saying it is a great move to be our slot WR will say when he isn't actually the starting slot receiver?

Will the Browns be dumb for not giving him that role? LOL

P
Legend
Legend
P
They'll be right either way, just watch. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lots of teams try to get the ball in a change of pace back's hand more by lining him up at WR.

I doubt that means he is a starting slot WR. I think they are just trying to get the ball into the hands of playmakers.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Lots of teams try to get the ball in a change of pace back's hand more by lining him up at WR.

I doubt that means he is a starting slot WR. I think they are just trying to get the ball into the hands of playmakers.

Obviously, I don't know for sure........but that is my take, as well.

Legend
Legend
this is a new trend in the NFL .. PIT, NE, ARI, SEA ... they put their best hands RB in the game, then motion him out to the slot to make the LB (in man coverage) exit and be isolated. If your RB is versatile, there's no way to match up ... NE won the SB because of James White

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

That's what I'm hoping.

I recognize that Duke is good at receiving the ball. He's also a good runner.

IMO, he's not utilized enough.

But he should be utilized as a RB, who creates mismatches by lining up in the slot, etc.

Not as the next Dennis Northcutt.

If we can run the ball effectively, with this offensive line, I think we should be able to get Duke his touches.

It's just hard to think that out there, somewhere, there isn't a better option to play the full-time slot than Duke. Duke has never been asked to do this or be used this way.

This is coming from a Mary Kay Cabot article. I just don't know if i'm going to take this word for word. More likely, we'll be running offenses sometimes where we have Coleman, Britt, Louis/Devalve/Njoku, and Duke Johnson will motion out of the backfield into a slot position. The goal of this is to get him covered by a LB and create the mismatch.

That's how you utilize someone like Duke in the slot

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Agree he's a playmaker who needs ball more....Edelman and he have very similar bodies- QB vs RB...both good hands, "suddenness", could be good/great route runner...I say why not, best 11....score points....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: hitt
Agree he's a playmaker who needs ball more....Edelman and he have very similar bodies- QB vs RB...both good hands, "suddenness", could be good/great route runner...I say why not, best 11....score points....GO Browns!!!

Fair enough in that they're both playmakers

But Edelman worked as a receiver in the NFL for awhile before he was very productive. He had to learn the position. He's 31 years old.

To send Duke into training camp this year, and say "Okay Duke, you're now our slot receiver" is a tall task to ask of a guy.

To ask Duke to take on Edelman's role (as that of a full-time wide receiver) just doesn't make sense. Duke needs to be utilized like Brian Westbrook.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
NE won the SB because of James White

Bill, Tom and the Falcons helped a bit too. tongue

JK

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
Taylor Gabriel sure would make that a moot point .... naughtydevil

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Taylor Gabriel sure would make that a moot point .... naughtydevil

I don't remember Gabriel being much of a slot guy here. He reminded me more of Benjamin. A small guy who was best lined up on the outside.

I think it's the same with Corey Coleman.

Sometimes people look at receivers and think that just because they're small they play the slot. That's not always the case.

Although I have no idea how Gabriel was used last year in Atlanta, except that word has he was used effectively

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
He's rather see Duke on the bench except in 3rd and long situations rather than on the field on 1st and 2nd down, possibly helping to avoid 3rd and long.

And we would also see a lot of Jett Motion from him in the slot...who knows when he would run or run a route out of that motion. whole new series of plays. A lot you can do with him out there.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

And we would also see a lot of Jett Motion from him in the slot...who knows when he would run or run a route out of that motion. whole new series of plays. A lot you can do with him out there.

I agree. Him moving around causes the defense to follow him, if they don't key on him, his talent could make them pay.

jmho

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. Percy Harvin killed it out of that set when at Florida.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
2 years in a row the Browns have took a took a player from his original drafted position and have plans on moving him.to WR.
That's a inditement on the state of the WR core to say the least
Pryor last year and Johnson this year
As another NFL team done that in recent memory ?
This isnt a genius move by Hue.
I think it's move out of desperation cause its evident the other WRS aren't progressing as planned

Legend
Legend
Are you being serious right now?

Moving to WR is the only reason Pryor is still in the league most likely.

And he did it two years ago.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd like to see a lot more of Duke and Crow on the field at the same time. I think that we can create some mismatches. 2 backs and run Duke behind Crowell. Or send Duke to a Wr spot and go single back with Crow. Run Crow vs a light box or pass it if they try to keep that extra Lb in to cover Duke while providing run support.

Last edited by Jester; 07/24/17 11:22 PM.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
B
Legend
Legend
B
It just makes sense on so many levels. As i said earlier and you just mentioned, it makes sense to have your best players on the field at the same time. It can create some nice mismatch opportunities

Hue can get pretty crative.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
j/c

as others have said, getting our best players on the field is imperative ... we don't have many good playmakers, so we must maximize them. We can't afford to have Duke on the sidelines just because Crow's in the backfield

E
Legend
Legend
E
It will also force our opponents to spend valuable time in their preparation to our game on our Duke scheme.

Unlike some I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with an indictment on the WR position being so poor. On paper it is so cause we do not have any stats of note except for Britt. Well for some on the positives "ON PAPER" don't count. But of course with a negative it must be so...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
One of these days somebody is going to listen to me and start using TWO good RB's at the same time again. AKA Byner/Mack. Two guys who can run/ catch/ and block.

Come on Hue let me make you look good laugh

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns may make Duke Johnson No. 1 slot receiver

Link Copied to Clipboard