Print Thread
S
Squires Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Quote:
Bad news, photographers: your airport experience in the United States is now more tedious if you’re planning to carry a camera onto the plane. The TSA just announced that all electronics larger than a cell phone need to be placed into a bin for separate screening.

The move is part of a rollout of “new, stronger screening procedures for carry-on items.”

If you’re bringing a camera bag or case onto the plane to keep it with you, you’ll be required to pull the camera(s) out of the bag and place them inside a bin for X-ray screening while passing through the standard security lanes. The camera will need to have nothing above or below it, similar to how laptops have already been screened at airports for years now.

The stated goal of this new measure is to give TSA security officers a clearer X-ray image of electronics than if those gadgets are left inside carry-on bags.

“It is critical for TSA to constantly enhance and adjust security screening procedures to stay ahead of evolving threats and keep passengers safe,” says acting TSA administrator Huban A. Gowadia. “By separating personal electronic items such as laptops, tablets, e-readers and handheld game consoles for screening, TSA officers can more closely focus on resolving alarms and stopping terror threats.”

“It is possible that passengers may experience more bag checks,” the TSA says, “however, through extensive testing, TSA identified ways to improve screening procedures with quicker and more targeted measures to clear the bags.

There’s no change to what can be brought through checkpoints, so you’ll be able to still carry the same camera equipment onto your flight. Also, if you are enrolled in TSA’s PreCheck program, you won’t be required to remove cameras and other electronics from your bag.

The TSA has already tested this new security plan at 10 airports across the country, and now the agency is rolling the same measures out to every single U.S. airport over the coming weeks and months.

link

Ugh. The government is hellbent on making air travel as tedious as possible. I refuse to sign up for pre-check. I'm not a criminal. I shouldn't have to be finger printed just to get on an airplane.

While this article is aimed at photographers. It says any electronics bigger than a cell phone need to be screen separately. That would includes tablets, e-readers and other devices that previously did not have to be removed.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
It is getting to the point where walking to your destination is faster than flying.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
It is getting to the point where walking to your destination is faster than flying.

I hear you.

I used to fly a lot. Now, if I can drive somewhere in 10-12 hours, I usually opt for that unless time is a critical factor.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
When I take a 1-1/2 hour flight, say to Bermuda, I arrive 2 hours early for TSA and then board the plane.

600 miles off the North Carolina coast and it takes 3-1/2 hours!

Lindbergh did it in less than half that time!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yay for precheck!

I'm actually one of the rare ones who loves flying. Get to the airport 2+ hours early, head to the lounge, enjoy some complimentary drinks and food. Get on the plane, plug my ear phones in and watch some new releases.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't get what the big deal is, in fact I don't even see it as much of a change.. I've had to pull my tablet out of my computer bag for years... I never travel with a camera (other than my phone).. I just assumed all electronic devices were treated that way.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
I don't get what the big deal is, in fact I don't even see it as much of a change.. I've had to pull my tablet out of my computer bag for years... I never travel with a camera (other than my phone).. I just assumed all electronic devices were treated that way.

Yeah, I don't get the frustration. I remember people were complaining about belts and shoes...then hats...then computers...now cameras. If you're going to fly and carry on things, security will want to check you and your things. Outside of waiting in line, I've never spent more than 3-5 minutes with security.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I've never had a problem with security either.. though earlier this year at RDU in Raleigh I accidently got in the precheck ropes, it was like 6 am and there were not many people in the airport.. There wasn't anybody waiting so I walked right up to the lady who told me I was in the wrong place and had to walk all the way around the outside of the security ropes to the other side.. which I did and I was the 4th person in line when I got there.. in about 4 minutes, when it was my turn, they sent me back to the woman who had made me leave the first time... saywhat

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Whatever it takes to make air travel safe....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Of course there’s many people willing to die if they can crash a plane and kill a lot of people.

You’ve got to think of it like water pressure.

If there’s a hole, the water will leak through.

If there’s a way a person bent on crashing a plane and killing a lot of people can do it, (ie. terrorist),

They will.

I imagine there’s U.S. groups - kind of like think tanks - that come up with ways to crash commercial jets. I bet they even simulate terrorist plots and see if airport security catches them.

Sure makes sense. Under the circumstances.

Last time I flew was December 2001 - down to Tampa to party with the DudedinDawgs for a Browns game.

From what I remember, they hadn’t yet instituted a lot of the security procedures I’ve read about on DT. For instance, I didn’t have to take off shoes.

I think it was just like it was before the 9/11 attacks.

Except that there was airport security everywhere openingly carrying M-16s.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Last time I flew was December 2001 - down to Tampa to party with the DudedinDawgs for a Browns game.

From what I remember, they hadn’t yet instituted a lot of the security procedures I’ve read about on DT. For instance, I didn’t have to take off shoes.

I think it was just like it was before the 9/11 attacks.

Except that there was airport security everywhere openingly carrying M-16s.

TSA wasn't started until late November 2001.. so it's unlikely they had these procedures up and running when you flew.. they were still performing airport security, as you mentioned, the old fashioned way.. soldiers with guns and dogs.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

I fly a lot with work. I do have pre-check and and thankful for it.

Travel and security before 9/11 was remarkably lack in comparison to other countries. IN the UK other than responding to some requests by the USA that the UK doesn't necessarily agree with but obliges - I do not think their security has changed much at all since before 9/11.

Some of the US stipulations like removing footwear is not a procedure enforced elsewhere. It makes me think that some of what we see as "security" is really for show and doesn't truly make us safer. But my *guess* is that something like the scrutiny of cameras is based on chatter or intel that NSA or other agencies must have picked up. . . . I'm in the camp that I can live with the extra 5 minutes of inconvenience.

Last edited by mgh888; 07/27/17 02:49 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
When I take a 1-1/2 hour flight, say to Bermuda, I arrive 2 hours early for TSA and then board the plane.

600 miles off the North Carolina coast and it takes 3-1/2 hours!

Lindbergh did it in less than half that time!

FYI...The max air speed for the "Spirit of St Louis" was 133MPH Cruising speed around 100-110MPH So it would have taken Chuck about double that time.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Some of the US stipulations like removing footwear is not a procedure enforced elsewhere. It makes me think that some of what we see as "security" is really for show and doesn't truly make us safer.

TSA is very reactionary. The shoes was in response to the shoe bomber in December 2001, who oddly enough, was British.. The limits on liquids was in response to a 2006 attempt by a jihadist to bring on a liquid (or it might have been 2 liquids to combine) that would have been explosive enough to bring down a plane.. So it is quite possible that this new camera ban (or check) is a response to something somebody overseas tried or we got wind they were going to try..

Last edited by DCDAWGFAN; 07/27/17 03:52 PM.

yebat' Putin
S
Squires Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S

Because I'm not talking about just removing a compact point and shoot camera. Enthusiasts and professionals have a bunch of gear. Multiple camera bodies, multiple lenses, speedlights, flash remotes, etc. All of that now has to be unpacked.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Squires

Because I'm not talking about just removing a compact point and shoot camera. Enthusiasts and professionals have a bunch of gear. Multiple camera bodies, multiple lenses, speedlights, flash remotes, etc. All of that now has to be unpacked.

I'm ok with you unpacking if it keeps terrorists from blowing up planes.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

So pack it securely and check it.. don't carry it on if it's that much trouble.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

More cheked bags means more in added fees. I wonder if TSA get a kickback from the airlines?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
S
Squires Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

I'm ok with you unpacking if it keeps terrorists from blowing up planes.

I'm glad treating everyone like a terrorist gives you a false sense of security. Reality is, TSA is horrible at what they do. If you think they are keeping people safe, think again.

TSA 95% failure rate

Quote:
TSA screeners, many of whom work part-time with no benefits, have a high-stress low-paying job that lacks many protections that other government workers have. Frustrated passengers create an unpleasant work environment for screeners, and complaints about long lines create political pressure on them to move people rapidly. As a result, there is high turnover among personnel; and the chronic stress experienced by those who remain impedes their job performance. These factors increase the likelihood that an actual terrorist will encounter an inexperienced, inattentive, or stressed-out screener who is motivated to move passengers along as quickly as possible.

These are the people that are supposed to be stopping terrorists. That's like hiring Walmart greeters to do a cyber security job and expect them to stop data breaches.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus TSA Requires a Separate Screening of Cameras in Airports Now

Link Copied to Clipboard