Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by PDX in reference to Disneyland and Las Vegas:

Quote:
...both are in the US.

Thanks for the geology lesson professor.

Hey, I wanna go to Mexico and Canada. Preferably in Canada to a spanish speaking province or area.

geology?

I must have rocks in my head.

Geography.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
quote above by PDX in reference to Disneyland and Las Vegas:

Quote:
...both are in the US.

Thanks for the geology lesson professor.

That's because I was struggling to find a place I have travelled to that I was "disappointed" with. Disneyland and Vegas...yea, I was very disappointed. Slovakia? Not so much. Just a bit dull in comparison to Krakow/Zakopane and Prague. Still, I would go to Slovakia over Disney or Vegas...Any. Day. Of. The. Week!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Hey me too. I'm half Croation.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
To each his own I guess. My Friend went to Cancun and She said it was the worst time ever. How did you get out of the Gates?
She said they were not allowed to leave the compound and they were warned that going anywhere outside in Mexico was setting themselves up for trouble with the gangs of Mexico. She said when they went swimming there were guard towers all up and down the coast with armed guards and it was unnerving. She also said that no matter what you ordered to eat anything with meat was all the same bad pig meat, as she called it. Even pizza. I don't think I will be going rofl

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's always intelligent to take one person's account of something as 100% gospel.

Legend
Legend
just my experience bro, but typically staying in the tourist areas is the best way to get got, at least financially.

i know in europe, either western or Eastern, staying in the tourist areas is a good way to either pay ridiculous prices for food, hotels, and entertainment, and the best location to get straight up robbed.

getting out of tourist locations allows you to actually SEE how the nationals live. hotel prices drop, cost of living drops, entertainment prices drop, traffic and other dumbass tourist who get in the way massively drops, and the locals tend to be waaaaayyy friendlier.

*most* of the historic sites that everyone knows is in the tourist spots, yes. but if you really want a vacation, you have to bounce out and explore outside the tourist traps.

IMO, of course.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
Excellent point.

I tried to stay out of this early, but the trashing of France and Italy are great examples of what you are talking about. You can find some of the worst spots in the world in both, but then again, you can find some of the very, very best in the world in both.

It's pretty much true of everywhere. Even here, in the USA. For example, what would a foreigner think if you dumped him in Altgeld Gardens in Chicago and what would another think if you dropped him off in Bug Sur, CA?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You might be right. I just know she had a really bad time. I've just never had a desire to travel outside the country. I've been to Canada fishing once upon a time and thats it. Although I have been all over our Country, so I have traveled quite a bit with my Dad years ago. Keep the peace Bro.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
O
Legend
Legend
O
I've been to Cancun before, and much more recently I went to Riviera Maya (just south of Cancun). Loved both times.

I think staying in the resorts is probably the way to go, as I'm a little more risk adverse than many of you, but staying there and not venturing out is BORING. The Riviera Maya trip was my honeymoon, and my wife did not even want to talk about venturing out. I eventually harangued her into going into town (still very touristy), and we managed to find some slightly less touristy spots. That was the best part of the trip.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL bro.........not sure what Freud would have to say about the best part of the trip statement? wink

R
Legend
Legend
R
Vegas is awesome. It's an awesome place to live. Great weather, no flying bugs, no humidity, and one of the best tax situations in the US...no state income tax, no sales tax on groceries, and reasonable property taxes.

Tons of restaurants and crap to do...whether debaucherous or innocent.

I've lived on the east coast. I've lived in Cali. I've travelled all over the US. Give me Vegas any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Vegas is awesome. It's an awesome place to live. Great weather, no flying bugs, no humidity, and one of the best tax situations in the US...no state income tax, no sales tax on groceries, and reasonable property taxes.

I've lived on the east coast. I've lived in Cali. I've travelled all over the US. Give me Vegas any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

This sounds like a great retirement idea for a non-gambler.

I wonder if I could swing it.

2019 will be a great year to be a Las Vegas Browns Backer.

R
Legend
Legend
R
There's a reason a lot of people do retire out here.

A gal I work with is the VP of one of the Browns Backers Clubs out here. My understanding is they have a great turnout.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

To each their own. We currently have friends visiting from the UK and they love Vegas too.
They would live there. Us? Nope.

But, the cities, towns, countries etc. that I like I am sure others don't. For instance...I am amazed France has been ragged on so much. It is a beautiful country, great food, great art, full of culture and history. Sure, they are cultural snobs and look down their noses at pretty much everybody (especially the Americans and English) but, you know what? So, do the Americans. Hell, half of the posts in the Political forum are all about how great the USA is and how it is the best country on earth. It works both ways.

Legend
Legend

I may have to add it to my list of places I wanna move to in the next ten years.

Because I don't want to be in Ohio anymore.

And you had me at "no humidity"

Humidity is my nemesis.

Hence why I wanna move to Arizona.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Quote:
And Canada was the only other place I've been. Now, that was a big let down. Niagara Falls looked exactly the same from the other side.

You didn't visit "my Canada."
"My Canada" has a population density of about 12 people per square km.
"My Canada" is accessible only by foot or canoe.
And "My Canada" is drop dead, can't breathe, tears in your eyes gorgeous:

The most dangerous km on the entire trail. "The Crack" (250m drop down a crack in the rock face). Took over an hour:

Topaz Lake, the best rock diving spot I've ever visited.:

Views like this are everywhere. Hunny & Me did a 70-mile loop here. 14 days in the backcountry. That's not snow- the mountains' primary mineral composition is white quartzite. These pictures don't do the water justice. The blue colors are like nothing I've ever seen before. Beauty so profound, it almost hurts your eyes.

This is your reward for climbing Silver Peak

No, son.... "My Canada" kicks azz.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Oh yeah, I know Canada is beautiful. I hope you knew I was being factious. laugh

I've just never been anywhere other than Niagara Falls.

Legend
Legend
France...We got off the Ferry in Calais. We rented a car and drove straight into Belgium. That's all I saw of France, never to return. I was disappointed.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I was most disappointed in Switzerland ... not that it was a bad country or had little to do ... it was just SO expensive

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Oh yeah, I know Canada is beautiful. I hope you knew I was being factious. laugh

I didn't know that, but I'm relieved to know it now.

Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
I've just never been anywhere other than Niagara Falls.

Go back soon.... and see more. There is some stunning scenery all along the Niagara escarpment. The place we go is on the northern shore of Georgian Bay. Next trip: Alberta. The Canadian Rockies are bucket list material.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I have done a lot of eastern Canada....Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia. NS was my favorite of all. My wife and I drove from upstate NY to Nova Scotia and spent 10 days seeing it from Cape Breton in the north to Halifax/Yarmouth in the south. Grabbed the ferry back to Portland, ME thinking we would save time driving home. The ferry was 10 hours and the biggest waves I have ever experienced. Found out later that the Bay of Fundy is one of the roughest areas of the North Atlantic. If only I had known beforehand! I was pretty ill, as were many others, for several hours. Never again.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Vancouver or the western/middle section of the country but, as Vancouver is only 6 hours drive from here we will one day do BC properly.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
France...We got off the Ferry in Calais. We rented a car and drove straight into Belgium. That's all I saw of France, never to return. I was disappointed.

Lyon has the best food I've ever had anywhere. Paris is good as well but Lyon is special to me

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

To be fair, Calais is a port town with a transient nature set up for the movement of people and goods. Hardly the best place to judge the country. That's kinda like if somebody visiting America only went to Gary, Indiana. Yea, they probably would never want to set foot in the USA again.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
"

Humidity is my nemesis.

Hence why I wanna move to Arizona.

I lived in Arizona for a few years and the air was so dry you couldn't sweat if you wanted to.

I had a slight nose bleed for the first month from the dry air but it soon passed as I danced around in my completely dry clothes.

At the end of the day you were still nice and dry.
My shirt would have a salt ring around the neck and chest because the sweat would evaporate so quickly it left only the salt behind.

Live in Virginia now where you sweat out while drinking a cold beer.

Nice memories of Arizona, thanks. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Yeah.

Some day.

I won't miss taking a shower and drying off. Just to be completely soaked again a few minutes later. And just end up laying the towel on the bed.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
Legend
Legend
Its so dry there you can die of thirst with a glass of water in your hands. It evaporates before it gets to your lips! rofl

You buy a nice steak at the store and before you can get it home its jerky! thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Quit teasing me!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I could never live in a place as hot as Arizona. But, I do prefer the dry heat to the humid heat. The sun, however, feels like a flame on the back of your neck. It is SO intense.

Arizona as a state does have some beautiful areas. Sedona's red rocks are stunning. The quasi-new age spirituality and "vortex/crystal/white people with dreadlocks" tourism is a bit much but, see past that and it is an incredible place geographically speaking. Flagstaff is also a cool university town (Northern Arizona Univ) surrounded by pine trees and mountains. Very different from the desert portion of the state.

Phoenix however is one massive, dusty, hot sprawling city. In all fairness, I haven't spent a lot of time there but, in the times I have been there I haven't found much that makes me yearn to go back for more.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Desert location are usually a love them or leave them deal.

I myself love them, my wife however hates them. She wants her green. I like the low humidity.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
I could never live in a place as hot as Arizona. But, I do prefer the dry heat to the humid heat. The sun, however, feels like a flame on the back of your neck. It is SO intense.

Arizona as a state does have some beautiful areas. Sedona's red rocks are stunning. The quasi-new age spirituality and "vortex/crystal/white people with dreadlocks" tourism is a bit much but, see past that and it is an incredible place geographically speaking. Flagstaff is also a cool university town (Northern Arizona Univ) surrounded by pine trees and mountains. Very different from the desert portion of the state.

Phoenix however is one massive, dusty, hot sprawling city. In all fairness, I haven't spent a lot of time there but, in the times I have been there I haven't found much that makes me yearn to go back for more.
I have only been in Arizona in traveling on a bus tour from Vegas to The Grand Canyon, but that part of Arizona is amazing .

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I have been to almost all 50 states. I still say Ohio is the best smile I have only been to two other countries. Canada and Mexico. You don't even have to guess which one of those was the most disappointing.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
I've been to:
US (duh)
Canada
Germany (lived there)
France
Italy
Luxembourg
England
Netherlands
Belgium
Switzerland
Austria

The only one I was mostly disappointed with was Italy. Sure, some of the sights are great, but you walk a little ways and its a [censored] hole. Graffiti, trash everywhere. Verona was an exception to that.

Parisians are assholes overall, but I love the city. ran into some asshats in Verdun as well. Normandy area and Strasbourg were always nice.

Germany was a great place to live and travel about. The germans may have a cold personality reputation, but I found them to be extremely friendly overall. I miss the way of life.

Belgium was always a nice visit and nothing like getting my favorite beers in the world for nothing.

Switz and Austria are absolutely beautiful and ran into friendly people in both.

Lux was always a nice quick visit as well. They still have a chi chi's!

Netherlands... beautiful place. Amsterdam is a mixed bag. You have to be in the mood for it...

London was great, but expensive. People were mostly friendly for a big city. My son (5 at the time) was disappointed they didn't speak English lol

#gmstrong
M
Rookie
Rookie
M
Latvia, what a total crap hole of a country.

Second is either Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, or Azerbaijan, probably in that order.

B
Legend
Legend
B
They sound like places I wouldn't even go. Might as well go to N. Korea.

Why??

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Thailand.

Terrible place.

Beautiful scenery but...

Sex shops for anything imaginable.
Lady Boys.
Nothing to eat but Thai food.
Even their capital is named Bang(censored)

Last Christian tour I ever go on!

Last edited by 40YEARSWAITING; 08/07/17 05:19 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Most of the world not named USA has sex shops everywhere.

When I was in Vienna, there were sex shop ads posted on the street for "Clintons Cigar Trick".

I took a picture of it. Because wow.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
A pic of the sign or the act? willynilly blush

E
Legend
Legend
E
Of the sign lol.

Not really interested in going to sex shops.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Phew.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Magdawg
Latvia, what a total crap hole of a country.

Second is either Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, or Azerbaijan, probably in that order.

See, I was in Riga for a couple days in June a couple years ago. Loved it.

Funny how that stuff works.

I've been to a lot of countries. I drove through France, stopped real quick for one night, terrible experience (2006 Fall, when Americans were hated).

Oherwise, I like most places I've been to, but they make me appreciate where I am more.

I've spent a lot of time in Germany and Czech Republic. (Munich and Prague).
Been to............................

Germany
Czech Rep
Greece
Netherlands
France
England
Ireland
Poland
Hungary
Austria
Latvia
Iceland
Azores
Denmark
Peru
Mexico
Costa Rica
Gibraltar
Bahamas

Panama Airport and Nicuragua/Costa Rica Border, lol

Oh and on cruises that stopped in
1) Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Tortolla, St Martin
2) Roatan (Honduras), Belize, and Grand Cayman Island

Not sure what my favorite places would be. Where I could live........ I guess England, Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru. And I've lived for a month a few times in Germany and I was in Prague for a semester.

I will say, I had a wonderful trip to Peru this April. Highly recommended

My next foreign trip I wanna go on would be to Jordan. I've got political issues with the Israeli Government (so I refuse to go there), and Jordan is about as close as I can get to the Holy Land. So yeah, hoping my wife and I can get it together and go there 2018 Spring

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I like the rules and order in Germany. The rules are there for a reason. Follow the rules. It's for the good of everybody.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 08/07/17 07:03 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Most Disappointing Country You've Visited

Link Copied to Clipboard