Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sounds more like what Donovan would do. The majority of the media are always scared to death of the AFC North schedule. I don't think Hue really gives a damn about the supposed early strength of schedule. He knows these teams and he is probably more comfortable playing these teams.

Hue said he would like to name a QB before the first preseason game, I think he does. Still believe it will be Kizer. The kid is earning the respect of the vets with his bluecollar work ethic. He is making the calls and is grasping this offense.

The only question left is how is he gonna do when the bullets start flying and I want him behind that first team OL when they start flying.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
If they already have a plan to start Kiser week 5 or whatever, they might as well start him week 1 and quit saying there is a qb competition.

Plan's of that nature is written on rice paper.

Its more of "IF" he is ready that is the time we put him in...btw that is our 8th game (In London).

He still needs to learn our system.
He needs to see how a starting QB prepares for the upcoming game.
He needs to see how to implement the game plan during the week.
He needs to see film in that QB room after the game and learn from the mistakes made.

I'll tell you this...there is no COACH on earth that isn't playing to go into the playoffs and win a championship.

We are talking about THE PLAN being Kizer as the best QB to win ...game #1 he probably will not be.

Also this play him to see what we got before the 2018 draft is hooey. If we are 4-9...you do that the last 3 games to see how he plays.

If we go into the draft and we think there is a sure thing Franchise QB seeing Kizer or not won't matter we will take said QB...So lets see it will be a bad thing if both Stud Out wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

You've got to take what Donovan said with about a millions grains of salt ...

Donovan's conversation was private, he's not one known to BS for the sake of hearing his own voice.

However, and to your point, there are a multitude of circumstances that can occur outside of the Browns control that can force a change in plans. Hence, his comment of "barring any unforeseen circumstance."

I believe the Browns plan to start Kizer after the London is the plan in an ideal world (assuming Donovan's comments hold merit).

As we are all know, we don't live in an ideal world and change is a constant in the NFL.

Time will tell.

Legend
Legend
'DeShone Kizer moves closer to being named starter for preseason opener: Browns quarterback competition recap'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...art_river_index

D
Legend
Legend
D
Yeah, the reporting is deceptive. To the point you almost just got to ignore the articles and etc until Hue himself just declares the starter.

As stated, I thought it would be GREAT if someone, soon, just stepped it up and made Hue's decision very easy and etc.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I know some who have cited that Kessler is disappointing so far and used his recent practice with 3 sacks as an example...this is what Hue Jackson had to say about that.

“Sometimes the sacks don’t have anything to do with the quarterback,” Jackson said. “We made it sound like the quarterback, I mean, there was three missed assignments in protection, so that wasn’t the quarterback. I know that for a fact.”

Just saying....the media wants KIZER to start, it makes for much more talk and also NATIONAL attention to their articles. Kessler is a pretty boring subject for them...Again I doubt we rush Kizer...

As for preseason...well I see one of them starting the first game and then the other starting the 2nd game. The key will be who starts the 3rd GAME and probably we will name the opening day starter that week as well. (talking about Kessler and Kizer who are both taking reps with the ones)

jmho

Last edited by eotab; 08/04/17 09:49 AM.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: eotab
I know some who have cited that Kessler is disappointing so far and used his recent practice with 3 sacks as an example...this is what Hue Jackson had to say about that.

“Sometimes the sacks don’t have anything to do with the quarterback,” Jackson said. “We made it sound like the quarterback, I mean, there was three missed assignments in protection, so that wasn’t the quarterback. I know that for a fact.”

Just saying....the media wants KIZER to start, it makes for much more talk and also NATIONAL attention to their articles. Kessler is a pretty boring subject for them...Again I doubt we rush Kizer...

As for preseason...well I see one of them starting the first game and then the other starting the 2nd game. The key will be who starts the 3rd GAME and probably we will name the opening day starter that week as well. (talking about Kessler and Kizer who are both taking reps with the ones)

jmho

If you watch his presser when asked that (Tony Grossi was the reporter), he said far more and his body language also said it.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab

jmho

Kizer starting heightens the excitement level. Kessler? Not nearly as much.

P.S. I can't believe preseason football starts next week. I'm excited!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
QB wrap: DeShone Kizer again involved in memorable play
7:10 PM ET
Pat McManamon
ESPN Staff Writer

BEREA, Ohio -- An indisputable fact is that DeShone Kizer has made the noteworthy plays the past few days at Cleveland Browns training camp.

Kizer got the only points Thursday as each of the three competing quarterback candidates got a chance at a one-minute drill. Cody Kessler ended with a 10-yard throw incomplete to the sidelines on fourth-and-22. Brock Osweiler had a fourth-down throw go incomplete. But Kizer was able to complete a 28-yard pass on third down to set up a field goal.

Receiver James Wright helped immensely by outleaping a defender for the ball, but Kizer got the ball downfield, something that hasn't happened often in this camp.

"I think those are the plays that quarterbacks have to make," Browns coach Hue Jackson said. "And he made it."

On a two-point drill, Kessler got in the end zone once on three plays on a quick screen, and Osweiler was 0-for-3 with a pass knocked down in the end zone.

Kizer went through two reads before completing a pass for the conversion, then twice handed off on the read-option for conversions.

Best throw -- Kizer's throw to Wright qualifies. Kizer put the ball down the field, which allowed Wright to make a noteworthy leaping catch. The pass was not perfect, but it showed Kizer's arm strength and ability to get the ball down the field when he sets up properly.

Oops moment -- Count them. Kessler threw a 10-yard incompletion on fourth-and-22 to the sideline. Kessler was sacked four times, though two starting linemen did not practice (Joel Bitonio and Joe Thomas) and Jackson said three of the sacks were broken assignments by the offensive line. Osweiler had a nice throw over the middle for a 15-yard touchdown to J.P. Holtz, but he also did not get in the end zone once on three attempted two-point conversions. On one, he tried to run. Yes he looked Kosar-esque.

In summary -- It's easy to beat the drum for Kizer; he is, after all, the exciting rookie. But that's not the intention. He still has much to learn and room to grow. But when the other two quarterbacks competing for the starting job stumble, Kizer's good throws stand out. That has happened the last couple of days. Jackson has a lot to weigh, but the overriding factor heading into Friday's scrimmage is that neither Osweiler nor Kessler has grabbed the opportunity.

He said it -- Jackson said when he announces the starter for the Aug. 10 preseason opener it does not mean that guy will be the starting quarterback for the season opener. That would seem to indicate a strong lean toward Kessler starting against the New Orleans Saints. He's taken all the initial reps with the starters and could do so again in the game. Jackson also cautioned the team only had two days of practice preparing for Thursday's practice season opener. "I'm not going to rush [a decision]," Jackson said. "It's too important a decision to get right. I love the pressure you guys put on, but I'm not succumbing to it.”

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
general thought:

If the Browns Rush Kaiser in because he's just the next one in line, then it continues to show that they won't stick with any quarterback, (Kessler), through the development process.

(I'd say Manziel didn't fail on the field, he may have, off the field, but his gameplay didn't end him.)
It would be ^^ his 3rd or 4th season.

((( If the Browns had taken, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and ?, and cut them each after 6 months of hype, or after half a season of starts, for the next best thing to come along, then they wouldn't have a quarterback either,)))
So that is to say,
I think they need to let this thing play out and give all 3 of these guys a chance, and a chance for somebody to win the job outright.

And The Hall of fame game, preseason started last night. less than 39 days until opening day.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the media is conspiring against Cody Kessler.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think the media is conspiring against Cody Kessler.

Cody Kessler is a good Christian man. I root for him to succeed. But, I think he is a terrible NFL QB. With him as QB I do not see any chance of success.

Brock O provides this seasons best chance for wins.

DeShone Kizer provides the best chance of hope for the future.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My bud tells me Browns have been putting in a lot of plays that are Kizer specific, playaction bootlegs, read option runs and passes. I reminded him, we ran the read option with McCown when he could barely stand last year lol

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm pretty much with you. Cody is a good kid and as a person I don't think you can find much better. But as a QB his limitations are not conducive to being a starting NFL QB.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
My bud tells me Browns have been putting in a lot of plays that are Kizer specific, playaction bootlegs, read option runs and passes. I reminded him, we ran the read option with McCown when he could barely stand last year lol

I don't like the fact he's scored on a read/option and handed off twice yesterday for scores in the read/option ... if Hue puts that play in and we run it more than once or twice a game ... it won't end well for Kizer's health ...

Thanks for the info on the plays ... I think the writing is on the wall ...

At least tonight we get to see something for ourselves ... with the ones were going up against each other ... that would mean a heck of a lot more ...

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

I don't like the fact he's scored on a read/option and handed off twice yesterday for scores in the read/option ... if Hue puts that play in and we run it more than once or twice a game ... it won't end well for Kizer's health ...

At least tonight we get to see something for ourselves ... with the ones were going up against each other ... that would mean a heck of a lot more ...

Damn it Jackson. I don't like that at all.

3 things Kizer needs.

A defense worth a crap.
A RUNNING GAME. And that don't include Kizer.
Play-Action off said Running game. (Kize was deadly accurate off PA at ND. So says his Completion % ).

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: kwhip

3 things Kizer needs.

A defense worth a crap.
Play-Action off said Running game. (Kize was deadly accurate off PA at ND. So says his Completion % ).

Kizer is fully capable of running the read option without getting killed. Hue Jackson ran it successfully with Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, Russell Wilson runs it a ton in Seattle, and Marcus Mariota runs it in Tennessee. If a QB protects himself, it can be a nice weapon to have. It should not be the focal point of an NFL offense.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: kwhip
[quote=Mourgrym]My bud tells me Browns have been putting in a lot of plays that are Kizer specific, playaction bootlegs, read option runs and passes. I reminded him, we ran the read option with McCown when he could barely stand last year lol

3 things Kizer needs.

A defense worth a crap.

Kizer is fully capable of running the read option without getting killed. Hue Jackson ran it successfully with Andy Dalton in Cincinnati, Russell Wilson runs it a ton in Seattle, and Marcus Mariota runs it in Tennessee. If a QB protects himself, it can be a nice weapon to have. It should not be the focal point of an NFL offense. [/quote

Dude. You either have NO CLUE what I'm referencing. OR you just have a Fantasy Clue.]

C
Legend
Legend
C
Now I really have no clue.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc

No clear leader in Browns’ three-way quarterback race

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 6, 2017, 5:50 AM EDT
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...arterback-race/

Cody Kessler opened training camp as the Browns’ starting quarterback, but he hasn’t done much to keep the job.

Kessler has struggled in camp, opening the door for either veteran Brock Osweiler or rookie DeShone Kizer to take the starting job. But it’s unclear which one of those two is in the lead.

ESPN say indications are that Osweiler will start the first preseason game. But the Akron Beacon Journal reports that coach Hue Jackson hinted that Kizer will get promoted to the first string this week and start Thursday night’s preseason opener.

Jackson has said he’ll take his time determining a starter for the regular season. It may take the entire preseason for someone to emerge as the leader in this three-man race.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I say start Osweiler for the first few games. If he pans out leave him in. If he falters go to Kizer. Kessler has not shown anything that would make him a starter

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Hue so far has been a terrible judge of qbs.
He might be good at developing the product that is already in place i.e Flacco Dalton
But as far as being able to draft or spot talent eeh not so much
He choose Kessler over Prescott and was gaga over RG3......and both were complete failures for the franchise

Legend
Legend
Prescott would not have been anywhere as good here as he was in Dallas.

In Dallas he had the NFL's best OL, a great RB, a plus WR, plus TE, and a solid defense.

He would not have had any of those things here.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Fact remains the Browns passed up a golden opportunity to acquire their franchise qb last year
Prescott is better than any qb on the Browns roster especially Kessler
Kessler is the perfect clipboard holder towel waver
Start Kizer. Making him sit isn't going to matter much
The Browns aren't going to playoffs this year any how

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

My take on the QB situation pretty much matches the article above posted by mac. At the start of camp, starting QB was Kessler's to lose, and that seems to be exactly what he has done. They appear to want Kizer to win the job, but Brock has looked better (not good, but better.)

I think they will start Brock on Thursday, but they are hoping Kizer develops enough by the end of camp to start the season.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kizer getting the majority of his reps with first team while brock continuing to work with 2nd team, says Kizer is probably next in line to get his shot in place of Cody. Brock starts splitting reps between 1st and 2nd while Cody begins competition with Hogan.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I like it. I'm no Osweiler fan, but he is better than Kessler. I say give Kizer a ton of work in the preseason, and the rest to Osweiler. If Kizer gets it, Hue should know by September. I would definitely prefer the vet over a rookie as far as the opener goes.

We need a downfield game, or this offense will not succeed. To run effectively, there must be some threat of a pass game. IMO, BO can give you that, Kessler can't. I hope Kizer succeeds, it would make the whole thing better, at least for this year. fingerscrossed

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Brock's been better than Cody and DK from what I've read. Also. Hogan's been about as good as Brock. That would make Kevin #2 at this point wouldn't it? saywhat

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think you play Brock until Kizer is ready. Hogan=Kessler

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Prescott would not have been anywhere as good here as he was in Dallas.

In Dallas he had the NFL's best OL, a great RB, a plus WR, plus TE, and a solid defense.

He would not have had any of those things here.

I don't want to build on that point, because it's been said enough, and isn't really the point.

However.

I wanted Dak. I figured we wouldn't draft him after the DUI (separate issue), he went on to surprise a lot of people, probably even some people in Dallas.

The point is not that he wouldn't "have been as good here" without the supporting cast he had in Dallas.

The point is, he probably wouldn't have "looked" as good, and all the people claiming we'd have our Franchise QB would want someone "better"

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
Not to pile on Kessler but I think he has big time confident issues. The kid could be good but he just doesn't believe in himself...sometimes you can see that in his eyes.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Could be because he got knocked around last year because he was forced to play to soon. Same thing could happen to DK if we rush him couldn't it? Let DK sit and ease him in slowly.

Legend
Legend
suddenly it seems as if:

1 - Kizer is unequivocally NOT ready to be the starter (as was expected by most of us when he as drafted)
2 - Kessler has shown no improvement
3 - Brock has shown the most experience and poise

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
suddenly it seems as if:

1 - Kizer is unequivocally NOT ready to be the starter (as was expected by most of us when he as drafted)
2 - Kessler has shown no improvement
3 - Brock has shown the most experience and poise
Yeah, up until now it's all been based speculation. Now we have actual evidence of TC performances.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
Legend
Legend
O
Kizer, from what's been written, has shown a lot of potential, but just isn't consistent. That was what many folks were expecting from him when he was drafted. He does a lot of stuff well, but just hasn't quite put it all together, and has a couple of flaws.

If that's the case, it would be foolish to start him now. Keep giving him the extra 1st team reps. If Kessler is going to lose his top spot, I think he'll lose it to Brock, unless that light we've been talking about for every single QB we've had goes on for Kizer.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Look's like we'll be throwing alot of short passes and slants this year along with a heavy dose of running. Maybe Hue should install the wing-t thumbsup

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
So it looks like it's Brock's to lose. Hes the best choice right now which underscores how crappy we remain at qb.

I have to say that my optimism lasted about a week longer than last year.

That's real progress.

Last edited by redddog; 08/07/17 08:38 AM.
Legend
Legend
'Brock Osweiler named Browns starter for preseason opener against Saints'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

Updated on August 7, 2017 at 8:48 AM Posted on August 7, 2017 at 8:15 AM

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio - Brock Osweiler will start the preseason opener Monday against the Saints, Hue Jackson announced Monday.

Cody Kessler will be the second man up, followed by DeShone Kizer and Kevin Hogan.

"At this stage in the evaluation process of our quarterbacks, we are going to have Brock start the preseason opener against the Saints on Thursday night," head coach Hue Jackson said in a release. "A lot goes into our evaluation but it's always going to be about efficiently and effectively running the offense. You want your starter to be able to do that despite any circumstance.

"Brock hasn't really gotten any first team reps and this will give him that chance. We look forward to seeing what he can do with this opportunity throughout the week and against the Saints.''

The move doesn't bode well for Kessler as the starting quarterback this season, and likely means that Jackson felt Kizer wasn't ready for the No. 1 just yet.

"Cody will be the second quarterback to take the field followed by DeShone and then Kevin. I'm pleased with the way our quarterbacks have competed and improved throughout the offseason and training camp. We are going to see a lot more of all of them this preseason and everyone in that room still has the chance to earn more opportunities and the right to lead our team as the starter when the regular season begins on September 10th."

Osweiler told cleveland.com on Wednesday that he's much a 'better quarterback' now than the one who went 5-2 for the Broncos in 2015.

"I know that for a fact, because I've never been coached so hard on my fundamentals until I got here,'' Osweiler said. "Coach Jackson and coach Lee, they do not let a single rep go without being on your fundamentals, and your fundamentals are what make you play great, so I am excited about the potential of the 2017 season.

"Like I said, not only do I feel capable of playing the way I did in 2015, I think I can play a lot better. Not a little better, a lot better. So I'm very excited about the potential this season.''

More to come soon.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Kizer, from what's been written, has shown a lot of potential, but just isn't consistent. That was what many folks were expecting from him when he was drafted. He does a lot of stuff well, but just hasn't quite put it all together, and has a couple of flaws.

If that's the case, it would be foolish to start him now. Keep giving him the extra 1st team reps. If Kessler is going to lose his top spot, I think he'll lose it to Brock, unless that light we've been talking about for every single QB we've had goes on for Kizer.

oober is 100% correct, it would be foolish to start Kizer before he is ready. He is learning according to his ability and attempting to force the issue could do more harm than good.

I doubt that Hue Jackson is surprised by Kizer's progress because he was considered "a project" when he was drafted. Kizer is turning out to be what Hue thought he would be..a 21 yr old QB who needs some time to develop. How quickly Kiser develops is the question that can not be answered.

It should be noted, injuries or trades could become a factor in the Browns QB depth chart...for the first game of the regular season, I would not be surprised if Brock is #1, Kessler #2 and Kizer #3

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Or a true single wing. Very brutal if done right. Not too far away from wild cat in some ways.

Brock for now; Kizer later. Kessler can't seem to figure out unloading the ball rather than getting sacked; Kizer seems too be part of a posse that can't throw straight (consistently).

I see Brock by default. Brock one's, Kizer two's. Kessler may have maxed out. Reps go to those with proven upside IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns' starting QB battle might be Cody Kessler vs. a rookie

Link Copied to Clipboard