Next Thread
Print Thread
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Absolutely nothing after we tied the game 14-14 as NFL network went to an hour or so special on Zeke getting suspended.

So our last score highlight.

Our OL did pretty good even after the few penalties on Coleman and Erving they did ok.

Brock...didn't realize he pushed the ball like that - looks like he struggles to throw and needs to go Uummph every throw even short ones. Weird for a guy that tall. No flick from him.

Kessler looked accurate again. Needs to check down faster and get rid of the ball.

Kizer held onto the ball too long looking to make something out of nothing. Liked when he made quick decisions. Even when he took off. Definitely he is the future of this franchise man I hope the kid learns as well as I think he does. He's the real deal (Still to come).

Until then don't know who I want to start....I think Kessler is the safer QB. Brock just doesn't seem to be able to finish the deal...all his good reads go down the drain when we get in close to score.

Defense looked great and you know we will look better.

I really don't like Carder at MLB...I'm sure he's smart but he just is a dollar short as he doesn't have the speed needed.
Schobert looked so so much better. Pretty sure he will secure that position soon. Carder (practice All Pro) Schobert a game day player.

What is with the lining up offsides from the D??? come on that is football 101. They never did regular season football where we see them break the huddle and get to the LOS. What could have been happening is the Center comes out with our D there and he takes the ball and then stretches his arm about 6 inches further to get ready to snap and makes our guys look offsides.
Wonder if that was going on???

93 got called for a hold on that play...they faked to the RB and he tackles him while the QB rolls left...they called a hold on that? Huh stupid Triplett that is called FOOTBALL!!!
flamingmad

Garret looked good. Shelton and Bryant looked a little funky out there.
The little I saw of Stribling I liked he just looked like he belonged.

Collins and Kirksey are BEASTS!

Boughty is going to excel in this Defense.

Safeties didn't real stand out positive nor negative.

RBs look sharp the new kid Dayes is a keeper.

DeValve was out there almost every play it seemed. Brock missed him on that long pass for a TD - Need to throw that with air underneath it let the WR run under the ball!!

Payton catching winning TD...he looked BIG TO ME???

Louis made some good catches. No drops saywhat

Key to our season will be our D

jmho Hey liked how we played! Lets start rolling this ball and don't let it stop.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
What is with the lining up offsides from the D??? come on that is football 101. They never did regular season football where we see them break the huddle and get to the LOS. What could have been happening is the Center comes out with our D there and he takes the ball and then stretches his arm about 6 inches further to get ready to snap and makes our guys look offsides.
Wonder if that was going on???

Yes, that's exactly what was going on.

The refs also cost us on a bad call on the 2PT conversion and a field goal later on in the game and the "hold" you mentioned.

I know it's preseason but I'm quite sick of the refs always costing the Browns points. I mean, I'm sure it's gotta be for other teams too, but man it feels like we get it worse than others lol

D
Legend
Legend
D
May as well post this over here also ....

They couldn't have waited til our game was over to announce Zeke's suspension ... *LOL* .. they cut away right after the 1 yard TD ... now i gotta wait til like Wed. To see the rest of the 4th ...

- the announcers SUCKED ... they should have had their cheerleading outfits on ... *L*

- LOVED the team speed on D ... MUCH MUCH IMPROVED as it should be ...

- Did Peppers play? ...

- Thought we'd hear MG's name more ... how long did he play? ...

- they said Williams only has 16 of 46 packages in ... wonder how much of his D we'll get put in and how affective we'll be ...

Excited to see the D more ...

- BO was BO .. not impressed ... he is our best option right now .. MY WORST FEAR ... one thing he didn't do last night was force it much or make horrible decisions ... he threw into coverage a few times .. but it wasn't as bad as last year ...

- CK does not appear to have improved one iota ... he may have actually - regressed ... thumbsdown ...

- DK played pretty much like i expected ... the reaction is pretty much what i expected ... *L* ...

He by far has the most upside ... we always knew that ... i hope Hue don't rush him ... he needs to sit and learn ... work on his mechanics ... don't be wowed by his physical skills and rush him ...

- not happy with Erving or Coleman .. i really hope the plan isn't for Erving to take over for Joe .. *LOL* ...

- Louis actually caught the ball ... thats improvement for him ...

- lazy play by Britt on what should have been a TD ...

- underwhelmed with the OL run blocking ... 6 carries for 15 yards ... PLEASE ...

- Hue has a weapon with Duke ... nice to see him being utilized ....

Glad we won for Hue's sake ... hate to see him melting down this early in the PRE-season ... *L* ...

Lets see what game two brings ... Pitt can't get here soon enough ...

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I saw a defensive coordinator make the right adjustments when the game was on the line.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Negatives
I saw Brock overthrow as only brock can do. I found a football in my back yard, hey brock did u lose something.

I saw Mr Safety Kessler throw it out of bounds to end the half instead of taking a shot. I bet he wears his seat belt when he sits in his recliner.

I saw Kizer take to much time looking for the homerun instead of settling for moving the chains.

Cam false start and a hold first two plays and got put on his ass twice. Glad he is back to his natural position. he will be next week, on the bench.

Tank is still one of the great practice players. got caught in traffic when no one was there but him and he turned a 5 yard loss into a 20 yard run.

Britt didnt look like he wanted to be out there. Kenny Bowe is gonna have to step it up.

Peppers fair caught a ball with no one within 25 yards of him lol No more hanging out with Kessler

I saw Duke lined up in the slot. Wait that wasnt a negative just a poke at those that were poking those infavor of Duke to the slot. Guess we wont have to cry because he isnt being used as a receiver. Darn, needed a good cry lol.

Desmond Bryant could be this years Paul Kruger.

Telfar dont do it. umm just no.

Positives
Duke was in the slot, hell yea lol

Nate Orchard and Coley were playing angry.

Kizer stood in there took a forearm to the face and nailed a 60 yard bomb. Great job refs another call u didnt get right. Tough as nails QB that wants to stretch the field. Flacco him.

Schobert was a different player. Mike competition is over.

Brock damn near beat the ball to the QBs paws he got off the snap so damn quick, and kinda throw Barnes at the QB lol.

Coleman showing some toughness. When the fan yelled out they dropped he wasnt meaning footballs.

Louis Caught the football with his hands.

Dayes was about as elusive as a Browns win in 2016.

Overall speed just looked dramatically improved on defense.

Boddy was beasting. Should have been defensive mvp of this one.

Seth got open a few times. If someone can take some pressure out of the middle of the field, huge year for Devalve.

Final view
its the first preseason game against a bad Saints defense and an offense that rested Drew. its also a much needed win even if preseason.

I am glad our schedule gives us 11 days before next preseason game. Lots of things to work on especailly getting Kizer more reps. he needs all the reps he can get.

Should be a good test against the Giants and Bucs the next 2 games.

Legend
Legend
Erving is still here. Looked ugly against later strings folks. Just awful IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think Brock will be okay. He didn't get any help from the OL or the WR. It was the first game so I hope he improves. Maybe we can ween in Kizer and move him along slowly?

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
P
Legend
Legend
P
I saw a Defense with an attitude and a rookie QB with real NFL potential ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I saw some obvious improvement in our D. It appears it will be a more swarming defense that attacks the ball.

I saw an O that still lacks identity without a clear cut leader at the QB position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I saw a lot more energy and enthusiasm from the defense.. much better tackling effort... but in the end, we kept a Saints team without Brees in check.. so I'm trying to remain calm on that.. but it looks like progress is being made.

On O, I was wondering if Brock is just that inaccurate or if he and the WR were not on the same page a few times.. several throws so bad I was hoping it had to be a misread.. I actually thought Kesler looked better, he did throw the ball down the field a couple times into tighter windows.. Kizer has all of the tools and now that I've seen him for a minute, I hope he doesn't have to play at least the first half of the season... he needs to improve his footwork on shorter passes and his understanding of the offense to throw with anticipation... two things that are hard to learn on the field and would just cause him to reinforce bad habits.

I hope Gonzalez can kick it straight, if he can, we might have something there.

The OL struggled at times but overall didn't do bad considering they were without JT and this is their first live action together for about 3 of them...

Between Crow, Duke, and Dayes, it's going to be interesting to see how the touches get divided up as the season progresses and who will be the odd man out...

yebat' Putin
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
point 1
thank you for posting this.
good wide recievers seems there maybe some hope there.
the d no safeties name called.
Bad the right tackles they are going to get are qbs killed.
Qbs they played excellent against a bunch of grocery store clerks

Legend
Legend
Defense got pressure, forgot how much I liked it, sacks and such.
I found some of the QB play interesting. Kizer surprised me. Osweiler seemed comfortable. We are still apparently needing a RT.
kessler didn't help himself much IMO. I would list him as a 3.

Overall, I was pleased with the effort. Seems we have stepped it up a notch or two from last year. I remind myself that about half these folks are leaving.

I love winning!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
How good is Gonzalez? I was impressed, don't know him.
Little help?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
How good is Gonzalez? I was impressed, don't know him.
Little help?

He won the Lou Groza Award in 2016 for being the best kicker in college football.

Also, 75% of his kicks went for touchbacks the least two seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/zane-gonzalez?id=2558178

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Got a chance to watch the game ( finally ) Shelton and Des had a very bad night .. Tank need to go back to special teams .Pre season game's two and three should be entertaining ( for a change ). The Young talent on the roster at this point are showing their hunger ..

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Shelton is a bit over rated
Rarely does he create negative plays for the offense.
I cannot think of game in 2 years that he's totally dominated

Legend
Legend
I didnt notice Bryant much, except for the GASHING hole that was his fault on the first drive

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we feel RT is still a problem by the end of pre-season we may be able to get a decent one after cuts.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
If we feel RT is still a problem by the end of pre-season we may be able to get a decent one after cuts.

I think Coleman will be fine ... JMHO thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I didnt notice Bryant much, except for the GASHING hole that was his fault on the first drive

For such a highly touted DLine, it was absolutely CRAPTASTIC in the first quarter.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

For such a highly touted DLine, it was absolutely CRAPTASTIC in the first quarter.
the first few run plays were pretty bad ... or, normal for us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
They were bad even for the 2017 Browns.

Browns is the Browns

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
I hope your right and i have not given up hope on them.
But they can not even hold right hence my pessimism

Legend
Legend
I think Shelton needs time to adjust back to a 4-3 DT mentality. All I ever see him do is holding blocks, although he does get double teamed quite a bit (from what I remember in the game).

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Ummmm. . . . We script that apparently. We don't seem to be ready for the first defensive series, or at least not all of us.

Hope that it changes, neh?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A week and a day later, I wanted to point out something I thought was promising if not significant. I've been a Browns fan for a long time and I can't remember a preseason game where so many guys down the depth chart played as effectively as these guys did last week. Some of the receivers beyond last year's draft picks made plays. Specifically Mullaney, Boyce, Hall and Leslie. The defense had a lot of guys flash, Burgess, Flemming, Hoilmes, and Alexander come to mind. I'm not saying these guys all deserve to make the 53. I am saying they are pushing guys ahead of them on the depth chart. That's good for the overall development of the team.

It will be fun to see if this continues these week.

Legend
Legend
The thing I noticed as the game went on... good things began to happen for us.

While that is itself kinda rare, what is even more rare is that we weren't lucking into those things. The guys out there were creating good plays... that's a big change from anything I've seen in a long, long time.

I'm looking forward to this next game to see if it keeps going.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
Not trying to rain on your parade ... u guys both made legite points ...

This week were going to be playing a pretty good NFL D as opposed to ... well I'm not sure how to categorize the Aints D ... *L* ...

U may want to temper expectations some and not get to down if things are a lot rougher for us ...

Although our D is going to be legite IMO ... but i gues a Breesless Aints team isn't a very good gage of that either ...

And last week on O we didn't do diddly until the scrubs came in at halftime ...

Man .. PRE-SEASON SUCKS for evaluating things ... *L* ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
well I'm not sure how to categorize the Aints D

You say that as if we weren't the absolute worst team in the league last year, a team that couldn't look even marginal against most team's second units, or something.

I have no expectations of us and our D, at all - expect that I'm betting that we'll still have a really bad record and be picking Top 5. Anything above that is bonus material wink

Browns is the Browns

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by Prpl:

Quote:
...expect that I'm betting that we'll still have a really bad record and be picking Top 5...

Now you just slow down Cisco.

There have been many inexplicable team season results in the NFL.

Inexplicable before the season. Explicable afterwards.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
j/c...
Thank you for the participation on this thread.

Good job dawgs.

One thing, Preseason games are not like the regular season that is for sure. So you can't get too gaga or upset at certain things but overall you can see the CHARACTER of this team changing.

For me that is the most important feature. I would like to see that grow, I would like to see the players on the O get more comfortable with it and own IT!

I love the talent we got on the D!! Young talent but talent never the less.
Collins, Haden, Kirksey, Garret, Peppers, Ogbah...and more.
For me I am looking forward to watch them all communicate and get familiar with each other, trust each other and be disciplined! I see more speed overall on the D and better tackling. Well off to game #2!

Last edited by eotab; 08/21/17 09:45 AM.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
enjoy EO ... talk to you in the next thread

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 20 Saints 14 What I saw preseason Game 1

Link Copied to Clipboard