OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Family taking trip to Chicago and see the browns over Christmas

What are must sees or places to eatt

Especially the best pizza and beer or do my son asks

Thanks

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
texaslostdawg #1300217 08/18/17 07:00 AM
Legend
Legend
Need tickets? I have a pair I probably won't use.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
texaslostdawg #1300220 08/18/17 07:08 AM
Legend
Legend
Grant park, Michigan ave, Navy Pier, Willis Tower, Hancock bar, natural history museum, etc.

Food? I can go all day. Pizzeria Uno, right off Michigan Ave. might be the most famous and the longest wait. Lou Malnati's is super famous too and there are many to choose from. Heck, I live about 500 feet from one in the burbs. My personal favorite is Pequad's. if you need more, again, I can keep going.

If you need Mexican, sushi, German, Italian, burgers, gluten free, hole-in-the-wall burrito place...I got you covered. I lived downtown for 17 years (but I just moved to the burbs a few weeks ago).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Punchsmack #1300235 08/18/17 07:45 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
We do. But probably three. Still if I can get one close that would work too

#gmstrong

texaslostdawg #1300307 08/18/17 10:26 AM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Hey tex,

I'm hoping to make a trip to Chicago maybe spring 2018. I have a sister in Palatine (A far northwest suburb).

Into O'Hara and Uber everywhere.

One of the towns I'd like to visit is Woodstock, IL.

It's where all the outdoor town filming was done for the movie Groundhog Day.

Maybe eat at the Tick Tock Diner.

texaslostdawg #1300336 08/18/17 11:09 AM
Legend
Legend
natural history museum is very cool ... I'd recommend.

I also like ANY pizza I've tried from there

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
texaslostdawg #1300354 08/18/17 11:52 AM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
John G Shedd Aquarium. Absolutely beautiful.

[Linked Image]
Punchsmack #1300358 08/18/17 11:56 AM
J
Rookie
Rookie
J
Hi Tex,

Longtime reader, first time poster on here. Figured I could give you some tips about your trip.

I've lived in Chicago for the last 4 years, I'm originally from Akron. My parents visit 3 times a year and I've had multiple friends and family visit over the years, so here are my 2 cents:

1) Avoid the Willis Tower. Each time I've gone, its been a minimum of a 2 hour wait. Instead, I would suggest checking out the Hancock Tower. And you can kill two birds with one stone by getting drinks there on the 95th floor. Amazing views and a fraction of the wait. The Willis Tower skydeck is on the 103rd floor, so whats 8 floors difference when you're that high up?

2) As far as pizza goes, if you're a straight pepperoni and cheese fan (as I am), I would suggest Giordanos. People rave about Pequad's (as Punchsmack suggested) but I've never been. From my experience, people from Chicago love Lou Malnatis, while transplants love Giordanos. Can't say I'm a big fan of Pizzeria Uno. Giordanos has multiple locations, so that might be a little more convenient than Pequad's.

Other food suggestions: As Punchsmack said, there are too many to choose from. If you're going to be downtown, I would suggest trying somewhere in the River North area. Warning-- I would also suggest making reservations for dinner (OpenTable app is great for this) or going early, ESPECIALLY on weekends. Some places (like Giordanos) don't take reservations, so I would go to dinner on the early side (5:00 or 5:30). If you roll up to a restaurant downtown on a Friday/Saturday at 6:00 or 6:30 expect to have to wait a bit.

3) Things to do: Not sure if you're a big fan of museums (my family is), but I would definitely suggest checking out the Art Institute or the History Museum. The the Magnificent Mile on Michigan Ave is a must. Grant/Millennium Park are both awesome spots but might be pretty cold in the winter.

4) Beer/Bars: There are a ton of options. Revolution Brewery would be my suggestion if you (or your son) are into that. Franklin Room is a speakeasy with an extensive whiskey menu. One of my favorite places.
As far as skybars (my family favorite) I would suggest the 95th floor Signature Room at the Hancock, Cityscape bar in the Holiday Inn/Merchandise Mart (although a pain to find it) or theWit hotel.

Other Tips: I would suggest using uber as transportation, especially in the winter. If you're anything like my parents, they have no idea how to use the app though lol. Public transit is like 2.25 per person one way, plus 5 bucks for a ventra card. Ubering will save you time too. Also, dress warm!

Happy to help if you have any questions or need other suggestions!

texaslostdawg #1300359 08/18/17 11:59 AM
Legend
Legend
I even have a NY style pizzeria in Lincoln Park that's very good. Also, you ever eat a pizza baked in a bowl (aka Pizza Pot Pie)? See here... http://chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/

Me, I avoid tourist traps like the plague. So yeah, a lot of what I offered as far as sight seeing might not intrigue you, but they're what make a trip to Chicago for most people.

If you want to visit the oldest, or at least one of the oldest bars in the city, look into Green Door Tavern. I lived down the street from it for the past 13+ years. It survived the great Chicago fire and still has an operational speakeasy (newly renovated). They have a $4 shot wheel that's quite fun, just pray it doesn't land on Malort.

There's a picture of me on Google titled " Malort Face"

[Linked Image]

texaslostdawg #1300445 08/18/17 06:09 PM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Thanks all
We are taking notes and making a lists
Only thing we agree on so far is football. And the navy pier

#gmstrong

texaslostdawg #1300464 08/18/17 07:01 PM
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The Shedd aquarium is spectacular and it'll get you and your family out of the winter weather. Can't recommend it enough. Especially if you have kids. Though I enjoyed it as an adult.

[Linked Image]
texaslostdawg #1300524 08/18/17 10:52 PM
Legend
Legend
Navy Pier should be planned as a meal. There are so many great places to eat there. It used to be so crappy with lame T-shirt shops and poor food. It's really something great now.

[Linked Image]

PortlandDawg #1300573 08/19/17 09:08 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
My "KIDS" are 20 and 21 but they enjoy museums and things like that, so thanks.
its on the list

#gmstrong

texaslostdawg #1300577 08/19/17 09:23 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
what do you think abut the
intercontinental Chicago Hotel?

#gmstrong

texaslostdawg #1300580 08/19/17 09:30 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I was in Chicago for the first time a couple of months ago.

For me, I had to see the Jordan statue. If you're a basketball fan and you are going to be there, might as well. So head down to the United Center and at least get a picture with it.

We did Pequads and thought it was pretty good. Some locals sitting next to us said it was the best pizza in town. We picked it over Lou's and Giordanos because it had far less locations (I think 2 total) than those others so it seemed more authentic to us. The pizza was a mountain of a pizza cooked in a pan that must of been a hundred years old. The best part about the pizza is the cheese melts on the outside of the crust and gets really crispy. I could just eat that all day.

We headed down to Michigan Ave and walked up and down and did the shops and stuff. Nothing super exciting but seems like a must if you are going to be there. While there someone overheard us talking about finding a good place to get a Chicago dog and told us to head out of the city to Jimmys Red Hots. So we did. Can't say it was the best part of town or that we felt all that safe but the dogs were pretty good, especially with the peppers they put on them. The place was probably the most authentic thing we did there. You order your dog and it comes the way it comes...I think it was mustard, onion, peppers. Don't ask for ketchup or I heard they won't serve you. They also give you like a pound of fries and wrap it all up in one wrapper.

For me, being a big movie guy and two of my all time favorite movies being Home Alone and Uncle Buck, we drove out to those homes and took some pics in front. Unfortunately the Home Alone house was under renovation and had a big fence in front of it but it was still cool to see. The Home Alone house and Uncle Buck house are less than 4 miles apart. The suburb area they are located in is very nice. We enjoyed just driving around there and checking out the houses and stuff.

texaslostdawg #1300592 08/19/17 11:03 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
If you're looking more on the expensive side for a steak, Chicago Cut always gets brought up. I've never been there, but I have talked to both people around here, and people who came here to visit that have been there and said it was outstanding...

I don't venture downtown too much. Try to stay away from Michigan when looking for food. There really isn't much over there, and a lot of it is not really a good representation of the food around here...

If you're up on the north side, check out Kuma's Korner. There are multiple locations now. They make huge burgers that are named after heavy metal bands, and there is always a horror movie on their tv's... Not for everyone, but the food is so good. The Kuma burger has fried egg on it, and it's the stuff of dreams...

We found a place called Cheesie's up near Wrigleyville. Kinda like Melt in Cleveland (not as good) but a nice little spot for a quick sandwich.

There's a really good little Mexican place up on the north side called La Fiesta Mexicana. We go there every once in a while, because there is a concert venue around the corner.

Great Italian places near Pilsen. You really can't go wrong with any of them in that little area.

Rishuz #1300594 08/19/17 11:07 AM
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

For me, being a big movie guy and two of my all time favorite movies being Home Alone and Uncle Buck, we drove out to those homes and took some pics in front. Unfortunately the Home Alone house was under renovation and had a big fence in front of it but it was still cool to see. The Home Alone house and Uncle Buck house are less than 4 miles apart. The suburb area they are located in is very nice. We enjoyed just driving around there and checking out the houses and stuff.

When I first moved out here, my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I went up to the northern suburbs. There are all kinds of John Hughes film locations in that area. Home Alone house, Uncle Buck house, the school's from Uncle Buck, Ferris Bueller.. We even saw Cameron's house, which was pretty cool.

I actually play hockey at a rink about a mile from Glenbrook North. That's where Ferris Bueller's high school is, the football field was also used as the credits scene in The Breakfast Club. It's also where Jason Kipnis went to high school.

It's a really really nice area. If I had the money, I'd live up there in a heartbeat.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Yeah, we noticed some other scenes from both movies as well just driving around.

If you're familiar with Uncle Buck when John Candy originally drives out to the house, he goes to the house across the street by mistake. We took a picture in front of that one as well. While we were doing this, the homeowner came home. She looked at us, smiled and laughed, and just went inside. They must get a lot of idiots like myself and my wife doing that. At least she was a good sport about it.

texaslostdawg #1300634 08/19/17 02:03 PM
Legend
Legend
Closest I ever got to Chicago was landing at the airport, when I had to go to Lombard for some computer training.

I landed at O'Hare, and tried like crazy to finds a cab. I was checking with every cab company about the cost to take me to my hotel, and got back everything from $150 and up. crazy

Then this guy walks in, with this thick NY type accent, yelling out "Hey, who needs a limo?" He looks at me and asks if I need a limo, and just for grins I asked him how much to Lombard. He said "$75". Before he could take a step, I said "sold!".

He drove like a maniac, and I legitimately feared for my life as he cut in, out, and all around traffic, but he got me to my hotel in one piece.

Anyway, I stayed at the LaQuinta in Lombard, and since my meals were paid for, I went to this steakhouse that was a few blocks from the hotel. It was pricey .... but I wasn't paying .... and the steak was so delicious I went back again the next day. (on the company tab, of course) wink

I wish I could remember the name of the restaurant, but it's been a couple of decades, and the memory isn't what it once was. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
texaslostdawg #1301041 08/20/17 09:04 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Chicago Museum of Art.....as good as it gets it art if a liking

Pizza Uno....That's it for a pizza

Gibson's...the best steak house in the country IMO.

Buy a pass for the double decker bus tour. Sit back, take the whole loop, then decide where to get off on the second time around. A bus comes by about every 20 minutes. They loop 3-4 buses over maybe 20 stops. Jump on and off at will. A great way to see the city and get some of the history.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
texaslostdawg #1301055 08/20/17 09:54 PM
Legend
Legend
No double decker buses for me. It's possible to get in a car accident AND fall down the steps at the same time. Bad day right there.

[Linked Image]

texaslostdawg #1301094 08/21/17 09:21 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Looking st the hop on hop off bus thing

#gmstrong

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Chi town

Link Copied to Clipboard