Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Ammo #1304890 08/27/17 08:59 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Okay.......I'm lying. Those video don't exist rolleyes

And I didn't even mention Kizer.

I keep saying this. I am NOT trying to start a qb controversy. I will roll w/what Hue says, but when people say things that aren't true, I will correct them. If you really want me to post the videos again, I will.

Well, maybe not............because the same folks who said Osweiler couldn't throw the deep ball before I posted the videos, stopped for awhile, but are saying it again.

It's all about agendas, rather than the pursuit of truth.

DiamDawg #1304903 08/27/17 09:20 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
It's not really that.

It's that I've seen enough from Osweiler to know I don't want to go into the season with him as the starter, and I've seen enough from Kizer to determine that I do want to go into the season with him starting. Rookie growing pains and all.

Ammo #1304911 08/27/17 09:31 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not even arguing that. I'm just saying that there is visual proof that Brock throws a very good deep ball. Sheesh!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am not even arguing that. I'm just saying that there is visual proof that Brock throws a very good deep ball. Sheesh!

where's that proof this preseason?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Ammo #1304921 08/27/17 09:40 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Here are the numbers on Osweiler's deep ball accuracy on passes charted for 16+ air yards or 20+ air yards from 2016-17 season.

The link provides the stats for each QB with at least 8+ starts for anyone interested.

Brock Osweiler (Houston Texans, now Cleveland Browns???)

Accuracy Percentage On 16+ Throws: 27.6% (31st)
Accuracy Percentage on 20+ Throws: 25.8% (31st)

If you thought Blake Bortles was awful in 2016, Brock Osweiler won’t change your mind, but he’ll be just as miserable to sit through.

It’s hard to imagine in retrospect any team spending $72M on a quarterback that played 8 games in four seasons prior, but then again, this was baffling back when it happened a year ago.

Osweiler posted the worst accuracy percentage for passes of both 16+ air yards and 20+ air yards. When you’re less accurate than a quarterback that can’t throw the football with an actual motion, that’s saying a lot. While he didn’t miss his receivers as hilariously bad as Bortles, there were more inaccurate throws from Osweiler, which is freaking awesome.

This is a quarterback so bad he managed to make Deandre Hopkins irrelevant. This is a quarterback so bad the Cleveland Browns traded for him just so they could get the 2nd round pick that came with him. You have to wonder what the Texans were thinking when they signed Osweiler.

The best part about going through his deep ball is being able to experience the same amount of pain Texans fans had just watching Osweiler play. Osweiler did not qualify for the 2015-16 Deep Ball Project because he did not start a minimum of 8 games the DBP requires. After sitting through whatever the hell he was doing last year, I am eternally grateful I didn’t chart him for 2015-16.

FINAL GRADE: F-

Link

Milk Man #1304928 08/27/17 09:54 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Great article. Professionally written.

Of course, this did not happen:

Nor this:

Want more?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Vers,

Lying....truth. You didn't lie, you showed your proof, maybe question as MM stated is How often does he connect...he can, but do you rely on it. The Texans couldn't get him out of town fast enough.

Kizer's pass to Coleman was brilliant, can't see BO doing what he pulled off.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
hitt #1304933 08/27/17 10:15 PM
Legend
Legend
Every QB for the Browns has made some preseason throws that if you put together a little highlight reel you could make look good.. each has also looked bad at times.. Osweiller has enough years under his belt that the bad should not be as common as it has been.. that is why I would guess they went with Kizer.

yebat' Putin
DiamDawg #1304934 08/27/17 10:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
yea u can post the other 5 passes he completed last year lol

Swish #1304943 08/27/17 10:42 PM
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Originally Posted By: Swish

where's that proof this preseason?

...probably won't be any in the regular season either.

DiamDawg #1304946 08/27/17 11:49 PM
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/05/deshone-kizer-and-diverging-traits/

Good read on Kizer.

Cliffs:

- His natural footwork is incredible for a young prospect. (we've seen it this preseason)

- He is wild in his throws at all levels of the field. IIRC, this is something that the coaching staff has been working hard with him on.

In the preseason, I haven't seen the wild inaccuracy that is stated in this article. He had a few head scratchers against TB but I only saw "fatal" inaccuracy on one or two throws. It will be important that his mechanics stay sound and become full blown muscle memory as the season goes on.

Maybe I'm just being an optimist, and I'm no QB guru (I've been wrong WAY more than I've been right), but I almost like the fact that his footwork doesn't have to be coached as much as it is throwing mechanics. I feel like bad footwork leads to poor throwing mechanics. Also, when the pressure is on in the pocket, when we talk about mechanics breaking down, footwork seems to be the first thing to go. So, perhaps he will be less likely to have a throwing mechanics breakdown if his footwork is still strong.

Just thinking out loud.

Ammo #1304954 08/28/17 12:33 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Mourgrym #1304965 08/28/17 04:07 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
thanks i was looking for this

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
DiamDawg #1304973 08/28/17 06:09 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I understand and agree with the words of caution about starting Kizer too early and the concerns about his long-term development. The parallel that has been mentioned is Blake Bortles.

But as others have mentioned, there are other examples of first year QBs starting before they should have and turning out good. The parallel I wish to make is Joe Flacco. The reason I bring him up is that Hue Jackson is the common denominator, he was Flacco's QB coach in his first 2 seasons.

While the possibility that starting Kizer too early in his career could result in irreparable damage, there is also the possibility that good coaching and game-planning could mitigate the danger and in-fact accelerate his development. While we have seen that Hue might not be able accurately read a QB's potential (Kessler/Griffin), there is plenty of evidence that he can develop a QB's potential (Flacco/Dalton/Campbell).

As long as Hue can avoid giving Kizer too much too soon, protect his flaws while working them out, and develop what looks like Kizer's very high potential, I think things can (no guarantees) work out very well in this situation.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
DeShone Kizer officially named Browns' starter: 'This is not just for the moment,' says Hue Jackson

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

EveDawg #1304995 08/28/17 08:13 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Kizer is exciting to watch. Our WR/TE better show up though, or its going to get ugly fast. Because they will double team Coleman. Then what.

Yes, I was really thinking David would be so far ahead than what he seems to be. His biggest play thus far is a screen pass. Really hope he can step it up and prove he was worth the wheeling and dealing to get back into the first round and take him. We need him to do that.

Ammo #1304997 08/28/17 08:16 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Ammo
http://presnapreads.com/2017/04/05/deshone-kizer-and-diverging-traits/

Good read on Kizer.

Cliffs:

- His natural footwork is incredible for a young prospect. (we've seen it this preseason)

- He is wild in his throws at all levels of the field. IIRC, this is something that the coaching staff has been working hard with him on.

In the preseason, I haven't seen the wild inaccuracy that is stated in this article. He had a few head scratchers against TB but I only saw "fatal" inaccuracy on one or two throws. It will be important that his mechanics stay sound and become full blown muscle memory as the season goes on.

Maybe I'm just being an optimist, and I'm no QB guru (I've been wrong WAY more than I've been right), but I almost like the fact that his footwork doesn't have to be coached as much as it is throwing mechanics. I feel like bad footwork leads to poor throwing mechanics. Also, when the pressure is on in the pocket, when we talk about mechanics breaking down, footwork seems to be the first thing to go. So, perhaps he will be less likely to have a throwing mechanics breakdown if his footwork is still strong.

Just thinking out loud.

Him having great footwork is really inaccurate, its the biggest reason behind his inaccuracy, he doesn't plant well and drive the ball, which causes it to sail quite a bit

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
3rd_and_20 #1304998 08/28/17 08:17 AM
Legend
Legend
3-0! No brainier. Choosing the QB that's proving to be the best in camp. Great QB coaches know how this works! Congrats Shoney! That's my nickname for Deshone Kiser moving forward. Not sure if anyone else has used that nickname but I'm sticking with it here.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
3rd_and_20 #1304999 08/28/17 08:20 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
"This is not just for the moment,'' Jackson said on a conference call Sunday to officially announce Kizer as his starter. "We're going to get with DeShone, (and) ride with him through it all.''

Then:

Quote:
"It's not over with yet,'' he said. "This guy has been named the starter, but he still has to earn the right to be the starting quarterback for this team week in and week out.

brownie

DiamDawg #1305001 08/28/17 08:27 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Here's my two cents...

Kizer is the starter...

Is he ready for it? No.

Is he better than Cody? Yes.

Is he better than Brock? Yes.

Is he better than Hogan? Yes.

Did he at least have to earn it? Yes.

I say, given the already ugly situation - it's probably the best one. Like the kid himself says, every rep, every snap is a learning experience. Brock is what he is, Kevin isn't starter material and Cody has no guts, no arm and mentally I think he's broken down like Hoyer. Like that high hand off, just completely uncalled for.

I'm rooting for him. He has shown some pocket presence, ability to scramble when needed, a solid arm and etc. He needs to show he can tighten up his strides and fix his technique and footwork. Leadtheway said it best a few post above.

How he dissects defense, real defenses in the regular season, is also yet to be seen.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
"This is not just for the moment,'' Jackson said on a conference call Sunday to officially announce Kizer as his starter. "We're going to get with DeShone, (and) ride with him through it all.''

Then:

Quote:
"It's not over with yet,'' he said. "This guy has been named the starter, but he still has to earn the right to be the starting quarterback for this team week in and week out.

brownie

Just like any Rookie QB in the NFL has had to deal with. Stop trying so hard to make it negative or set your agenda for a "I told you so" scenario . Shoney is the first Rookie QB I can remember since the return that has stepped up big in preseason and has shown he may be the Franchise. Why can't you just sit back enjoy and stop trying so hard to be right about the unknown?

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Vers - I think that Brock can throw a nice deep ball. Unfortunately it seems as if he has contracted a case of Kessler Syndrome.

It seems as if he has shown that tendency in past seasons but that is just a subjective observation from the little bit that I have seen of him in Denver. I watched almost none of him in Houston.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
DiamDawg #1305010 08/28/17 09:17 AM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
J/c

Its gonna be an interesting ride this season.

Hue has been part of offenses/passing games that helped young QBs have production before.

I expect DK to be tightly managed through playcalling/gameplan. Run the ball, keep favorable down and distances. Conservative playcalling, don't put it all on his shoulders. Movement passes. Play-action. Attack deep. Sprinkle some zone read/rpo. Screens. Feature short passes to Duke. Clear defined reads. Lots of 'stop' routes e.g hitches, comebacks, out routes. Short motion routes slants/skinny posts. Working the way up to more difficult movement routes drags to seams, corners, posts.

DiamDawg #1305019 08/28/17 09:54 AM
Legend
Legend
At least with Kizer being named the starter there is an excitement in the air. With Brock or Cody? Not so much... Especially Cody. Just a bore... An accurate bore, but still a bore.

Let's just all hope Kizer plays well and can stay healthy.

Dawg_LB #1305046 08/28/17 11:28 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I pretty much agree with your assessment.

I also do not think that Kizer is ready, but it is not my choice. No one of importance asked me for my opinion.

I take solace in the fact that Kesler is not the stater.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
DiamDawg #1305053 08/28/17 11:40 AM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
J/C of what I've seen of Kizer, kid's a project.

As long as he has an open mind and is willing to work to get better. I think they're doing the right thing letting him start.

He has looked hot and has looked cold at times. Some passes that have hit the mark exactly but totally some passes that have sailed over the heads of receivers as well. As long as they can mitigate the bad throws he has a chance. That said, in the Preseason so far the recievers have also let him down too. This is going to be a rollercoaster ride of a season.

I think we're going to see a ton of flashes of brilliance coupled with bonehead plays and headscratchers.

This year is supposed to be another building year. So hopefully Kizer also uses that to approach this year similarly.

Swish #1305054 08/28/17 11:41 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Game is on 1pm here I'll finally see it and of course Kizer and QB crew. Got visitor so won't see it till tonight.

I know stats were not good. But hear good things and bad...hard to tell...lol laugh

As stated my negative on starting a rookie is that they tend to drift back into bad habits as things get a little helter skelter for them. If that is the case we have to be careful. I think if Kessler or Brock could have stepped up we would not be thinking about it. I just hope the kid progresses and not digress. Maybe one step back and two forward kind of thing...I'm all for it.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
DiamDawg #1305055 08/28/17 11:45 AM
Legend
Legend
It is what it is.

I feel that Kizer is the best QB on our roster, but I also feel that he just simply is not ready, and I feel that he has clearly shown that each time he has been out there thus far.

When ya think about it, that's a pretty crappy conundrum ... and speaks rather poorly of our Quarterbacks Room.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg_LB #1305063 08/28/17 12:26 PM
2nd String
2nd String
......."I think he's broken down like Hoyer".......

Did you see Hoyer 49r's vs Vikings? Far from broken down

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

Then:

Quote:

brownie

Just like any Rookie QB in the NFL has had to deal with. Stop trying so hard to make it negative or set your agenda for a "I told you so" scenario . Shoney is the first Rookie QB I can remember since the return that has stepped up big in preseason and has shown he may be the Franchise. Why can't you just sit back enjoy and stop trying so hard to be right about the unknown?

What are you babbling about?

I thought it was funny because the two statements contradict one another. And I have no idea what you mean when you say dumb stuff about "I told you so."

I haven't even offered any predictions on how this will play out. I don't know how it will play out. Is that clear enough for you.

Oh, and stick to "Drip.........Drip........Drip." They are much more intellectual than posts like the above.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
No one of importance asked me for my opinion.

Okay, I'll ask: What's your opinion? cool

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kizer may not be ready but he has a chance to beat the Steelers deep. I have always maintained you cant dink and dunk against their scheme. Sooner or later you pay for it and its going the other way.

You beat them by throwing over the top. We just have to protect long enough to get deep. If their rush doesnt get there, you make them pay horribly for it. Force them to play their zone deeper and then u can run on them.

Legend
Legend
Funny?

Hue made up his mind and made the call after week 3 in preseason and stated "not just the moment" but is smart enough to send the message to Shoney "it's still earned week to week." Yeah funny. Keen sense of humor there.

– Jackie Robinson
Mourgrym #1305110 08/28/17 01:41 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Kizer may not be ready but he has a chance to beat the Steelers deep. I have always maintained you cant dink and dunk against their scheme. Sooner or later you pay for it and its going the other way.

You beat them by throwing over the top. We just have to protect long enough to get deep. If their rush doesnt get there, you make them pay horribly for it. Force them to play their zone deeper and then u can run on them.

He deserves to be the starter hands down. The other QB's including Brock aren't even close to his talent level and it has shown.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
No one of importance asked me for my opinion.

Okay, I'll ask: What's your opinion? cool

LOL, I wondered if anyone would take the bait. Well played!

My opinion?

I would start Brock, let Kizer sit and learn.

I would see if there was any interest elsewhere for Kesler, maybe someone doesn't mind a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" approach to their passing game. If not, I seriously consider keeping Hogan and cutting Cody.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah play the guy nobody wanted and make the kid that moves the ball downfield into scoring position consistently..... sit.

– Jackie Robinson
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I would keep KH over CK at this point. I really believe that Kevin is the better QB especially after what we've seen in preseason. JMO

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: OrangeHelmet

I think when the media and fans started to pressure him with losing the starter role, he had a ton of mental breakdowns on the field which lead to him getting benched. He went from playing good to having one mistake that was a chain reaction of mistakes. Even in his pressers, he sounded and body language appeared of someone who lost some confidence.

But no, I didn't watch his play. We all know he's capable of making some competitions and etc.

DiamDawg #1305159 08/28/17 03:32 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
You rarely see coaches saying stuff like this:

Quote:
Browns HC Hue Jackson said he's absolutely prepared to ride it out with DeShone Kizer even if it doesn't translate to many wins right away

https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/902248788949176324

Quote:
Hue on DeShone Kizer: "I think this guy has the right stuff and if I'm worth my salt as a coach, I'll get it out of him."

https://twitter.com/maksimuspatrick/status/902248968205324288

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: OrangeHelmet

Hoyer looked pretty good. I still think he's a decent QB. Kyle will maximise what he can do. I wish him the best.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kizer it is

Link Copied to Clipboard