Print Thread
#1307031 09/01/17 12:24 AM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I made this thread just to talk about how Richard Mullaney nearly killed that guy on the long Devalve catch. Holy crap.

It's a little after the three minute mark in this video:

Link

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Browns 3rd string defense gave up 1 touchdown in the 4th quarter of the first preseason game. Other than that, no TDs in 4 games, and none by the 1st stringers. It's preseason, and not necessarily a true gauge, but it looks like we have a good defense this year.

Kevin Hogan may be the best QB (at this point in time). We haven't seen him against the 1s, and he doesn't have the arm talent of Kizer. But if he can play close to this good against 1st stingers, he can amply hold the fort if Kizer falters. He's clearly better than Kessler and I think they are both better than BO.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Much-maligned WR group looked good.

The Defense is going to be fun to watch.

The DL all looked good, tough cuts to come there.

TE's also had a good game.

Coleman had some struggles, better now then come the regular season.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I like this Schult kid. (DE) He has a great motor, and was really disruptive.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I like this Schult kid. (DE) He has a great motor, and was really disruptive.

He probably gets cut with the hope of putting him on the practice squad.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'd guess Zane Gonalez will be our kicker, even though it was a close call

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
He certainly carried the water to help himself last night! Less skilled, but he did get after the defense. I had to upgrade my opinion of him. I was pleasantly surprised by him, and felt further letdown by Kessler. No Osweler was a gift all its own.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Missed that play..

But anyway, postgame thoughts.

Kessler has a ton of Heart and Grit and he's a fighter. Gotta love him for that.

Hogan, at this point, he's got everything that Kessler has, but he also has the more physical talent. He's gotta be#2 if Oswieler gets cut or traded. And I think one of those things will happen.

Kessler hangs around as #3 unless they get a better choice from another teams cut list. Let me say this again, I love how Kessler has approached everything. He's a tough kid and I wish nothing but the best for him.

Receivers,,,, Ok, yell and scream about not having any all you want, but we do have a few. Leslie comes to mind right away. Higgans is another. We have some talent there. Just needs an opportunity to play and grow. And with Kizer doing the same, we can all expect lots of growing pains, but it could be very entertaining. another year or two down the line, a few additions along the way, we could have a contender.

On to the D,, Geez, they can play. The meeting in the end zone on top of Chicago's QB was a thing of beauty.

The bottom of the roster on D has allowed 1 TD all preseason. The top end of the roster has allowed virtually nothing. I understand it's not a perfect measure, but damn, That's pretty good.

For what it's worth, I'm looking at this season as a turning point. Hopefully, I'm right.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I do like the hunger that our defense has been playing with, even the backups. I do feel like the culture and attitude is changing, whether it's coaching, an infusion of talent, etc.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Offensively, the first half was painful to listen to (audio stream). Seemed we were moving but, kept stalling. Eventually getting in. Second half everything seemed to click for Hogan and the guys in there. Our defense were playing lights out all night. That must have been really hard to watch if you were a Bears Fan.

What the hell was Fox doing putting Trubisky back out there after the Ogunjobi hit on Shaw and he left for protocol and then again when Shaw was obliterated and hurt his leg? Was he that determined to risk his franchise guy after that s@4% show to score in the dying seconds?

Glad we made it difficult for Trubisky. I think defensively we will be fun. Bit worried about offense but, lets see who we claim on the waiver wire.

At this point I wont be surprised if Hogan moves to 2nd string. WR cuts I expect Payton, Mullaney and maybe even Higgins to be gone. I think Hall, Leslie and Louis to stay.

Legend
Legend
I did not get to see the game at all last night, but looking at the box score and after watching that highlight video, I have to wonder if Chicago even wanted to be out there. Wow!

Yeah, it's 4th preseason game and it's a bunch of guys who will be unemployed tomorrow versus a bunch of guys that will be unemployed tomorrow, but still - that is some entertaining football right there...... and the Bears just might be an incredibly terrible team this year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I think it's safe to say we didn't see their best and they didn't see ours.

It was entertaining to watch. Some fun stuff to see.

Purp, if you get a chance to watch it on Saturday at 1pm on NFLN, do it, There were quite a few good plays, Chief among them was the Defensive meeting in end Zone while sitting on the Chicago QB.. Yikes that kid got hammered.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We've got a bunch of young players with potential. They need to improve their consistency. Leslie has the great one hander, then drops the easy one. Louis has a couple nice runs after the catch, but then lets one sail right through his hands. They need to do a better job of just making the play before trying to make it a great play.

I think Kizer's chemistry with his receivers might be more important than our "talent" in that room at this point. Anyone we'd acquire would take some time to learn the offense and get comfortable. Most would likely be one-year/short term rentals. I don't think our WRs are great right now, but I think they could round into shape fairly nicely. If we were looking like probable contenders, I'd be for getting the best receiver possible right now, but I think we're still better off playing the long game at this point. There are things to like about the guys we've got. Can they get consistent is the key?

Burgess looked pretty good to me. He was flying around and looked stout at the point of attack from what I've noticed the first couple go throughs.

Schult might not have made our team, but he probably played himself onto someone's roster. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in Dallas. Hope he makes it to our practice squad, but it's looking less likely. Orchard's lack of availability might make him a roster casualty if they think enough of the kid.

I like Holmes, but his lack of bend is pretty noticeable after watching so much of Myles. Think we still have a spot for him, but he's definitely a different kind of DE. Great rip, solid bull, an inside move, and lots of motor.

Not sure what to make of our CB situation after the top 3 who rested. No one really distinguished themselves to me. I'd probably go with Burley and Hillary as the next two, but I'm not sure they are much better than Bademosi was. Our secondary could be in for a rude awakening come Pittsburgh.

S.Coleman needs to clean up the penalties. I can see why he played. Our OT depth leaves something to be desired.

Our DT play was up and down. They all had good plays, followed by not so good plays, followed by good plays. I'm guessing the youth sticks, which again makes sense in the young, building team place we find ourselves in.

4 wins in a row. Only the preseason, but a good sign. Has the culture really changed, or is the ball just bouncing our way? Need to see how they handle adversity in the real games.

I see momentum building for only 2 QBs on our roster. A lot of it is depth elsewhere. Brock's contract makes it hard for me to see us keep him after we let Haden go. Much like Haden I think BO is good enough to make the team, but I don't think they'll like paying a guy who won't see the field that much money. Kessler just doesn't seem to have the goods. The improved arm strength hasn't shown up. Hogan has shown enough, and has a very team-friendly contract. Seems the best "value" which is something the FO seems to be putting a lot of consideration towards.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
The game didn't get good until towards the end of the second quarter. After halftime? It was really fun to watch. Hogan looks really good.

Our defense has looked tough this whole preseason. Looking forward to regular season football.

Legend
Legend
Sounds like Hogan just beat out Brock and Kessler. We'll see. IMO we still need 3 QB's on the roster for insurance.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Hogan's improvement has been remarkable. He looks like QB2. Kessler had some really nice throws dropped. They are both better than BO.

It'll be difficult to cut Leslie, Hall or Bailey in my mind. I've never seen Payton or Higgins flash like those three. Bailey looks like a guy I would HATE if he were on the opposing team.

I cannot remember the last time a Browns OL created and maintained a pocket like they are doing here lately...same thing on our ability to execute a screen pass. Also remarkable.

Who would have thought that defensive players in an orange helmet could be such sure tacklers? That D has been fun to watch. Hopefully they can keep that up.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!

Telfer, Leslie, Bailey & Hall showed up. Amazing one handed grab by Leslie. Then stupid drop.

I really like Dayes.

Our D has been fierce right through the 3rd string. 159 total yards and 0 points allowed. I realize it's preseason, but the difference is amazing!

Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!

Telfer, Leslie, Bailey & Hall showed up. Amazing one handed grab by Leslie. Then stupid drop.

I really like Dayes.

Our D has been fierce right through the 3rd string. 159 total yards and 0 points allowed. I realize it's preseason, but the difference is amazing!

Hogan! Hogan! Hogan!

I really enjoy watching Dayes with the ball...running or catching. He's impressive.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I didn't watch but the highlights, but that one handed snag by Leslie was ballsy and great to see. He may have secured himself a roster spot, he made other nice snags it seemed.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I didn't watch but the highlights, but that one handed snag by Leslie was ballsy and great to see. He may have secured himself a roster spot, he made other nice snags it seemed.

Agreed! One of the best catches I've ever seen a Cleveland player make. Definitely the best since Braylon and without dropping 90% of the other passes thrown to him tongue Glad to see our guys finally using Stick Um like the rest of the league.

It's just preseason and WRs are crowded but he at least made the PS with that grab.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I try to temper my enthusiasm when it comes to the 4th pre-season games (especially late), but I thought that Hall should have made the team last year and that opinion is only reinforced this summer.

WR, I think we might keep 6, but that 6th guy might not be around long, if they see another on the waivers.

[Linked Image]

M
Legend
Legend
M

It was a great catch. He then followed it up with a drop that was a pretty bad one. Still, I agree....he should make the club.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

I really like this shirt!

Legend
Legend
I like it too.

I also like this one (click on below link to view):

https://www.homage.com/products/undefeated-preseason-champs

D
Legend
Legend
D
Preseason champs

rofl

Legend
Legend
Preseason champs

rofl

Don't diminish it with sarcasm! LMFAO

Legend
Legend
i literally was going to post about the shirts ... i might order a gray one

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

I was thinking the same thing, the one from the second link.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

I was thinking the same thing, the one from the second link.

yeah, it is a good shirt IMO!!

Legend
Legend
I smell an 8 and 8 season in our future.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
I smell an 8 and 8 season in our future.

2021? tongue

yebat' Putin
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back Browns 25 Bears 0 Postgame thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard