V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
Joe Haden opens up on why he signed with Steelers, what led to his release

Sporting News,Yahoo7 9 hours ago

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Joe Haden was only out of the AFC North for a few hours. After the Browns released the two-time Pro Bowler on Wednesday morning, the Steelers swooped in to sign Haden to a three-year, $27 million deal before most steel workers had clocked out for the day.

While Haden had several other suitors chasing his services, including the Raiders, Cowboys and Saints, joining the Steelers wasn't a difficult choice. He met the team ahead of its final preseason game against the Panthers, and everything seemed to fall into place.

"They were super interested in me," Haden said after the Steelers' 17-14 win over the Panthers on Thursday night at Bank of America Stadium. "I just felt like once I was free, I wanted to have a chance to be able to play in some meaningful games, you know what I'm saying?

"They don't really miss the playoffs, so I'm like, I just wanted to be a part of something where I could play in the playoffs."

IYER: Browns are still on right track

It didn't hurt that the Steelers employ a couple of Haden's former Florida teammates in offensive linemen Marcus Gilbert and Maurkice Pouncey, both members of the 2009 Gators team that finished 13-1 with its lone loss coming at the hands of national champion Alabama. Haden also has relationships established with head coach Mike Tomlin and star wideout Antonio Brown. And there's good reason those guys should want Haden in the secondary.

Steelers cornerbacks combined for just four interceptions last season. Haden had three picks alone in 13 games, and he has only been a shadow of his former self in recent years. Most analytical evaluations grade Haden as below average or poor at his position, but he is also finally healthy after dealing with concussion issues in 2015 and a groin injury which required surgery this past season.

Pittsburgh is willing to bet Haden at 100 percent is still capable of being a game-changer. The Steelers could desperately use one if they hope to get past the Patriots and reach the Super Bowl. Tom Brady is 10-2 in his career against the Steelers (including the playoffs), most recently carving up their zone schemes in the 2017 AFC championship game (32 of 42, 384 yards, three touchdowns, no interceptions). You aren't beating Brady without capable corners.

So, what can Haden bring to Pittsburgh after seven seasons in Cleveland? And what happens when Haden returns to face the Browns in Week 1? The 28-year-old covered that and a lot more with reporters Thursday.

On choosing to join the Steelers and interest from other teams: "Once I got released, my agent hit me up and just let me know the options that I had. There was a lot of teams that were interested, so that was nice. But we talked about Pittsburgh, the interest, how excited they were I was available. It wasn't too hard of a decision. We had Oakland, the Cowboys and New Orleans. And Miami. It just felt like a fit for me, man.

"Coach Tomlin, ever since the pro day when he came out to Florida and was talking to us, Pouncey, he worked us all out, it was cool. Then every time I played against the Steelers, I talked to coach Tomlin before the game, every time we play. Just the relationship, and they were super interested in me. I just felt like once I was free, I wanted to have a chance to be able to play in some meaningful games, you know what I'm saying? They don't really miss the playoffs, so I'm like, I just wanted to be a part of something where I could play in the playoffs."

MORE: Preseason lessons about Steelers

On the familiarity with the Steelers after playing them twice per season with the Browns: "Definitely. I have my guys, man. Marcus Gilbert and Pouncey, and then AB. These are some really, really cool dudes. I've met Ben (Roethlisberger) a couple times, probably like the Pro Bowls or whatever, just seeing him around. Just a good group of dudes, man, and I just felt like this was gonna be something special."

On if his release came as a surprise: "Yeah, I was definitely surprised. I was super ready. I was prepared to go into the season. I was training for it, and I was just ready to go. It definitely came out of the blue to me."

On what caused his release: "I think it was my contract. I think they wanted me to take — actually, I don't think, they wanted me to take a pay cut. And I wasn't trying to take a pay cut."

On which Steelers reached out to him once he signed: "Marcus Gilbert, then Pouncey, and then AB. All three of them hit me up like back-to-back-to-back."

On what the first game of the regular season against the Browns means: "Super excited. Our first game is gonna be in Cleveland, so it's gonna be special."

On if he expects a few passes to be thrown his way: "Oh, for sure. For sure. Oh, definitely. I was there with those guys. They've been working hard, working their tails off. I'm gonna be ready, because I know they are."

On his new jersey number with the Steelers: "I haven't gotten my number yet. We're still working on it. I don't have my number yet. We've got some shaking up to do. Hopefully, it will work out. If not 23, it's gonna be something in the 20s."
joe-haden-eli-rogers-ftr-090117.jpg

On if it will be difficult to adapt to a new defense: "No, I don't think so. Not too much. I played with (former Steelers secondary coach and Browns defensive coordinator) Ray Horton. We had the same defense, and I played with him twice. He was my defensive coordinator twice in Cleveland. Just kind of same concepts, just a little bit different terminology. I was with William Gay, just walking up and down the sideline when they were making the calls, and it seems kind of familar."

On his initial reaction to becoming a free agent and the process with the Steelers: "Once I got released and I was a free agent, it was cool because I got to pick my own destiny. I got to figure out where I wanted to go. They definitely had to have the same amount of interest in me, but when my agent was talking to them about how they were super excited, super pumped, couldn't believe I was available and wanted to get me in here, it was cool.

"I felt like it would be a great fit. When I first came when I met them at the hotel, the relationships — the owner, GM, the players, everybody — they just welcomed me and were super excited. It's an exciting time."

MORE: NFL predictions for 2017

On the attitude difference between the Steelers and Browns: "In Cleveland, we had just been always just trying to grind, always trying to get there, always just — from last season, we won one game, you know? It's just here — we talked Super Bowls in Cleveland — but here it's just a different feeling. It's just like everybody. Just the way the coach talks about it, the way everybody just talks about winning, winning, winning...

"I don't know how to explain it, man. Especially when you have high-powered guys. When you have a Ben walking through your locker room. When you have an Antonio Brown, who's putting up crazy numbers. You have a (Martavis) Bryant. You have Le'Veon (Bell), he's not here yet, but when you just have those type of weapons just all over the place. You have an offensive line, like Pouncey, like Gilbert. These dudes just carry big personalities, and they're confident in their abilities."

On his health status last season and how he feels now: "Towards probably the last seven games of the season, I knew I needed surgery. So, I wouldn't say I was too healthy. Now, I'm 100 percent. I had my surgery, January right after the season. I was rehabbing. I was there for OTAs, training camp, minicamp, everything. I was ready to go, full go."

MORE:
20 most hated NFL players in 2017: The disrespected and the downright dirty

On learning a new defense and being ready for Week 1: "I'm just trying to get the terminology. When they're making those play calls, I'm just trying to see what I would do. Putting myself in position if I was out on the field when they're making those calls. Just getting the terminology, the checks and all that stuff down.

"I don't think (it will take much time to get caught up). Like I said before, I played in a similar scheme with this twice before. I had coach Ray Horton as our defensive coordinator. It's just a little bit different terminology, but I should be able to get it."

C
Legend
Legend
C
Here is the interview the above article borrowed quotes from:

https://twitter.com/steelers/status/903321954479951873

Legend
Legend
While the fan in me was upset, i totally get it.

he wants to go to a place where he's pretty much a shoo in for the playoffs. just sucks he chose the steelers and not the cowboys, but it's all good. hope to see Haden get a int in the playoffs, not matter how much i hate the steelers.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
On top of that, you can see the frustration with his time here starting to come through.

Just like you said, the fan in me hates it, but I get it. Honestly, I couldn't help but feel so bad for Haden when he was describing coming into Pittsburgh and describing the difference between the two teams.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
he clearly wanted out ... not that he hates cleveland or the fans or whatever, but he felt his career reaching the end and wanted to win ... couple that with us asking him to take a paycut, and it was a mutual decision (not like we were adamant about him staying too obviously).

The fact he signed SO quickly with Pitt made me think he had this all planned out behind closed doors

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I were a DB looking for a rebound season, Pitt is a pretty good spot. Baltimore's OL is mangled and Flacco has been hurt. Cinci lost some talent on the OL and Dalton is not that intimidating regardless. We have a rookie QB and a bunch of unproven WRs. There are six CB "friendly" games.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I disagree w/this take. He said he was all in and that he thought the move to cut him was all about the salary.

I agree w/him.

A lawyer is running our football team.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I like Joe but... sorry, he's now the enemy. I hope what I hope for all Steelers, losses, playoff misses, bad stats, etc.
With that, I hope he and the rest of his teammates have poor seasons.
I hope they miss the playoffs.
Joe or no Joe.

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Quote:
I hope what I hope for all Steelers, losses, playoff misses, bad stats, etc.

How has that been working out for you? wink

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Key phrase
Meaningful football games .
Foreign to the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I hope we throw his way every time we need a first down...like our opponents have done for years against us.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
two things I took away from this article.

1). He said he didn't want to take a pay cut. here I believe he was making 11 million a year. roughly with signing bonus.

so 3 years 27 million...that's 9 million a year...seems like a pay cut to me. (albeit a small one).

2). Ray Horton is their secondary coach? (scratches head) I'm not sure that is a good thing or not.

that being said. "meaningful games" speaks volumes to me. but he still could have had meaningful games in Dallas, Oakland, and New Orleans. so sorry Joe, best of luck, except when playing us.

I will miss that dude greatly.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
oh gotta add...I would not have cut him...

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Well, he got cut..........it was a given he would have to take a pay cut. LOL

Joe had his best year under Horton.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
lol yes he did, and I had to run and get a six pack of beer to wash the bitter taste out of my mouth

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Cheers, my man!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
LOL thanks man

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I like Joe, but he is a steeler now, I hope he gets burnt constantly and gives up the game winner against us, just like he did for us many times over the past few years.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
On top of that, you can see the frustration with his time here starting to come through.

Thank you Dr. Phil.

rolleyes

Players always make positive statements about their new team.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Random thought/sign I watch too many spy shows/need more sleep:

What if we didn't "cut" Joe so much as send him undercover? He might be more valuable to us inside the enemy camp so to speak.

crazy

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Professional players or not, it HAS to grow on players and get frustrating to play "meaningless games" in November and December year after year after year. Not too many people WANT to stay with a losing franchise. Browns start winning and consistently make the playoffs and things will change.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
M
Legend
Legend
M
J/c

Saw this and thought it was a really interesting read.

We'll see how much more aggressive haden is in the pit D. I think he's at his best when jamming the wr on the line but with his diminished speed, it could spell trouble. Especially against a burner like Coleman or Coates..

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/aj-green-5-best-cornerbacks-nfl/

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
In RE: #2, he knows where he can loaf and get by without much heat. He certainly gave up ground here with Horton. Beat every Steeler!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
So they have calls for turn and chase, holding, playing too loose, and getting beat in the clutch? Go after him if we get a chance. Hurt us some. use it.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Especially against a burner like Coleman or Coates..

Is it just me, or is it still weird to read about Hayden defending OUR WR's?

Just doesn't sound right.
Doesn't feel right, either.

This is going to take some getting used to.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Good thread. When Haden was cut, I wanted to buy his jersey on discount. When he signed with the Steelers, I wanted to buy a discount jersey to burn. Now, I still like him, but I still feel a little burned.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, Haden is a STEELER now- I hope we burn his butt over and over again. Devise ways he CAN'T get his at line poke in and BURN HIM.....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
Especially against a burner like Coleman or Coates..

Is it just me, or is it still weird to read about Hayden defending OUR WR's?

Just doesn't sound right.
Doesn't feel right, either.

This is going to take some getting used to.

Agreed.

I think we are not better without Joe, but it is what it is. I like Joe and do not begrudge him taking the opportunity to continue to play. When he was cut I wished him the best.

However, now that he is wearing the urine and sludge colors of the Steelers, I do not wish him success of any kind. This has nothing to with him being a former Brown but everything to do with him being a current Steeler. I understand he owed us no loyalty and was free to sign any offer he received, and I support that fully. But I am a Browns fan first. Nothing personal against Joe but I hope he falls flat on his face.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: mgh888
J/c

We'll see how much more aggressive haden is in the pit D. I think he's at his best when jamming the wr on the line but with his diminished speed, it could spell trouble. Especially against a burner like Coleman or Coates..

Joe was actually beat pretty bad on the replay they used to show Joe jamming AJ at the line.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I disagree w/this take. He said he was all in and that he thought the move to cut him was all about the salary.

I agree w/him.

A lawyer is running our football team.

I agree with you, I don't think he wanted out at all. I think he'd have been ok to play out his career here in Cleveland.

For the Browns, I guess it could have been the contract or the skills eroding a little (or a lot depending on who you talk to).. Probably a combo of both. It certainly wasn't a personality conflict or any off field issues. Joe was one of the good guys.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I live in PGH, haden during practice was going step for step with Daryius Hayward Bey - who can still fly down the field. Seems to me that Haden may have been dogging it here to get released. All reports is that he looks stellar so far on the field.

Link

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Haden isn't that fast and it is his biggest weakness. The guy has a very good punch, is tough as nails, is a good tackler, and has a nice vertical...........but his lack of speed gets him into trouble.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: mgh888
J/c

Joe was actually beat pretty bad on the replay they used to show Joe jamming AJ at the line.

Well according to reports here in Pittsburgh (where I live) Haden is running like a fool, and out running DHB (who still has jets), and has been making play after play in practice. Seems like he was dogging it with us.

Link

Last edited by willitevachange; 09/08/17 08:51 AM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
No offense, but I am having a hard time believing either of those claims.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
No offense, but I am having a hard time believing either of those claims.

I did too at first, but I have heard it from multiple media guys here in PGH, as well as an article on ESPN I linked too in my comments.

E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...not a big fan of the release. But it is what it is. I just hope IRONY will come into play. You know something like we win Sunday and go on to win our Division...But I can see the choice of the Steelers. Cowboys and Raiders have a tough Division. Our Division is not that competitive this year.
Steelers are big time favorites to win.

Hope he commits to an INT and we burn him.

I also hope he covers Coleman...he does better with taller WRs for some reason...smaller shiftier WRs has not been his best coverage.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Haden isn't that fast and it is his biggest weakness. The guy has a very good punch, is tough as nails, is a good tackler, and has a nice vertical...........but his lack of speed gets him into trouble.

I believe he's a player where he's mentally needed as' well to excel. He always seems to start slow until a real big play or something was made. When he fails to make that big play, you'll see what you saw basically these last two years... in addition to injuries.

This is still not a threat to me. He's given up so many 3rd downs, big chunk plays and etc in his recent times here that it's reassuring seeing it benefit us now as opposed to hurt us.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Well according to reports here in Pittsburgh (where I live) Haden is running like a fool, and out running DHB (who still has jets), and has been making play after play in practice. Seems like he was dogging it with us.

will..but we play MONEYBALL in Cleveland...

This was a Browns front office decision and they determined that Haden wasn't fast enough for the MONEY...

I hope Haden gets burned !

Last edited by mac; 09/08/17 09:08 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...not a big fan of the release. But it is what it is. I just hope IRONY will come into play. You know something like we win Sunday and go on to win our Division...But I can see the choice of the Steelers. Cowboys and Raiders have a tough Division. Our Division is not that competitive this year.
Steelers are big time favorites to win.

Hope he commits to an INT and we burn him.

I also hope he covers Coleman...he does better with taller WRs for some reason...smaller shiftier WRs has not been his best coverage.

jmho

I have been telling that to Stooler fans since he signed there, Pitts signed him to beat NE, make no mistake. That's the consensus. NE shredded them last year, and they need CB help. BUT I told them that Haden has trouble with smaller "quicker" guys, and does well against bigger "fast" guys. He seems to still have straight line speed and lost lateral quickness.

Going off of that, NE is known for smaller shifty WR so I don't think Haden (although an upgrade over anything they have currently) is the answer to their plan.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

will..but we play MONEYBALL in Cleveland...

This was a Browns front office decision and they determined that Haden wasn't fast enough for the MONEY...

I hope Haden gets burned !

Im not saying I disagree with the release. I think its more bs if that's the truth and haden was dogging it here. I will lose a lot of respect for him if that's the case.

As far as the move to cut him, he was not worth 11 mil. plain and simple and fact. if he was, we would have been offered at least a 7th rounder for him. is he worth the 7 pit gave him, we will find out.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Haden: Why the Steelers and Why He Was Released

Link Copied to Clipboard