Scooby was so over rated in these parts
Some even predicted he would start for the Browns at some point haha

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
It also hints the Patriots plan to keep Jimmy Garoppolo after this season.

We have a QB that Hue has confirmed he believes is worth investing significant time and energy into developing as a franchise QB. Unless he stinks big time and shows no up side or potential I don't think we will even go for one of the big guys in the draft. We may draft somebody later as a potential legit #2 or 3 and then cut Kessler or Hogan. But, if Kizer continues to show potential I think our 1st round picks go for other positions.

If we do not draft a QB in '18, I bet we trade some of that sweet '18 action to set us up for '19...just in case DK doesn't develop.

So while we may not take a QB with a 1-2 Rd pick in '18, I bet we flip an early pick to an early '19 pick.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Scooby was so over rated in these parts
Some even predicted he would start for the Browns at some point haha

We liked Scooby enough, last year, that we paid him his full rookie salary as a member of the practice squad. (last year was the 1st year we could do that) He just liked the opportunity with the Cardinals better.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
It also hints the Patriots plan to keep Jimmy Garoppolo after this season.

We have a QB that Hue has confirmed he believes is worth investing significant time and energy into developing as a franchise QB. Unless he stinks big time and shows no up side or potential I don't think we will even go for one of the big guys in the draft. We may draft somebody later as a potential legit #2 or 3 and then cut Kessler or Hogan. But, if Kizer continues to show potential I think our 1st round picks go for other positions.

Depends who is there. If Sam Darnold has a good year and comes out then falls to us wherever we pick, I'd be furious if they didn't take him even if Kizer gets us to the playoffs.

Two potential franchise QBs on a team that has seen a long long list of crap QBs would be the 'ideal' situation.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/02/17 06:03 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Hearing (twitter) Ward could go to Pitt and reunite with Haden

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Hearing (twitter) Ward could go to Pitt and reunite with Haden

That would not be a fun thing to have happen.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He also told us to "trust him" about Kessler.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I've heard on many radio shows that Hue just ate the bullet for Sashi on that pick.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Colts trade Phillip Dorsett to Pats for Jacoby Brissett

I would have thought Pats would have kept him

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Odd to see Lions part with QB Brad Kaaya...whom they drafted this year and had a good preseason with them, sure they will try to stash him on their PS

E
Legend
Legend
E

And??? I never heard Hue state the kid was going to be our Franchise QB just that he can play and probably was the most accurate QB - Trust him...might mean we got our selves a good back up for a long long time.

why act like he meant something that was formed in our MINDS not his. So far he's better than Manziel and Weeden and it was a 3rd round pick!
jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I always thought when Hue said trust me that he was referring to the Qb situation in general. As in, trust me, we will get the Qb position fixed. But that's just me.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
TJ Ward to the Bucs is the rumor

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

T.J. Ward - DB - Buccaneers

Buccaneers agreed to a one-year, $5 million contract with SS T.J. Ward, formerly of the Broncos.
Denver cut Ward to make room for promising youngsters Justin Simmons and Will Parks to play more snaps, but there are no indications Ward is washed up. Still only 30 years old, Ward forced five fumbles and tallied three sacks for the Broncos over the last two seasons. Ward is an imposing tone setter at strong safety, albeit a coverage liability. He should still start Week 1 for Tampa Bay.

Related: Broncos

Source: James Palmer on Twitter Sep 3 - 12:59 AM

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

T.J. Ward - DB - Buccaneers

Buccaneers agreed to a one-year, $5 million contract with SS T.J. Ward, formerly of the Broncos.
Denver cut Ward to make room for promising youngsters Justin Simmons and Will Parks to play more snaps, but there are no indications Ward is washed up. Still only 30 years old, Ward forced five fumbles and tallied three sacks for the Broncos over the last two seasons. Ward is an imposing tone setter at strong safety, albeit a coverage liability. He should still start Week 1 for Tampa Bay.

Related: Broncos

Source: James Palmer on Twitter Sep 3 - 12:59 AM
thanks again thumbsup

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: DeaconDawg
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Ian Rapoport‏

The #Broncos have informed three-time Pro Bowler and all-pro safety TJ Ward that he's been released, source said.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/904004475140141056

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 6s6 seconds ago
More
Panthers released veteran punter Andy Lee and are planning to go with Mike Palardy as their punter, per source.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/904005252491472897
I would love Ward even if for a year or two

No way... a 30 year old safety who may have lost a step or two? This is what got our roster in trouble before.

Sadly even if Ward has lost a step, he's still a step or two ahead of what we currently have at SS...that is why this team will continue to struggle as we don't fill the voids with quality.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ward is a step or two faster than Peppers ???? ehhhh not so sure about that .... but Peppers may play more Free Safety than Strong Safety.

Last edited by Halfback32; 09/03/17 11:54 AM.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
E
Legend
Legend
E
Could be Jester...whatever it was - IT wasn't a trust me statement that Kessler would make us forget Wentz or any other QB taken before him. I just took it as a Trust me this is a good prospect.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
So he asked fans to trust him that he'd fail?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
So he asked fans to trust him that he'd fail?

Yep that was it.. rolleyes

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well why don't you tell me what it meant when Hue said, "trust me" concerning Kessler? Since it seems you think I have no clue, why don't you inform me?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Legend
Legend
To make room for new TE Blake Bell, the Vikings waived/injured draft choice Bucky Hodges, per source.

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/904445459657359361

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
Ward is a step or two faster than Peppers ???? ehhhh not so sure about that .... but Peppers may play more Free Safety than Strong Safety.

A step in overall game...not speed...as peppers should definitely be quicker being 22 vs 30...and like you stated I think Peppers will be more of a FS as his range is greater than the others we have...even though we namely use a left and a right safety...but Ward is clearly better than our others, that is certain

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Jeremy Langford has alot of potential...i thought for sure the Bears would keep him ad insurance behind Jordan Howard.

Legend
Legend
Steelers trade for Safety JJ Wilcox

M
Legend
Legend
M
The (multiple) reasons for the NFL's trade explosion

NFL teams have made 30 trades since Aug. 1, more than twice the average for the same period over the previous five years. Many trades involved minimal compensation for fringe players, but there were also moves that could push contenders such as the New England Patriots and Seattle Seahawks over the top.

The increased activity provides an opportunity to consider six factors that could be enabling an increase in trade activity. I spoke with some NFL executives and heard a number of explanations. Some to consider:

Potential trade enabler: Tanking has made its way to the NFL

The Cleveland Browns have assembled their roster while accumulating draft picks at a furious pace over the past couple of seasons.

The New York Jets joined the Browns this offseason by cutting Eric Decker, David Harris and Brandon Marshall, but the biggest tip-off of their tanking was the trade of defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson to the Seahawks. The Jets know they aren't going to overtake New England in the AFC East. The Buffalo Bills are better off but in a similar situation, making it easier for them to trade away Sammy Watkins. Why keep Watkins and possibly have to use the franchise tag on him next offseason with the long-term plan at quarterback still unsettled?

"The craziness of football used to be GMs who are on the hot seat," an exec said. "That was the group driving trades. But nobody liked trading future picks. Now, it is just very different. These guys are all willing to trade."

"Tanking" is a dirty word. No owner can openly admit he's tolerating it while still charging the customer full fare. But this is essentially what teams are doing when they willfully become significantly less talented in the short term.

"Every owner wants to win," the exec said, "but the real question is: Would you rather go 8-8 or 5-11 plus $30 million? If you are the Jets and you traded Sheldon and got rid of Decker, isn't the owner saying he'd rather go 2-14 and save $40 million than go 6-10? If you are the Bills with Watkins or the Browns with Joe Haden, is it the same thing?"

Potential trade enabler: Some teams aren't valuing draft picks as much

While the rebuilding Browns have stockpiled draft choices in an effort to go young, the reloading Patriots have increasingly traded picks for veterans such as Kony Ealy, Brandin Cooks and Dwayne Allen. Ealy has already been released, but in an era in which limited practice opportunities work against player development, there's a case to be made for adding proven NFL talent. The Browns drafted 14 players in 2016. They'll be fortunate if more than a couple pan out.

"Draft picks are becoming less valuable across the board," an exec said.

Picks are still valuable, of course, but if they are no longer sacred, another potential impediment to trades is diminished.

Potential trade enabler: Younger GMs are more willing to trade

The Philadelphia Eagles' Howie Roseman and the Seahawks' John Schneider were in their 30s when they first became general managers. They've been among the most willing wheelers and dealers in the trade market for years. There's now another group of younger decision-makers in place.

Age is not the only variable -- the Patriots' Bill Belichick is 65 and as willing to deal as anyone -- but it could be one indicator for an openness to making deals.

"This generation of GMs is far more willing to trade," an exec said.

Potential trade enabler: Eliminating the 75-man roster reduction creates opportunities

Before this season, teams reduced their rosters from 90 to 75 players before finally reducing to 53 for the regular season. Eliminating the reduction to 75 players is an obvious driver for some of the less significant trades. Teams looking to bypass the waiver system might be willing to part with a conditional late-round pick to get the fringe player they want. In essence, teams can claim a player via trade who would likely be cut anyway. They trade to bypass the market.

"I've never seen trades like this at this point in time," a former GM in his 50s said. "Usually, everybody thinks you will cut a guy, so no one will make a trade."

A pro personnel director said he thought eliminating the reduction to 75 could lead to the shopping of veterans who might otherwise have been released to pursue opportunities elsewhere.

Potential trade enabler: Fewer players have hard-to-trade contracts

Teams have become better at managing the salary cap and avoiding deals that paint them into a corner from a salary-cap standpoint. Large increases in spending limits have also created additional flexibility.

Trading players whose contracts carry little to no dead money is easier. Trading players who do have dead money is also easier when the salary cap is higher.

Potential trade enabler: Technology makes scouting players easier
Teams can thoroughly scout a larger number of players efficiently through advances in video technology. This is not new for 2017, but it's a trend that has affected the game in recent years, allowing teams to make more informed decisions more efficiently.

Will the wheeling and dealing happen again next offseason? We'll see. But people in the league see plenty of reasons for the increase in trade volume.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20566561/the-many-theories-nfl-trade-explosion-2017

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:

While the rebuilding Browns have stockpiled draft choices in an effort to go young, the reloading Patriots have increasingly traded picks for veterans such as Kony Ealy, Brandin Cooks and Dwayne Allen. Ealy has already been released, but in an era in which limited practice opportunities work against player development, there's a case to be made for adding proven NFL talent. The Browns drafted 14 players in 2016. They'll be fortunate if more than a couple pan out.

I agree with this point and think this is where the Browns FO feels it has it's edge over other teams in terms of where they are with the rebuild. They clearly value draft picks more than other teams. What I don't agree with is the example of the Patriots on the other end of the spectrum. They've traditionally always valued draft picks. Perhaps with Brady closing out his football career (and maybe Belichek too) they are making a run for it all again.

Still it's an interesting article. I also agree with the younger GM portion.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Well why don't you tell me what it meant when Hue said, "trust me" concerning Kessler? Since it seems you think I have no clue, why don't you inform me?

Stop with this crap...what is your problem.
Ask Hue he is the only one that can answer that.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
The Cleveland Browns have assembled their roster while accumulating draft picks at a furious pace over the past couple of seasons.

The New York Jets joined the Browns this offseason by cutting Eric Decker, David Harris and Brandon Marshall, but the biggest tip-off of their tanking was the trade of defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson to the Seahawks. The Jets know they aren't going to overtake New England in the AFC East. The Buffalo Bills are better off but in a similar situation, making it easier for them to trade away Sammy Watkins. Why keep Watkins and possibly have to use the franchise tag on him next offseason with the long-term plan at quarterback still unsettled?

Goes along with what I have been saying we are setting ourselves up to lose on purpose, so we can improve long term (fingers crossed).

I think it will work out eventually I hate losing though, and quite frankly have had enough of it a long time ago.

I pray this is the last year of losing.

On a brighter note I think we are nearing the turn, maybe it all depends on how Kiser works out.

I also think they were intent on starting Kiser this year, and with the help of Brock it was an easy choice, even if it was the plan all along...

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I mean let's be honest: if Kizer turns out to be a good QB it REALLY accelerates our rebuild. Think about the damage we can do to add to our roster next draft.

If he turns out to be not so good this year, we still are in good shape IMO ... especially given next year's QB class

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Craig Mager, CB from the Chargers could be someone from the 2nd round of cuts we look at. Fits the FO's style, young and has some measurables. Looks to fit Gregg Williams' style as well-Feisty, willing to hit and tackle.

Has an interesting back story as well, though sympathetic would also describe it.

Back Story Link

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

I agree with this point and think this is where the Browns FO feels it has it's edge over other teams in terms of where they are with the rebuild. They clearly value draft picks more than other teams. What I don't agree with is the example of the Patriots on the other end of the spectrum. They've traditionally always valued draft picks. Perhaps with Brady closing out his football career (and maybe Belichek too) they are making a run for it all again.

Still it's an interesting article. I also agree with the younger GM portion.

Agree with your take on this, Memphis. Their situation is much different than ours...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Legend
Legend
P
When a HC asks me to "trust him" about a player that was drafted, I know what that means. You're the one that refuses to admit it. If you didn't want this discussion, maybe you should have just left my original comment alone?

It's okay to admit Hue made a mistake with that comment. We all make mistakes, even Hue.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Trust me you are nowhere near as smart as you think. What HC do you know of plans on getting their Franchise QB via the 3rd round. And I'm not talking after the fact with Joe Montana. So get off your high horse. Trust him??? On the 3rd round choice of Kessler.

Btw way is he still on our Roster?
I know many have totally written him off even as a member of our Roster. If that is what you are talking about than you, Vers and others are incorrect on your assessment of Kessler. Franchise QB no. But a good back up that will get better with experience. Someday we might have to depend on for Post season play!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm smart enough to know he actually said that and I'm not pretending he didn't or trying to dismiss that he said it. Hogan looked better than Kessler. Kessler didn't progress and Hogan did.

Trust me.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'm smart enough to know he actually said that and I'm not pretending he didn't or trying to dismiss that he said it. Hogan looked better than Kessler. Kessler didn't progress and Hogan did.

Trust me.

At this point does the comment really make a difference?

I agree, Hogan looks good. He might push Kizer. If he gets cut and Kessler doesn't, to me it means the club doesn't want Kizer pushed.

Anyway, what's up with the practice squad? I am trying to figure out why we only have 4 at this point. There has to be some strategy to that. I just can't figure it out at this point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I think they are waiting for the second day cuts to clear waivers on a Holiday weekend.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not sure how much Holiday these guys take, but sounds good enough to me.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Craig Mager, CB from the Chargers could be someone from the 2nd round of cuts we look at. Fits the FO's style,

Has an interesting back story as well, though sympathetic would also describe it.

Back Story Link

Wow.

[Linked Image from dcptest.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum around the NFL ...roster cuts...

Link Copied to Clipboard