Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Actually last year they were one of the easiest defenses to run on....new year and they might be better though

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Anybody know how many penalties we had? Seems like that might be in the rear view mirror now

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: The Big G
I would rather give Gordon his 10th chance than keep Britt. Someone called Britt Bowe 2.0. Perfect.

Can't call Britt Bowe 2.0, I think Britt in one game was on the field more than Bowe was the year we wasted on him.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
A
Legend
Legend
A

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Anybody know how many penalties we had? Seems like that might be in the rear view mirror now

We had 4 Penalties for 61 yards the biggest a 41 yd. PI that led to a TD meanwhile Pittsburgh had 13 for 144 yds.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
How about our crowd today I thought they were pretty loud most of the day?

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
and Njoku looks like he could become a big weapon for us ... He only had 2 receptions for 20yds. but he was interfered with inside the 5, he looks like a tough cover

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I see an improved defense but some work still is still needed. Much of those 2nd half completions were due to lack of pressure. We just couldn't get to the QB. Hopefully, when Garrett comes back, we will be improved in that department.

The offense needs some play makers in the skilled positions. I know that the current administration is working on that and much depends on Coleman making the transition and retained guys like Crow making a difference. Crowell angers me because he's SO EASY to bring down because he stops moving his feet at contact. He could get more yards after the hit if he pumps those legs. Makes me want the Browns to draft a real RB next year.

Overall, Kizer did OK. He made rookie mistakes like holding onto the ball and staring down his targets. Hopefully he can fix those. My wife (Colts fan) reminded me that Manning did the same thing as a rookie, bless her heart!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Makes me want the Browns to draft a real RB next year.

Saquan Barkley Penn State ...

Legend
Legend
yeah, crow was abysmal

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Makes me want the Browns to draft a real RB next year.

Saquan Barkley Penn State ...

People often say we don't run enough, but if Crow isn't producing enough positive yards, it gets to be a wasted down. I don't know if it's him or the blocking, or a combination of the two? He seems to usually have some good runs every game, but I really am not into him like a lot of Browns fans are. IMHO

Legend
Legend
I'd personally like to see more Dayes. I know he's just a rookie, but I like his burst and cuts

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I'd personally like to see more Dayes. I know he's just a rookie, but I like his burst and cuts
not to mention he's decent at picking up blitzes

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H

I'd say send a message to the veteran and let him know that his carries are going to get cut into by the rookie if he doesn't play like he wants that pay day.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Bell had 32 yards for the Steelers Crow out rushed Bell!

Last edited by Vambo; 09/10/17 07:16 PM.
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
Browns played pretty well today. Not great but pretty well. Not well enough to win. But I have hope.

The team is vastly better than last year's team. Better talent, gameplay and coaching.

Kizer looks good. He made some rookie mistakes. The sacks and the interception were rough but he had some really terrific throws. This guy gives me some hope. I think he can be coached on the sacks. I also think he didn't have a lot to work with given the Browns have poor wideouts and the running game had no momentum. He should have thrown the ball away though instead of taking sacks.

It's unfortunate the Browns didn't do more to address the wide receiver position especially since we have a rookie QB who is good and need support. Losing Pryor and picking up Kenny Britt wasn't a move I think anyone liked. But the Browns also made all of those changes here in the last two weeks and brought in new receivers off waivers and those guys really haven't had a lot of opportunity to work with the offense and Kizer yet. Britt's dropped pass was really aggravating.

The running game was very disappointing. I am hopeful that next week is better.

That opening drive was really tough to swallow especially the blocked punt for TD.

Really don't care for the Steelers trying to dish out concussions.

Joe Haden didn't really look that good. No loss to us. I have a feeling he will cost the Steelers a game (or more) this year.

I wasn't happy with Hue burning through the timeouts in the second half because I knew the Browns would probably end up needing them at the end of the game. At least when he burned the first time out in the second half it resulted in a first down the next play. That being said, I like Hue. The team seems to be playing with heart and is better than it was last year. This is only his 33 regular season game as head coach so he is still learning too. I like him. I don't feel like we are in constant jeopardy with him like I did when Pat Shurmur was head coach.

It would have been fun to watch Myles Garrett today. I hope he doesn't miss too many games.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I believe we really missed MG today. I'm not saying we would have won if he played but we didn't have much of a pass rush and that's his forte. Pittsburgh would have had to account for him and that would have made it easier for other guys. Oh well, sometime later in the season I hope!!.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
Am just wondering if there could be any supension? due to the head shots shaizer should be gone

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Defense held them to 14 points. Should've been enough. OL allowed seven sacks and there was no running game. Thought OL was fixed, but it was the problem.

The difference in the game.

I don't think the OL was an issue at all.

On passes, Kizer held the ball too long to many times.

On runs, the Browns just don't execute. Part of it is the play calling...the run calls are too predictable. Part of it is the disjointed offense and not completing enough passes. The absence of the passing threat is going to cause the opponent to sell out for the run. We've seen that movie many times before. Crow also did not look good today. Slow to hit the hole and showed his trademark lack of balance.

I don't understand Hue's play calling at all.

I was agreeing that our defense only gave up 14 points.

Kizer was probably responsible for 5 of the seven sacks. He needs to get rid of the ball quicker for sure.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yeah, Crow missed some blocks today.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
j/c

in terms of the playcalling, the only thing I don't like is that we get too "cute" at times. Shifts, backwards passes, running to the short end of the field, etc ... especially with a young QB who has enough on his plate. I think sometimes the flash detracts from the productivity

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
thousand 1 thousand 2 thousand 3 get the damn ball out even if you have to hit the blond in the 3rd row. DK missed 2 throws deep that should have been either a TD or at the very least a big gain.

But with all that said he was ok. Nothing great but things you can work on. our D come on if you're playing you safties 25 yds of the ball sooner our later they are going to find that mid range opening in your zone and Pitt took advantage of that.maybe morelater.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
agree nor ... probably 6-8 times he was WAY too long with it ... I liked that he's poised and not trying to bolt the pocket, but you gotta speed it up and move through progressions

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
oh i don't agree with this at all.the Steelers were run bliting and if they got to Kizer all the better and as we all know they got there 7 times. 1 more time 1,2 ,3, get the damn ballout

Last edited by nordawg; 09/10/17 08:30 PM.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Defense held them to 14 points. Should've been enough. OL allowed seven sacks and there was no running game. Thought OL was fixed, but it was the problem.

The difference in the game.

I don't think the OL was an issue at all.

On passes, Kizer held the ball too long to many times.

On runs, the Browns just don't execute. Part of it is the play calling...the run calls are too predictable. Part of it is the disjointed offense and not completing enough passes. The absence of the passing threat is going to cause the opponent to sell out for the run. We've seen that movie many times before. Crow also did not look good today. Slow to hit the hole and showed his trademark lack of balance.

I don't understand Hue's play calling at all.

I was agreeing that our defense only gave up 14 points.

Kizer was probably responsible for 5 of the seven sacks. He needs to get rid of the ball quicker for sure.

Yep, and he owned that in his after game presser too. Sometimes, you just gotta give up and check down.

However, the fact that he wanted to push the ball downfield is a great mentality. One we haven't seen in...what...decades?

------------------------------
*In Baker we trust*
-------------------------------
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

--The Browns D played pretty good. They were way faster than last year.

--Kindred, who I was down on last year, played much better.

--Kirksey had a nice game.

--Burgess makes things happen. I like him.

--I don't like how deep we are playing our safeties. I assume that is because Williams doesn't trust their rads.

--Our corners are pretty bad and McCourty is even slower than Haden.

--I hope people abandon the 5 percent crap about how often the Mike will play. LOL

--C. Coleman played better.

--Kizer was up and down. Expected for a rook. Made some good throws. Held the ball way too long. Left the pocket when there was no need to. Did not seem overwhelmed by the moment. Overthrew too many passes and lacked touch on others. Big, strong guy.

--Run blocking was terrible.

--We got a lot of favorable calls which sort of amazed me.

--Bottom line: The team showed some promise. I was encouraged. I do think we need to win some games, though. All of these losses piling up wears on guys.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Kizer does not have very good accuracy. I still feel Hogan is the better option.

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
A
Legend
Legend
A
You, or someone, please expound on the safeties being 20, 25 yards or more deep.

The only thing I can come up with for doing that is we feared getting beat deep. Just seems odd to have safeties that deep.

Thoughts?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: slick
Kizer does not have very good accuracy. I still feel Hogan is the better option.

Stop. Hogan is not the better option. Where are you getting this from?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
You, or someone, please expound on the safeties being 20, 25 yards or more deep.

The only thing I can come up with for doing that is we feared getting beat deep. Just seems odd to have safeties that deep.

Thoughts?
yes it seems as if our #1 priority was to keep everything in front of us ... under no circumstances let them get past our last defender. For a guy who plays 2 high safeties (williams) it was not something they planned for ... but adjusted to it

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N

Thoughts?

ya that was me. It takes away the big td but gives up the 10-25 yd play. pick your poision

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I just got back from the game.. to answer one poster it was loud in the first half, that tapered off 2nd half

My big take away and we all discussed at the tailgate after the game.. we all agreed Kizer looked like he was in command, was moving people around point here wave there.. and people were moving quick to do it. He's a leader was the general opinion.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
K
All Pro
All Pro
K

Thoughts?

Is this normal for Williams? Or was it a scheme to counter thier speed at wr? It seemed to be effective since our front seven was able to stuff the run and they weren't forced to move up.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

Thoughts?
I remember he used to play Sean Taylor very deep as a single post FS. The rationale was playing him deeper made it possible to cover sideline to sideline with only 1 safety because his speed in conjunction with the extra depth made it possible for him to get to either sideline to get on top of a vertical go route.

My guess at minimum is the rationale for playing split field safeties extra deep is because it provides a strong visual deterrent to a QB against try to throw a vertical route like a go/fly, corner or post route.

It might force offensive coordinators and maybe even QBs also to re-think about which plays concepts will get open against ultra deep safeties.

And it forces offenses to run deeper route to find the void between the LBs and safties which will take longer and help the DL to get home with pressure.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
21 y/o Rookie QB 1st start against a division rival.

I thought Kizer played well all things considered.
2 areas to improve: protect yourself young man, QBs shouldn't get hit like a RB...if he keeps that up Hogan will be playing soon enough.

Get rid of the ball on time or scramble or scramble to throw the ball away. Avoid sacks, especial in FG range.

Last edited by edromeo; 09/10/17 09:34 PM.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
I just got back from the game.. to answer one poster it was loud in the first half, that tapered off 2nd half

My big take away and we all discussed at the tailgate after the game.. we all agreed Kizer looked like he was in command, was moving people around point here wave there.. and people were moving quick to do it. He's a leader was the general opinion.

Nice. That's something we've not heard about our qb's since probably Garcia.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Post game thoughts:

I want Tabor replaced and I want an OC. Either one of these things could have resulted in a win. Other than that, it's all been covered.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Swish
Originally Posted By: slick

Stop. Hogan is not the better option. Where are you getting this from?

Pretty much a "LOL"

All Hogan does is run, anybody who thinks he's a legit QB should be ignored.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
One blocked punt and you want Tabor replaced? Outside of that our punt team gave pittsburgh poor starting field position all day.

R
Legend
Legend
R

Yeah, Crow missed some blocks today.

I understand that Crow didn't play well today. I agree with that. But the part I don't understand is wanting to go to Dayes. You could argue Dayes was even worse than Crow today. It seems to me that too much of the time starters never get the benefit of the doubt and the backup gets tons of leeway.

I like Dayes and am looking forward to watching him develop over the course of the season, but he didn't do anything with his opportunities today.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 18 Steelers 21 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard