Next Thread
Print Thread
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Steelers LB Ryan Shazier Fined $25K For Hit On Browns QB DeShone Kizer

BY DAVE BRYAN SEPTEMBER 15, 2017 AT 12:03 PM

As expected, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier has been fined for his hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback DeShone Kizer during the team’s regular season road opener.

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, Shazier has been fined $25,000 for hitting a defenseless Kizer while he was attempting to slide following a first half scramble on Sunday. Shazier was penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness on the play.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Okay, that's all well and good....

...now can the NFL have a discussion about what Roethlisberger did?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'd rather see Watt fined for spearing Kizer in the arm when he was already down.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Or the helmet to helmet hit on Cory Coleman in the endzone

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I did think Shazier's was malicious to be honest.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
The NFL is just whining.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I did think Shazier's was malicious to be honest.

I thought Shaziers was so bang-bang, it was almost legal. It was the lowering of his head that made it intentionally dirty. Every flag tossed in those personal fouls came after a lowing of the head to attack with the crown of the helmet. IMO, all three were malicious. Those pigs are so consistent with it, and everyone on the team does it, so I figure it has to be taught during training camp. I figure the mandate goes something like this:

"If an opponent is an unprotected target (already down, held by a teammate, or in any other way unable to protect themselves), lower your helmet to inflict maximum damage, aiming for the head, joints, soft tissue or other targets of opportunity. If you're flagged for it and receive a personal foul penalty, do not repeat the action so as to avoid ejection."

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good. That's what I wanted to see.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Monetary fines don't hinder these actions a bit! You must make it hurt and actually count as a punishment by taking games away and then games away unpaid if possible.

25k to millionaires means nothing to the player but fills the NFL coffers.

Legend
Legend
I agree with the first part that a $25K fine isn't much of a deterrent.

But how can you say $25K means nothing to a guy making $1.7 million this year but "fills the coffers" of the NFL with revenues of $13 billion a year?

Not to mention, all fine money goes into two funds, one run by the NFL, the other run by the NFLPA, and both designed to help former players...

Roger Goodell, think of him whatever you want, doesn't fine players because the NFL needs the money.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
I agree with the premise of your point, but (IIRC) Shazier is still on his rookie deal, no? $25k isn't just a drop in the bucket for him, if that's the case.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was always taught that a lot of money meant different things to different people. That it was directly tied and relative to how much money you actually have and make.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Steelers LB Ryan Shazier Fined $25K For Hit On Browns QB DeShone Kizer

BY DAVE BRYAN SEPTEMBER 15, 2017 AT 12:03 PM

As expected, Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier has been fined for his hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback DeShone Kizer during the team’s regular season road opener.

According to Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com, Shazier has been fined $25,000 for hitting a defenseless Kizer while he was attempting to slide following a first half scramble on Sunday. Shazier was penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness on the play.

Link

Sentence served: Three Steelers each fined $24,309 by NFL for hits against Browns
5 comments
Escaping a fine is QB Ben Roethlisberger.
by Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature Sep 15, 2017, 6:28pm EDT

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/9/15/...-against-browns

Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ

#Steelers fined for hits on #Browns: LB Ryan Shazier, CB William Gay and S J.J. Wilcox each docked $24,309 by #NFL.
4:14 PM - Sep 15, 2017

The three players fined $24,309 each were:

ILB Ryan Shazier (for his hit on QB DeShone Kizer after he had slid)
CB William Gay (for his hit to the head/neck area on WR Ricardo Louis)
S J.J. Wilcox (for his hit to the head/neck area on WR Corey Coleman’s touchdown)

Fortunately, nobody on the Browns suffered a concussion or other injury as a result of the hits. The players who escaped a fine were OLB T.J. Watt (piling on to Kizer when he was already sacked) and QB Ben Roethlisberger (grabbing on to the ankle of DE Emmanuel Ogbah during an interception runback).

What do you think of the rulings, Browns fans? Satisfied?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
$24,309

What an oddly precise number

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Well, attention has been drawn to the filthy scum. 3 players for the same team drawing fines will turn some heads...and they'll be watched more closely. It's the most we've gotten in all these years of watching them cheapshot our players.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
It all filters down from the top. Tomlin encourages these kinds of hits, and probable will pay their fines. He's probable upset that none of the Browns are on IR. Instead of fining them or suspending them for the next game (which doesn't help the team victimized) I say eject them on the spot.

O
Legend
Legend
O
There's a definite rhyme and reason to what they did and didn't find for.

Do whatever, just don't touch the head/neck.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
L
Legend
Legend
L
Nice of the nfl to at least make pigsburgh know they're being watched.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Vambo
[quote=CalDawg]
ILB Ryan Shazier (for his hit on QB DeShone Kizer after he had slid)
CB William Gay (for his hit to the head/neck area on WR Ricardo Louis)
S J.J. Wilcox (for his hit to the head/neck area on WR Corey Coleman’s touchdown)

What do you think of the rulings, Browns fans? Satisfied?

Not really satisfied, no. Watt should've been tapped, and some would say Worthless too, but particularly Watt. The flag was thrown, he led with the crown of his helmet after the player was down. What makes him so special that he escapes the scrutiny and the fine? Oh well, I suppose something is better than nothing. At least the light has been shined on their BS.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Probably because his teammates took the brunt of the hit. Stupid that he could make a bonehead play like that and then seal the game on the next play. I'm going to hate watching him. Thought other teams were moronic for passing on him. Can't believe he fell into the Steelers' lap.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

What would have happened if the roles were reversed and Ogbah would have went low after Ben's leg???

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg

What would have happened if the roles were reversed and Ogbah would have went low after Ben's leg???

Careful, when you try to say "what if the roles were reversed", the lefties from the political board will have a hissy fit. brownie

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 18 Steelers 21 Steelers LB Ryan Shazier Fined $25K For Hit On Browns QB DeShone Kizer

Link Copied to Clipboard