Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Cleveland Browns: The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman
by Joel W. Cade

The Cleveland Browns have had a gaping hole at right tackle for years. But Shon Coleman is filling that void with his improved play.

The Cleveland Browns created a mess for themselves when they let Mitchell Schwartz leave two seasons ago. Since he left, the Browns have struggled to protect the passer and get effective push in the run game from the right tackle position.

When Schwartz left the Browns two seasons ago, there was much ink spilt over the deal Schwartz signed. Should the Browns have matched his offer? Should the Browns have signed Schwartz for more to prevent him from becoming a free agent? It was the first move in which the media began to openly question the competency of the Browns front office.

Later that offseason, the Browns drafted an oft injured offensive lineman from Auburn named Shon Coleman. The book on Coleman was that he was an outstanding run blocker who needed development in pass blocking. Also a part of the story was his brief hiatus from college football to battle leukemia.

Coleman represented exactly the type of player the Browns front office were looking for in the 2016 draft. He was an athletic freak who had overcome adversity in his life to arrive at the point where he is now.

He also fit another important profile that the Browns front office was looking for. He was a mauling right tackle who dominated in the run game. He fit the profile of a right tackle in head coach Hue Jackson’s offense.

His first season was essentially lost to an MCL strain. He spent most of training camp riding the bike trying to overcome yet another major setback in his career. Coleman continued to work hard, train and learn NFL football.

The few times he entered the game last season was primarily in heavy sets. His role was to line up as a tight end and provide extra run blocking support in short distance situations. He rarely played as the Browns were cautious with his return.

Coleman played for a significant amount of time in the final game of the 2016 NFL season against the Pittsburgh Steelers. He played most of the second half at right tackle. During that game he had several impressive run blocks, including one that sprung running back Isaiah Crowell on a long run.

However impressive his run blocking ability was that game, his pass blocking ability was as equally unimpressive. He struggled with balance in his passing sets, using leverage and delivering a strong punch.

It was clear after that game that Coleman would be a serious asset in the run game but would need significant improvement as a pass blocker.

Coleman made the decision to stay in Cleveland this past offseason to train at the facility. He would often work with Pro-Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas who began to mentor Coleman.

The relationship proved fruitful as he improved greatly over the offseason. He eventually won the starting right tackle position in training camp over former first-round pick, Cameron Erving.

This season Coleman has quietly emerged as a solid right tackle for the Browns.

His ability to run block is at a Pro-Bowl level. He can generate movement off the ball in one-on- one situations. He also dominates on double-teams. What is most impressive about Coleman’s game his is ability to block effectively at the second level. His quickness allows him to get position on smaller and faster linebackers, then finish with his brute strength. His run blocking is truly impressive.

However, coming out of the gate, Coleman has struggled mightily in pass protection. He was bending at the waist while engaging defenders. Bending at the waist caused him to be off-balance, allowing seasoned NFL defenders to use his balance against him. His drops were (and to an extent still are) too wide allowing defenders an inside rush to the quarterback.

Coleman’s on-the-job training in pass protection is starting to bear fruit. The last two weeks, Coleman has played with improved technique. He is bending at his knees, allowing him to engage defenders with adequate balance. His pass drops have improved, allowing him to harmlessly run defenders behind the quarterback.

Coleman has quietly emerged as the long-awaited solution to the void left by Mitchell Schwartz’s departure. In fact, should Coleman’s pass protection continue to improve, not only will Coleman be a better fit in Jackson’s scheme but will also be an upgrade at the position for the Browns.

For all the heat the Browns front office is currently taking, they got it right with Shon Coleman.

Link

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

I didn't know sports writers were trying to break into comedy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If you can try it why can't they? rofl

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Coleman is garbage...what emergence are they talking about..only thing he's known for is a good 3-4 penalties a game

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Coleman is garbage...what emergence are they talking about..only thing he's known for is a good 3-4 penalties a game

He's had five total, but hey, your inflated numbers almost makes your sarcasm seem relevant. FWIW, I don't like the penalties either, but the article is about his emergence. He's far from garbage. In fact, PFF has him rated 29th. (That puts him middle of the pack, not at the bottom if you're confused on the math.) He's getting better, that's the point. I know it seems hip and cool to be snarky and negative about the Browns, the coaches, the FO, etc, but this year is about growth, and he's showing some. So, like it or not, this is good news.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Don't worry. Posters were just like this about Mitchell Schwartz his first couple of years.

I like what Shon Coleman has done this year. He can still get better and hope he does.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Good thing he's hurt now.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
It's difficult to weather the constant barrages of negativity, particularly when there's a glimmer of good news. It makes me snappy. Apologies to all.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Good thing he's hurt now.

I saw something about his knee. Is he out this week or did he just sit out practice?

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Glad you posted this Cal. It's easy to be negative what with all that has transpired with our Browns over the years but I always like to hear something positive. We need some positives to build on. Shon sounds like he is making good strides and will only get better and I believe he's not the only one. Go Browns!!!

Legend
Legend
He’s not getting our qb killed, so I’m glad he’s here. Hopefully he continues to grow and we have a solid line for a while.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Don't worry. Posters were just like this about Mitchell Schwartz his first couple of years.

I like what Shon Coleman has done this year. He can still get better and hope he does.

first couple of years he sucked lol

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

He's had five total, but hey, your inflated numbers almost makes your sarcasm seem relevant. FWIW, I don't like the penalties either, but the article is about his emergence. He's far from garbage. In fact, PFF has him rated 29th. (That puts him middle of the pack, not at the bottom if you're confused on the math.) He's getting better, that's the point. I know it seems hip and cool to be snarky and negative about the Browns, the coaches, the FO, etc, but this year is about growth, and he's showing some. So, like it or not, this is good news.

Hell, lead is like that with everyone. He was snarky and negative with the Cavs, picking them to lose every series and game all the way to the championship in '16.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Tackle is probably one of the 2 or 3 hardest positions to fill in the NFL. Heck, it's even hard finding a good, quality Guard or Center anymore. Developing one can take a couple of years, as we have seen with Schwartz.

I have seen good and bad with Coleman, and that's to be expected. I don't know if he's the solution at RT, but he has shown some signs of potential there.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

However, coming out of the gate, Coleman has struggled mightily in pass protection.

I was reading it thinking it was total BS till I got to this bit ... Coleman's struggles have been pass blocking and speed/agility. As others pointed out - he's good for a couple penalties each game. . . . that said this is his first year as a starter and if he develops he has potential to be good.

Interesting that PFF have him graded that high among all Tackles ... I would not have thought that. . . . and we should Add I think Schwartz is one of the elite RT's this year for KC based on PFF ratings

Last edited by mgh888; 10/12/17 06:29 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Tackle is probably one of the 2 or 3 hardest positions to fill in the NFL. Heck, it's even hard finding a good, quality Guard or Center anymore. Developing one can take a couple of years, as we have seen with Schwartz.

I have seen good and bad with Coleman, and that's to be expected. I don't know if he's the solution at RT, but he has shown some signs of potential there.

Judging NFL-ready offensive linemen becomes more complex in spread era

http://www.startribune.com/judging-nfl-r...-era/370395711/

NFL has an offensive line crisis

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-nfl-offensive-line-crisis-20170913-story.html

Last edited by pblack18707; 10/12/17 06:37 PM.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

Schwartz had a solid-good rookie season, then regressed in his second season (for many reasons, always seem our young players regress once emerging) He bounced back and strung some really good seasons afterwards.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
The Cleveland Browns have had a gaping hole at right tackle for years. But Shon Coleman is filling that void with his improved play.

This kinda tells you all you need to know. A gaping hole at RT for years? Hmmmmm.......I thought Schwartz was ranked as the league's second best RT in all of football when he was here?

I've been watching Coleman as closely as I can. It's hard to do on TV, but I have focused more on him than any other offensive player.

He's had some good moments and some bad moments. He had a very rough game last game. Does anyone know his PFF score for that game? Heck, how about all the games?

I think he could evolve into a decent RT, but he is having a bit of a rough go right now. That isn't to say he is horrible. I just don't agree w/this writer's take and wonder how much credibility the guy has.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

That is amazing, since this is his second year.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I believe he was talking about Schwartz.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

This kinda tells you all you need to know. A gaping hole at RT for years? Hmmmmm.......I thought Schwartz was ranked as the league's second best RT in all of football when he was here?

I've been watching Coleman as closely as I can. It's hard to do on TV, but I have focused more on him than any other offensive player.

He's had some good moments and some bad moments. He had a very rough game last game. Does anyone know his PFF score for that game? Heck, how about all the games?

I think he could evolve into a decent RT, but he is having a bit of a rough go right now. That isn't to say he is horrible. I just don't agree w/this writer's take and wonder how much credibility the guy has.

Sums up my thoughts, with emphases on the upside. I love the kid's story too having beat cancer and is very soft spoken.

Rooting for him to improve.

V
Legend
Legend
V
He has a chance. It looks like he is a pretty strong guy and does a decent job of engulfing some defenders. He's young and is making some pretty bad mistakes. But, he has a chance.

The one thing that is a bit of a concern is that his lateral movement coming out of his stance looks to be slow. Gotta keep an eye on that one.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Coleman is a lot better than he was last year. I'm pleasantly surprised.

R
Legend
Legend
R

This was my first thought as well.

Most fans believe every position should be an all pro. Short of that players are worthless.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

That is amazing, since this is his second year.

what can i say? i am just a amazing kinda guy...

Legend
Legend

So did you on the board but we don't hold that against you grin

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
It is good to see this kid nows how to hold first key in being a great lineman.
Is the context of ratings all tackles or right tackles?

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
hey vers really like your analysis of the offensive line.
Question how high would you rank him on rt run blocking?

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think Shon Coleman has been up and down so far this year. It's his first year starting, so I think that is expected. He should improve as the year moves along.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

I believe it was last week vs the jets Coleman was our #1 rated OLman even over Joe Thomas. Probably why this article was written.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Anyone know when Zeitler gets that cast removed?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
good for him.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
E
Legend
Legend
E
Shon is still developing. I am glad to see he is who we thought he could be. He had the best skill set to be our starter and just living up to that reputation. He has a ways to go but he could end up better than the Schwartz.
Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If it works out like that, I for one wouldn't complain one ioda.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
he's far from "good" ... at least as of now. but I will say that he's better than expected. We're so used to having an AWFUL Rt that his average play is a nice luxury.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
I hope that happens but based on RS being a top 5 RT this year to date - I'd say the probability of that happening is slim. Less than 20% ? If he pans out to be average or above average for the next 5-10 years ... I'd take that in a heart beat.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Am I wrong in my perception that Coleman is more likely to hold than to allow someone to steam roll the QB? I don't like penalties, but I don't like replacing injured QB's more.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jacksondawg
It is good to see this kid nows how to hold first key in being a great lineman.
Is the context of ratings all tackles or right tackles?

All tackles, Jackson.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
never said he was top 5 nor do I expect it.
I do expect him to continue to get better during the season.
But the OL is a unit. And I see us having a top 5 UNIT BY THE END OF THE SEASON. Sorry left caps on. He has a good individual ceiling.key is the unit. Glad we are going with the best shot to win
Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I expect Coleman to be a top 15 tackle. He is improving by leaps and bounds. Its not easy for these OL to be great pass blockers when our QBs just hold the ball for an eternity. Hogan doesn't get the ball out all that quickly but he looks like speedy Gonzales compared to the trail of slow motion passers we have put out there from Kizer to RG3 to McCown to Kessler to Manziel. None could make a quick decision.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman

Link Copied to Clipboard