Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
I liked your initial post. I thought you were very fair.

The rest of the thread kind of went to hell after will started his normal BS. I did like bonefish's posts.

I do think that most people are overrating our talent in big way. On the other hand, I think Ogbah has played better than given credit for and Njoku looks to have some big time ability. If Myles can stay healthy, I think he'll be a star. The rest? Blah.

I find most of them to be disappointing, especially guys like C. Coleman and Peppers.

I think the FO has to do a better job of finding "football players."

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

While I have to say that the Cory Coleman pick is in question right now, at least they avoided the Gary Coleman pick. That would have been an epic failure.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
lol, yes. Even the Coleman Lantern would have been a better pick.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3700&type=team

Eagles Draft Picks .... that part was easy. Researching how anyone played other than Wentz would be the time consuming part.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
E
Legend
Legend
E
who did I rate from the 7th round???

What I would like to say is that it is very hard to believe we are in a good place. With our heartbreak I get the resistance. Ive never see the overall young talent amassed here.
Really only the most important QB position is missing. It will come I just hope some of us will get to see it!!! It is rather exciting!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks for clearing that up for me bone .... appreciatte it ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I would rate Sashi's drafts so far as: Uninspiring.

Much of that is based on who they chose to pass on. Wentz the obviously glaring blunder.
Watson throwing 5 TDs a game isn't helping the cause of the FO either.

The 2016 draft leaves a lot to be desired thus far. Looks like a bunch of guys, save for maybe Ogbah.

2017, the jury is out, but based on knee jerk reaction, Garrett and Watson (I never wanted Watson, but I don't make millions to get these things right), looks like something the fans and franchise could view as light at the end of what's been a long, dark tunnel.

For now, we have a bunch of draft picks, like we always do, and Kizer who looks like his confidence has been rattled after being benched for the second week in a row. This time indefinitely.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
It's too early to grade the drafts, but I thought an overall look at the two drafts so far might be interesting. Based on grades alone, it will be easy for most of you to trash a bulk of the players, and I fully expect that because that's what we do. But I do suggest keeping an open mind, especially when considering ratings like 67.8 #71 Below Average for Ogbah and 65.9 #31 Below Average for Njoku. In other words, the ratings don't tell the whole story. Poor QB play, poor team play as a whole, youth, inexperience, time within the systems, and upside potential all factor in. Also keep in mind that the quick blurbs about performance are JMHO, and in no way reflect any official scouting reports. Anyway, have at it.

Rd 1

Corey Coleman WR #15 - Shows potential but often injured. Can’t classify as a bust yet, but we need to see consistent production and the ability to stay on the field. Current PFF rating is 73.3 #45 Average.

Rd 2

Emmanuel Ogbah DE #32 - Starting DE - Shows flashes and has potential but is inconsistent. Needs further development & experience. The return of Garret may help his play. Current PFF rating is 67.8 #71 Below Average.

Rd 3

Carl Nassib DE #65 - Second String DE behind Miles Garret. Shows potential and flashes but often disappears. Current PFF rating is 47.1 #96 Poor.

Shon Coleman OT #76 - Starting RT. Good run blocker, struggles with pass protection but is showing improvement. Current PFF rating is 70 #29 Average.

Cody Kessler #QB 93 - 3rd String QB. May be too early to call a bust, but the writing is on the wall. No PFF rating.

Rd 4

Joe Shobert LB #99 - Starting MLB - Good motor, shows flashes, inexperience and physical tools may be limiting. Current PFF rating is 42.7 #68 Poor.

Ricardo Lewis WR #114 Second String WR behind Kenny Britt. Good work ethic but has issues with drops. Needs work on route running. Current PFF rating is 43.9 #100 Poor.

Derrick Kindred DB #129 - Starting Safety - Good tackler, and has some very good game. Still developing, may have high upside. Current PFF rating is 77.1 #33 Average.

Seth DeValve TE #138 - Backup TE to Telfer but in reality is starting “Pass Catching” TE. Fairly consistent catching the ball and getting separation but inconsistent QB play makes him difficult to judge. Not a good blocker. Current PFF rating is 62.3 #35 Below Average.

Rd 5

Jordan Payton WR #154 - No longer in football at this time.

Spencer Drango OG #168 - Backup RG to Kevin Zeitler. Developmental player. No PFF Rating.

Rashard Higgins WR #172 - Starting WR. In because of injury. Inconsistent so far. Inconsistent QB play makes it difficult to just. Like all Browns WRs has “drop” problems. Current PFF rating is
42.5 #102 Poor.

Trey Caldwell CB #250 - No longer in football at this time.

Rd 7

Scooby Wright LB #250 - Backup ILB for the AZ Cardinals.

Rd 1

Myles Garret DE #1 - Starting DE. Just coming off injury. Limited play. Very High potential if he can stay healthy. Current PFF Rating is 74.3 #0 (probably not enough data) Average.

Jabrill Peppers DB #25 - Starting FS. Has been wildly inconsistent, possibly in part due to scheme and distance played from LOS. Non-factor in punt returns. Current PFF Rating is 38 #83 Poor.

David Njoku TE #29 - Backup TE. Has shown flashes and has tremendous upside. Inconsistent QB makes it difficult to judge. Has improved week to week. Current PFF Rating is 65.9 #31 Below Average.

Rd 2

Deshone Kizer QB #52 - Backup QB. Has been benched in favor of Hogan due to inconsistent play and stagnant growth. Has upside and potential, with physical skills and tools. Current PFF Rating is 44 #32 Poor.

Rd 3

Larry Ogunjobi DT #65 - Backup DT. Has flashed and shown good potential. Current PFF Rating is 80.3 #33 Above Average.

Rd 4

Howard Wilson CB #126 - Out due to injury. Potentially could return to practice week 7. No PFF rating.

Rd 5

Roderick Johnson OT #160 - Out due to injury.

Rd 6

Caleb Brantley DT #185 - Third string DT behind the deepest position group on the team. Has high upside. Current PFF Rating is 47.8 #0 (small sample) Poor.

Rd 7

Zane Gonzalez K #185 - Starting Kicker. Poor showing thus far with three missed FGs. Very disappointing so far. Has upside but needs to start making FGs or is in danger of losing his jog. No PFF rating that I could find.

Matthew Dayes RB #252 - 3rd string back up RB. Has flashed but not much production so far. No PFF rating that I could find.

OUCH...

Just curious, how many view PFF as a legit source?

I would like to know more about their rating system.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Reading through the posts on several threads, it seems that a lot of people think that PFF is biased and clueless when they give our guys low ratings and dead on when they give a guy like S. Coleman an average grade and McCourty a high grade while giving guys like Haden poor grades.

LOL.........I'm kidding, but it's actually true. grin

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Ogbah and Kindred are the only ones who have
Shown any kind of skill set that translate
To making plays.
They could start for a few teams.Coleman is learning and showing progress
Every one else from that draft is just another guy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

Reading through the posts on several threads, it seems that a lot of people think that PFF is biased and clueless when they give our guys low ratings and dead on when they give a guy like S. Coleman an average grade and McCourty a high grade while giving guys like Haden poor grades.

LOL.........I'm kidding, but it's actually true. grin

Can you show me some examples? I've been reading the same posts as you and I see people generally either like PFF or they don't .... I have not seen anyone cherry pick the PFF grades.

That's an easy accusation to make, harder to actually prove - and if true I am truly interested. Are you willing to actually show me what you say is true or do you just like throwing stuff out there based on nothing?

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think the FO has to do a better job of finding "football players."

The frustrating thing is they don't even have to find them. They fall right into their laps and they bypass them.

Diam responded to a post I made in another thread and said my post was made out of frustration. He's right. I'm frustrated. I've never been a big fan of trading down. Was opposed to it last year. Was opposed to it this year. It's extremely frustrating watching players they pass on have success, especially at QB.

I think passing on Wentz was egregious and a fireable offense if Haslam wanted to make that call. I sound like a mac broken record but this "quantity over quality" is killing the Browns and the inability to evaluate QBs is the death blow. I don't think anyone in the organization knows how to evaluate a QB from Sashi on down to Hue. It's so demoralizing to watch these bona fide players the Browns passed on show flashes of stardom.

Think about this for a second...a franchise that has had a decent amount of success over the last 15 years, the Eagles, were willing to give up draft picks to draft Wentz. A franchise with stable ownership that knows what they are doing. That's the model the Browns should be following. Instead we got Coleman, a first round bust. The Browns made a conscious decision to draft Coleman over Wentz and patted themselves on the back about it. Egregious and fireable. When is the madness going to stop?

I started a thread last week about how do we measure progress. My intent was to have a serious discussion free from insults and the back and forth that plague this board. Everyone that responded honored those wishes and the thread got off to a good start. But I haven't really bumped it or chimed in with any responses because my heart is just about not in it at all anymore. I stopped watching the Jets game last week somewhere in the third quarter. Left the house to take care of a few things. Came home and watched the rest on the DVR fast forwarding through most of it already 99% sure of the outcome. It shouldn't be that way.

Yes, I'm frustrated. I think Milk said it best. Sashi has been uninspiring. Actually that's probably the nicest thing I could say. That's the "ceiling" of compliments for Sashi.

I said before the season no firings even if this team went 0-16. That's fine if that's how it turns out. Give these guys one more year to sink or swim. But I can't imagine I'm alone in being overly nervous trusting Sashi and Co. with next years draft. I just don't have confidence they will make decisions that will make the Browns better. Having them in charge next year gives me no hope that things will get turned around.

I am beyond frustrated.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think you are interested. I think you only made that post to discredit what I said. And if I post a couple of examples, you'll turn things around and not admit that it's been happening.

But, just in case you are actually legit, here are a "couple of examples:

Quote:
They are not taking into effect where they guys were drafted. Joe S at 4th round is a steal. He is playing very good ball so far as an example. Listing player than can start and produce as poor who was drafted in the 4th round is just crazy.

Caleb Brantly in the 7th round was a steal as well. They have him listed as poor. How many other 7th round picks are still even playing, yet producing (although very limited, he is still playing).

Well first off...I think the PFF grades are questionable at best.

I actually think the pay off from the 2016 draft is looking pretty good. Ogbah has taken big steps thus far this year and I think has looked great. Both Schobert and Kindred have taken big leaps forward as well and have become solid starters. Others, who are still with us, are all playing productive roles on the team minus Kessler.

2017 has been similarly good. Actually, I'd say the worst performer from that draft thus far may actually be Kizer. I still don't hate the pick given where we picked him up but he's showing exactly what draftniks said...needs another year of experience. Physical tools are all there but the mental side of the game hasn't caught up.

I'll amend that...Gonzalez is the most disappointing thus far. When you use a pick on a kicker, you expect him to be nails.

I posted the PFF rating as sort of a milestone as to where we are now as a snapshot five games in. I'm hoping to update the list periodically to chart progress over time. As I mentioned, there are many factors that could contribute to the relatively poor grades. And I have to wonder, if we were say 3-2 the grades might not be higher. (But I suppose that assumes performances would be better). Also, I agree that the eye test has many of our players looking much better than the grades would indicate.

It shows that PFF or whoever doesn't take into account what the eye sees but it's there, league wide, so offers a comparison. Players on good teams will have their play elevated whilst good players on bad teams will suffer the reverse, is my 2p.

I personally think that the 2 drafts have been very decent based on what we've seen to date. Still, lots of time to revise that either way.

Then, you can go to another thread and find the comments about McCourty's rating and Haden's rating. You can then go to the S. Coleman thread and see the comments about PFF having him rated as middle of the pack. One poster said he was 29th and another 25th.

These comments are all there. You may not agree w/my takes, but I certainly don't lie about things. If you want to try and convince others that I am........oh well........go for it!

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't think you are interested. I think you only made that post to discredit what I said. And if I post a couple of examples, you'll turn things around and not admit that it's been happening.

But, just in case you are actually legit, here are a "couple of examples:

Quote:
They are not taking into effect where they guys were drafted. Joe S at 4th round is a steal. He is playing very good ball so far as an example. Listing player than can start and produce as poor who was drafted in the 4th round is just crazy.

Caleb Brantly in the 7th round was a steal as well. They have him listed as poor. How many other 7th round picks are still even playing, yet producing (although very limited, he is still playing).

Well first off...I think the PFF grades are questionable at best.

I actually think the pay off from the 2016 draft is looking pretty good. Ogbah has taken big steps thus far this year and I think has looked great. Both Schobert and Kindred have taken big leaps forward as well and have become solid starters. Others, who are still with us, are all playing productive roles on the team minus Kessler.

2017 has been similarly good. Actually, I'd say the worst performer from that draft thus far may actually be Kizer. I still don't hate the pick given where we picked him up but he's showing exactly what draftniks said...needs another year of experience. Physical tools are all there but the mental side of the game hasn't caught up.

I'll amend that...Gonzalez is the most disappointing thus far. When you use a pick on a kicker, you expect him to be nails.

I posted the PFF rating as sort of a milestone as to where we are now as a snapshot five games in. I'm hoping to update the list periodically to chart progress over time. As I mentioned, there are many factors that could contribute to the relatively poor grades. And I have to wonder, if we were say 3-2 the grades might not be higher. (But I suppose that assumes performances would be better). Also, I agree that the eye test has many of our players looking much better than the grades would indicate.

It shows that PFF or whoever doesn't take into account what the eye sees but it's there, league wide, so offers a comparison. Players on good teams will have their play elevated whilst good players on bad teams will suffer the reverse, is my 2p.

I personally think that the 2 drafts have been very decent based on what we've seen to date. Still, lots of time to revise that either way.

Then, you can go to another thread and find the comments about McCourty's rating and Haden's rating. You can then go to the S. Coleman thread and see the comments about PFF having him rated as middle of the pack. One poster said he was 29th and another 25th.

These comments are all there. You may not agree w/my takes, but I certainly don't lie about things. If you want to try and convince others that I am........oh well........go for it!

No - those comments are there, that is not the point.

What you said was posters cherry pick and change their opinion about PFF based on the player being graded.

I am looking for one example of a poster doing that. If you can't - oh well.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/14/17 09:22 AM.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get it, Rish.

But, in the FO's defense.......I have to say that it is extremely difficult to evaluate the majority of collegiate qbs in this era. Unless they are playing in a pro-style offense, there is just no way to know if they have the ability to process what they see [post-snap] quickly enough.

I will also say that while I have been moderately disappointed in their drafts thus far, it's early and a lot of these guys might blossom. Also, we do have a lot of picks coming up.

Way too early to bail on them. I think we should give the FO and Hue all of this year and all of next before even thinking about replacing them. I am actually hoping for 4 or 5 years, but they gotta get at least 3.

And Rish, I understand your frustration. I think most of us are frustrated. We chose this plan. Gotta see it through.

V
Legend
Legend
V
What? I never used the words cherry pick. I said exactly what I meant and I stand behind it.

Like I said.........I knew it was a mistake to believe you were truly interested.

Bash away.........you'll have plenty of company. I simply don't have the time or willingness to care.

Legend
Legend
The grades can be done in one word

Incomplete

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
Cory Coleman is definitely a bust, not even a question.

That's actually not accurate. What he is for sure, is a health risk. The kid can't stay healthy.

When he's out there, he proves his worth. that doesn't make him a bust.

Just a kid with serious bad luck.

Same with Courtney Brown.. Remember him.. Great when on the field, couldn't stay on the field... I think he lasted 5 years in the league with the Browns and Broncos.

Sometimes, these things work themselves out. Like the center for the Cavs, Z. Remember all the foot problems he had in the beginning of his career.. Turned out after a couple of years of problems, he was a pretty darn good Center for a lot of years.

I hope it works out like that for Coleman..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
The grades can be done in one word

Incomplete

No doubt, but it give us something to track over time. I'll redo this at mid-season, then quarterly. (Assuming I don't brain fart it.)

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
If you need help with a brain fart just let me know. I am an expert at that laugh

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
If you need help with a brain fart just let me know. I am an expert at that laugh

Having them or avoiding them?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c

I really was most mad when we passed on Malik Hooker and ended up with Jabrill Peppers. Sure, we got Houston's 1st round pick ... but realistically, we NEED a ballhawk in the secondary. I think Hooker will be a good, good pro.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
...Instead we got Coleman, a first round bust. The Browns made a conscious decision to draft Coleman over Wentz and patted themselves on the back about it. Egregious and fireable. When is the madness going to stop?...

You certainly have every right to be frustrated...but these rants are wildly incomplete without mentioning the other picks/players that we got in addition to C Coleman. It is quite significant and completely alters the picture of the trade.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mgh888
[quote=Versatile Dog][quote]

Maybe we have a different definition of what cherry picking means - but your exact words define cherry picking to me: someone saying PFF clueless when they rate our players low and then think PFF is dead on when they grade our players high.

If I am mis-reading what you intended to say, I apologize. But I think it's important to be accurate especially as your post seemed to be ridiculing other posters.

E
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
E
I think the grades would look a lot better if we managed to hit on a QB... We're a team that has won 15 games since he became Vice President in 2013, but we've won one game since he became our de-facto GM. Is that an indictment of him, or another cog of the organization?

Legend
Legend

Having them or avoiding them?

See what I mean

Having them of course

Legend
Legend
One of my problems with the FO is how they handled the safety position this year.

Kindred is turning out to be a stud, but then it makes no since why we drafted peppers if we could’ve got Malik hooker instead. We have two SS back there and it’s not working.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Didn't Hooker have an injury that kept him out of the combine? That may have been a reason they passed on him. Hooker may become a good pro but it's too early to write off Peppers as inferior, IMO.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
We needed a FS and peppers is more of a SS

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I don't disagree, I just wonder if the injury affected the decision.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If memory serves me right, we got an offer for the Texans #1 in 2018 if we moved down. Thats the reason we passed on Hooker

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
T
Legend
Legend
T
Wow! All that talent and Hue is the coach?

Why are they only winning one game?

Plus. All that "other" talent last year, and Hue was the coach?

Why did they only win one game?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Didn't Hooker have an injury that kept him out of the combine? That may have been a reason they passed on him. Hooker may become a good pro but it's too early to write off Peppers as inferior, IMO.

That's right - or that's how I remember it. The injury was potentially significant. . . . with all that being said I wanted Hooker and I think his ceiling is higher than Peppers.

Game 5 of a young career and we finally saw Peppers up in the box more and blitzing. . . we'll see what happens but I am sure he will improve. He's got the physical tools that you can't teach, it really depends on his mental grasp of playing safety in the NFL. Harbaugh said Peppers is as smart as any football player he's ever coached.

W
Rookie
Rookie
W
No, it is not too soon to rate players. This team needed starters that could perform. Corey Coleman had a reputation of being injured in college. He also came from a system that had few routes to run. This team does not need this, they need players to step in and play right now. Especially first and second round players. They must improve every year. If you look at the draft of 2016 you will find not many players improving and you will find only 4 to 5 players out of 14 worth keeping. Sashi's analytics was supposed to eliminate this woe. Schobert is an outside LB and is undersized to play the middle. When you a lot of undrafted players on your team that means you suck.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I believe it was more about the trade then the injury. Hue was said to be fighting hard to draft him, but the trade was to much to pass up

#GMSTRONG

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: wagonboss
No, it is not too soon to rate players. This team needed starters that could perform. Corey Coleman had a reputation of being injured in college. He also came from a system that had few routes to run. This team does not need this, they need players to step in and play right now. Especially first and second round players. They must improve every year. If you look at the draft of 2016 you will find not many players improving and you will find only 4 to 5 players out of 14 worth keeping. Sashi's analytics was supposed to eliminate this woe. Schobert is an outside LB and is undersized to play the middle. When you a lot of undrafted players on your team that means you suck.

Anytime you can find as many as 4 or five in one draft your doing really good. Thats why they wanted as many picks as possible.

#GMSTRONG

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
I believe it was more about the trade then the injury. Hue was said to be fighting hard to draft him, but the trade was to much to pass up

You're right about this. Completely slipped my mind.

Quote:
The Browns also passed on Ohio State safety Malik Hooker in the trade down to 25. They liked Hooker, and the safety said the Browns showed a lot of interest in the pre-draft process.

The trade gives the Browns five picks in the first two rounds next season: two in the first and three in the second.

Link

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
versatile, i get the point you are making but you made a factually incorrect statement, probably just from misreading the post. Coleman was rated 29 according to a poster and Schwartz was 25. No mystery change in rating without playing a game.
I have no idea how valid those rankings are at different positions, but I think I remember reading that teams grade each player for every game. I think those would be interesting wresting numbers to see.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You said that we made a conscious decision to draft Coleman over Wentz. That is absolutely not the case. I think that's the issue most fans struggle to identify and thus become frustrated.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I get it, Rish.

But, in the FO's defense.......I have to say that it is extremely difficult to evaluate the majority of collegiate qbs in this era. Unless they are playing in a pro-style offense, there is just no way to know if they have the ability to process what they see [post-snap] quickly enough.

It was hard before this era too. Most first round QBs don't end up being any good.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Rating Sashi Brown's Drafted Players So Far

Link Copied to Clipboard