Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A little of both. Hogan entered the preseason as an afterthought. Would Kessler keep the #1? Would BO respond to a change of scenery? Would Kizer force his way into the starter role? Oh, and we have this other guy hanging around.

Kessler didn't, BO didn't, Kizer didn't so much force his way as much as won by default. And through it all, Hogan quietly performed well when given the chance. Now he has the job, and it's time to see if he can hold it.

I've said he reminds me of Hoyer. He's not a rare talent, but he has, so far, efficiently played Hue's system. We have a decent defense. If Hogan can get the offense to score some points and help keep the defense off the field, we may actually win a game or 3. Not because Hogan is a savior, but because he can be efficient within the system.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
That's what I've seen as well, but PFF! lol

Runs:

Right Side 39 135 3.5
Left Side 28 102 3.6
Middle 15 69 4.6

It looks like we're somewhat evenly distributed across the board except for run plays called up the middle.

I failed to add these two:

Runs to:

Left Sideline 14 76 5.4
Right Sideline 18 64 3.6

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Most teams run more to their right because they have right handed qbs and that is typically where the TE--or the blocking TE if there are more than one on the field--lines up.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I think Hogan made himself impossible to ignore for the starting job.

If Kizer didn’t suck so bad Hogan would have never seen the field ...

Hogan is the starter for the same reason Kizer was ... by default ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Most teams run more to their right because they have right handed qbs and that is typically where the TE--or the blocking TE if there are more than one on the field--lines up.

That's a great point. Do Defenses tend to react to that and stack the right a little more?

From being at the game vs the Jets - it was really noticeable just how much they were stacking the box. They didn't just commit 8 guys to the box - they were close to the line of scrimmage too. Didn't change one bit with Hogan in there either. I honestly think it's really hard to gauge the RB's and the OL's run blocking when so many of the plays are run with those 8 defenders crowding the line and little to know regard paid to our passing game.

We seem to have got faster on D overall - but we still don't seem to have a burner at WR - that would help, Coleman was supposed to be fast when healthy and Coates is supposed to have speed ... but I haven't seen that on game days and it is disappointing.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah, and until there's a legitimate passing threat that makes defenses back off, they'll continue to stack the box. Even the addition of a good passer probably won't make much difference until we have receivers that consistently get open and catch the ball. Right now, there's no need to be afraid of covering ours man to man.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Defenses typically put their SAM [which is strong side LBer---meaning the offense has more personnel on that side and it typically includes the TE and their SS [strong safety.]

The Sam and SS are typically more physical guys than the Will {Weak side linebacker] and FS. The latter two are more agile guys who can run better and are better in coverage.

Additionally, a lot of LDE's [which lines up on the right side of the offense are bigger, more stout, run-stopping guys while the quicker, faster, pass rushers line up on at RDE, or over the LT, so they won't face as many double teams and get caught in traffic while rushing the passer.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
pass rushers line up on at RDE, or over the LT, so they won't face as many double teams and get caught in traffic while rushing the passer.

They're also rushing a right handed QB's blind side (but facing the offense's best tackle).

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep, and that is why it is so important to find a good/great LT.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Speaking of which, how many more years do you figure JT has? I would think we'll spend (I hope, anyway) a high draft pick in the next couple years to get one. It would be great if we do it while Joe is still playing. I'd love to see the heir apparent study under him for a year or two. Or keep Joe as a coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good question. I don't know.

Lately, I've been thinking about how l Joe will want to play. I was thinking about drafting a LT and playing him at RT until Joe retires, but maybe Coleman is a good enough RT.

I really don't know what to think at this point. But, it's a very good question. The tough ones usually are. wink

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
To your point about Coleman, it's my hope they're not thinking he'll move over in time. They need to get ahead of it.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, he doesn't have the feet for LT.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
To your point about Coleman, it's my hope they're not thinking he'll move over in time. They need to get ahead of it.

I've read opinions that some believe he has the athleticism and agility to eventually play LT. He is quite athletic for a mauler type T. I like him at RT well-enough but don't see LT in him at the moment.

I agree that they need to be ahead of the curve when JT must be replaced...maybe way ahead of the curve.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have liked this guy since we drafted him and before that ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Did you watch a lot of Auburn football? He's a great story, but what impressed you most?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
1. Left side has been playing together Bitonio's entire career they are in sync.
2. We have not committed to the run.
Why?
3. Yes teams are gameplanning on stopping Croell and our run game. They ar attacking the gaps and pretty much saying QB beat us.
4. Play action should be good. I would like to see Hogan throw an early deep pass with positive results.
5. We have not had the flow on the O to have a successful running game although last week we started to show signs.

Run game is not the fault of the OL...we have not connected on ONE deep pass yet...once we do with some consistency...you will see a good run game.
Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc..

My concern about Shon Coleman is his durability.

He tore his right mcl in a Nov. 14, 2015 game, had knee surgery in Jan 2016. The Browns drafted him in the 3rd round, getting a bargain because S.Coleman was projected to be a 1st/2nd round pick.

Coleman was expected to cleared for workouts in mid april but the Browns held him out of mini camp. The Browns took a go slow, cautious approach with Coleman..he did play in the Browns last game.

Now after an off season and training camp, after 6 games Shon is again having trouble with his right knee. My concern is another knee surgery is a possibility, that would put Coleman out for the rest of the season.

Drafting players who already have injury issues, especially knee injuries, can be a risk. No matter how good the prospect is, if they can't stay on the field due to injury issues, they can't help your team improve.

Player durability is something that SPARQ testing and analytics can't project. Drafting players with an injury history is risky. Olineman like Joe Thomas or Mitch Schwartz, both have not missed a game..those are gems because they help their team by showing up every game..sometimes every snap (JT).

Drafting an "already injured" prospect can only help your team if they are able to "show up".

...Durability does have a value!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Legend
Legend
P
Did you watch a lot of Auburn football? He's a great story, but what impressed you most?

I really love his size and agility, I love his story but his durability is scary ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
He is physically impressive ...

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah he does look the part, but as you and mac have pointed out, durability will continue to be a big question mark.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
People forget that Joe Thomas messed up his knee playing DL at Wisconsin his JR season. It was either the last game or the bowl game. I had tuned in to watch.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Hard to equate one with the other. Until Shon plays ten years without missing a snap that is. wink

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Another week, another hold. What is it, four games in a row now?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Was it on him or was it on Telfer. Maybe it was on Coleman, I'm not sure. I know he got called for it. I did notice we ran more effectively to the right than to the left though. poke

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Another week, another hold. What is it, four games in a row now?

Young lineman hold. I'm not to worried about that. That will get better over time.

Was it on him or was it on Telfer. Maybe it was on Coleman, I'm not sure. I know he got called for it. I did notice we ran more effectively to the right than to the left though. poke

Right now I think Coleman is our best run blocker. Better than Bitonio. He still needs to improve his pass blocking, but he seems to get better at it every game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes they did run a little better to the right this game. Which brings up what I said about needing some time to gain continuity. Still not sold on Coleman as our RT for the long term. I do believe that it's four games in a row that he's had a holding penalty.

Now you can try to minimize that, explain it away or rationalize it, but it is what it is.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
It's dumb debating anything related to Shon Coleman. He's so far down on the list of issues it's pointless. He's not even an issue to begin with. He's exactly what we want all the young guys on this team to be ...progressing with each passing game.

These posts are so reminiscent of Schwartz. Why is it that fans think every position needs to be an all pro player for success?

P
Legend
Legend
P
An all pro? lmao

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Why is it that fans think every position needs to be an all pro player for success?

Because we can't seem to win with regular players. smirk

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'd settle for a regular player at RT. Regular players don't get holding penalties every game.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'd settle for a regular player at RT. Regular players don't get holding penalties every game.

Really, they all (NFL OL) hold, the refs could call someone on every play, and sometimes they focus on certain players ... so I don't know where you are going to find "Regular Players" that don't hold ... superconfused

P
Legend
Legend
P
Dear god man, there are ways to get away with it and ways to make it blatant. Her makes it blatant. That's why he gets called for it.

There's more excuses for players than calls for accountability. Unbelievable.

#gmstrong
L
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
L
so quiet you can almost hear the bonelady leaving at halftime

I`m good with Baker... Playoffs is good enough for me.
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
Your whole take on Coleman based on facts is quite an opposite view of reality.

Shon Coleman has played 422 snaps with 4 holds 2 false starts and illegal hands to the face. I think we can now agree that your perception of reality is false. Shon has 2 declined penaltys so when all is said and done he avgs 0.8 penaltys a game.

I get it you are in a hypercritical mood cus the team overall isn't doing well but this kid is basically a rookie and he has done a fairly decent job considering who he has been matched up against his first 6 games. Kizer has done him no favors when he runs his guy up the field cus 6 secs later guess who is still not paying attention and getting rid of the ball? Yep Mr DK. So while Shon is not going to the probowl this season how about we stop shifting the negativity of the season at a kid in his first full season of play.

Last edited by Wyo1975; 10/19/17 12:34 AM. Reason: changed due to declined pens
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Shon Coleman is an example of why I'm in favour of continuity for the front office and coaching staff. Last year he really did nothing for us, this year he is emerging as one of the brightest young offensive tackles in the NFL. He was an incredibly raw development piece who needed a year to get himself right, and thankfully Pasztor was able to fill in admirably while it happened.

I see us as having quite a few players who could develop in to something next year. This is especially true when the top end of our draft class was ultimately based on the upside they presented rather than their immediate preparedness.

The trade down for Peppers started it all. Blessed with the curse of athleticism, he was never given the opportunity to develop in to a natural safety role. Being a jack-of-all-trades is wonderful versatility but it does mean he never developed in any traditional role - and athleticism is just 1/3 of the puzzle in the NFL.

The same is true for Njoku, but the fact he's a baby also influences it. I remember a tweet on draft night joking that Njoku couldn't legally celebrate his accomplishment with a drink. He's flashed such incredible ability but he still needs time.

Kizer was the development quarterback of the draft. He was the most naturally gifted quarterback in the draft, but he was also the most raw, and he's a baby; nearly two years younger than Trubisky. Because he's such a big kid, it can be hard to remember that he's just a 21 year old kid out there taking on the NFL.

The same is true for the rest of the class.

Larry Ogunjobi has flashed but he's not quite ready for a larger role. He's been stout against the run and has shown some pass rushing proclivity, too.

Howard Wilson was amongst the best cornerbacks in college football but he only had one season under his belt: I couldn't count how many respected scouts I saw saying something along the lines of, "Howard Wilson should have stayed in school, he would have likely been a first round selection in 2018 with more tape."
get it done.

Shon Coleman has highlighted why I'm a big believer in being patient. You give these kids time to develop, even with a rough start, and next year you could be sitting here talking about the emergence of a bright spot on the roster - a bright spot who in spite of his tremendous play is only scratching the surface of his natural ability. We've seen what he looks like with some polish, but next year it will be more polish combined with experience and, potentially, scheme familiarity.

The problem for Shon is ultimately the same problem for a lot of these guys; it is currently individual talent that does not yet extend to a team dynamic. This is especially true of an offensive lineman, but the emergence of any player is destined to be quiet when the collective team doesn't make much noise and is silenced on a weekly basis by the deafening roar of teams who are better equipped to win now.

I'm very happy for Shon. Kid has an incredible story. Beat cancer, now he's beating NFL defensive ends and linebackers. Humble kid, very deserving. It is exciting during the rough periods to know that we have a lot of talented youngers who could still yet be something, and Shon Coleman's rise to being our solidified right tackle is an example of the possibilities.

Last edited by BDU; 10/19/17 02:42 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thank you for that Shon's mom! cool

Just kidding lol. You do make some very good points. Nice post thumbsup

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks, BDU. Good read; gives us a little hope for the near future. I also look forward to the development of Roderick Johnson; I expect these will be our bookend tackles soon...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 10/19/17 05:34 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
P
Legend
Legend
P
Quote:
this year he is emerging as one of the brightest young offensive tackles in the NFL.

rofl

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Most pressured allowed (through Week 6)

Giacomini 26
Odhiambo 25
Wetzel 22
S. Coleman 20
Veldheer 20
M Watson 19
G Robinson 19
Solder 19

https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/921402950735368192

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The quiet emergence of Shon Coleman

Link Copied to Clipboard