Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
B
Since the Browns are fairly unwatchable, I thought I'd start a thread on things you are doing (or would be doing) instead of watching terrible football.

Side note: I still do listen to the games, I'll have my Walkman on listening to Jim Donovan

So far this year I've dug out a 13x17 foot foundation for a utility shed, drained the hot water tank, gone for long bike rides, cut the grass, and today I plan on building one of those wooden mailbox protectors against the snow plow.

What say you?

Legend
Legend
I’m going LP shopping to add to my collection.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'll turn the game on the TV, only because I'm afraid if I don't this will be the game they win, but if they play like they have been I'll either change the channel or go about doing something else by halftime.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm watching unwatchable football, along with keeping an eye on my fantasy teams. After that, I'll probably watch some watchable football in the 4PM game.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I'm going to watch, but I will probably be doing other stuff..

Recently lost my job a week ago, so I will probably continue my job search. I also have a few pretty cool board games I am trying to learn.

I've reached the point of the year where I don't really get that angry about them anymore. They've kinda already taken out the hope of anything special, so I'm just hoping for improvement and some development of some of the younger guys. It's been tough. This team has nothing that they can hang their hat on other than Myles Garrett looks like a keeper.

Oh, and Duke Johnson is so friggin talented, yet they just can't figure out a way to get him touches.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hear ya, man. Sorry to hear about the job...good luck with the search.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
I hear ya, man. Sorry to hear about the job...good luck with the search.

thanks, it actually hasn't been as bad as I thought. Haven't been without a job since 2004.

1st String
1st String
What skills do you have?
Maybe we can send you a lead or two.
There is success in numbers.

Groza76

Go Browns, WIN or lose, forever!
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Groza76
What skills do you have?
Maybe we can send you a lead or two.
There is success in numbers.

I appreciate that. I don't have a degree or anything. My last job I was doing a ton of different stuff. A lot of SAP work. Setting up part numbers in various plants, creating new part numbers, creating bill of material for different kits, maintaining a database of vendor cross reference numbers, answering tons of emails. Helping customers from time to time with info.

Back in July, the company had a huge reduction, my boss basically restructured her entire department so nobody lost their job. She basically asked me to do my current job (which I had only been in for 2 months) while also doing my previous job (which also falls into our group). That job entailed a lot of digital imaging. Scanning old drawings, schematics, and various documents, and cleaning them up for digital archiving. I also prepared different drawing packages for our purchasing department to send out for quote. The last few months I was sitting at two different desks, monitoring four separate email inboxes, keeping up with three different request application databases, and still handling a service windor where engineers needed various requests.

A week and a half ago, our department had another huge reduction, and I was unfortuantely part of that one. No hard feelings. 13 Years was a really long time to be in one place, and it was awesome working there.

I basically started applying the day I was let go. I had an interview last Thursday that went really well, and I have another interview at a different company on Tuesday. It's actually nice to have some options. I thought at 35 with no degree, it'd be tough, but it's actually going well. I signed up for unemployment for the first time in my life, and I really don't think I will be on it very long.

So yeah, I guess my skills are some pretty decent SAP experience, some experience with various imaging programs, digital archiving experience, I'm a really fast typer. I am pretty good with Outlook. Decent with Excel, but I seem to pick up on it pretty quick. I have worked with Access a bunch and comfortable with its weirdness.

My first interview, the lady emailed me a bunch of tests that I could take for further review. I hit 10,000+ keystrokes per hour on the data entry (with no errors). 25 out of 30 on excel, 28 out of 30 on Outlook, 25 out of 30 on Word, and I hit 70 WPM with no errors, on a typing test (was a bit disappointed in that one, I was with the laptop on the couch and my dog was bugging me)

Now that my whole resume is out here (lol), I don't have the college education, but I'm pretty quick to learn, and can multitask.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Experience and skills trump degrees, IMO. Your resume is impressive - my guess is you'll be employed very quickly. Hang in there.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Good Luck Spergon.

If any of your interviewers want a reference, have them call me.

Legend
Legend
Damn, 70wpm is nothing to sneeze at. Good luck.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Means a lot. First couple days were rough. Had to go to a wedding a few days after and had no interest in being there. Total downer.

Felt so much better about things once I sat down for my first interview. The lady complimented my resume, offered to touch it up a bit, and thought I would really be a good fit for this job, it is a temp to hire with a logistics company, so she presented my information to them Friday.

I'm actually excited about Tuesday's interview too because it's a lot of what I was doing at my last job.

Can't wait to get back on my feet. I'm sick of sitting around, and I'm pretty anxious to dive into a new adventure.

Also, for anyone else who ends up in my position, Indeed is a really great place to start your job search. Well organized site, easy to navigate around, and there aren't a lot of spam accounts.

I updated my resume a few years ago and added it to one of the other career sites (may have been monster, stay away from monster) and kept constantly getting spammed with phone calls and emails from companies about selling insurance. I've never sold anything in my life outside of crap on ebay, and at 35, it's probably not wise to get into a commission-drive sales job. Especially with life insurance. Hard pass. Good luck to the folks who are doing that.

Indeed has been my number one spot though. Log in every morning with my coffee and just start going to town on the listings. Highly recommended.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Damn, 70wpm is nothing to sneeze at. Good luck.

lol, a lifetime of hockey and video games has built my hand-eye skills to superhuman levels hahaha.

I used to get on typershark.com and try to hammer my score. Don't even know if that's still around anymore. Took a test last year and hit 90 with no errors.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm trying really hard not to rip someones face off on another forum.

I will not do it.
I will not do it.
I will not do it.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
I tested myself not long ago and got 40+ wpm. It felt like my fingers were flying, lol. I am missing my right index finger, though.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Legend
Legend
S
I tested myself not long ago and got 40+ wpm. It felt like my fingers were flying, lol. I am missing my right index finger, though.

I believe 40pm is clerical level, so that's still pretty good.

What happened to your finger? Damn

Legend
Legend
Lawnmower accident when I was a teenager. My latest job requires a lot of typing, and it has given me tons of respect for those that did this stuff before word processors.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Lawnmower accident when I was a teenager. My latest job requires a lot of typing, and it has given me tons of respect for those that did this stuff before word processors.

That's interesting.

I worked with a Dan Menzner back in 1982 who was missing half a finger (I forget which one).

He told me the story.

His dad was mowing the grass and he went running over to him. The grass was moist, he slipped and hand went under the mower.

Yeouch!

PS. Back in 2013 I took state vocational PC classes to help "get with the program". I worked pretty hard at my keyboarding skills and got to ~ 30 words per minute with tolerably few errors.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I watched the game. I always watch the game.

However, early this morning I was in the kitchen making coffee and it was a beautiful morning and I was staring out the window at the yard and pool.........and I thought:
"Damn, I have to watch the Browns today." What a downer moment.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I watched the game. I always watch the game.

However, early this morning I was in the kitchen making coffee and it was a beautiful morning and I was staring out the window at the yard and pool.........and I thought:
"Damn, I have to watch the Browns today." What a downer moment.

That's every Sunday!

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: boofers20
Since the Browns are fairly unwatchable, I thought I'd start a thread on things you are doing (or would be doing) instead of watching terrible football.

Side note: I still do listen to the games, I'll have my Walkman on listening to Jim Donovan

So far this year I've dug out a 13x17 foot foundation for a utility shed, drained the hot water tank, gone for long bike rides, cut the grass, and today I plan on building one of those wooden mailbox protectors against the snow plow.

What say you?

I went on a planned motorcycle ride with a few buddies. One of few group rides, but it was x100 better than watching us go lose again. So thankful I enjoyed the beautiful weather out.

Stopped out and spent some time with my Mom, too. I love that woman.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I went to Columbus, IN this weekend to watch my 12yo daughter play 6 games of softball. Then drove back tonight, no Browns game for me, only seen 2 so far this season because of her playing on Sundays. In years past I would feel like I’m really missing something. Not this year for some reason.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

What did you find?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

What did you find?

I did good today. Donald Fagen’s Night Fly and Alan Parson’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination of Edgar Alan Poe.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I mowed the lawn and spent the rest of the day in my shop making a cane for my neighbor. He is a Viet Nam vet and is not getting around so good. I have not watched football since the crybabies started kneeling. Somebody sent me a picture of the stadium. Half empty. I wonder if the players will give back half their pay?

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I went to a Pre-Game for the Timbers (Portland pro soccer team) and the game was on the tube, we left the bar before the Browns game was over.

Great news on my other team though, the Timbers won 2-1 and won the conference. First seed in the playoffs is always nice. Maybe they can do what the women did and win the championship smile

Legend
Legend
I was watching the Browns, and other NFL games just like I do EVERY Sunday during football season.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

What did you find?

I did good today. Donald Fagen’s Night Fly and Alan Parson’s Tales of Mystery and Imagination of Edgar Alan Poe.

that's pretty cool. How big is your collection?

Legend
Legend
It's not very large, a little more than 100. I pulled my 35 year old turntable out of mothballs and after playing it decided to upgrade it and that reinvigorated my interest in vinyl.

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I was watching the Browns, and other NFL games just like I do EVERY Sunday during football season.

Same here my friend.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Not me, today I find something entertaining to do rather than aggravating to watch.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well they're not playing today. So there's that. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have missed 1 game in over 18 yrs. And I was in the Hospital.
I've had the sunday tkt. for over 16 yrs. I've cancel it once and re-upped a few weeks later. However, a couple of weeks ago I called DTV because they forgot to charge me for the tkt. The guy wanted to know if I wanted to cancel, I said I didn't think I could because the season was well under way. He said sure you can and told me how much my payment would be each month. I decided to go ahead and cancel. My wife always gives me down the road about paying for the tkt. anyway. With all the hospital bills anyway I could use the 50 dollars savings a month anyway.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
Legend
Legend
I watched the game.. enjoyed my 3 hours out of the house at the bar... It was good that this one was, at least, in doubt for the full 3 hours....

I find I have very little interest in watching other games though... they don't affect us, if they play poorly I don't want to watch, and if they play well I just count the impact players on their teams that we could have had, but don't... It's not really enjoyable at all.

yebat' Putin
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
I watched the game.. enjoyed my 3 hours out of the house at the bar... It was good that this one was, at least, in doubt for the full 3 hours....

I find I have very little interest in watching other games though... they don't affect us, if they play poorly I don't want to watch, and if they play well I just count the impact players on their teams that we could have had, but don't... It's not really enjoyable at all.

Yeah, I'm kinda in the same boat. I don't really watch much NFL outside of the Browns, and yes definitely, the fact that we are at rock-bottom of a multi-decade nightmare, plays into it.

It just seems like guys are getting hurt a larger rate now. You flip on a game and every other play someone is down. Think about all the great players that have gone down this year.

If you take away the Browns, and take away the Buckeyes, my football interest is a lot more invested into college football. I think the product is better. The presentation is far and away better, and I think the rules differences in college allow for a little more creativity.

Legend
Legend
Some pretty pay-worthy skills you put up there.

Good luck with the job search. Let us know. Just go ahead and get rich. That'll show 'em!
Seriously, I hope something better is coming.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
E
Legend
Legend
E
The main things I like about college football are:

-The packed stadiums full of rabid fans and loud marching band music. College football wins on atmosphere alone.

-The South is a lot more about college football than the NFL. They seem more passionate about that then the NFL.

-The OT system is more fun to watch.

Things I dont like about College Football:

-So many games are blowouts, it makes me flip the channel.

-I dont care for their ranking/playoff system that much.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
We are going to have a good fire Sunday. Hopefully be reviewing a Browns shocker. But we will have pizza, brews, and a cozy moment. Not sure how this one is watchable. Rumors of our bar opening for breakfast. Maybe the Brits won't let us in . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Some pretty pay-worthy skills you put up there.

Good luck with the job search. Let us know. Just go ahead and get rich. That'll show 'em!
Seriously, I hope something better is coming.

ha, thank you man!

I have an interview tomorrow and wednesday. I am really hoping tomorrow's interview goes well, because it's a job that really fits what I was doing previous, and it's a direct hire. It's also about a 15 minute drive from me, and in an awesome area.

The other job is a temp-to hire job, near O'Hare. If things work out, I could get hired in, but there is the risk of the period ending and I am again looking for a job.

Whether you pray, or you cross your fingers, or whatever, just think of me around noon tomorrow. I'm really anxious to sit down with this place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum What are you doing this Sunday?

Link Copied to Clipboard