Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
CalDawg #1339945 10/24/17 11:05 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
j/c

I don't think I'd rule out Garoppolo.

I think the Patriots could put the non-exclusive franchise tag on him because they could get a hefty haul from a desperate team (us). Two firsts I believe?

I think we'd be in a much better position to make this type of decision than we were 2 years ago. If they felt Garoppolo was the guy that is... some are higher on him than I but even if he doesn't work out in the long run, he'd supply us with something better than we have right now. Plus we have plethora of 2nd round picks to continue to build our team through the draft.

If they think Tom Brady could play another 3-4 years then I think this type of move works for everyone, especially if Jimmy can be the man in Cleveland.

It could also be a reason why we are trying to make sure we are set on payroll when the time comes. We also have the most current players signed through 2020. We are actually setting ourselves up for the near future more than anyone realizes. However, the one glitch in all this is that we are headed for the #1 overall pick again, which could throw a wrench in these plans.

Last edited by devicedawg; 10/24/17 11:06 AM.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Look how the Pats develop their QBs. That Brissett kid walked into Indy and is light years more than anything we have or have had. He's made the name of Luck almost a whisper in the wind.

I say we take whatever QB NE has if they still won't part with JG. It'll be better than anything we draft, develop and etc.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NFL GM on overrated 2018 QB draft class: 'The production isn't there'
12 / 25

Sporting News
Kristian Dyer

A quarterback might not be selected within the top five picks of the 2018 NFL Draft.

So says one NFL general manager who instead views a running back, Penn State's Saquon Barkley, as the potential first overall pick.
Preseason buzz was centered around the idea that three college quarterbacks — USC's Sam Darnold, UCLA's Josh Rosen and Wyoming's Josh Allen — had the potential to be drafted within the first three picks. But none have stood out thus far in the 2017 season.

"Right now, this isn't a draft where you see a quarterback go top three like everyone was saying, or maybe even top five,” the GM told Sporting News, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "The production isn't there from anyone, and we are what, five, six or seven games in? You don't see it."

Darnold in 2017 has passed for 2,292 yards, 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions through eight games. Rosen has thrown for 2,620 yards, 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions through seven games. Allen has produced 1,216 yards, eight touchdowns and six interceptions through seven games.

"Right now, Darnold may not be coming out, and he was the one with all the hype," the GM said. "You see him on film, he doesn't seem settled in the pocket. He's not secure with the ball, he wasn't throwing those interceptions last year. Is he a first round kid? Yeah, I could see that. But he might benefit from another season at USC.

"Rosen — this is a tough one. I'm not sure a lot of teams are going to be crazy about him after this year. He hasn't handled the spotlight well. You want maturity from a quarterback. I still think Andrew Luck was that prototypical guy a few years back, Deshaun Watson this past draft. They were poised and polished. (Rosen's) comments on school were worrisome. If he thinks he has to study now in college, in the NFL that workload is triple."

As for Allen, the GM added, "It hasn't been an easy start. The Combine and his Pro Day are going to be key. He might be falling out of the first round. I just don't know. He'll need to impress in his workouts. There are some good pieces there."

When asked about players on the rise in terms of draft stock, the GM was clear: Barkley has gained the attention of NFL talent evaluators.

"I think he has a shot to be No. 1 — he's that good," the GM said of the star running back. “He's carried Penn State. He can do it all. A lot of teams, I think, are going to look at what the Cowboys did a couple of years ago with (Ezekiel Elliott) and how they moved up in the draft to get him. To me, Barkley is that guy, the top player in the draft right now. He’s a workhorse, he doesn't lose the football.

"A team in the playoffs or almost right there could move up for him, trade a lot of picks. He'll put you over the top. Some team like the Cowboys did are going to be willing to overpay because he can make a middle of the pack team into a contender." Link

-----------------------------------------------
If I had to take a QB in the first, right now I would look at Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph but I can probably get one of them with Houston's pick. Free agency would be my preferred route for a QB resolution.

What we do with #1, anybody's guess but Barkley may be the best player in this draft and I hate first round RBs.

Mourgrym #1340060 10/24/17 02:31 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Ki-Jana Carter?

Rookie
Rookie
Should sign Kaepernick he is by far hands down better than any QB we have had since Kosar!
a Veteren like this can give time for Kizer to grow up and learn! I know the Kaepernick antics are overwhelming but just take a good look at the trainwreck we are experiencing now!

Last edited by 86hunter; 10/24/17 02:36 PM.

Results not Excuses Marty Schottenheimer 1984
86hunter #1340063 10/24/17 02:38 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: 86hunter
Should sign Kaepernick he is by far hands down better than any QB we have had since Kosar!
a Veteren like this can give time for Kizer to grow up and learn! I know the Kaepernick antics are overwhelming but just take a good look at the trainwreck we are experiencing now!

I kinda hope the Browns do sign Kap, would give me a very good reason to never watch another Browns game.

Mourgrym #1340067 10/24/17 02:45 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
We're top five, so if that one GM is right and no QB worthy of it - we're screwed. I say, regardless, we pick the best QB.

I know nothing much outside JT Barrett, so I'm loving a lot of the names already being thrown around and some of the opinions.

Helps me big time.

Mourgrym #1340088 10/24/17 03:14 PM
Rookie
Rookie
That's why we all have opinions I guess, Of course I am assuming you are thrilled with the QB situation we have on the field now and are excited to watch this mess every Sunday ?

Results not Excuses Marty Schottenheimer 1984
cfrs15 #1340144 10/24/17 04:14 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Kirk Cousins
Jimmy Garoppolo
Drew Brees
Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater
Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Tyrod Taylor

I don't think Cousins would even consider us. The 49ers are already said to be the favorite (if Washington lets him go finally).

I would put money on the Patriots franchising Garoppolo.

There is a 0% chance Brees would ever consider signing with a team that is in our current situation.

Bradford and Bridgewater are both major injury risks. If Bridgewater can play this season and look competent he is an interesting option (but my guess is that the Vikings would try to keep him). Teddy Bridgewater is somehow only 25 years old (he turns 25 on November 10th).

Alex Smith is probably the best, most realistic option of this group. But, again, I have a hard time seeing him going to a team that is perpetually very stinky when there are so many better options.

A.J. McCarron, if we still have Hue Jackson, seems like the best bet out of this group. No one knows how good he is, but I don't think the ceiling is very high.

I think Tyrod Taylor is pretty good and I don't see Buffalo letting him go after exceeding expectations this season.

I agree on Taylor.

Regarding Jimmy G though:
1) do you see exclusive or non-exclusive franchise tag? I think BB might go non-exclusive to drop the price, knowing that he still has a chance to match any contract offer given to Jimmy G, and gets 2 first rounders if he doesn't match.

2) as desperate as we may be, and as much as we seemed to want him this past offseason - do you see the Browns offering Jimmy G a contract if he is given the non-exclusive?

My 2 cents - based on how much press we got in relation to Jimmy G and we made several trades to get addtional picks, I wonder if the FO had this scenario on the back of their minds if whomever they picked (Kizer, as we know now) didn't work out. I'm not saying the 5 year $75-100M contract and 2 first rounders is worth it btw.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Sam will stay in school but I don't think it's because he's afraid of being drafted by the Browns. He just isn't ready for the NFL yet.

Mourgrym #1340185 10/24/17 04:46 PM
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
NFL GM on overrated 2018 QB draft class: 'The production isn't there'
12 / 25

Sporting News
Kristian Dyer

A quarterback might not be selected within the top five picks of the 2018 NFL Draft.

So says one NFL general manager who instead views a running back, Penn State's Saquon Barkley, as the potential first overall pick.
Preseason buzz was centered around the idea that three college quarterbacks — USC's Sam Darnold, UCLA's Josh Rosen and Wyoming's Josh Allen — had the potential to be drafted within the first three picks. But none have stood out thus far in the 2017 season.

"Right now, this isn't a draft where you see a quarterback go top three like everyone was saying, or maybe even top five,” the GM told Sporting News, speaking on the condition of anonymity. "The production isn't there from anyone, and we are what, five, six or seven games in? You don't see it."

Darnold in 2017 has passed for 2,292 yards, 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions through eight games. Rosen has thrown for 2,620 yards, 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions through seven games. Allen has produced 1,216 yards, eight touchdowns and six interceptions through seven games.

"Right now, Darnold may not be coming out, and he was the one with all the hype," the GM said. "You see him on film, he doesn't seem settled in the pocket. He's not secure with the ball, he wasn't throwing those interceptions last year. Is he a first round kid? Yeah, I could see that. But he might benefit from another season at USC.

"Rosen — this is a tough one. I'm not sure a lot of teams are going to be crazy about him after this year. He hasn't handled the spotlight well. You want maturity from a quarterback. I still think Andrew Luck was that prototypical guy a few years back, Deshaun Watson this past draft. They were poised and polished. (Rosen's) comments on school were worrisome. If he thinks he has to study now in college, in the NFL that workload is triple."

As for Allen, the GM added, "It hasn't been an easy start. The Combine and his Pro Day are going to be key. He might be falling out of the first round. I just don't know. He'll need to impress in his workouts. There are some good pieces there."

When asked about players on the rise in terms of draft stock, the GM was clear: Barkley has gained the attention of NFL talent evaluators.

"I think he has a shot to be No. 1 — he's that good," the GM said of the star running back. “He's carried Penn State. He can do it all. A lot of teams, I think, are going to look at what the Cowboys did a couple of years ago with (Ezekiel Elliott) and how they moved up in the draft to get him. To me, Barkley is that guy, the top player in the draft right now. He’s a workhorse, he doesn't lose the football.

"A team in the playoffs or almost right there could move up for him, trade a lot of picks. He'll put you over the top. Some team like the Cowboys did are going to be willing to overpay because he can make a middle of the pack team into a contender." Link

-----------------------------------------------
If I had to take a QB in the first, right now I would look at Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph but I can probably get one of them with Houston's pick. Free agency would be my preferred route for a QB resolution.

What we do with #1, anybody's guess but Barkley may be the best player in this draft and I hate first round RBs.

I agree with this article. I don't like the 2018 QB class. I know the Browns need a QB desperately but I wouldn't draft one with the first pick in 2018. I would take Saquon Barkley.

clwb419 #1340188 10/24/17 05:04 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
as desperate as we may be, and as much as we seemed to want him this past offseason - do you see the Browns offering Jimmy G a contract if he is given the non-exclusive?

That would mean giving up the first or second pick in the draft. I don't see that as a possibility at all. If anything I could see the Patriots working out a separate trade like they did with Matt Cassel and the Chiefs.

I just don't see the Patriots letting Garoppolo go. His value was never higher then it was last off-season and they didn't budge.

cfrs15 #1340215 10/24/17 06:20 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
as desperate as we may be, and as much as we seemed to want him this past offseason - do you see the Browns offering Jimmy G a contract if he is given the non-exclusive?

That would mean giving up the first or second pick in the draft. I don't see that as a possibility at all. If anything I could see the Patriots working out a separate trade like they did with Matt Cassel and the Chiefs.

I just don't see the Patriots letting Garoppolo go. His value was never higher then it was last off-season and they didn't budge.

Agreed. I'm not sure how the picks work other than 2 first rounders...could we give up our Houston pick and our first rounder next year? I don't want this to happen, just wondering.

Frankly my choices would be Tyrod or Alex Smith (likely he'll be available) at this point and not take a QB at 1 overall. Breese maybe too. Alex and Drew would be a couple year rentals, so drafting a QB early might be required. Tyrod maybe not.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Vers, I wasn't giving the front office a pass and I wasn't offering analysis. But to be honest, I was thinking of you when I remembered posters who always say no QB is worth a first pick and claim to have deep insight because they once coached Pop Warner or were all-backyard in high school. I could be wrong, but you were convinced Wentz wasn't going to be a franchise QB.
Why are you so obnoxious to people on the board? You could stop tomorrow. We're all just fans of the same miserable team, and we're just venting and sharing our thoughts.

The Big G #1340303 10/24/17 08:16 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Probably because I found your original post obnoxious and insulting.

Pop Warner..........LOL...........that's honest conversation.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
does anyone really think that the Pats will let Jimmy G. go now that Brisset is gone?

Brady can't play forever and right now Jimmy G is there future imo.

if the 2018 QB class is not that great as some are eluding too...Why would the Pats trade Jimmy G and draft ...who? to replace him...

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
and to add to that, this last sunday I heard a commentator say that the Pats want 3 1st round picks for him...

not sure if that is true or not...but sounds about right to me.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Kirk Cousins
Jimmy Garoppolo
Drew Brees
Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater
Alex Smith
AJ McCarron
Tyrod Taylor

If I were being honest with myself and making a list of QBs that will absolutely not be on the Browns, this would be a terrific start. Save for maybe McCarron, but his ceiling is long-term back-up QB, so he's inconsequential.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
does anyone really think that the Pats will let Jimmy G. go now that Brisset is gone?

if the 2018 QB class is not that great as some are eluding too...Why would the Pats trade Jimmy G and draft ...who? to replace him...

Garropolo is a FA after this season, so they can't trade him unless it's right now. After the season, they can tag him, sign him to a big deal, let him walk, or let Brady walk. There's a decent chance he signs elsewhere

cle23 #1340416 10/25/17 01:18 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cle23

Garropolo is a FA after this season, so they can't trade him unless it's right now. After the season, they can tag him, sign him to a big deal, let him walk, or let Brady walk. There's a decent chance he signs elsewhere

although what you say is true. I just don't see the Pats letting him leave...to draft who? to replace him?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
WHAT IF..Kizer is afforded time to develop?

Kizer is the youngest QB in the NFL and had only 23 college starts. Kizer had "two more years" of eligibility left when he opted to move on to the NFL.

The Browns didn't exactly set the table to draft a young QB prospect, cutting Josh McCown and leaving Kessler and Hogan as the Browns most experienced veterans to help tutor a young prospect.

To make matters worse, Kizer won the starting job in the preseason, thus no time to relax and learn a bit more slowly than being thrown right into the fire.

Fans expect miracles but given the support around Kizer, this will be a rough year for him.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
I desperately wanted Jimmy G to come to the Browns. I have no proof of this, but I think we did try to trade for him.

I also think NE is going to keep him and that makes me sad.

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: cle23

although what you say is true. I just don't see the Pats letting him leave...to draft who? to replace him?

Right, the Pats have a tough decision to make. If they have the cap room, they can give up FA upgrades for long term security at QB and tag him until Brady retires, but I doubt he signs an extension to be a backup for a couple more years.

Mourgrym #1340508 10/25/17 09:41 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E

We hear this every off draft and then come draft day these guys go well before the Journalists ASSumptions Note Wentz, one year as starter, No competition, yada yada, doesn't belong in top 5 QB...They say this every year.

College good or bad is not the evaluation. They are going off of their college results right now. Not accuracy, not arm strength, not ability to learn NFL Defenses and make proper reads.

No Sam Darnold is not having a great year like Matt Leinart...but his skill set should be better. You can't go on college RESULTS. Just like Watson supposedly had a worse season in 2016 from his 2015 season so he was not a top 5 pick...lol laugh

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Garoppolo is the guy if he can be had.

In my mind there can be no doubt about that.

Have no idea about Darnold coming out or not. But those who would turn their back on him because of stats this year; will curse the day they came to that conclusion.

At this point not really interested in any of the others but that may change.

I want a back up plan but I have not given up on Kizer.

Looking at the complete picture of Kizer now and how he got here along with the state of the Browns. You just don't throw in the towel on the kid yet.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't think the patriots let him leave without compensation. That's why the non-exclusive tag is probably the one that makes the most sense. Enter Cleveland desperate for a QB and we get Garoppolo for 2 first rounders. I think what we've been thru the last 20+ years, that's a cheap price. Assuming of course we believe Garoppolo is the guy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I don't think the patriots let him leave ....

As this is a "What If' thread, let's think outside the box. Say the Pats will not let JG go, but are willing to repeat a Drew Bledsoe deal. Trade Brady to us for ...? They solve their JG dilemma and we get Brady for 2 seasons. TB instantly becomes the starter and Kizer/Hogan (whoever) sits and learns and should be ready in 2 seasons.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think the patriots let him leave without compensation. That's why the non-exclusive tag is probably the one that makes the most sense. Enter Cleveland desperate for a QB and we get Garoppolo for 2 first rounders. I think what we've been thru the last 20+ years, that's a cheap price. Assuming of course we believe Garoppolo is the guy.

I think I heard somewhere that the Pats want 3 1st rounders for Jimmy G.

P
Legend
Legend
P

lol a 2nd rd. pick that has played very little. I'm sure someone will jump all over that one rofl

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

lol a 2nd rd. pick that has played very little. I'm sure someone will jump all over that one rofl

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

lol yea if they're asking for 3 1st rounders then that just tells me that they have interest in letting him go.

oops I meant no interest.

Last edited by dawgpound101; 10/25/17 03:10 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If he is as good as people say he is and no one really knows yet he may worth a 1st and a 2nd but nothing more at this point ... JMHO

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I'd give up two first for JG in a heartbeat. To be honest though I think they will franchise him this year at the very least. That gives them one more year with Brady before they are forced to make a tough choice. I actually think Tom loses out and gets cut after next season if JG doesn't get traded first.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Brown's fans are very smart.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Brown's fans are very smart.

Keep telling yourself that and it might come true thumbsup

Might have to make that my morning mantra.

(I think I'm agreeing with you for the record)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I'd give up two first for JG in a heartbeat. To be honest though I think they will franchise him this year at the very least. That gives them one more year with Brady before they are forced to make a tough choice. I actually think Tom loses out and gets cut after next season if JG doesn't get traded first.

I think we probably offered two firsts for JG.

T
Ten Offline
Rookie
Rookie
T
Chase Daniel from New Orleans Saints

Ten #1343028 10/29/17 04:02 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ten

This is hilarious and sad.

Ten #1343053 10/29/17 04:54 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ten

C u in two weeks ... *LOL* ..

Dawg_LB #1343369 10/30/17 12:22 AM
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns

I think we probably offered two firsts for JG.

Oh we did, but now they will have more pressure to trade.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum What if? QBs

Link Copied to Clipboard