Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I put this here because this is at the heart of identity politics. So if a black kid wanted to be say superman or batman, he should not be allowed to dress up as them? Everything on the left is about being a negative connotation.....how about that you had a good kids movie that people enjoyed, and now you have white kids that WANT to dress up as a different race character! Isnt that a good thing???

Link

From Redbook

It's mid-October, which means Halloween is just two weeks away, which means it's way past time to decide on a Halloween costume for your kid. Chances are, you have a child that is enamored with all things Disney and wants to be all of the princesses. All of them! Especially Moana.

The New York Post recently highlighted an article on raceconscious.org about how that's probably not a good choice if your kid is white, and revealed that "moms are freaking out" over the culturally appropriative costume. Needless to say, the Post's coverage has only amplified the debate around what does, and doesn't, constitute cultural appropriation. Last year, Disney came under fire for its Maui costume, which depicted the demigod's painted brown skin. The company ultimately pulled the costume in response to the uproar, telling Entertainment Weekly in a statement that "The team behind Moana has taken great care to respect the cultures of the Pacific Islands that inspired the film, and we regret that the Maui costume has offended some." The Maui question may have been settled, but this year, there are plenty of tweets out there asking the internet (and Lin-Manuel Miranda) if it's OK to dress as Moana for Halloween.

The original article, written by Sachi Feris, discusses how her white daughter was torn between dressing as Elsa, from Frozen, or the titular character from Moana. Feris expresses concern that while an Elsa costume might reinforce notions of white privilege, dressing up as Moana is essentially cultural appropriation - the act of reducing someone's culture to stereotypes, and thereby belittling it. Though Feris puzzles over how one might wear a Moana costume respectfully, she ultimately decides it just isn't a good idea.

At this point, you might be saying something like: "But, I dressed up as Jasmine as a child, and I'm not a racist!", or, "It's just a Halloween costume, please chill the f*ck out." But one of the best things about time is that it moves forward. You should too. You can (and should) strive to be better than you were 10, 20, or 30 years ago. If you missed the mark when you were younger, maybe think about using this Halloween as an opportunity to teach your kids about the importance of cultural sensitivity. If your child's dream costume feels questionable, don't just throw up your hands and hand over your credit card. You're the parent here, and the onus of what your child wears falls on you. If your kid wears a racist costume … you're kind of wearing it too.

If your kid wears a racist costume, you're kind of wearing it too.

Recognize this: Moana is a really special character to young girls of Polynesian descent who have never seen a Disney Princess who looks like them, just like how Tiana from The Princess and the Frog likely resonated with young Black women who had waited decades to see themselves represented. White girls have plenty of princesses to choose from - there's Belle, Ariel, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty … you get the idea. If your Caucasian son or daughter doesn't get to be exactly what they wanted for Halloween, encourage them to take a step back and realize that they're awash in privileges that the real Moanas and Tianas of the world will likely never see, because the world is full of racist assholes.

And those assholes are becoming even more empowered. Our President is a hate group apologist who tries to ban refugees from seeking asylum in our country, simply because of their faith. Meanwhile, Black Americans continue to be killed by police, and antisemitic voices feel louder and more powerful than they have in decades.

So what does this have to do with a seemingly innocent princess costume? Pretty much everything. It's important to align with, and stand up for, people of color and minorities, and a key part of that is showing respect for their cultures. To pretend to be a racial, ethnic, or religious minority when you're not makes light of their history - and reinforces a deeply problematic power dynamic, wherein white people use, then discard, pieces of cultures they've subjugated for centuries just because they can.

To clarify: No one is telling you to ban your child from belting out Moana songs in your living room. They're good songs! Moana is a powerful, phenomenal Disney heroine who relies on more than just her CGI perfection to save the day. But there's no better time than when a kid is in their formative years to teach them that it's not OK to mock other people's cultures. That's the sort of attitude that will ultimately bleed into the way they behave and think as they get older - do they respect the personhood of those unlike themselves, or is their only concern doing whatever they think is fun? (For what it's worth, Fijian Emmaline Matagi suggests using a kid's desire to be Moana or Maui as an opportunity to teach them about actual Polynesian culture. She concedes that she understands why kids would want to dress as Moana, but instead suggests that they make their own outfits, without attempting to recreate "designs [they] think are Polynesian." After all, she writes, "my culture is not a costume.")

A Halloween costume is a small, easy way to introduce these issues in a way that a child's yet-to-be-fully-brain can process. This isn't about putting a damper on your kid's creativity; it's about exercising sensitivity towards anyone who doesn't get to choose how the world at large sizes them up. Whether or not your kids get that is up to you.

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
A Halloween costume is a small, easy way to introduce these issues in a way that a child's yet-to-be-fully-brain can process.
anyone else read this sentence as "this is an easy way indoctrinate children and force our VIEWS on everyone else without them even knowing it...."

Legend
Legend
Fascism will control every aspect of our lives eventually.

If we let it that is.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
lol didn't realize redbook was a liberal magazine :ROFL:

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
never said it was, but the author obviously is.......

and you think this is not a liberal way of thinking? rofl

Legend
Legend
While I understand and actually agree with you on how ridiculous this particular instance is, I hope you understand where this mentality comes from and why it’s important to at least think about what they’re saying.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

Funny how you're the only one talking about idpol on this forum. You keep saying liberals talk about it, but I never see any of the pacific northwest dawgs talk about it, swish, nor clem talk about it. All I see is you talk about idpol. Funny how I never see you talk about the violence on the right... Which is a direct result of the right's focus on idpol.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

If we let it that is.

Yet you rally against the groups who peacefully protest against Fascism.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral

If we let it that is.

Yet you rally against the groups who peacefully protest against Fascism.

Antifa doesnt really fall in that group. We all know how you support Antifa.

No Craps Given
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Swish
While I understand and actually agree with you on how ridiculous this particular instance is, I hope you understand where this mentality comes from and why it’s important to at least think about what they’re saying.

Heres my problem with that Swish, and take left and right out of this.

The goal is equality, inclusiveness, and a better understanding of one another when it comes to races/differences, correct?

So wouldn't it make sense that having a little white girl wanting to dress up as another race character, or a little black girl wanting to dress up as white character, a good thing? Or the fact parents don't care if their kids want to dress up as another race character?

Now putting left and right BACK into it.....all the left talks about it white supremacist, and the right are nothing but bigots and racist, yet its the left that gets upset when a white girl wants to wear a person of colors costume for Halloween.........smh

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W

Funny how you're the only one talking about idpol on this forum. You keep saying liberals talk about it, but I never see any of the pacific northwest dawgs talk about it, swish, nor clem talk about it. All I see is you talk about idpol. Funny how I never see you talk about the violence on the right... Which is a direct result of the right's focus on idpol.
the left has made a effort to turn every election into identity politics, every election, every issue....

everywhere you look, the left wants more and more seclusion from other races and to keep us divided into groups and segregated.

Legend
Legend
I think people are just worried about what could happen.

We’ve seen people do black face for Halloween, grown adults. Not ok. It’s why I blasted my boy for doing white face a few years ago. However hilarious it might be, it’s not ok.

Now obviously kids don’t understand those sorts of dynamics and dressing up like Moana should be perfectly fine. However I believe the adults who host <insert themed Halloween party> Like Native American tribes in such do it in such a way that it ends up being derogatory.

So I will end this off with: it just depends on how the situation plays out on if it’s harmless or derogatory. With kids it mostly leans harmless. With certain adults, we’ve all seen it bro come on.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

the left has made a effort to turn every election into identity politics, every election, every issue....

everywhere you look, the left wants more and more seclusion from other races and to keep us divided into groups and segregated.

Yes, that is what the alt-right has been saying for years. Idpol is actually the reason you see a lot of people become alt-right.

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W

We’ve seen people do black face for Halloween, grown adults. Not ok. It’s why I blasted my boy for doing white face a few years ago. However hilarious it might be, it’s not ok.

Now obviously kids don’t understand those sorts of dynamics and dressing up like Moana should be perfectly fine. However I believe the adults who host <insert themed Halloween party> Like Native American tribes in such do it in such a way that it ends up being derogatory.

So I will end this off with: it just depends on how the situation plays out on if it’s harmless or derogatory. With kids it mostly leans harmless. With certain adults, we’ve all seen it bro come on.

Black face was racist from the day it started, come on swish your now comparing black face to moana......

And we are not talking about Blackface or adult Halloween parties, we are talking about a Disney KIDS costume .....that is specifically what the article is talking about. Do you not see how this honestly has nothing to do with race, yet you instantly brought up black face or adult parties? Where is the correlation between the two? That is IDENTITY POLITICS in its essence.

Legend
Legend
Please don’t lose sight with the fact that LITERALLY just agreed with you with regards to kids and Moana.

Because you aren’t paying attention right now. My reasoning for bringing the other stuff up is to explain to you WHY there’s certain people who worry about Moana dress up, regardless if you agree or not.

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Black face was racist from the day it started, come on swish your now comparing black face to moana......

From the article:
Last year, Disney came under fire for its Maui costume, which depicted the demigod's painted brown skin.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Also lol @ the right for getting so triggered by clickbait material. I had no idea what Redbook was before this, but now I know that this is the most bland fashion/cooking magazine in the world. It's if your wife/girlfriend's Good Housekeeping started taking xanax and drinking white wine. What type of magazine publishes a story about Halloween costumes a week before Halloween and a week after everyone's bought their costume? One that needs ad revenue. Looks like everyone fell hook, line and sinker for that.

Legend
Legend
My oldest daughter wants to go as Michael Myers.

My youngest wants to go as the bride of chuckie.

They don’t play that soft Disney crap.

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
My oldest daughter wants to go as Michael Myers.

My youngest wants to go as the bride of chuckie.

They don’t play that soft Disney crap.

I'm going as the Pope naughtydevil

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
It's about time this board had a decent Halloween thread.

I wanna go to parties as Spock again.

Legend
Legend
I'm masquerading as a competent musician.
(I've had lots of practice over the years...)

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
I'm going as Lady Godiva again sick

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I'm going as Uranus.

Legend
Legend
That will scare the crap out of everybody thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Looks like everyone fell hook, line and sinker for that.

Just like the folks who voted for Trump believing he actually cared about them?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have a 3 yr old granddaughter that insists she is Moana.

She could care less about Elsa.

Blond hair and blue eyes she has a lot of Moana in her, Elsa, not so much.

Kids figure out things far easier than adults.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Kids figure out things far easier than adults.

...and they're usually closer to The Truth than the adults who seek to 'educate' them-

Legend
Legend
I'm going as Uranus.

Epic fail.
The entire point of the event is to masquerade as something UN believable.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I'm going as Lady Godiva again

My eyes!!!! My eyes!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUrgh!!!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
I'm going as Uranus.

Epic fail.

I'm gluing a toupee to a fake butt and going as Donald Rump!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I'm going as Uranus.

Epic fail.

Does this mean I can't be the Pope? frown

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I'm going as Uranus.

Epic fail.

I'm going to get dressed up in my new pantsuit tell lies and sell stuff to Russia.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I'm going as Uranus.

Epic fail.

I'm going to get dressed up in my new pantsuit tell lies and sell stuff to Russia.

COPYCAT ... wink ...

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I'm going as Uranus.

Epic fail.

COPYCAT ... wink ...
I am going to make all my passwords p@ssword and then accuse and condemn the president of having business with Russia, when my firms and all my business ties are with Russia.....

Legend
Legend
Quote:
However I believe the adults who host <insert themed Halloween party> Like Native American tribes in such do it in such a way that it ends up being derogatory.

Of course it ends up looking derogatory... because Halloween costumes play on stereotypes, that's what makes them funny.

If we went to a party and you dressed up like a white dude and I dressed up like a black dude.. we could both wear a T-shirt, a pair of jeans, and sneakers.. and for most white and black dudes, that's what they dress like. But we wouldn't do that. In dressing like a white dude, you would probably go one of two routes.. either a suit with a briefcase, a tie that doesn't match, put some cash sticking out of the brief case or something.. or you could go with the stereotypical white nerd.. plaid shirt with pocket protector, khakis, loafers, thick framed glasses..

And I would do the same thing for black dudes.. the two obvious choices are the hood approach with saggy jeans and white tank top undershirt or the pimp look.. Going dressed as you, a black dude, wouldn't do me any good because I've seen your FB, we don't dress all that different on a daily basis.

So yes, they end up being very stereotypical.. that's the only way it will work.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Considering my Halloween "costumes" are generally really lazy ... maybe I'll just dress up as myself and go as "Innocuous, unoffensive, culture-of-your-choice, Man.

Of course the feminists would probably have a problem with that. tongue

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
My dog was so ugly, I shaved his ass and made him walk backwards.

(I messed that up didn't I?)

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
My dog was so ugly, I shaved his ass and made him walk backwards.

(I messed that up didn't I?)
you did, it was the bulls ass...no wait it was the butchers bull.....

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C

Heres my problem with that Swish, and take left and right out of this.

The goal is equality, inclusiveness, and a better understanding of one another when it comes to races/differences, correct?

So wouldn't it make sense that having a little white girl wanting to dress up as another race character, or a little black girl wanting to dress up as white character, a good thing? Or the fact parents don't care if their kids want to dress up as another race character?

Now putting left and right BACK into it.....all the left talks about it white supremacist, and the right are nothing but bigots and racist, yet its the left that gets upset when a white girl wants to wear a person of colors costume for Halloween.........smh

Gotta admit I've kinda thought the same thing. So long as race is not portrayed in a derogatory fashion.

The answer always seems to become that treating someone's "cultural" dress is wrong. So in that way I can kind of understand it. For example, First Nations feather headdresses were ceremonial pieces that showed a level of status within a particular tribe. Having some 21 yr old bar tart wear one while getting trashed on a Halloween pub crawl certainly tarnishes the honour that this garment would typically be given.

So I guess I can see both sides but I find it sad that sad that people just can't be people and not sweat this stuff. There's bigger fish to fry...and that doesn't even include Martavius

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Dont Dress your kids as Moana....you got to be kidding me...

Link Copied to Clipboard