Or even Warren Moon every week
It's McCown Brisett Dalton Keenum
Teams don't have to run the ball every time if you can throw it on them

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Two fumbles in first half led to a lot of the time of possession... But I agree that we need to keep offense on field longer...

Sorry didn't mean to come across so snarky.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know what they should do.

You can give them three more years to develop and if they're not good football player and coaches etc. they're not going to develop.

Putting in a year or two doesn't guarantee improvement.

I don't know if this group will or won't.

At the end of the day I think I need to see next year.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: drobs
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Two fumbles in first half led to a lot of the time of possession... But I agree that we need to keep offense on field longer...

Sorry didn't mean to come across so snarky.

No worries... I saw the stat too and totally agree that the offense didn't do the defense any favors.. But I think those early fumbles really hurt...

Too many mistakes to over come for this team...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I thought ST play was pretty mediocre today. Didn't like this one any more than the others.

It is so not like me to play favorites like that. Thanks to the FO for making this campaign possible. We come back healthy for the most part.

Anybody who got flagged today walks home.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
jc -

Random thought...

Typically when teams have a very poor unit, you'll have at least one guy on that unit step up. Kind of a best of the worst type of thing. When I think about our WRs you don't even have that. It looked like Treggs was going to be that guy, but does anyone on this team even want to be good. They are so bad it almost defies belief.

I think the culture is really bad in Cleveland. You have the FO giving up before the season even starts to save money. You have the owner saying 2017 doesn't matter. Your coach calls timeouts that give the opposition an opportunity to score. These actions all send a message. Winning is not important.

I guess it shouldn't be any surprise the Browns are where they are.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: HewDawg
Bad drafting = bad team. Drafting guys like Weeden and Manziel set this team back. Should have drafted guys in the skill position around Hoyer then look at the QB position. Now we have a young QB with minimal talent around him to help him out.

We have a young guy playing QB. I wouldn't call Flattop a QB.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
What's with "flat top"? Who is "flat top"

Legend
Legend
I saw a defense that played well until they were gassed... T.O.P. 38-22

I saw pretty solid play-calling by Hue and a rookie QB put in a position to excel.

I saw Crow hit a few holes.

I saw Duke... but not nearly enough of him. Our only real "play maker" doesn't never gets enough touches.

I saw 2 catches as the highest by any WR

I saw a coach give away points on a team with no wins like it's his JOB.

I saw Drango make the very best of a situation that had "disaster" written all over it.

I saw the clock hit zeros and then the ghost of Pat Shurmur, as the first thing I thought is "we battled".

I "see" this team winning one or two of the next four, book it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
What's with "flat top"? Who is "flat top"

the only flattop i know of is from Dick Tracy.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
There was a lot of good today ... LOTS ...

Quit feeling sorry for yourselves ..

Bunch of quitters ...

I don't know about LOT'S....but we did.

The D played well in the first half. They were out there too long. We might have had possession for maybe 7 minutes in the first half.

Mike Jordon looks like a pretty decent CB.

The D line is stout and deep.

Drango actually looks pretty decent at LT. He held his own against a pretty good DE.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Drango did a very decent job. Really impressed with how he got on against the vaunted Minny rush.

1st String
1st String

Last edited by BustkeviousMingo; 10/29/17 03:33 PM.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I made the list once but don't feel like doing it again.

List all the 1st round picks the Browns have made since 2008.

Not. A. Single. Impact. Player.

Quote:
Alex Mack
Joe Haden
Phil Taylor
Trent Richardson
Brandon Weeden
Barkevious Mingo
Justin Gilbert
Johnny Manziel
Danny Shelton
Cam Erving
Corey Coleman
Myles Garrett
Jabrill Peppers
David Njoku

All first round picks.

Not. One. Impact. Player.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm all for bashing this front office. But I think it's not fair to label the rookies as non impact players yet.

Garrett especially, I think he will be one as long as he can overcome his health issues.

Njoku has flashed some potential, but has no receivers on the outside to help him and has been a victim of poor QB play.

Peppers, well he has been very underwhelming and I always thought he was overrated at Michigan.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
To be fair, I think Shelton is playing really well.

C
Legend
Legend
C
We can't run an NFL offense because our QBs are so bad. If we are down more than one score, the game is over.

The run defense was pretty good before being gassed because they were on the field a ton.

Kenny Britt, zero snaps.

I feel like if we had a better QB our WRs would only be bad, not atrocious. Bryce Treggs seems like a pretty good role player but we can't get him the ball.

BBC had a bad game for the first time all year.

Kindred is constantly in the backfield on run plays.

We got killed by another TE today.

Legend
Legend
oops i jinxed watson

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Watson may turn out to be good but way too early to anoint him a saviour. I wish the young man well.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I didn't focus on Spencer Drango too much, but it seems like he was at least average.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Drango really played a nice game ! .. I still don't know why Hue doesn't use the middle of the field more ? Someone else mentioned the TE seam route which is not in our play book, I guess .. Hue panic's as soon as a run doesn't net him 4/5 yards .. I am not big on Kiser ( never was ) but Hue really doesn't help him much with his play calling .. And yes it was a try-full better today for parts of the game . There is just a lack of talent on the O when it comes to play makers ...

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

To be honest, we had drafted some talent most of them however we just let walk (We would be a better team if we still Mack, Benjamin, Shwartz, Haden)

We sadly let our talent leave, and can't develop our younger talent...They regress like many of our players...Heck, a lot of our FA's regress when coming to Cleveland...And like stated above a lot of our draft picks were projects, reaches, or headcases...You cant take those players and expect to win when you are a garbage team like Cleveland.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Kizer improved today, didn't force throws. Receivers still dropping passes, count the TEs in on that.

Crow had a decent game until the fumble took the wind out of their sales. Momentum dropped after that. Duke hits the hole so much faster.

We need a WR. What's up with Coates? The guy made plays for Pittsburgh, but here is a special teamer.

Keyed on Drango, he pretty much held Griffen in check. The sack he got was when Kizer was forced to hold for the long pass. IMO, he was not a force today.

Gonzales needs cut today. Missing that extra point then following that with a missed FG, should seal the deal. Has he missed more than he's made?

The defense held them until Williams went to that deep deep single safety. The game changed right there.

The score was bad, but I saw growth. I think they only had one offensive penalty. Also, the PI calls against them were pretty ticky tack.

They are going to win soon, I feel it.

I also would like to say Nassib played a good game.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
A
Legend
Legend
A
Coates. Finally had a catch today. Then he did the "celebrate" thing and cost us time.

Didn't affect the outcome of the game at all, but dang, what's with these players strutting after doing nothing but their job?

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Bye week coming up. Several players will get arrested , a few will get hurt in non contact drills and Kizer will still have no touch on his passes.

Legend
Legend
Glad to see some positives, and I agree, they looked better in a few areas. Get a kicker. If we score more later on, he could cost us game. The light from ST's is beaming brightly as ever. He needs gone.

Overall, first half showed promise, then some Williams choices got in the way. Leads are not safe with a hold every play secondary. Penalties? We ship them in by the dozen. Repeat offenders should shape up or ride the wild pine.

hats off to Drango who did better than I thought he would.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not totally sure why Willians is being knocked. We had a great plan until we ran out of steam.

Those points at the end of the half were on the O. They should have never called that timeout. We had plenty of time to run a play, then call timeout.

It shouldn't take a timeout to run a QB sneak from the one yard line when you have a tall, strong QB.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Bunch of quitters ...

We've been hopeful since 1999. Can you really fault someone for not feeling that "this time it's different"? It's like believing that "this time, there really will be candy", and then getting into the van and suffering the consequences. Every frickin' year.

This is actually the FIRST TIME I’VE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT since our return ...

This is by far the most optomistic i’ve ever been about us having a shot at turning it around ...

This is a DIFFERENT VAN ... it can’t change how the vans in the past were driven ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Forgive me for this "non sequitor" remark, but we are now 4-39 since the Browns' so-called braintrust decided it was time for the Manziel era to begin, and for Brian Hoyer's tenure as QB to end. You remember Brian, he went 10-6 as a starting QB here, and those geniuses decided to run him. Would we be a contender if we had just let the best QB we had (Hoyer) play until we found the heir apparent? No, of course not. But we would have won a lot more than 4 FREAKING GAMES.

Sorry for the rant, but the hopelessness of watching this team that I have loved my whole life, and then coming here and reading that its gonna take a few more years is too much for me. I don't ask for playoffs - just simple competitiveness and an occasional happy Sunday. Too much to ask, apparently.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

--I hated the 9:30 start. Messed-up the timing of the entire day.

--It's a shame that Hue has to limit the play calling because we don't have a QB capable of running a full offense.

--Crow and Duke both had nice games.

--Kizer worries me because I don't see him going through his progressions. You can't be good in the NFL if you can't process information post-snap. I hope it is just nerves and being overwhelmed and not that he isn't able to do it.

--I didn't blame Hue for calling the TO at the end of the half. In fact, I was hoping he would. We have had a plethora of turnovers and failures in the red zone this year. We have a rookie qb who is struggling and an inexperienced offensive team. I thought it was wise to make sure that we calmed down and come up w/a solid play. Yes, we left them 40 seconds, but I think it was more important to get the score.

--The D really struggled against the pass and Minni does not have a good passing game. The players got tired in the second half. I don't think allowing 33 points is a good effort.

--Ogbah is becoming a very solid player. He has some long arms.

--Who is that McGill guy?

--Drango played very well. I was impressed.

--Devalve might be the worst blocking TE in the league. Pathetic.

--More dropped passes and inaccurate throws.

--For as gifted as he is, Collins doesn't make many plays.

--I get the sense that a lot of our players are dumb.

--The kicker is pretty sorry.

--I laughed at Kizer after he scored. WTH was that? LOL

--It is depressing watching this team, though. I want to believe that our young guys will improve. But man, all this losing has got to be tough on everyone involved. And I am not really sure how much talent we really have, especially at the skill positions [other than RB] on both sides of the ball.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I too thought Drango did a fair enough job.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Bunch of quitters ...

We've been hopeful since 1999. Can you really fault someone for not feeling that "this time it's different"? It's like believing that "this time, there really will be candy", and then getting into the van and suffering the consequences. Every frickin' year.

This is actually the FIRST TIME I’VE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT since our return ...

This is by far the most optomistic i’ve ever been about us having a shot at turning it around ...

This is a DIFFERENT VAN ... it can’t change how the vans in the past were driven ...

I agree Daim something just feels different. Can't explain it just feels different.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
R
Rishuz Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
R
I think you are misremembering the TO sequence at the end of the first half.

I just went back and watched it.

Browns run the ball from the one on 2nd and goal. Crowell is stopped with 43 seconds left. Cleveland has 2 timeouts. Zimmer has 3 and should have been using his but he wasn't. That was good for Cleveland. But Hue called a timeout immediately after the play ended at the 43 second mark.

He should have let the clock run until about 20 seconds, maybe a little less. You would have 2 downs, 1 timeout, and would leave the Vikings with less than 20 seconds no matter what happens on the next 2 plays.

Hue actually would have had more time to calm the guys had he gone this route. The time he let the clock run plus the timeout.

I don't see any pro argument for what Hue did. Hell, Trent Green was trying to be nice about it and he couldn't believe it either.

It was just poor no matter how you look at it.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I think it was more about the not running some time off the clock than the timeout itself.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Not totally sure why Willians is being knocked. We had a great plan until we ran out of steam.

Because he blitzes more than anyone and gets little pressure. If you're not going to get any pressure you might as well drop everyone back in coverage.

We got picked apart by Case Keenum. That is a problem.

The run defense is good.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Forgive me for this "non sequitor" remark, but we are now 4-39 since the Browns' so-called braintrust decided it was time for the Manziel era to begin, and for Brian Hoyer's tenure as QB to end. You remember Brian, he went 10-6 as a starting QB here, and those geniuses decided to run him. Would we be a contender if we had just let the best QB we had (Hoyer) play until we found the heir apparent? No, of course not. But we would have won a lot more than 4 FREAKING GAMES.

Sorry for the rant, but the hopelessness of watching this team that I have loved my whole life, and then coming here and reading that its gonna take a few more years is too much for me. I don't ask for playoffs - just simple competitiveness and an occasional happy Sunday. Too much to ask, apparently.

No need to apologize, the truth needs to be spoken. I knew it was bad since Hoyer but didn't realize it was 4-39 bad...Wow that is just breath taking.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave

Hoyer went to the Texans after he was with us. He was benched. He then signed with the Bears where he was a backup and played well in part time duty. The Bears did not re-sign him. He then went to the 49ers where he was benched.

Win/loss record is just about the worst way to judge a QB.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
--It's a shame that Hue has to limit the play calling because we don't have a QB capable of running a full offense.

This. We either run the dumbed down offense of the last two weeks (and Kizer still killed us with INTs against the Titans) or we run a real NFL offense and Kizer is completely overwhelmed.

We have to play Kizer to [hopefully] develop him, but I haven't seen him improve at all (making easy passes to running backs is not an improvement).

D
Legend
Legend
D
There’s reasons to believe we have a shot ... theres talent out there ..

I’m not sure what Noah’s customers expect top see each week when they tune in ... this isn’t going to change til we get some more talent and a qb ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Hoyer went to the Texans after he was with us. He was benched. He then signed with the Bears where he was a backup and played well in part time duty. The Bears did not re-sign him. He then went to the 49ers where he was benched.

Win/loss record is just about the worst way to judge a QB.

I don't disagree with that, but it still speaks volumes about the ownership and who they hire and put in place to make these decisions. We were what? 7-7 or something like that when they decided to bench him for Manziel? At least Hoyer is still in the league, while Manziel can't even get hired by the CFL.

I know you're equally frustrated with this franchise as I am, but damn that was a horrible decision.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 16 Vikings 33 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard