Print Thread
#1343215 10/29/17 08:28 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
wow, I actually hurt from this game cause I thought we actually were going to win.

Kizer...eliminated his costly mistakes but his anti franchise QB reared its ugly head.
Early on we had Njoku break open for a deep pass on the left, with no duress Kizer over threw him....this is like the 5th, 6th time he has done so. Preseason n training camp it was his long ball that made me think we had a shot with him. Ih well just another inaccurate pass.

Later in the game Kizer extended the play to his right...hanging by the sideline was Njoku all by himself.
Just a 5 yard pass but lots of YAC. Kizer throws it so Njoku can catch it n start running upfield....good play.
Im sure most are PO'd at Njoku for dropping it...my problem is that it was a fastball with no touch on it what so ever.
He still hangs on way too long then when that window is closing he fires that fastball. He has one throttle only.
We ran the ball well. Our defense played very good especially stopping the run.

Nassib in for Garrett raised those long arms and tipped the ball right into Schofields arms.
I love the fact our first play was a screen pass left where we knew they would bring pressure due to Joe Thomas not being there. Next play run to Crowell. TD

The kid from Zona had a bad day leavjng 4 easy points on the board.

Drango actually played well at LT.

Duke got a concussion late in the game.

Im sorry but the officiating for me is what changed the game.

We were goal to go n went for 3. We had Devalve with 2 on him breaking to the outside endzone where Kizer threw it. He gets slammed by the defender preventing him from getting outside...no flag.

They have a WR deep endzone n we hand checked him P.I. what!?!

3 auto first downs in that sequence yeah they scored.
Also in one where Boughty was called for a hold...they show the replay and their RT is beat by Ogbah you see the arm wrapped around Ogbah's neck and he gets pulled down from behind. No holding flag but we get a ticky tack hold in the secondary.

What seemed like a game that we were in control for 3 qtrs. slipped away in the 4th.

Wife thought I would have a heart attack I was screaming so loud...normally Im quite.

Worse yet its only noon!

Will add more
What did you see.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I only got to watch 3 quarters on DVR before the wife decided I had better things to be doing.. so my post oNLY reflects what I saw up unto that point...

-Hats off to Drango. That was one of the big match ups to watch and he handled himself well. Saw a lot of good communication on that side of the line. They threw up a graphic that said Drango had gone up against that DE 16 times and gave up... ZERO pressures

-Nice run by Crow for the TD

-Saw a field that our RB's had a hard time getting traction in

-We tried to get Njoku involved more than before (or atleast Kizer was targeting him more).

-I saw Njoku make a great play to tip a ball at the goal lone that Kizer slghtly over threw and was about to be INT'd.

-We finally connected deep down the sideline to Louis!

-I would have liked more sacks, but I thought we did a fair job of getting pressure on him... he took some shots and there was a few times the DL couldn't keep his footing else, Keenan goes down at least once or twice more.

-There was NO DOUBT that when given the opportunity Hue was going to back the Vikings up on penalties lol. His face said it all.

Not sure what happened in the 4th frown

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
2nd String
2nd String
First game I’ve gotten to watch this season and I noticed some good and bad throughout the game.

First I agree Drango did a good job. If he holds down the position this may be the last we see of JT. Just a hunch even JT tweeted that they were better without him which I don’t believe, but it might be time to let him go to a contender. This FO loves creating more problems for them to fix.

Secondly I feel that Williams incessant need to blitz the entire game with no “surprise” factor, especially with Garrett inactive was the real problem which in the end wore them out and ruined the D. If it was working I may feel differently but it wasn’t. And it kept allowing their WR easy chances to get open. I mentioned at 23-16 game was over due to our inability to score 20 points or more.

Yes it’s a very young team without enough experience from top all the way to the bottom but I felt minus the time out before the half it was a much better gameplan for a young team to execute. Hues biggest failure each and every week is giving his backs enough carries and using PA more.

Since I’ve only watched this game I can’t say I see improvement from the squad but I feel like they took steps forward. What needs to happen from this game forward is the execution needs to get better and they need to treat it like building blocks. One step one piece at a time.

Oh one other thing. The D looked like it was moving very slow on a lot of plays. Is this because our speed and players are hurt? Is the rest of them really that slow or is it just not understanding by instinct what the hell they are supposed to be doing???

Last edited by Xanthros; 10/29/17 09:29 PM.

Who let the Dawgs out???
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I feel that I saw overall improvement from the Browns for a second week in a row. This much is evident...

Until we find a competent QB we will have to play perfect to win a game.

2 things that I watched that stuck out the most.
1) On a first down play in what I do believe was the 2nd quarter, Kizer completes a screen pass to Crow to the left for maybe a gain of 1 yard. This play looked to be designed to go to Crow from the start, as Kizer locked in on Crow for almost 2 seconds then threw to him.

I don't understand how at this point in the season, Kizer is not being coached to look off his receiver, maybe pump fake to the right ala Big Ben freeze the LB'ers then throw the screen. Instead he stares down Crow for 2 seconds then floats a screen pass completion that gains nothing because 2 defenders recognized the play from the whistle.

2) How can we continue to keep our safeties 20 yards off the LOS??????
On one play, I saw Kindred sprint out of the picture as he retreated to Iceland. It has been discussed multiple times on this site. If we can see it, how can this staff continue not to make adjustments. Allowing opposing offenses to continue to convert 3rd & long all day long with ease can not be better than eliminating the possibility for the big play. Which if I remember correctly is how the Steelers beat us even with our safety's playing in Lake Michigan.

Again turnovers kill, up 6-0 coming off a stop, we muff a punt return and give them a short field. Kudos to the D for hol;ding them to 3 points and maintaining the lead. Crowells fumble hurt, but that stuff happens. What can not happen is a punt returner to fumble a fair catch!!!!!!

M
Legend
Legend
M
How are you feeling this week Tab?

I saw a much better first half performance than expected.

Was expecting a ton of pressure with Joe T out and Drango stepped in and did an outstanding job.

Part of that was the dumb-ed down offense for Kizer which allowed him to get rid of the ball quickly. It seems like last week and this week we finally installed an offense designed for a rookie QB ... and it helped.

Agree - Njoku was wide open down the left for a huge gain or a TD. Agree with the other poster than Njoku also made a phenomenal play to deny an interception. Kind of surprised that the commentators didn't make more of that.

Nassib stepped up and flashed what we liked about him early last season before he seemed to go a bit quite. He's a very good rotational player to have behind a healthy MG and Ogbah.

Thought the LB's all had very sold games again - Schobert not as outstanding as last week but still it really looks like he has found his role.

I was wondering throughout the game - like others - about the blitzing and the scheme. Before the season there was a ton of speculation about what % the Browns D would be in their Base formation and how important a 3rd LB was or whether Peppers would be used up in the box a lot. . . . well as others have pointed out - Williams doesn't seem to be dialing in blitzes that spring anyone open. . . it's more a case of the only way to get any sort of pressure is to send 5 or 6 ... and the Offense is ready for them. And we are in our base D way way more than I was expecting.

I saw the secondary play better without Peppers - Again.

I saw the same inconsistency of the officiating. I'd need to re-watch the Devalave in the end zone play - but at game speed there seemed to be interference. On the PI call that they got - I wasn't even sure if the ball was catch-able - again I'd have to re-watch, I thought it went high and out the back of the end-zone.

The good was I saw the team had a good game plan and play hard despite a 1-23 record going into the game ... the bad was I saw Hue fail to run time off the clock before calling a TO - which helped the Vikings score again before the half. I don't think it affected the outcome of the game but it was another bad in game situation Hue got wrong.

I saw a chance of a W at half time slip away. And looking to the rest of the season I can only see us having a chance against the Bears ... and maybe the Packers if they suck without Rogers. Very frustrating.

Last edited by mgh888; 10/30/17 08:53 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Watched my heart break again late in the 4th. We were in it. Kizer was better by comparison, good at best for awhile.

We need a kicker. Need fewer penalties. Njoku is driving me crazy. We ran more.

Britt on the sidelines was poetic justice.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I saw a Vikings Oline very green and weak in the first half. The Browns defense had swarming pressure and causing havoc. By the end of the half the Vikings Oline seem to come together better and we couldn't get the pressure on Keenum anymore. Plus Keenum get's rid of the ball fast anyways.

On Kizer. One great deep pass but under thrown. Got lucky on that IMO. I saw him try to lob a couple TD pass attempts. He needs a lot of practice in throwing touch passes and screens from what I saw. Also damn!..stop holding the ball so friggin long. 3 seconds and it better be out! See it...believe it...throw it! But he did take care of the ball better in London.

On the defense. Greast pressure in the first half. Not so much in the second. I question strength. Just not enough gas in the tank or could be depth with all the injuries. Take your pick.

On the Oline with out JT. Durango seemed to hold his own OK. I saw his block that broke Crow open for his TD run. Good run block there. All and all a pretty good job. But without the likes of JT we knew it wasn't going to be pretty up front with QB protection. And it wasn't. But the run game had it's moments for sure.

Sure missed JT in this one.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
Legend
Legend
We are simply not a good team and most phases..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Going to be torched for posting this, but I kind of though the chemistry in the OL was better in this game...

Two pro-bowl Lt's on IR, and not much changed on the teams, we kept on losing and Eagles kept on winning...

Legend
Legend

Lack of talent at skill positions.

Coverage on drag routes and seams lead to easy completions with way deep safety.

The Browns lack of talent. The Browns don't have the players to back up what should be impact positions of first rounders. Garrett and Coleman MIA.

Duke is the only real threat to break away and he left the game.

Kizer missed Njoku but you have to have more opportunities than one pass.

Kizer played better but scoring touchdowns appears to be taboo.

The Browns plain and simple do not have enough playmakers to win games.

I don't care who the head coach is this edition of the Browns is not good enough to win unless they play mistake free and some players make big plays.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Thanks for the What I saw guys. I know how hard it is not to rant and rave.

Back to the thread.

Deep cover two and a guy goes long down our left side. The CB lets him go knowing we got the Deep two...ummm Campbell you do understand that once a guy goes deep you actually are suppose to go get him...hello Campbell. WR is just standing alone in the endzone and catches an easy deep pass TD which is the entire purpose of the Deep Safety play we make so there is none of that!!! smh Campbell.

Didn't see Caleb out there or was he just ineffective? I know Larry was hurt. It will be nice to see our Defense play with all back from their injuries!

We got to shut somebody out so we can win! I won't write off Gonzalez as our kicker but I'm doing that point two fingers at my eye and then at him, as in a NY I'm watching you buddy!

All you do is kick...I don't see how a talented kicker can miss like that!

We didn't lose the game because of it.

I don't know if I want to yell or applaud our Special Teams.

Did we block a FG or was that another game I saw last night...lol laugh

We drop that punt and it changed a possible momentum of domination that we could have had??? Good they only got a FG but still. We INT...2 plays later TD then stop them cold and they punt! I thought that had a lot more meaning to our loss then at the time...it was a what could have been moment!

Then Dayes pulls off a 72 yard kickoff return later on that puts the ST in a better light.

I thought our coverage was pretty good.

Crowell's fumble was another MO changer...still we had the lead going into the 4th quater despite our mistakes.

Then what happened? Defense wasn't making stops they were catching the ball and no mistakes. We were not putting on pressure. They took advantage of our Zone. Our we the only team out there that plays zone???

Too much responsibility on the kid Michael Jordan. His name was brought up a lot.

Does anyone know the play that Duke got the concussion on...man all year he has been taking big hits and no concussion.
What happened this time.

I didn't see our WR Williams out there but I see he got some Reps.

No reps for Britt while being ACTIVE...good get rid of the bum.

Maybe we will try to trade him before the deadline???
I heard teams are offering 8th round picks...lol laugh

Something is going to happen soon we will start winning.

Lets see if Kizer can get more accurate and throw with more touch. Glad he eliminated the big mistakes and I do like him running!

there was a play I forgot what but Higgins got killed (81)
it was a good play for us and towards our left side.

Oh well I'll be taking pain meds for the next month or so apologize for the fog.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I watched a team that continued to have mental lapses
The play calling has no.flow no rhyme or reason
It's team that has some believing there's actual talent which is true to a point
But the Browns simply don't have enough players that can win matchups vs the guy across from him

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Lack of talent at skill positions.

Coverage on drag routes and seams lead to easy completions with way deep safety.

The Browns lack of talent. The Browns don't have the players to back up what should be impact positions of first rounders. Garrett and Coleman MIA.

Duke is the only real threat to break away and he left the game.

Kizer missed Njoku but you have to have more opportunities than one pass.

Kizer played better but scoring touchdowns appears to be taboo.

The Browns plain and simple do not have enough playmakers to win games.

I don't care who the head coach is this edition of the Browns is not good enough to win unless they play mistake free and some players make big plays.

All and all, I think this was the first positive game this season...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Tab, i believe we blocked an extra point att. And if memory serves me correctly, it was ogbah.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Tab, i believe we blocked an extra point att. And if memory serves me correctly, it was ogbah.

Legend
Legend
If it's not one thing then it's something else..

I thought we played pretty well for most of the first 3 qtrs.. the Crow fumble sucked but that's the first fumble he has had all year.. sucks that it happened in a game, and at a time, when we were actually being competitive.

Dropped passes, poorly thrown balls, mental lapses on defense (like leaving a WR standing all alone in the back of the end zone while the corner covers the 10 yard line and the safety covers the endzone logo)

It's almost like I'm happy that I was frustrated.. if that makes any sense.. because for about 5 weeks in a row I had a "whatever" attitude after the game.. I was actually upset after this one.. so we must have played better. Highly scientific reasoning right there.

yebat' Putin
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I saw a defense play good with the safeties in a traditional role. Then after halftime Williams went to that single DEEEEEPPP safety, and the complexion of the game changed. He just opens up the middle of the field for crossing routes, and guarantees YAC on anything under ten yards.

To me, this is what happened that caused the scoring to change. They were being held in check, then we opened the field for them.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: eotab

Didn't see Caleb out there or was he just ineffective? I know Larry was hurt. It will be nice to see our Defense play with all back from their injuries!

Brantley played 47 snaps and had two tackles.

Defensive Snap Counts

Legend
Legend
i saw brantley get owned at the LOS on a run play one time ... didn't notice much else

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
If it's not one thing then it's something else..

I thought we played pretty well for most of the first 3 qtrs.. the Crow fumble sucked but that's the first fumble he has had all year.. sucks that it happened in a game, and at a time, when we were actually being competitive.

Dropped passes, poorly thrown balls, mental lapses on defense (like leaving a WR standing all alone in the back of the end zone while the corner covers the 10 yard line and the safety covers the endzone logo)

It's almost like I'm happy that I was frustrated.. if that makes any sense.. because for about 5 weeks in a row I had a "whatever" attitude after the game.. I was actually upset after this one.. so we must have played better. Highly scientific reasoning right there.

Same feeling here. I actually thought it was the first positive game in the season.

Legend
Legend
You analytics types are all the same with technical optics and optimism.

It IS better, because we said it IS better. So man up, fan up, and relapse for a week. Just kidding, of course. But just mind-numbing stupidity again as far as penalties, mistakes, fumbles, and all the rest. I still hope for better, but I forget why.

Maybe it will come back to me.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 16 Vikings 33 What I saw game 8

Link Copied to Clipboard