Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#1345484 11/01/17 06:11 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ppolo-this-year

Long story short, Shanny says he might not start JG THIS YEAR... keeping them in the hunt for #1.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
so let's speculate.

if he doesn't play JG this year in hope of getting the #1 pick, then what do they do with that pick?

will they attempt to trade back into the low teens? san fran does have a ton of holes. will they grab BPA in all other positions with the #1?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1345536 11/01/17 06:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess it's a hard system to learn but if JG is a competitor he shouldn't be thrilled with sitting that long.

Legend
Legend
he can't do any worse than what hoyer and whats his face have been doing this year.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1345543 11/01/17 06:30 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Absolutely. Use that boatload of picks that they already have, add to it by trading out of 1 or 2, and just add blue chip talent at a rate that's never been seen before.

Build a super-young, super-talented team around a QB that's been groomed and has a good grasp of the playbook at that point.

Man, if only we could've been in a position to do that!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
lol, well we have our shot with our picks next year.

san fran trading back will certainly mean whatever team leapfrogs us is drafting a QB(assuming they somehow beat us to #1 and we have #2).

my thing is maybe that would be a good thing? i see somebody drafting Darnold or Rosen, who i dont want, and hopefully that would mean we can get Lamar Jackson.

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Does anyone else think that Garrapollo may be fool's gold?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg

I always have ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
i have my concerns.

nobody knows what he will look like with as a full time starter in a full season.

people like to say you can't judge him based on what other backup patriot QB's have done in the league. and while i understand that, i still have massive concerns.

Mallet, Hoyer, Cassell, all bums.

Brissett looks actually pretty decent, but man the colts team is boo boo garbage so he might actually be good.

my issue with JG hasn't been him, but i will admit i get turned off with the people hyping him.

how did a bonafide franchise QB as a lot of people around here claim drop to the 2nd round? Carr, Manziel, Teddy, Bortles, all went before him.

is there a reason that happened? maybe the competition he played in college wasn't that good? i dunno.

there's a lot of questions with dude.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
1) I bet the 49 fans start chanting for JG two weeks from now.

2) JG might be fool's gold, but was a cheap risk to take. Now if they don't play him and hand him a big fat contract before next season, the cost of that risk goes way up.

3) It's sounding more and more like Darnold will stay in school, Rosen's leadership abilities bother me and Jackson scares me as well. I would prefer that we made a run Cousins in FA and use the #1 or #2 pick on BPA.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Watching First Take, and I'm shocked that the Browns are actually getting praise for a few points. I was expecting to see us annihilated while waiting for Knicks/Rockets, but it's the opposite.

1. Patriots didn't get all they could get. They only got a 2nd. Stephen A. Smith makes the point, "Did the Patriots have the ability to get more than a second round pick prior to yesterday?"* Yep. They probably could have got the Houston first and second round picks from the Browns. Instead, they got just a second. As Max Kellerman said, "These teams didn't miss each other on communication like ships in the night."* For whatever reason, Bill wasn't willing to deal Jimmy to Cleveland.

Sounds about right. Maybe Jimmy doesn't want to be a Brown. Maybe Bill wanted Jimmy out of the AFC. Maybe Bill doesn't want Jimmy on a team with a rising D, very strong OL and a bunch of draft picks upcoming - THAT would be a desirable situation for any coach/front office who could potentially join.

2. Over a similar number of starts, Jimmy Garappolo and A.J McCarron have similar numbers. It really is remarkable that people have already anointed Jimmy Garappolo as a franchise quarterback. Hue might have wanted A.J McCarron more because he knows what he's getting. The 49ers really don't know. The First Take crew was the first I've seen who didn't immediately preface everything with, "Browns missed on a franchise quarterback and the 49ers have absolutely, unequivocally and undoubtedly got a franchise quarterback!" That was a refreshing take.

*I was typing it as they said it on TV, so a word or two might be out of place.

BDU #1345648 11/01/17 08:04 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
There u go with your stats again ...

McCarron is not that good ...

JG has a shot ... hes smart and accurate ... he’ll be another one that i’m going to enjoy watching develop and seeing if hes good and if so just how good ... especially under Shanny ...

For u to compare them based on stats is going to lead to a false conclusion .. like it does most times ...

Legend
Legend
Why would cousin come to Cleveland? He's made a ton of money so far... There are many teams that are a qb away from being a playoff team.... We're pretty far away... I don't see any way cousins comes here... I hope we make a pitch for him but don't see it happening....

<><

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: CanadaDawg

He could be and a lot of the guys who don't know a damn thing about football are the ones who have been bad-mouthing him since we started talking about trading for him.

However, NFL people disagree. I disagree. And most of the posters I respect most o this board disagrees w/the naysayers. That group would include bonefish who I probably respect more than anyone on this board for qb evaluations.

Here's why;

--He has a very quick release.

--He is incredibly accurate.

--He goes through his progressions fast. In fact, Gruden said he is the fastest in the NFL.......and he used him as an example when talking to one of the college guys, so he wasn't just pimping JG. He actually used him as the example of how to go through progressions quickly. And nothing is harder for an NFL qb than that.

--He is extremely intelligent and said to be a good leader.

--He can play in the shotgun or under center, which gives you many more options.

I am not saying he is a sure thing, but I think he has a great shot at being a true franchise qb and we blew it by not trading for him.

jaybird #1345669 11/01/17 08:23 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Exactly.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
There u go with your stats again ...

McCarron is not that good ...

JG has a shot ... hes smart and accurate ... he’ll be another one that i’m going to enjoy watching develop and seeing if hes good and if so just how good ... especially under Shanny ...

For u to compare them based on stats is going to lead to a false conclusion .. like it does most times ...

I agree w/your post. The only reservation I have is that SF might be even worse than us right now in terms of offensive talent. Their OL is brutal right now. We at least have a good OL.

It actually might be a good idea to sit him out this year and then trade the high pick for a team that wants a qb and then have the opportunity to fill multiple holes.

However, that will be tough to pull off. Dep mentioned that the fans will be screaming for him and someone else mentioned that JG will be wanting to play in the worst way.

I just wish it was us that had that problem and not SF!

Legend
Legend
Wouldn't y want to know if he's any good thought? I find it hard to believe you trade for the guy and sit him all year... I can see him sitting for a couple weeks but don't you have to play him some this year to know if you need to draft a qb.... I guess if you trade for him that signals that you think he's the guy...

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #1345683 11/01/17 08:35 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Why would cousin come to Cleveland? He's made a ton of money so far... There are many teams that are a qb away from being a playoff team.... We're pretty far away... I don't see any way cousins comes here... I hope we make a pitch for him but don't see it happening....

We won't know until we try and we'll still know before the draft, so no harm no foul.

His beef with Washington is that he doesn't feel like they are committed to him, so that's where we start.

jaybird #1345688 11/01/17 08:40 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Wouldn't y want to know if he's any good thought? I find it hard to believe you trade for the guy and sit him all year... I can see him sitting for a couple weeks but don't you have to play him some this year to know if you need to draft a qb.... I guess if you trade for him that signals that you think he's the guy...

I think that's all just talk. Most likely to try and keep the fans patient while he learns the offense.

The fans will be calling for him and the owner is most likely will eventually be calling for him to.

They be offering him more than $100 mil in the offseason and will want a peek of how his does with their offense in some games.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

His beef with Washington is that he doesn't feel like they are committed to him, so that's where we start.

give him tons of money, and show him Joe freaking Thomas.

I'm sure Joe would love to finally block for a QB that isn't a moron.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
jaybird #1345701 11/01/17 08:51 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

We tell him he will have control over the WR's. he can pick the WR's we draft from now on.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: homer_brown

give him tons of money, and show him Joe freaking Thomas.

I'm sure Joe would love to finally block for a QB that isn't a moron.

Wouldn't hurt a bit. We also have more cap room than most other teams.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

We won't know until we try and we'll still know before the draft, so no harm no foul.

This was Published on Feb. 28, 2017...

Kirk Cousins reportedly will accept trade to only one team

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/kir...331pb9pszn2cjsa

Kirk Cousins' value to the Redskins will become clearer Wednesday with the arrival of the franchise tag deadline.

Washington can apply its tag to Cousins and still work out a long-term deal, or not. Another option is using the tag and trading its quarterback.

One challenge, according to ESPN, is Cousins will only accept a trade to one team: the 49ers. The report cited an unnamed source.

Vambo #1345709 11/01/17 08:55 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Vambo

This was Published on Feb. 28, 2017...

Kirk Cousins reportedly will accept trade to only one team

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/kir...331pb9pszn2cjsa

Kirk Cousins' value to the Redskins will become clearer Wednesday with the arrival of the franchise tag deadline.

Washington can apply its tag to Cousins and still work out a long-term deal, or not. Another option is using the tag and trading its quarterback.

One challenge, according to ESPN, is Cousins will only accept a trade to one team: the 49ers. The report cited an unnamed source.

well looks like he will be a Redskin for quite some time.

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree with your reservation ... 100% ... especially with Staley out for ... not sure how long ..

I read today Shanny may sit him for the rest of the year cause of how complicated his O is .. i don’t see that happening ... but u never know with Shanny ... he marches to the beat of a different drummer .. its one hell of an offensive minded drummer ... *L* ....

Wouldn’t shock me that when Staley comes back thats the week Shanny feels JG is ready ... *L* ..

I’m not sure what Shanny will do .. but i believe he will get the O straightened out ..

And it wouldn’t shock me if he takes a qb with their first pick ... or maybe in rnd 3 or 4 like he did with Cousins in Wash after they took RG3 ... everyone laughed at that pick ... not me ... i said draft day .. watch out for that kid ... hes smart and accurate .. two things RG3 did not display in college .. he displayed a ton of heart and atheleticism .. not a ton of good decision making or accuracy ...

In my life time theres two guys i really respect when evaluating QB’s ...

The gold standard is Bill Walsh ... he found Kenny Anderson when some in the NFL didn’t even know who he was ... then he found Joe ... when u go by your first name only, u were pretty good ... *L* ...

I’m tired .. can’t remember the other one ...

But Shanny may have the touch ... i know he can get whatever they have in them out of them ... he will utilize their talents to the max .. what he did with Schuabb in Houston was nothing short of miraculous ...

He had to come here so we could make him look bad .. *L* ...

U know what i really wish and long for ...

The day i can look forward to watching OUR QB DEVELOP and become good ...

I haven’t given up on DK yet .. but that boy needs a ton of work .. .starting with mechanics .. hopefully that can take care of the innacuraccy ... but then ... there could be the “small” problem of information processing ..

We’ll see .. hopes aren’t real high right now as the problems i see here’s are EXACTLY THE SAME ONES I SAW AT ND ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Joe Thomas? I doubt he comes back after what happened in the past couple of days.

Another thought: Cousins would only accept a trade to one team...SF? Wonder why? It couldn't be Shanny, could it. You know, the same geniuses who are trashing Hue who used to trash Shanny when he was here.

And no matter how many times they are wrong and others are proven right, they never acknowledge it and continue to act like the others are clueless. LOL..........I love relating some of these stories to my family and friends. They think I am making them up.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Joe Thomas? I doubt he comes back after what happened in the past couple of days.

Another thought: Cousins would only accept a trade to one team...SF? Wonder why? It couldn't be Shanny, could it. You know, the same geniuses who are trashing Hue who used to trash Shanny when he was here.

And no matter how many times they are wrong and others are proven right, they never acknowledge it and continue to act like the others are clueless. LOL..........I love relating some of these stories to my family and friends. They think I am making them up.

Hi Vers,

I don't think Joe will want to end his career on an injury, I just don't.

Yes, this crapshow doesn't help recruiting, I just wanted to point out the Browns have some things that could look good to him.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Greg Cook? Steve Young? Jeff Garcia? All were pretty damn good. Young is a HOFer and I think Cook could have been a great one had the misfortune not occurred.

I believe in Shanny and I was his biggest defender on this board. I didn't like the hire because I only read stuff about him, but he quickly won me over. Dudes used to make fun of me because I often talked of his route trees. You can guess who those posters were.

Dude is just smarter than most people. Some folks are intimidated by intelligent people and like to bring them down, but I'm not of that mindset. If a dude is smart, I wanna learn from him. I think you are the same way.

I haven't given up on DK yet and yes, his accuracy is a huge problem. I think Hue can fix that if given time. It was working, but bro, we should have never started Kize. We should have rolled w/Brock. I know you hate the guy, but it should have been more about development. We weren't going to win a bunch this year anyway. We might have won a few games w/BO and Kize could have continued to work on his mechanics and studies.

The dude might have a bigger problem, though. He is so slow processing information. I don't see him going through progressions. He has Weeden and Timid disease. Lock in on one receiver, wait too long, and then if you don't get sacked, check it down. Don't scan the field. Don't go through progressions.

Bro, you can't overcome that!

I hope he can do it and just isn't right now............but, I kinda doubt it. He might and I am not saying he won't, but it's a real long shot at this point.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey homer. I've missed reading your posts. You were always one of the best, friendliest posters on here. I wish you would post more.

I agree that it would be terrible for Joe to end his career on an injury. I hope he doesn't.

I just think he has been contemplating retirement and this BS that has gone on the last couple of days can't be seen as a positive.

I hope I am wrong, bro.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree Vers.

I think Joe's decision will be based 100% on what this franchise does between now and in the off season. The last week didn't help. JG would have been nice incentive!

Look at it from Joe's perspective. He's got money in the bank, can fish for the rest of his life, and a lock on the HOF....why comeback to the swamp in Clowns-Town?

D
Legend
Legend
D
We agree on Kizer ... 100% ...

I said the day we drafted him he shouldn’t start ... he needed time to work on his mechanics ... thats not going to happen when your the starter ... he wasn’t ready .. NOT EVEN CLOSE ...

I also think his accuracy problems have a shot at being solved .. if that happens it comes down to the info processing .. not sure thats ever going to come ...

He looks like the kid i saw at nd last year playing in the nfl .. witch just makes things that much worse ...

I thought BO STUNK ... still do ... not sure if u don’t remember or u weren’t reading me cause u were so mad at me ...

As BAD as i thought he was ... i said he should be our starter ... i can’t believe CK regressed from last year .. im sure its happend .. i just don’t remember it ...

BO wasn’t good ... he was pretty bad .. but the others were worse ..

I said he should have started ... more so cause Kizer wasn’t ready and the other two were just train wrecks ...

I said it a bunch ... BO should start by default .. not cause BO looked good ..

Man .. I forgot about Garcia ... he told anyone that would listen to draft him .. he had Joe and Young at the time if I recall correctly .... i know he couldn’t draft him ... maybe Walsh was all ready out of the league and sF wouldn’t listen to him .. i’m Tired and can’t remember the time frame ..

But man .. he was pleading with teams to take him .. he ended up going to eh cfl ... SF finally gave him his chance ... and off he went ..

He was a shadow of his old self when he came here .. but IMO he3 was the best we’ve had ..

Can’t believe i forgot about him .. thanks for jogging the memory ... thumbsup

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Thanks man. I don't post much because there's not a lot things to like about the Browns.

Joe getting hurt broke my heart.

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Makes you wonder what could of been if the Browns would of kept mccown for another year instead of trying to save some pennies by cutting him.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Makes you wonder what could of been if the Browns would of kept mccown for another year instead of trying to save some pennies by cutting him.

Cutting McCown saved pennies, but I don't think that's the reason he was cut. We had two QBs on the roster (Kessler and McCown) and we were always going to add another. The team let McCown go early in the off-season which leads me to believe they were doing him a favor so he could find a job. Not to mention the fact that McCown was horrible.

McCown has played alright for the Jets, but he has done this before. He will turn back into a pumpkin.

cfrs15 #1345813 11/01/17 10:05 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
McCown has played alright for the Jets, but he has done this before. He will turn back into a pumpkin.

He's not a Manning, but he would of been a valuable guy to help Kizer.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Hi Vers,

I don't think Joe will want to end his career on an injury, I just don't.

Yes, this crapshow doesn't help recruiting, I just wanted to point out the Browns have some things that could look good to him.

I thought about Joe sitting at home and watching this on TV and deciding to retire. It's a valid point.

I still hold out hope that Joe's a guy that will play out his contract because that is what he agreed to do.

C
Legend
Legend
C

Agreed. But it's not like we are all that much better with him.

cfrs15 #1345826 11/01/17 10:10 PM
H
All Pro
All Pro
H

Agreed. But it's not like we are all that much better with him.

Ha, that's the truth.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I always liked Garcia. Scrappy little [censored] who did not get treated fairly here. He played pretty damn good but we were a train wreck. He played great in SF and he played damn good in Philly after he left here.

I am so sick of the Browns!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If The Pats really wanted to get the most from Jimmy G why didn't they announce he was available?

Wouldn't it make more sense to create a bidding war rather than a quiet trade?

Was the not playing Jimmy G part of the deal to keep the draft pick high?

There's something fishy about this deal.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Garrapolo

Link Copied to Clipboard