Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Hammer #1363705 12/03/17 01:29 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Hammer
I would take either with the 1st pick and be very happy with whichever one they choose, but they have to take the QB with that first pick. Cannot pass on either of these potential franchise QBs in my opinion.

Agreed. There can be more than one good QB in the draft. I think Rosen, Darnold, Jackson, and Mayfield will all have varying degrees of success in the NFL.

cfrs15 #1363789 12/03/17 04:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't forget Allen. thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
bonefish #1366768 12/06/17 01:39 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
All of Sam Darnold's interceptions:

cfrs15 #1366846 12/06/17 03:11 PM
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So, of the interceptions, Darnold's key issues are.

1. Sloppy footwork.
2. Poor decisions.
3. Hero balls.
4. Staring down receivers.

Overall, I'm pretty good with the list. I think most quarterbacks are going to tick a few off each list. What does trouble me is how often the interceptions confounded several of these issues to influence the play. Building on a mistake with another mistake which leads to the big mistake.

That is ultimately defining Sam Darnold at the moment. The flashes of brilliance are undeniable, and he's an all-around fantastic prospect, but he's prevented from being that next level guy due to the inconsistencies in his game in which he has those breakdowns.

That will always hold him back. When it comes to the first overall selection, any team is going to have concerns regarding - just how much work do we have to put in to this guy?

That's where Rosen looks the more likely chance to be the guy taken first. More polished is less questions. Although one could easily argue Darnold has the higher upside, Rosen doesn't require as much work, which minimises the risk.

I know has been long reported, so not trying to build off that, but I do feel like Darnold is likely to return to school, and the plays indicated are exactly why that's not a terrible decision.

cfrs15 #1366998 12/06/17 06:10 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
His talent is undeniable, but his footwork when pressured is a big concern.

BDU #1367006 12/06/17 06:55 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The trap that is easy to fall into is judging college players against NFL stars.

Nobody comes out of college as a finished product.

The faults that you pointed out are all correctable. I try to focus on what the guy does well and will that serve him in the NFL.

I am not disagreeing with you. Again I try to project where the guy will be in two or three years.

There is something about Darnold that sticks to me. I like his presence on the field. Not an easy thing to explain. The way his teammates look at him. His instincts. His ability to make a big play when a big play is needed.

Big Ben is not a perfect quarterback but when it counts he comes up big. Against the Bengals they were down. I watched some of the game. When they trailed by three near the end I shut the tv off. I just knew they would win. No surprise in the morning.

After Darnold gets into the league for a few years I think he will be that kind of player.

He will never look as good as Rosen throwing the ball. And who knows maybe Rosen will be the better player. But Darnold is going to lead a team and I believe he will be a damn good player.

Legend
Legend
Depending on how the 2018 NFL draft order shakes out, USC quarterback Sam Darnold could return to school next year for his junior season.

Per NFL Network's Albert Breer (via Nick Camino of WTAM 1100 in Cleveland), Darnold is going to wait and see which teams are picking in the top two spots next April before deciding if he will leave the Trojans. If the Browns are in the top two, he may head back to USC.

The Browns are one of two winless teams, along with the San Francisco 49ers, in the NFL. Cleveland would have the No. 1 overall pick if the season ended today based on the strength-of-schedule tiebreaker.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27419...-2018-nfl-draft

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
i know some will say this is fake news.

but think about it.....is this really surprising?

nope. These kids coming out of college simply don't want to play for the browns. Dorsey might be highly respected, but most college players don't know who the GM for particular teams are until the combine, and even then....it's still the Browns.

β€œTo announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think he denied that report when it came out quite some time ago.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He can do what he wants. I'd prefer Rosen anyway.

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Good odds we will have the first pick in 2019 too. What is the record?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I call BS. I don't believe Darnold has said any such thing, and I don't think he would or will. If he stays in school it will be a career decision based on his development and potential spot in the draft next year. Plus, the article is over six weeks old and Darnold has stated he has made no such decision (I'm pretty sure since that article came out, but I'm too lazy to look for his quote.) If you're going to post intentionally misleading articles like this, it would be helpful if you researched it a little more.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
We will have the 1st pick, so Darnold has a choice. He refuted this report months ago, so it may be old news. Luckily there are 2 QBs who should be considered franchise guys, so if Darnold goes back, Rosen becomes the clear option as long as everything else checks out.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Thanks for finding that, Vers. thumbsup

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
sadly for him, we'll have the 1st pick in 2019 too smile

you can run, but you can't hide

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
brownie

And Happy Birthday!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
I call BS. I don't believe Darnold has said any such thing, and I don't think he would or will. If he stays in school it will be a career decision based on his development and potential spot in the draft next year. Plus, the article is over six weeks old and Darnold has stated he has made no such decision (I'm pretty sure since that article came out, but I'm too lazy to look for his quote.) If you're going to post intentionally misleading articles like this, it would be helpful if you researched it a little more.

I didn't know it was misleading, it wasn't intentional.

Anyways it really doesn't matter much because the Browns FO will probably pass on him anyways. Let's wait and see if he stays in school then talk about the validity.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
sadly for him, we'll have the 1st pick in 2019 too smile

you can run, but you can't hide

Funniest thing ever! thumbsup

3rd_and_20 #1375617 12/18/17 11:58 AM
Legend
Legend
'Sam Darnold says he won’t stay at USC just to avoid Browns'

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...o-avoid-browns/

Posted by Josh Alper on November 28, 2017, 10:41 AM EST

Before the start of the 2017 season, USC quarterback Sam Darnold said that no team should tank in order to get the top pick and guarantee themselves a chance to draft him next April.

It doesn’t appear any team has done that, which would have been a dicey proposition for reasons that include Darnold’s remaining eligibility at the NCAA level. Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com touched on that in a radio interview early this month when he reported that Darnold was expected to wait to make a decision until he knew which teams would be picking at the top of the draft.

The Browns’ 0-11 record has them on the inside track for the first overall pick and Breer said Darnold could stay in L.A. if that’s how things play out. On Monday, Darnold denied he wants to avoid Cleveland.

β€œI didn’t say anything about the Browns,” Darnold said, via the Orange County Register. β€œI’ve never said anything bad about a team. They know I would never say anything.”

There are plenty of reasons why Darnold might opt to stay at USC for a third season as the school’s starting quarterback. If the Browns do have the first overall pick and he makes that choice, there will be plenty of people connecting the dots regardless of how Darnold explains his decision.

bonefish #1375640 12/18/17 12:41 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd also think about Josh Gordon and the many picks the Browns have and that they realize the cupboard is bare at the position. A kid could be stepping into a pretty nice situation if things play out right.

bonefish #1375655 12/18/17 01:16 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was pimping Darnold before the college season. This season he showed some warts early but seemed to work them out. I watched the USC-UCLA game specifically to see Darnold and Rosen in a side-by-side comparison.

Rosen was better that day and showed himself to be more NFL ready. He was working under center and in shot-gun, making pre and post snap reads, working through progressions, and making strong accurate throws. He threw receivers open on at least 2-3 occasions, as I recall. The knocks on him are that he's not terribly mobile and there are rumors he's not well liked by teammates and coaches. I would hope that maturity can remedy that.

Darnold is the better athlete and has proven to be a good field general, inspiring his team to play at a higher level. He can make all the throws, avoid pressure in the pocket and is effective when he has to run. But on that day (at least) he seemed to lock in on his primary receiver and didn't always go through progressions if that receiver was covered. He did sometimes, but not consistently. The commentators used that to suggest he would be better served to spend another year in college and I found myself in agreement.

They are both good QB prospects, and I would be happy with either choice. I believe Rosen is more pro ready and can be an excellent NFL QB. I also believe that Darnold has the higher upside because he's more dynamic on the field. But he has less experience in a pro-style offense and needs to learn to work through progressions more consistently. And Cleveland has a pretty poor record with developing QBs. At this point in time, I'm leaning more towards Rosen, but that could change as the draft process advances.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
brownie

And Happy Birthday!
thanks Vers!

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
3rd_and_20 #1375677 12/18/17 01:36 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Yeah right...not "just to avoid the Browns" LOL. These kids aren't stupid. If any of the top 5 NCAA QB's can possibly avoid being drafted by the Brown's they're going to try that route. Stop fooling yourselves.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

Yeah right...not "just to avoid the Browns" LOL. These kids aren't stupid. If any of the top 5 NCAA QB's can possibly avoid being drafted by the Brown's they're going to try that route. Stop fooling yourselves.

Every QB picked at the top of the 1st round is going to a bad team. You're viewing their decision making through your muddied lens. That doesn't make it a fact.

Re; the other article. I wasn't intimating you were intentionally being misleading, just that the article was, and it was written to stir controversy simply for the sake of it. Had you dug into it a little, you'd have seen Darnold's statement on the matter.

I get your frustration, but the football world unlikely sees the situation here as grimly as you and others do. Of course I'm frustrated too. In my view, things have sucked since Sipe. I was never a Bernie or a Shotty fan, so even those years were grim for me. However, Darnold, Rosen, or whoever gets drafted will likely come here with the idea and attitude that they can help turn this thing around. Most (reasonable people) in football see the franchise as a few moves away from being competitive. One of those moves is a QB. They guy who does it will be a hero forever. Not a bad place to begin your career, IMHO.

#gmstrong
bonefish #1375725 12/18/17 02:54 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
I've always heard that Sam Darnold was going back to school this year. I believe I've said it dozens of times on here (including last year when he became more publicly known).

The fact that he might go back to school makes for a nice, easy story to write about the Browns being very horrible. The comments and clicks are easy on that one.

CalDawg #1375743 12/18/17 03:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Every QB picked at the top of the 1st round is going to a bad team.

What other teams are picking QB's at the top of the 1st round that has lost 30 games in the last 2 years and not been to the playoffs since Sam Darnold was in 1st or 2nd grade?

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

What other teams are picking QB's at the top of the 1st round that has lost 30 games in the last 2 years and not been to the playoffs since Sam Darnold was in 1st or 2nd grade?

Are you telling me you have intimate knowledge of Darnold's thought process? What's he having for dinner?

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1375751 12/18/17 03:23 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
on the other article. I wasn't intimating you were intentionally being misleading,

No I wasn't. I posted the article in the subject with story and link, no comment from me. Good day sir.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
on the other article. I wasn't intimating you were intentionally being misleading,

No I wasn't. I posted the article in the subject with story and link, no comment from me. Good day sir.

I realize that. Good day to you, Mister Spiral.

#gmstrong
1oldMutt #1375757 12/18/17 03:30 PM
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
I'd also think about Josh Gordon and the many picks the Browns have and that they realize the cupboard is bare at the position. A kid could be stepping into a pretty nice situation if things play out right.

Agreed with this. We've got some nice talent on the offense. Incomplete, but certainly plenty to work with.

On top of that, this cap space and litany of draft selections could do a whole lot of good towards building around a quarterback.

One thing that I think could be very attractive about this situation - that quarterback is going to be specifically built around. He isn't coming in to a situation in which he needs to adapt, but rather a situation that will be adapted to utilize his strengths.

CalDawg #1375760 12/18/17 03:32 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Are you telling me you have intimate knowledge of Darnold's thought process?

No. I'm realistic and I'm betting he stays in school and away from Browns football.

– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Are you telling me you have intimate knowledge of Darnold's thought process?

No. I'm realistic and I'm betting he stays in school and away from Browns football.

You're probably almost as right as the flip of the coin. We'll see. I'm more like the dude who bet his paycheck against Darnold's first check next year that he will declare. He'd either owe the guy his first NFL check or nothing at all from his college check. I wonder which paycheck Darnold will choose. That's me being realistic.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1375803 12/18/17 04:52 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When the agents line up and say "kid you are going in the top five no doubt".

Not many turn away from that.

There was one quote I read about Darnold recently that stuck with me. "It was never about academics".

If Darnold in his own mind believes he needs to stay "to get better prepared for NFL" then most likely he will stay.

If he comes to the conclusion that college ball has no more to offer in improvement; then he most likely will declare.

bonefish #1375815 12/18/17 05:17 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree. I don't think he'll return to school because the Brown "might" draft him. He may not even be the #1 QB on their board. Not declaring based on the possibility we could draft him would be hilariously comical, absolutely ridiculous, and financially irresponsible.

#gmstrong
CalDawg #1375819 12/18/17 05:45 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

All I hope is that he declares.

Hopefully Dorsey has the pick of the litter.

It is not an easy call between Darnold and Rosen.

At the same time there is no reason why both can't succeed.

During "the process" my hope is that Rosen is cleared from the personality questions. One way or the other I would like to know more about Rosen as a leader.

Each man is different. I never try to compare guys to other players. But guys like Jeff George and Cutler never reached their potential as players because of their personal characteristics not because of their tool set.

I don't know Rosen. What I see on the field is a heck of a player. I don't think it is fair to judge him from what others have written when there has been no direct contact with him.

Darnold there are no questions regarding his leadership qualities. He has some things that are very correctable to get cleaned up. But I love this guy in the clutch.

bonefish #1375825 12/18/17 06:11 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Being the star QB in LA is unlike anything else in the NCAA. I bet he stays.

bonefish #1375862 12/18/17 08:36 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I heard on the radio that Sam Darnold's grandfather was a former "Marlboro Man". His name was Dick Hammer.

Dave #1375866 12/18/17 08:43 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave
I heard on the radio that Sam Darnold's grandfather was a former "Marlboro Man". His name was Dick Hammer.

You have me on ignore?

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ine#Post1238073

https://www.dawgtalkers.net/ubbthreads.ph...ght#Post1263524

cfrs15 #1375891 12/18/17 09:34 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
No, I generally look for your posts, but I missed those. Mea culpa.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Sam Darnold

Link Copied to Clipboard