Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Did the coaches say that or did you read it from fans on a message board?

Was commenting on the board discussion, which I assumed you were also.

C
Legend
Legend
C
From former NFL All-Pro linebacker Keith Bulluck:

Quote:
These coaches are getting paid real money for this bs?? Yo put my name in for coaching jobs in 2018. I’ll coach circles around these Urkels...on baby lol

https://twitter.com/kbull53/status/942800455402434561

(Click the link for the video.)

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Browns need to work with Danny Shelton on his drop covering dragging TE's. I can't help but laugh. I'm sure this is why we drafted Shelton. "Scheme to your players strengths," I hear.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/942810017127960578

V
Legend
Legend
V
Is there a team in the NFL who doesn't drop their defensive linemen on occasion? But, it's cool to make fun of the DC when your team is losing.

Legend
Legend
We play off WRs, allowing Quick throws.

Quick throws negate the Pass Rush.

Playing off negates the CBs.

It’s not the CBs or the DL.

It’s the scheme. It doesn’t work. We know it doesn’t work. But we won’t change it.

Better players won’t make this scheme better.

Am I the only one that pronounces hyperbole "Hyper-bowl" instead of "hy-per-bo-le"?
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Quote:
Browns need to work with Danny Shelton on his drop covering dragging TE's. I can't help but laugh. I'm sure this is why we drafted Shelton. "Scheme to your players strengths," I hear.

https://twitter.com/jake_burns18/status/942810017127960578

Been a rough week on social media for Gregg Williams. These last two games have made it glaringly obvious that he's terrible at his job.

Last edited by BDU; 12/18/17 03:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
These last two games have made it glaringly obvious that he's terrible at his job.

saywhat

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What I hear and what I see seem to be worlds apart IMO. Whatever the adjustments or attempted solutions are seem lousy. We get softer and second half losses keep coming around.

The song remains the same it seems.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe we'll find GW's defense gets better as our talent pool deepens and our current talent improves. Frustration causes us to view the world dimly.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
We play off WRs, allowing Quick throws.

Quick throws negate the Pass Rush.

Playing off negates the CBs.

It’s not the CBs or the DL.

It’s the scheme. It doesn’t work. We know it doesn’t work. But we won’t change it.

Better players won’t make this scheme better.

We play our CB's off to keep them from stealing Daylon McCutcheon's nickname. Most of our CB's (none?) can handle consistently playing press. We have a dangerous mix of youth, inexperience, and inability.

That said, I think that we should be blitzing less but playing tighter whenever possible. I don't doubt that we've tried that and found that we still get shredded, however. We just don't have enough talent deep enough to hold up.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
We have a dangerous mix of youth, inexperience, and inability.

Great line.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I wish Jimmy would fire Hue, promote Williams to HC and hire an OC. #Continuity

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I could live with that

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Is there a team in the NFL who doesn't drop their defensive linemen on occasion? But, it's cool to make fun of the DC when your team is losing.

Don't bother Vers...he don't know what football is...just an Online guy who can get you info...thats it.

But yeah I did notice that in the What I saw stuff. I didn't like it too much...In all 3 cases...we dropped Larry O earlier before those other two...but then it wasn't on twitter you had to actually watch the game.

But all 3 cases...they should have continued rushing the passer as Corey's drop to the side there on Flacco's TD didn't cover an open WR just helped an already covered man.

Shelton so that is who that was...tried but was no where near Watson so why bother...again loop him somewhere in the pass rush.

I wasn't sure if there any other attempts. What I do see is a Coach trying anything and everything to try to get a turnover or something cause our OFFENSE just is that bad.

Again if yo can watch this game (not you but the haters)
and tell me Why is he getting a free pass. and don't see the good job being done. I don't know is it me???

Nah I know my football is good.

16 total Defense...what were we last year??? 30, 31 or 32.
7 Rush Defense...what were we last year??? 30, 31 or 32.
21 pass defense...what were we last year??? 30, 31 or 32.

Come on man...lol laugh
Kept it in simple stats for guys like cfrs

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I never liked Gregg Williams due to some personal issues, but the guy is a respected for his knowledge, schemes, and having good defenses. I won't ignore that.

It bothers me that all these guys pretend they actually understand the schemes and are coaching geniuses because they played Madden.

Our coaching staff is fine. I tried telling people before the year that our secondary was weak and said the same about the QBs and WRs.

I'm not surprised by the results, but I think it's wrong for all these guys to pretend that our coaches suck. We're damn lucky to have both.

C
Legend
Legend
C

I don't know how much the league would like to have Gregg Williams as a head coach.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Not knocking your opinion, but moving DC to HC, bringing in an OC and then needing a DC because the old one is now HC does not strike me as Continuity.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Here are all easy completions that were a direct result of soft coverage by Browns corners over last 3 weeks.

Does not include:
*Mid of field throws/completions
*TE completions
*M2M Slot completions
*Deep throws up sideline

These are just soft coverage easy throws in 3 weeks.

(Video in the link.)

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
To answer the OP directly: personnel

Gregg typically plays way more nickel and dime personnel.

But, this team doesn't have enough good DB's for that style of defense.

All the LBs usually play the whole game, that's unheard of in the modern NFL.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: edromeo

This confuses me. Greg Williams boasts and brags that he rotates his d-line so often so they stay fresh, yet does the opposite for LB's. Seems counter intuitive.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

This confuses me. Greg Williams boasts and brags that he rotates his d-line so often so they stay fresh, yet does the opposite for LB's. Seems counter intuitive.

It also means backs and tight ends kill us on the regular.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I'm starting to think that Williams is nothing but a blow hard, that had a couple teams with tons of talent make him look good. The whole game is the same, and teams repeatedly run the same stuff over and over and he doesn't scheme to stop it. How many frickin screens did Flacco throw? I think we broke up one.

With the recievers in the NFL nowadays, you can't just let them keep having 5 to 7 yard pass plays constantly, playing to keep them in front of you. We get no INTS due to the fact that most recievers are covered by one guy, and any safety help is ten yards away. There is little resistance from DBs, and many are easy uncontested receptions. Meanwhile, Peppers, who's strength tackling and being physical, is sitting a mile away and is expected to cover many yards after the catch is made. Then when they blitz, if the back makes one guy miss, he will not be touched for at least five yards. They have been good against the run, but when a back gets loose from the backfield, they got plenty room to scamper.

TEs do a simple chip on a DE, and they are wide open across the line of scrimmage. It's maddening.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
P
Legend
Legend
P
He's no different than any other coach in the NFL. If you give him the personnel to run his schemes, he'll produce well for you. When you have an attorney and a numbers guy doing the draft, that doesn't always work out so well.

In his first season, our D has improved in every measurable. Our fans are just so miserable they're pointing fingers in directions where they don't belong.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
ok, pit. in Williams first year our defense has improved in every measurable. where did the personnel come from to run the Williams system and improve the defense?? did someone just find them on our doorstep?? or did the attorney and the numbers guy pick them in the draft. guys like ogbah, Garrett, ogunjobi, Foley, schobert and Collins. I think the idea that our guys brought in a bunch of hacks is just wrong.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
And who is to say our defense wouldn't be better with a better or just another DC?

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
device, that is an unanswerable question because this exact defense will never be coached by anyone else. but my point was that our much maligned fo has assembled a pretty good defensive front seven.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Possibly the drop in talent is so immense we can't afford to rotate the LBs and most teams keep the LBs intact throughout the game with exception to Nickle and Dime packages.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It was rhetorical.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
ok, pit. in Williams first year our defense has improved in every measurable. where did the personnel come from to run the Williams system and improve the defense?? did someone just find them on our doorstep?? or did the attorney and the numbers guy pick them in the draft. guys like ogbah, Garrett, ogunjobi, Foley, schobert and Collins. I think the idea that our guys brought in a bunch of hacks is just wrong.

Where your theory may be flawed is how good are some of the guys you mentioned honestly? While it's nice to list those names, could it be they're being played to get the very most out of their talent by Williams and with another coach or system they wouldn't look so good?

Some people seem to believe that just because they're the best talent on a very poor team, suddenly they're very good to great players. The reason they're playing is because they're the best players on a poor team. What that actually means is anyone's guess, but it doesn't automatically mean they're as good as Browns fans believe they are.

If players don't produce they want to blame the coach. If players do produce, they don't want to give the the coach credit.

It's pretty obvious to see here. If they don't produce it's the fault of the coach. If they do play well it's because of the brilliant FO. It's not hard to see the thinly veiled one sided approach being used.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's pretty obvious to see here. If they don't produce it's the fault of the coach. If they do play well it's because of the brilliant FO. It's not hard to see the thinly veiled one sided approach being used.

Or they are just talented players and they should get the credit.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It could go either way. We certainly don't know the answer to that.

#gmstrong
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It could go either way. We certainly don't know the answer to that.

This is hilarious. Reminds me of the Corey Fuller days of him being a STUD. Lmao

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Questions abound with coordinator Greg Williams’ defense, too. The one nobody can answer: Why do the safeties play so freakin’ deep? Cleveland’s safeties routinely align 18-20 yards off the ball, and offenses routinely complete 15- to 18-yard passes in front of them. Williams has also played a ton of base 4-3 personnel, lately even when the offense goes with extra wide receivers in obvious passing situations. Because linebackers can’t cover wide receivers man-to-man, the Browns are obligated to constantly play zone. They do, often while bringing a disguised blitz. It’s a boom-or-bust approach that’s great when it works but horrible when it doesn’t. Most defenses only play this way if they have quality cover guys and an iffy front seven. That’s not necessarily Cleveland’s makeup.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/27/hue-ja...er-jimmy-haslam

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Gregg Williams has easily been the most frustrating part of this season. It isn't just his mistakes, but his blind recalcitrance to stand by his mistakes and allow them to continuously happen.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Am I in like an alternate universe...why do I see good things from the defense and from Williams. I mean yeah we are losing games...but I really don't see that much the fault of the defense.

Do we forget so soon what our defense was playing like the last 3 season or so???

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: eotab
Am I in like an alternate universe...why do I see good things from the defense and from Williams. I mean yeah we are losing games...but I really don't see that much the fault of the defense.

Do we forget so soon what our defense was playing like the last 3 season or so???

I like the progress made, but a large part of that has been the trade off allowed against the pass.

The Browns allow an astonishing 102 passer rating. A 27-to-6 TD/INT ratio with a completion percentage of 67.7% at 7.3 yards per attempt. There is a legitimate case to be made that the Browns are the worst team in the NFL against the pass.

That is only slightly improved from the team last year that was decimated by injury, boasted far less talent and was even younger - yet the team has regressed in allowing a higher competition percentage, a higher passer rating and fewer turnovers.

The Browns blitz more than any team in the NFL yet apply less pressure than anyone else, and are only 20th overall in sacks. This is one reason why the run game is so good, but it isn't helping against the pass.

A large part of that, in my opinion, is because of Gregg Williams, not the team. He lines up his defenders too deep, doesn't play enough heavy-DB packages so he constantly puts linebackers in difficult coverage situations, he blitzes too much without results and he often boasts of his "bend but don't break" defense that is 15th in big plays given up.

What we were playing like the last three seasons isn't much a change from what we're playing like now - the only difference is that this team has a lot more talent than previous years. I can at least give Jackson credit because the past few drafts have seen a heavy focus on the defense, but Williams isn't using that talent in a very productive way.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Ogbah, Collins back plus a bonafide free safety and an extra (couple) of DBs fixes all that ails the defense. Maybe Wilson can be on of those pieces. Another legit coverage LB / S (hello Peppers?) would also benefit. The defense hasn’t made enough plays to change games but that’s probably from being on the field so long - we rank 3rd from bottom at 46%. I’m not convinced as we haven’t adjusted to the short passing games which have killed us but the defense has kept us in numerous games that we may have won with mediocre offense. Just my 2p.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Offenses from Flacco to Hundley...from Stafford to Trubisky...from Dalton to Brisset...all get what they want and when they want it.

Our vaunted defense is a fraud.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Offenses from Flacco to Hundley...from Stafford to Trubisky...from Dalton to Brisset...all get what they want and when they want it.

Our vaunted defense is a fraud.

We are really good against the run, but it is probably because we are selling out to do so. We play three linebackers a ton which leaves us vulnerable to running backs and tight ends catching passes.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Thats BS ...

Our run D is VERY GOOD ... when healthy, its as good a front 7 as their is in the NFL ...

I don’t know what to think of Williams .. it BOGGLES MY MIND how he keeps playing the same D and expects different results ... but let not get STUPID HERE ...

Our run D is VERY GOOD when healthy ... our front 7 is on par with anyone else’s in the NFL ...

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Why is Gregg Williams getting a pass?

Link Copied to Clipboard