Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1379456 12/27/17 09:05 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Potential Browns QB target Josh Rosen: 'I'd rather be a lower pick at the right team than higher at the wrong team'

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ss...art_river_index

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Josh Rosen keeps making headlines for acknowledging the obvious

Posted by Mike Florio on December 27, 2017, 7:20 AM EST

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen brings to the NFL a mindset that will prompt him to say what he thinks, and to do so in a frank, thought-provoking way. His tendency to speak his mind will make the things he says more likely to be noticed and repeated, even when the things he says are obvious.

For example, on Tuesday Rosen said this about his draft aspirations, via ESPN.com: “I’d rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team.”

Every player should feel that way. Most won’t say it, however, because they’re conditioned to believe that being drafted higher is always better, given the uncanny ability of the NFL to sell to players the notion that it’s somehow an honor to be forced to start their professional careers not in the place of their own choosing but based on which of 32 companies involuntarily chooses them.

Rosen is quickly becoming the NFL’s E.F. Hutton (Google it, kids), with his candid remarks resonating for the media, even if it’s simply the rare instance of one of the supposed robots becoming self-aware and saying things that could prompt NFL teams to fear that this one could make the other robots self-aware, too.

Consider Rosen’s remarks from over the weekend regarding the decision of certain players to skip bowl games: “A lot of people bash them, but some of them have to realize that some of these guys have families. Some of these guys have kids. Some of these guys really have to support the people around them. Some of them maybe have been put in unfortunate circumstances where they can’t afford to be in school for another year. They might want to, and people in the media may not give them that shot that there’s a part of them that may want to be in college, that may want to play in this bowl game. But if they feel they’ve locked in their future earnings to take care of their kids or that care of their kid or family, sisters, brother, whatever then I think people should really look into their story and see how football is affecting their life. . . .

“Players are just starting to realize that they have a lot of power and they don’t need to be exploited when it’s to their detriment.”

Rosen is absolutely right. But there will be scouts and coaches who absolutely won’t want him to be talking like that, because that’s the kind of talking and thinking that gets other players to question things. And the NFL doesn’t want players to be questioning too many things.

There’s a certain courage, whether Rosen realizes it or not, to his willingness to speak so openly about so many institutions that have been baked into the NFL experience. For now, he has the actual or perceived talent to overcome the issues that his brain and his vocal cords may create. The moment he doesn’t, however, is the moment he’ll be labeled a “distraction” and be shunned.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Mike Florio is all ...

"LEAVE JOSH ROSEN ALONE!!"

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So do you tell him tough ...um... beans and pick him anyhow or pick someone else?

Legend
Legend
We should let him go sit on some other teams concussion protocol list.

#GMSTRONG
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah I'd pick him anyway.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
What is the going rate for the #1 pick? This years & next years 1st round and some lower rounders?

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: MrTed
What is the going rate for the #1 pick? This years & next years 1st round and some lower rounders?

I don't know, but if trade down, or if we don't pick a QB with that first pick? Expect looting & rioting in Cleveland.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I asked this before, but who of the possible QBs coming out this year exhibits these characteristics that Dorsey states.

"The first step in that process has to be finding a franchise quarterback who can lead the team out of the doldrums. In a quarterback-driven league, it is imperative to have a QB1 capable of winning at the highest level. Dorsey alluded to that fact when he addressed what he looks for in a quarterback in his introductory press conference.

"Got to win -- No. 1," Dorsey said, per the Akron Beacon Journal. "You have to have the physical skills that we all see. Feet are important in today's football. Accuracy is very important. Do they have the mindset of the head coach? Can they comprehend and digest that playbook?

"Do guys naturally gravitate to him from a leadership component? What does he do in adverse situations? How does he react? Can he extend the play? Can he drive it and win it at the end of the game? These are the little things you look for."

Much as I like Rosen's physical traits and arm talent, I do not believe he exhibits all the things Dorsey is looking for. In my opinion, I see Darnold and Mayfield - not sure about Allen.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Rosen, Darnold, Jackson and maybe Mayfield imo

C
Legend
Legend
C
This:

Quote:
I don’t have the full quote, but he followed this by saying NFL teams would have a better idea than he would about whether or not he fits in their culture. His point was about hoping for a good match, not about dodging teams he doesn’t want to go to.

https://twitter.com/AdamStites_/status/945850185875206144

is in response to this:

Quote:
UCLA QB Josh Rosen on getting drafted by certain teams, if he comes out this year: “I’d rather be a lower pick at the right team than a higher at the wrong team.”

https://twitter.com/joshweinfuss/status/945723557413351424

When given the full context, the quote makes a lot more sense.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
He hedges so much of his speech. Is his family connected politically? It's not usual where a college QB has a better media roll out than most politicians. The immediate comment after releasing a trial balloon was spectacular. I felt like I was being indoctrinated by a Clinton.

D
Legend
Legend
D
This is just FWIW, but I heard Grossi on the radio this morning saying that a draft guru named Tony Pauline said earlier this year that there were 2 NFL GMs who "would not touch" Josh Rosen because of his personality shortcomings. Grossi then went on to say that Pauline has since revealed that John Dorsey was one of the GMs he was referring to.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
He hedges so much of his speech. Is his family connected politically? It's not usual where a college QB has a better media roll out than most politicians. The immediate comment after releasing a trial balloon was spectacular. I felt like I was being indoctrinated by a Clinton.

Just for clarification, all of these quotes were on the same day, they just got publicized at different times for some reason.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Just for clarification, all of these quotes were on the same day, they just got publicized at different times for some reason.

Trial balloon was the story about him not wanting to play for the Browns. The full quote is an example of hedging.

Legend
Legend

Every year I have heard stuff like what is being said about Rosen.

First off I have not seen him quoted that he will not play for the Browns. Nor have I seen him quoted about declaring yet.

The Giants don't look much better than the Browns. For all there "stability" how many coaches have they gone through lately?

They have Eli. They have no problem throwing him out the door.

The NFL is a business. The owners and players view it as a business.

When Rosen actually says something definitive then I will react. Until then the Browns don't need to smokescreen. They have the number one pick. They will and should exhaust the process.

There is a long way to go until the draft. The Browns have plenty of time to kick the tires on all the prospects.

I have not seen or heard a thing that changes my mind.

I like Rosen and Darnold. Both bring skills to the table that will help them succeed in the NFL.

Hopefully both declare (which is what I believe will happen). Rosen has little reason to stay. Darnold? I still believe when his people are told unanimously that he will be a top five pick that he will return to USC.

Will another year playing in the USC offense make him any better of a pro prospect? Will another year help him get drafted higher than this year?

No team drafting in the top five are in any better position to get "good" than the Browns. All the bad teams have a hill to climb.

All this noise is just food for the media and fans.

The GM's, the players and their people will prepare to go through the process.

We can kick the can till draft day.

S
Legend
Legend
S
If Rosen doesn't want to play in Cleveland, that's fine by me.

He's a really good college QB, and an amazing prospect, easily the best in this draft. He has all the tools, he has the size and frame. He just looks the part.

But for the Browns organization to turn around, it's going to take someone really special, and really tough to play that position, and it's probably going to have to happen pretty quick.

The Browns need a guy who isn't going to run from adversity. That's not a total knock on Rosen. I think he can go play somewhere else and be a fine quarterback, but it kinda tells me he doesn't have what it takes to turn this horrible situation around.

I think Kizer has the toughness and attitutde to be that guy, but I don't think he has the raw quarterback skills to do it.

I do think that if the Browns were to fire Hue Jackson, and bring in a guy who has done it elsewhere, that could change the attitudes of guys like Rosen, but I don't know if that's going to happen.

I think about a guy like Cam Newton, who went to a bad situation in Carolina. Obviously it is not anywhere near as bad as Cleveland's situation, but either way, he spit in the face of adversity and turned them into a very good team and a better organization (outside of recent issues with Jerry Richardson)

The Browns take a ton of crap, but they are in a horrible situation, because they are so limited at QB, their coach isn't good enough, they have an owner who still doesn't understand the job, and a fan base that has been waiting forever.

With a better quarterback, I think this team is right around the 5 win mark, which is probably where they should be considering it is in the midst of a rebuild.

If Rosen is serious about not wanting to play in Cleveland, I think the Browns would be right in still drafting him, and holding him hostage. That also works out for Rosen, because he can basically tell the Browns where he wants to go. If the Browns simply passed on him, he could possibly be at the hands of the draft, given that the #2 team doesn't try to draft and trade him.

With Cleveland possibly having the 4 or 5 pick, they still get to grab a player high, and will have more draft picks. I am more than ok with this, and that's coming from a guy who's been sick of the trading back every single year.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't like what he's saying, but I also don't blame him. I mean, we got to where we are right now (as a team) for a reason. We suck, and when we get to a point where nobody thinks we can suck any more, we redefine suck so that we CAN suck more.

This thing is, I'm starting to like Rosen more. It seems (to me) that he just refuses to put a filter on his mouth. Just because you don't have a filter doesn't necessarily make you a locker room cancer. Honestly, if his attitude really is what I'm thinking, it might be the best thing for this offense and team. A guy that tells it like it is, with the talent to back it up.

This Rosen thing also makes me happy we have Dorsey in the building instead of Sashi making this call. I trust Dorsey WAAAY more than a Sashi/Hue combo. Dorsey needs to get a sit down with this kid, and they need to hash out whether this is going to work or not. If Rosen really does just tell it like it is, then I think Dorsey will be able to get to the bottom of it and make the right decision.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dave
Mike Florio is all ...

"LEAVE JOSH ROSEN ALONE!!"

Nah, it's much more manly consistently trying to destroy the character of a 20 year old kid.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Maybe we should make a list of the players coming out in the draft that WANT to be here and only pick from them. From the looks of our record maybe that's what we've been doing all along.

No, that's right, Myles Garret didn't want to be here either. I think we should trade him right away! lmao at some of you people.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Your not concerned at all with his concussions? ... or the fact he’s very slight of build? ...

I’ve watched 5 games so far ... LOVE what he can do ... but his “build” and concussions are weighing on my mind ...

Your thoughts on those two particular issues please ...

P
Legend
Legend
P
The concussions certainly have to be a consideration. However, I'm not too concerned about his build. He's a 20 year old kid who is 6'4". I'd be willing to bet he puts on a good bit of weight over the next 4 years. Aaron Rodgers looked like a toothpick when he was drafted.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The concussions certainly have to be a consideration. However, I'm not too concerned about his build. He's a 20 year old kid who is 6'4". I'd be willing to bet he puts on a good bit of weight over the next 4 years. Aaron Rodgers looked like a toothpick when he was drafted.

Also, he's had two concussions. How many concussions have QBs had that we never even knew about when they drafted?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm still trying to get the leg issue addressed.... Has he had some knee or leg problems ???? Mobility ??

P
Legend
Legend
P

Also, he's had two concussions. How many concussions have QBs had that we never even knew about when they drafted?

Back in the day it was, "how many fingers am I holding up", a little smelling salts, you were told to, "walk it off" and back in the game you went.

It's hard to imagine just how many concussions a typical QB had many years ago. But we know a lot more about head injuries these days and people act accordingly.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Exactly , the only reason we even know about these two concussions is because this has become a hot key issue. Two concussions PFFFFFFT thats nothing , the reality is that just about every player suffers multiple concussions every year , all the way down through HS.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Your not concerned at all with his concussions? ... or the fact he’s very slight of build? ...

I’ve watched 5 games so far ... LOVE what he can do ... but his “build” and concussions are weighing on my mind ...

Your thoughts on those two particular issues please ...

This concerns me way more than his comments... we need a better o-line or a qb who gets less concussions.... once you have a concussion it's much easier to get another...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dorsey loves Mayfield. Guess who we're drafting...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
Nah, it's much more manly consistently trying to destroy the character of a 20 year old kid.

Get off your high horse, no one was doing that. It was a frigging joke.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

I have a feeling (unless he does something terrible before draft day) it may very well be him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoH9MKGRuN0

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
I'm still trying to get the leg issue addressed.... Has he had some knee or leg problems ???? Mobility ??

I have no clue about his knee ... none ...

He moves around the pocket just fine ... i’m Not worried about his mobility ...

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is definitely slight of frame, that is a concern of mine for sure. If he had Darnolds size he is one of the best prospects in a long time. Goff was slight of frame too but he is trashing the league. Rosen listed at 218 (yeah right), Goff listed at 205, I bet they are both about the same.

Rosen is the guy I would take.

Legend
Legend
He will get bigger with natural maturation.

Concussions are a cocern for all who play football.

Like all the prospects he will receive a complete physical. It is up to the medical team to decide if his physical state will be a issue.

In the end this is why Dorsey was hired.

We can only hope he will make good decisions.

I like Rosen. I also like Darnold. Allen intrigues me.

I want a guy who can win.

We have lost so many games I am numb from losing.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Dorsey has said he doesn't like Rosen....if the reports are accurate.

He said that a few months ago and we were vetting him a few months ago, so maybe he was blowing smoke anticipating being hired by the Browns.

He has gone big 12 before....He does seem to like Mayfield, and I do too....as far as I know. He does seem like a game player.

If we do take him, we probably don't need to throw him out there game 1. It would be nice to have a vet to transition to him. Then again, the kid has a fire. Maybe that is what we need.

Some compare him to Johnny. I get that. I am just not sure he is the party animal Johnny was. Johnny had game just like Baker does...I think that is the better comparison.

He might be our guy.

One game can't sum things up, but he beat a really good OSU team early, and now faces a really good Georgia team in the Rose Bowl. If he balls out, win or lose, it has to raise your eyebrows.

It's pretty cool Georgia is in the Rose. SEC teams don't usually play there. Oklahoma for that matter. I like it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dave
This is just FWIW, but I heard Grossi on the radio this morning saying that a draft guru named Tony Pauline said earlier this year that there were 2 NFL GMs who "would not touch" Josh Rosen because of his personality shortcomings. Grossi then went on to say that Pauline has since revealed that John Dorsey was one of the GMs he was referring to.

Pauline is now an OBR Insider. He posted this very thing on the subscriber section of the OBR a week or so ago. It has long been suspected that guys like Grossi subscribe to the OBR to get their inside info. Unless Pauline has come out with this publicly, this would somewhat support that.

Btw, Dorsey strikes me as a total meathead that would pass on Rosen out of pride and ego over some words.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know what is what, but Dorsey does seem like a meat head, just to listen to him talk.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks for verifying. At least Grossi didn't claim the info was from "anonymous sources" (a la Schefter and LaCanfora); he attributed it.

As for Dorsey, I see no reason to think he's a meathead at this point, other than his overly brash statement about his predecessors not getting any "real" players. I think he has clarified that statement and walked it back a bit. Anyway, I'm glad he's picking players now instead of Sashi.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Dorsey has said he doesn't like Rosen....if the reports are accurate...
Link?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Dorsey has said he doesn't like Rosen....if the reports are accurate...
Link?

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2017/12/26/cleveland-browns-dorsey-rosen-fan/

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Josh Rosen - continued

Link Copied to Clipboard