Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The better evals are those who compare him to Johnny Manziel and consider him too short, or make up stuff about lack of arm strength, right?

Both are bad.

So my evaluation is bad because... it's accurate?

I'm not making stuff up about being weak armed or the next Johnny manziel or big 12 QBs never amount to anything.

If Mayfield was 2 inches taller he'd be the consensus #1 pick. He is not prototypical size, and he's been arrested. Those are the flaws that have been pointed out by several people. If those are the 2 reasons you don't want him so be it.

The maturity lapses on the field are an issue as well. He could grow out of that, but that comparison to Manziel is real and could lose you a game or two.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

The maturity lapses on the field are an issue as well. He could grow out of that, but that comparison to Manziel is real and could lose you a game or two.

Sorry, but the comparison to Manziel is not real. They are only similar in height, but Mayfield is almost an inch taller. There will be minor similarities naturally, but their games are completely different.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Oklahomas offense doesn't require him.to.throw to covered WRs.
Im.not so sure Mayfield can put the ball in a tight window with a 320 lb lineman bearing down on him.
Plus I just don't recall any qb in a Sooner uni being successful in the NFL ...Jason White ...Sam Bradford....nope I don't see it
Some schools just don't produce certain positions in the NFL
The Buckeyes don't put out NFL qbs but they do WRS and secondary players

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Some schools just don't produce certain positions in the NFL

This is lazy.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
North Dakota State isn't known for producing NFL quarterbacks. Would have been a good reason to pass on Wentz.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Sorry, but the comparison to Manziel is not real. They are only similar in height, but Mayfield is almost an inch taller. There will be minor similarities naturally, but their games are completely different.

So you don't think he's had maturity lapses on the field?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Quote:

As far as what? Crotch grabbing? I'm not denying he did it. But to know and understand the situation wouldn't deter me from drafting him. It would actually help especially being the Browns, we need passionate players in Cleveland. We need that. I love how he is determined to proove everyone wrong. It also helps he has all the tools you want in your quarterback. But ok yes, you should vet Mayfield and make sure these aren't reoccurring issues. I believe they won't be a factor.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

As far as what? Crotch grabbing? I'm not denying he did it. But to know and understand the situation wouldn't deter me from drafting him. It would actually help especially being the Browns, we need passionate players in Cleveland. We need that. I love how he is determined to proove everyone wrong. It also helps he has all the tools you want in your quarterback. But ok yes, you should vet Mayfield and make sure these aren't reoccurring issues. I believe they won't be a factor.

Don't forget planting the flag at OSU, running from the cops, flipping the bird, etc... They are already reoccurring issues, but young players do stupid things. What you are calling passion, I am calling stupidity. That's the last thing you want from your QB because the rest of the team will be following that lead. Talent wise I'm really trying hard not to like the kid so much because of mainly this and also a little because of his height. If we don't draft Mayfield, I won't blink because I can't be a fly on the wall in the interview room.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
There are 3 things about Mayfield that give me pause.

1) Height - not the biggest concern. Other 6'1" QBs around, it's harder but not impossible.

2) Game style - his game is a lot of movement out of the pocket. There have been a few QBs who can do that successfully, but most end up either hurt or gun shy after getting hit repeatedly by the bigger, faster NFL players.

3) Immaturity - crotch grab, flag plant, no handshakes, flipping the bird, running from the police. This is my biggest concern. This is where I see the Manziel parallel. Maybe he'll grow up, but maybe he'll be a major problem for whatever team drafts him.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Lol @ flag planting being a maturity issue.

I would kill for a QB who would do that after a win.

you had a good run Hank.
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I wake up to read Doug Flutie slander. smh Might have to go back to bed now.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Thebigbaddawg
Lol @ flag planting being a maturity issue.

I would kill for a QB who would do that after a win.
I'd just kill for a win

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

even before the game. Reports of him throwing warm up passes at the heads of opponents are in another thread. This from yesterday: link.

Just how old is this guy?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Mayfield is very good from the pocket. He'll stand in there and take a hit. In fact I think he is as good or better from the pocket as darnold or rosen.

I've not heard the no handshakes one.

Legend
Legend
Mayfield is very good from the pocket. He'll stand in there and take a hit. In fact I think he is as good or better from the pocket as darnold or rosen.

I've not heard the no handshakes one.

the handshake one was actually Kansas not shaking hands at the coin toss. It got chippy from there and ultimately led to Baker grabbing his junk.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Looks to me like he was just warming up and Georgia players were yelling at him. Also reading that Mayfield typically runs routes in warm-ups. No maturity issue there.

Tulsa #1383816 01/02/18 09:13 AM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yes but that I believe that was Kansas not Mayfield.

Legend
Legend

That's what I said, it was Kansas. There is no story on Mayfield where he instigated not shaking hands.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I don't want to argue about this, but here are my observations about Mayfield:

Good:

--Nice arm

--Moxie

--Decent accuracy

--Buys time in the pocket

Concerns:

--Immaturity on and off the field

--Short

--Doesn't take standard drops [3, 5, and 7 steps]

--Feet are very loose. He reminds me of Manziel in this manner. Feet are way too happy and it's not even close to how you teach it.

--Plays in an offense that has him throwing to wide-open windows.

Conclusion:

I think he is a guy who should be drafted in rounds 2 - 4. I do not think he will be drafted in the top half of the first round. There is a chance that a team might take a chance on him in the second half of the first, but that would be a reach.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looks to me like he was just warming up and Georgia players were yelling at him. Also reading that Mayfield typically runs routes in warm-ups. No maturity issue there.

Each team is permitted the use of one part of the field for warm ups. At times he likes to use both. That is a maturity issue.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A college kid a little immature...willickers...

Legend
Legend
I watched the game yesterday, he had a good first half but the second half? Not-so-much. But still? I liked him.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Each team is permitted the use of one part of the field for warm ups. At times he likes to use both. That is a maturity issue.

Apparently he also made a throat slitting gesture towards the Georgia players, which is why one of them was later captered on camera telling Baker to "humble yourself."

If he's still doing silly things, even if he knows the camera is on him, it concerns me.

It's still not the big deal it is made out to be. Within the context of competitive spirit, I'm fine with it. With that said, it's just another silly thing that won't fly in the NFL. At this point, he should be aware he needs to chill out.

BDU #1383926 01/02/18 01:29 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's why it concerns me. He lacks impulse control. I am not trying to deny his talent, he's a talented kid. But do you really want to invest a top 5 pick in a kid who does things without thinking first. Did we learn nothing from the 2014 draft where we wasted 2 first round picks on players who lacked maturity.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
+1, he's immature just like Johnny"Drunk" Manziel, sad Heisman doesn't consider character anymore, we've dropped lots since Tebow. Any guy grabbing his crotch, making slashing signals, etc. flapping his arms....ya he's young but SILLY. Pass please, Randolph from OKL STATE gets my vote over him easily....Lamar Jackson would be a project, but what a possible upside....GO Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
1) Height - not the biggest concern. Other 6'1" QBs around, it's harder but not impossible.

I'll be shocked if he tops out at 6'.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Tulsa #1384027 01/02/18 03:22 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

That's what I said, it was Kansas. There is no story on Mayfield where he instigated not shaking hands.
What prompted them to ignore a well established 'curtesy' and collectively snub him? Do you really think he did nothing to cause them to make that decision?

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
CalDawg #1384047 01/02/18 03:51 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
he's 6'1/2"

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

What prompted them to ignore a well established 'curtesy' and collectively snub him? Do you really think he did nothing to cause them to make that decision?

Being Baker Mayfield.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Being Baker Mayfield.

Yep. It was funny last night watching Georgia players tell at Baker, telling him to "humble yourself" after the game.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/948027415808368642

Last edited by CHSDawg; 01/02/18 04:27 PM. Reason: Added in link
CHSDawg #1384057 01/02/18 04:06 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I saw a kid with a lot of talent that has a lot of question marks about that talent transferring to the NFL. I saw a kid that had a great first drive and then in the second half seemed to crumble under the pressure. I saw a kid who threw into double coverage when pressed and make a terrible overthrow that led to an interception.

Now don't get me wrong, the kid looked pretty good overall. But as far as being an NFL QB, I saw more questions than answers. But hey, he won one more game than Colt McCoy and seemed to scramble better than he did when the cops were chasing him. But he was drunk then, so there's that. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Online
Legend
You judge the player not the school.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Being Baker Mayfield.
And that's the problem.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
BDU #1384108 01/02/18 05:26 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Apparently he also made a throat slitting gesture towards the Georgia players, which is why one of them was later captered on camera telling Baker to "humble yourself."

Would you prefer that he offered to make tea and crumpets for the other team between quarters. notallthere

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #1384115 01/02/18 05:35 PM
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

Would you prefer that he offered to make tea and crumpets for the other team between quarters. notallthere

I'd prefer he just beat them on the scoreboard, and let his play speak louder than his actions. You cut out the part of my post that said I understand the competitive spirit, but at some stage one would think he'd want his play to speak for him.

On top of that, cocky nonsense doesn't help when you choke in the second half, and it costs your team the game - a game they were only in because his defense scored on a fumble recovery.

BDU #1384133 01/02/18 05:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Otto Graham was a bit Cocky
Brian Sipe was a bit cocky
Bernie Kosar was a bit cocky.

Give me cocky before you give me a QB who is a kitty cat.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #1384141 01/02/18 05:51 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Or Katty !

BDU #1384147 01/02/18 05:57 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: BDU
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

I'd prefer he just beat them on the scoreboard, and let his play speak louder than his actions. You cut out the part of my post that said I understand the competitive spirit, but at some stage one would think he'd want his play to speak for him.

On top of that, cocky nonsense doesn't help when you choke in the second half, and it costs your team the game - a game they were only in because his defense scored on a fumble recovery.

we must have watched two different games..i watched GA defense make adustments second half and OU OC did not. Noone was getting open, they went away from the run. Yet when they fell behind, he came right back and tied it up with a TD drive...yeah sounds like a choke to me. Playcalling in OT is what did them in, plain and simple..nothing baker did. He completed the passes...they were stupid calls . Baker Mayfield was not the reason they lost. But continue with your agenda how he's a meanie

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

we must have watched two different games..i watched GA defense make adustments second half and OU OC did not. Noone was getting open

lol it's almost like Georgia was told to not leave their man in coverage and let the defensive line worry about the run. Have you ever watched an Oklahoma game before? This is as bad as your Cavs take, where you swear LeBron can't play basketball and Korver can't shoot.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400953412

There's the play by play. You can literally see that they did not give up on the pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlbLy0T3qaY

Here's the game in 40 minutes minutes.

Baker has had a few questions about his game. Can he actually escape the pocket? Can he make tough throws in NFL windows? Georgia made Baker try to answer these questions.

CHSDawg #1384167 01/02/18 06:12 PM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

we must have watched two different games..i watched GA defense make adustments second half and OU OC did not. Noone was getting open

lol it's almost like Georgia was told to not leave their man in coverage and let the defensive line worry about the run. Have you ever watched an Oklahoma game before? This is as bad as your Cavs take, where you swear LeBron can't play basketball and Korver can't shoot.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400953412

There's the play by play. You can literally see that they did not give up on the pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlbLy0T3qaY

Here's the game in 40 minutes minutes.

Baker has had a few questions about his game. Can he actually escape the pocket? Can he make tough throws in NFL windows? Georgia made Baker try to answer these questions.

well you're wrong on both accounts, and clueless as ever. I never said they abandoned the pass....oh I forgot...baker isn't athletic enough to move in the pocket....lmao. that might be single dumbest thing I've ever seen someone say..

http://thebiglead.com/2018/01/02/lincoln-riley-baker-mayfield/

just about everyone realizes it was Riley that cost them the game, along with the defense

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard