Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I am going to be traveling to Memphis for work next month. I have been twice before, but never really got too much time to sight see or hit up too much local BBQ and flare. I really want to get some sights, sounds, and grub! I know a couple of posters are from there (or still live there).

1. What are the best BBQ places? - I have eaten and The One and Only, Corkys, and Rendezvous. One and Only was my favorite - Loved the twice baked potato salad.

2. Outside of BBQ - Best places to grab a bite? I absolutely loved Soul Fish and Grill (I believe that's the name).

3. What are some sights and spots to visit (mostly would be in the evening as I will be working during the day).

Thank you for any advice!

Legend
Legend
You want Pizza? Aldo's is very good

You want seafood? try Mardi Gras

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Grace land, I designed the Elvis cologne bottle!

Joe Thomas #73
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We were there 4-5 yrs. ago. We took a tour bus to (I can't remember the st) where all the blues bars are. Some were closed and a few were open. Anyway, there is a Hardrock cafe on the corner. We had lunch there, very good stuff. I bought a leather jacket while we ate. Be careful of the street urchins. One guy was following us around and came back after we ate and asked for any pocket change, when I told him I left it all for lunch and tip he got in my face and said....I SAID DO YOU HAVE ANY CHANGE?
When I said no again, he looked around and saw some people coming towards us and took off running down the street. We stayed at the Heartbreak hotel and ate mostly general take out. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Dawginit since Jan. 24, 2000 Member #180
You can't fix yesterday but you can learn for tomorrow
#GMSTRONG

I want to do it as a Cleveland Brown because that's who I am.”
B
Legend
Legend
B
Elvis was the King....a trip to Graceland isn't all that corny.

Sun Records. Tennessee is a great music state. People think of country music and the country music HOF in Nashville...and they should.....but Memphis is a hotspot for music.

Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, BB King, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Conway Twitty....all started at Sun Records in Memphis.

Rock may be in Cleveland, but the early rockers recorded at Sun Records in Memphis. Elvis and Johnny Cash were touring friends. Elvis went more towards rock, Johnny more towards country, but both crossed over, and it was more a rockabilly sound they created. It's why both of those guys are in about every music HOF out there....rock, country, gospel....you name it

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Get rhythm when you get the blues. My favorite Cash song

Joe Thomas #73
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
You want Pizza? Aldo's is very good

You want seafood? try Mardi Gras
I am for anything. I prefer a sweet sauce on my pizza. I am always up for seafood!

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: bleednbrown
We were there 4-5 yrs. ago. We took a tour bus to (I can't remember the st) where all the blues bars are. Some were closed and a few were open. Anyway, there is a Hardrock cafe on the corner. We had lunch there, very good stuff. I bought a leather jacket while we ate. Be careful of the street urchins. One guy was following us around and came back after we ate and asked for any pocket change, when I told him I left it all for lunch and tip he got in my face and said....I SAID DO YOU HAVE ANY CHANGE?
When I said no again, he looked around and saw some people coming towards us and took off running down the street. We stayed at the Heartbreak hotel and ate mostly general take out. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Wow, some people are crazy man, good thing no harm came to you.

Thank you.

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Elvis was the King....a trip to Graceland isn't all that corny.

Sun Records. Tennessee is a great music state. People think of country music and the country music HOF in Nashville...and they should.....but Memphis is a hotspot for music.

Elvis, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, BB King, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Conway Twitty....all started at Sun Records in Memphis.

Rock may be in Cleveland, but the early rockers recorded at Sun Records in Memphis. Elvis and Johnny Cash were touring friends. Elvis went more towards rock, Johnny more towards country, but both crossed over, and it was more a rockabilly sound they created. It's why both of those guys are in about every music HOF out there....rock, country, gospel....you name it

I do love all things Memphis music. Very underrated music scene. You would think with the names you mentioned, they would get more notoriety.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken.

Place looks like a dump, but it's the best spicy chicken you'll ever eat.

And yeah, as someone said a couple posts ago, don't stay out on Beale street past midnight. It gets rough down there with the panhandlers.

B
Legend
Legend
B

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
1. What are the best BBQ places? - I have eaten and The One and Only, Corkys, and Rendezvous. One and Only was my favorite - Loved the twice baked potato salad.

For Ribs:
Dry Rub-- It's Rendevous, IMO (and the best ribs in the country)
Wet Rub-- Try Blue City Cafe (Corner of Beale Street and 2nd St)
If you're going to be in Germantown (suburb), try the Commissary.

- If you want a dive bar with the greasiest burgers in the world & cooked at the bar, check out Earnestine and Hazels (near the Civil Rights Museaum) recently named best dive bar in Tennessee. Dyers Burgers on Beale Street is also good.

- Flying Fish and Half Shell are good seafood places.

- You cannot leave Memphis w/o going to Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken

- The Arcade has a good brunch/ "meat and three"

- Check out the "Duck Walk" at the historic Peabody Hotel. Sun Studios, Civil Rights Museaum, Beale Street, and Graceland are also toursity things to do.

I'll try and think of some other places, but that's a good start.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Only been to Memphis once. 1995 Grateful Dead shows at the Pyramid. That place was built for sound and man did the Dead fill it up. The first night they covered the Talking Heads’ ‘Take Me to the River’. The second night they covered Dylan’s ‘Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again’.
Didn’t really spend any time in Memphis. We camped across the river in Arkansas. Right on the river. Met a girl at the campground... Jill...
Good times. Great memories.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I drove past memphis many times between PA and Austin when we did our yearly winter road trip to see family. Fun town with some reasonably good BBQ (although Austin spoiled me rotten there...)

The ribs were great last time I had some there.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Turning back the hands of time : Use to stay at the Downtown Radisson ;Now its been converted to a Double tree ( Hilton Brand ) .. Was cool , as it was across the street from the Peabody ( duck watching ) .. The shame is night time on Beale Street.. Use to be an all nighter ; not save any more .. The Rendezvous for Ribs was a must ..

Legend
Legend
Gus's chicken.

and true Memphis folks will laugh at you if you mention Corky's as good BBQ, lol.

Go to 1 of 3 places.

-BBQ Shop (Tends to be everyones favorite)
-Central BBQ (my favotire bc they have pulled BBQ chicken - most places only have pork)
-Cozy Corner - Sketchy location/look, but the food is beyond good!

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

For Ribs:

- If you want a dive bar with the greasiest burgers in the world & cooked at the bar, check out Earnestine and Hazels (near the Civil Rights Museaum) recently named best dive bar in Tennessee. Dyers Burgers on Beale Street is also good.

- Check out the "Duck Walk" at the historic Peabody Hotel. Sun Studios, Civil Rights Museaum, Beale Street, and Graceland are also toursity things to do.

Thank you!

I heard of Commissary, I have not been yet. I will definitely have to check out Gus's

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Gus's chicken.

and true Memphis folks will laugh at you if you mention Corky's as good BBQ, lol.

Go to 1 of 3 places.

-BBQ Shop (Tends to be everyones favorite)
-Central BBQ (my favotire bc they have pulled BBQ chicken - most places only have pork)
-Cozy Corner - Sketchy location/look, but the food is beyond good!
I said I went to Corkys! Im not a chain person to be honest. Compared to what I have had down there (limited) its not as good that's for sure. It was ok.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:

For Ribs:

I need to write this down. Memphis is on our list of places we'd like to visit, and these all sound amazing

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Traveling to Memphis for work

Link Copied to Clipboard