Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1386847 01/06/18 01:27 PM
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Let the discussion concerning the Browns management/front office continue here...if it is ok with the refs...thanks mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Why start a thread just for the sake of starting a thread?

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well if these guys (Dorsey/Highsmith) are as good as advertised then they should turn this team around within a couple years beginning with a good 2018, I mean with all the draft capital and Cap space available to them they have NO EXCUSES ... JMHO tsktsk

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You could drop a pile of the finest brick and mortar in my backyard and I still couldn't build an adequate house out of it...

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
You could drop a pile of the finest brick and mortar in my backyard and I still couldn't build an adequate house out of it...

Well I'm a retired bricklayer but I have no desire to help you out. Heck I had to have my chimney patched and hired it out.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
They could start by bucking the current trend of losing our top free agents each year. Show the rest of the league we are serious about keeping our home grown talent going forward.

Re-sign Crowell to a decent contract 2 to 3 years and draft someone in like the 3rd round like a Nick Chubb to back him up. Let's face it Duke is more of a change of pace back and not the Crow's back up.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: nordawg
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

Well I'm a retired bricklayer but I have no desire to help you out. Heck I had to have my chimney patched and hired it out.

I know it's not an easy occupation. Just be on call for guidance! wink

T
Legend
Legend
T
If Bellichic has ever been available, He is available now.
If reports, then he has been offended and would be most motivated to prove his current team wrong.

Best chance to get the best mind in football, the most successful x and o guy in the last 15 years, with the next best probably a distant 2nd.

If the Front office could somehow get Bellichic here, then the Browns would win as much as they've lost since the return.

His teams have been as good, as the Browns teams have been bad, and I've always said Tom Brady was a product of his system, and benefited from Bellichic's mind way more than Bill Benefited in any way from Tom Brady.

Long shot sure.

But it could put you on the fast track to Super Bowl wins. Ain't that the goal.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
quote above by THROW LONG:

Quote:
...I've always said Tom Brady was a product of his system, and benefited from Bellichic's mind way more than Bill Benefited in any way from Tom Brady.

Hey THROW!

Very good insight.

I agree totally. Tom Brady came along right as Belichick was hitting his prime as a head coach. And Belichick molded him into a Hall-Of-Fame QB.

Well obviously. Brady was a nobody QB coming into the NFL.

I'm not sure Belichick still has enough gas to do it again. (maybe - I don't know)

Great post.

I guess this means dogs and cats will live together in harmony. Manchester United fans will start hugging Liverpool fans. Love will conquer all. And we're at the dawning of the age of Aquarius.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Do we even know the hierarchy?

Dorsey
Podesta?
Hightower?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: BpG

Dorsey
Podesta?
Hightower?

Definitely Hightower.

Legend
Legend
Are we offering him $150 million?

I don't see him coming here.. unless we offer a crapload on money there is no way...

<><

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
We’d have to cut Collins before he’d even consider it .... rofl ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A few things I'll be looking for in the coming off-season. Don't overpay for a veteran quarterback ie; give up too many draft picks. Two, don't blow the draft. Take the best QB at 1, and take Minkah or Barkley at 4 if they are there. Finally, fill the holes at CB, WR, & RB. If they can do that, we'll be well on our way.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Seems like a simple straight forward plan .. Never work for the Browns ! lol

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
J/c

I find it interesting that DePo is still around. I'm wondering if his role has beem diminished to the ofher aspects of analytics like the player performance, nutrition, facility services side of things and less on player eval/acquisition?

Or, I woukd have to think Dorsey in spite of any acquisitions he may have made differently, would be impressed with the way we've been able to amass the Draft capital he'll be spending. It'll be interesting to see if he blows the bank roll he's been handed in one year, or if he continues the approach of making investments that provide future returns.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
I find it interesting that DePo is still around. I'm wondering if his role has beem diminished to the ofher aspects of analytics like the player performance, nutrition, facility services side of things and less on player eval/acquisition?

DePodesta did not come cheap. He's probably still around for the same reasons Hue Jackson is still around -- Haslam is tired of paying people to not work for him.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BpG

Dorsey
Podesta?
Hightower?

Dorsey reports to Haslam. DePodesta reports to Haslam. Jackson reports to Haslam.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Are the Browns following the Jacksonville and Houston model, of player aquis. with a worse Qb, and Worse Rb?

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
A few things I'll be looking for in the coming off-season. Don't overpay for a veteran quarterback ie; give up too many draft picks. Two, don't blow the draft. Take the best QB at 1, and take Minkah or Barkley at 4 if they are there. Finally, fill the holes at CB, WR, & RB. If they can do that, we'll be well on our way.

You wouldn't have to pay any draft picks cost for Jay Cutler. I like the idea of a Cutler to the Browns when I think about it, here's why.

He's a BAD Vet, but he's got like a hundred starts.

And, he's a tough guy, relatively, and has moxy.
And, what's the worst that would happen, he throws a bunch of ints. (Everybody we Got, Throws a bunch of int's anyways)

In 2017, excuse me, 18!!, They gotta fix the Runningbacks, (And I'm not sayin get rid of anybody, I'm saying you have to bring in a challenger).

Because, you just can't have a 1-31 team and not take a hard look at the runningbacks.

** This all hinges on the fact that Hue's back, I think Hue will ruin any rookie Qb, and so I've got to change my whole way of thinking, and whole philosopy on things **

Just to hope the Browns will win 1 ! lovin lovin Game!

Edit: Jay Cutler may be exactly what a Hue Coached Browns team needs to win games in the AFC North.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 01/07/18 04:11 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:

DDawg...the fact that we have not seen Depodesta around is nothing new..not sure if everyone realizes it but Depo lives in California and flies to Cleveland when necessary.

The Browns are not the only business Depodesta advises either.. he advises Scripps Translational Science Institute in California and possibly more.

As for Depodesta's contract with the Browns, I've never seen details of his contract written about by anyone.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
If reports, then he has been offended and would be most motivated to prove his current team wrong.

Best chance to get the best mind in football, the most successful x and o guy in the last 15 years, with the next best probably a distant 2nd.

If the Front office could somehow get Bellichic here, then the Browns would win as much as they've lost since the return.

His teams have been as good, as the Browns teams have been bad, and I've always said Tom Brady was a product of his system, and benefited from Bellichic's mind way more than Bill Benefited in any way from Tom Brady.

Long shot sure.

Didn't Bellichic coach the Browns before? So it would be sort of a homecoming.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Eliot Wolf has some options, even though he wasn't Murphy's pick for #Packers GM. He can stay in GB and bide his time for another GM opportunity elsewhere. He could go to Cleveland and join Dorsey and Highsmith. While he didn't get this job, he is very smart and highly regarded.

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/status/950082400423415808

Seems like pure speculation, but it'd be nice.

1st String
1st String
Yeah it is that of speculation. And rumors but will not be true unless confirmed by the team.

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
V
Legend
Legend
V

Wrong post. My bad.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 01/07/18 09:47 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

DePodesta did not come cheap. He's probably still around for the same reasons Hue Jackson is still around -- Haslam is tired of paying people to not work for him.

I think DePodesta does a lot more with analytics than just scrutinize players. He is probably developing business systems for the browns on every front. He may have a much bigger role here than any of us know. I'm just thinking out loud here and offering food for thought.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/08/18 01:47 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Front office changes will most likely come post draft.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

ELIOT WOLF PROBABLY OUT THE DOOR

01/07/2018
link

When the Green Bay Packers hired Brian Gutekunst as general manager, that raised one fairly substantial question. What happens with Eliot Wolf.

Wolf is the Packers’ director of football operations. He was considered a strong candidate for the position his father Ron once held. The position that went to Gutekunst. Wolf was interviewed for the job, but passed over.

It is rumored that Gutekunst and team president Mark Murphy are working hard to convince Wolf to stay in Green Bay. However, that doesn’t appear likely based on everything we are hearing.

Ron Wolf didn’t appear too pleased that his son didn’t get the job.

“At least he had the opportunity to interview for it,” Ron Wolf told ESPN. “Obviously the people up there don’t think he’s worthy or they would’ve hired him. End of discussion.”
That doesn’t sound like a happy guy. Eliot Wolf is probably less happy.

The pervading idea is that Wolf, like Alonzo Highsmith before him, will join John Dorsey with the Cleveland Browns. It’s not quite that simple though.

The Packers would have to agree to let Wolf out of his contract, unless he’s being given a promotion. That would mean a general manager job. Highsmith was reportedly going to get the assistant general manager title in Cleveland. So if Wolf went to the Browns, he’d be taking a demotion.

If Wolf wants to leave, we doubt the Packers would stand in his way at this point. However, it is their right to do so barring an opportunity for a promotion.

Wolf does potentially have a couple other options. Both the Seattle Seahawks (John Schneider) and Oakland Raiders (Reggie McKenzie) have former Packers’ personnel executives as general managers.

It is assumed that Wolf will get a general manager job at some point. Does it really matter where he bides his time?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I doubt (from the article) that Wolf is coming here. In order to be a 'promotion', where do you put him? The FO is getting crowded...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 01/08/18 07:34 AM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Didn't see that this was being discussed. Started a new Wolf thread. Ignore me, people!

Legend
Legend
Why would he come to Cleveland to be something other than the GM?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Maybe Dorsey gets elevated to President and Wolf hired as GM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Maybe Dorsey gets elevated to President and Wolf hired as GM.

Possible, but I don't see Dorsey at a presidential level. Maybe a VP of whatever. There isn't enough 'room' for Wolf as presently constructed...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Long shot sure.

Sorry bud, not to be combative, but no way he would even consider that. If that was the case -
1. he would have traded JG to us for a steal.
2. He would want full control, and we just hired Dorsey
3. Im not buying into this rift thing anyway.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I fully expect BB to be the 9ers DC next year ... wink ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Even money on him being back with the Pats but if that isn't the case I would sayHC of the Giants

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Why would he come to Cleveland to be something other than the GM?

Because he just got passed over for the GM in Green Bay. If the Browns do well with him on staff he will definitely get a job somewhere else soon.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mac
Let the discussion concerning the Browns management/front office continue here...if it is ok with the refs...thanks mac

How Cleveland Browns were frozen out of Jimmy Garoppolo deal -- Terry Pluto

https://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2018/01/how_cleveland_browns_were_froz.html#article

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Jimmy Garoppolo trade to the San Francisco 49ers never made much sense.

The 49ers traded a second-round pick, a rather modest price for the New England Patriots highly-regarded backup quarterback.

The Patriots also were able to add veteran Brian Hoyer as a backup. Hoyer was with the 49ers. Part of the deal was the 49ers would release Hoyer, allowing him to sign with the Patriots.

That's exactly what happened.

But the strange part was the Browns were willing to offer more for Garoppolo.

Much, much more.

At first, I thought, "I guess Hoyer was the key."

But I also thought, "There is something strange about this deal."

I made calls to several league sources.

On November 4, I wrote about how the Browns had last talked to the Patriots on October 28.

They couldn't even start a conversation. They were told Garoppolo wasn't available.

They said more than once, "If you are open to trading him, please call."

Two days later, he was traded to the 49ers.

An in-depth ESPN story by Seth Wickersham highlighted all the internal battles with the Patriots.

It was clear coach Bill Belichick wanted to keep Garoppolo. That's why he resisted any serious trade talks about the backup quarterback for more than year.

Even more to that point, the Patriots traded another backup quarterback -- Jacoby Brissett. He was shipped to the Indianapolis Colts on September 2 for Philip Dorsett, a wide receiver.

Why would Belichick trade both of his young quarterbacks within two months, leaving only 40-year-old Tom Brady and Hoyer as quarterbacks for next season?

WHO MADE THE CALL?

ESPN basically said Belichick was forced into trading Garoppolo by ownership.

The Patriots have denied it.

But it's just odd.

Apparently, the only team Belichick discussed the trade with was San Francisco.

Cleveland and other teams had been calling about Garoppolo. This would have been a perfect time for Belichick to leverage the deal, piling up offers -- maybe even putting together a three-way trade.

Never happened.

ESPN reported Belichick had a meeting with Patriots owner Robert Kraft:

"It ended with a clear mandate to Belichick ... trade Garoppolo because he would not be in the team's long-term plans ... Belichick was furious and demoralized ... he did his job. One morning in late October, Belichick texted 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan to call him..."

Supposedly, there was a rift between Brady and Garoppolo. Belichick believed Garoppolo was the future. Kraft wanted to keep Brady happy.

Kraft owns the team.

Belichick only talked to one team, according to ESPN.

That matched what I was told and wrote on November 3.

For what it's worth, in an interview with Monday Morning Quarterback's Peter King, Kraft denied ordering Belichick to trade Garoppolo.

Kraft called the report "a total fabrication and fiction."

BACK IN CLEVELAND

I received some criticism from readers when I wrote how the Browns never had a shot at Garoppolo in that November 3 story.

They said I was making excuses for former Browns vice president Sashi Brown.

There were other reports of the front office people going home early near the deadline. The Garoppolo deal was supposed to show they were not doing their jobs.

But the information I received back then was right, even though it made little sense to me.

Truth is: The Browns (and everyone else but San Francisco) never had a chance to discuss a Garoppolo deal.

I know that Brown was willing to part with Houston's first-round pick and other goodies. He would have been willing to help Belichick shop around for a backup quarterback to help the trade work.

The front office was especially baffled because they had made two trades with New England.

On August 25, 2016, they shipped Barkevious Mingo to the Patriots for a 2017 fifth-round pick.

On October 31, 2016, the Patriots traded Jamie Collins to the Browns for a 2017 third-round pick.

The Patriots have their own version of analytics and have used it for decades.

The Browns and Patriots were able to find common ground for other trades.

That's why the Browns were so confused when they were consistently frozen out of trade talks for Garoppolo.

And then even more baffled when they checked with other teams trying to deal for Garoppolo and heard the same story.

Only San Francisco was given a chance to trade for a franchise-changing quarterback.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This post should be 'required reading'. Can we put this (Brown's incompetence) subject to bed now...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Only if you believe it. LOL

I don't believe it, just like some guys don't believe the reports about Hue wanting Wentz.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The New Front Office

Link Copied to Clipboard