Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
2nd String
OP Offline
2nd String
L
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_gm_john_dorsey_wants_to.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- New Browns general manager John Dorsey could be bringing even more of that Packers magic to Cleveland.

Last week, he hired former Green Bay senior personnel executive Alonzo Highsmith as a vice president in the personnel department. Now, he hopes to add Packers director of football operations Eliot Wolf in some capacity.
He'll interview Wolf on Tuesday, a league source told cleveland.com.

Wolf, the son of Hall of Fame executive Ron Wolf who recommended Dorsey to the Jimmy Haslam, was passed over Monday for the Packers GM job when they announced another internal candidate, Brian Gutekunst, as their man.
The Packers offered Wolf "a prominent role'' in the organization, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, but the GM snub did not sit well with Ron Wolf, who ran the Packers from 1991-2001.

"At least he had the opportunity to interview for it," the elder Wolf told ESPN Sunday night. "Obviously the people up there don't think he's worthy or they would've hired him. End of discussion."

Gutekunst can block Wolf, who's still under contract with the Packers, from interviewing for any other NFL job except for GM, but it doesn't sound as if he'll do so.

"I surely want him to be part of this," Gutekunst said Monday during his press conference. "I think the world of Eliot Wolf, not only as a scout, but he's very close to me as a friend. He obviously has other opportunities if he wants them. That's kind of between me and Eliot, but I'm very hopeful that he'll be here."

After the press conference, Gutekunst told ESPN, "I also know he has other opportunities, and I wouldn't hold him back from that because I care about him. But if he was here, I'd like to get him more involved in the college side of stuff and have a broader approach to what he's been doing."

If Dorsey hires Wolf, 35, there will undoubtedly be more changes to the Browns' analytics-heavy front office now they're transitioning to a more traditional model.
Andrew Berry, Vice President of Player Personnel, is highly regarded in the Browns organization, but might also have an opportunity to be the No. 2 man with another team, such as the Giants.

The Browns also have Ken Kovash in the role of Vice President of Player Personnel, and he works closely with Paul DePodesta. Those two, and others, are holdovers from Sashi Brown's analytics-based regime.

Related: Will Sam Darnold or Josh Allen be better in the NFL?

The Browns have yet to announce the hiring of Highsmith, and his title has not yet been finalized, although he told ESPN that he'd be Vice President of Football Operations. Highsmith, an area scout for 13 years, has vast experience on the college side.

So there are a lot of moving parts on the Browns' personnel side of the building, which is why they haven't announced Highsmith's hiring yet.

Wolf's experience is mostly on the pro-scouting side, like Berry's was when he was hired in 2016.
It's believed to be one of the reasons Wolf was passed over for the Packers' GM job. Gutekunst spent 13 years as an area scout before being promoted to Packers director of college scouting for four years and then director of player personnel in 2016.

Eliot Wolf grew up around the Packers and began writing reports on players at the age of 14. He joined the team in 2004 as a pro personnel assistant to then-coach and GM Mike Sherman.

He worked with Dorsey for nine seasons in Green Bay before Dorsey took over as Chiefs GM in 2013. Wolf was promoted five times under Ted Thompson, who just transitioned to the role of senior adviser.

Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy was willing to risk Wolf getting away.

"He's going to be a general manager someday," he told reporters in Green Bay. "He's extremely talented, and I have high respect for him. I really believe he's got a great career ahead of him."

The Browns have a lot of moving parts on the coaching side too.

Hue Jackson is expected to interview Texans quarterbacks coach Sean Ryan this week for his offensive coordinator position, but he'll be one of several interviewed for that job.

He'll also interview former Bengals offensive coordinator Ken Zampese, but for an offensive assistant position depending how the coordinator search goes.

If Jackson lands an experienced play-calling coordinator, that coach might want to bring in some of his own assistants, which could cause a ripple effect on that side of the ball.
In other NFL coaching news, former Browns coach Mike Pettine will interview for the Packers defensive coordinator job, per ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Last edited by Lairdawg; 01/09/18 09:04 AM.
Legend
Legend
this would be a nice addition

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
If he is brought on board, I can't imagine it being for long. From what I've gathered, the guy is a GM in waiting. If it's not a GM position here, he'll probably sign on with a team in a year or so.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Any chance of upgrading the ST coach? How about we hire one coach for tackling assurance performance? That would be an upgrade IMO. Some Packer dudes would be welcome, as would some further modification of analytics metrics.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We’ll continue to follow the story, but if Wolf is added to the mix, think about the sheer amount of experience added to the front office in such a short period of time. And, is there any chance the Browns would change John Dorsey’s title to something like “President,” so that they could lure Wolf as “General Manager?” It would be similar to what the Browns did when they had Michael Lombardi, quickly changing his title to GM so they could give the newly-hired Farmer the label of Assistant GM

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ya don't think we are getting a little Crowded in the FO ?

P
Legend
Legend
P
The herd will be thinned.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
The herd will be thinned.

Most likely.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
First we need football guys, now we have too many...

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Ya don't think we are getting a little Crowded in the FO ?

I'd want as many voices as possible. But others are right, many of the guys hired by Sashi Brown will be gone after the draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How about before the Draft just to be safe , lol.

Legend
Legend
Eliot Wolf, who is in Cleveland interviewing with GM John Dorsey today, also has an offer to join Reggie McKenzie/Jon Gruden in Oakland, per a source. That's on top of the Packers' offer for him to be new GM Brian Gutekunst's right-hand man in Green Bay. http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0742482910031910569-4

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
If he is brought on board, I can't imagine it being for long. From what I've gathered, the guy is a GM in waiting. If it's not a GM position here, he'll probably sign on with a team in a year or so.

As is true with Highsmith. Either Dorsey is brilliant at his job, or the NFL was hitting people up like, "Can you please go fix them?"

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's being reported that Eliot Wolf has signed with the Browns.

I think this team and FO is really taking a quantum leap forward.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: mgh888
It's being reported that Eliot Wolf has signed with the Browns.

I think this team and FO is really taking a quantum leap forward.

Link us.
YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

M
Legend
Legend
M

L
Legend
Legend
L
this is excellent on all fronts..strongest FO we've had since return imo. The track record that precedes these guys is stellar

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
this is excellent on all fronts..strongest FO we've had since return imo. The track record that precedes these guys is stellar

I dig it. I actually am behind these hires and I agree and see the fact... likely the strongest and qualified set we've had in awhile in a time we need it most with all the assets we have to select players and improve the team.

Never thought though Wolf would come. Especially when BETTER and more established places were knocking on his door.

Legend
Legend

confirmed on espn.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22024866/the-cleveland-browns-hiring-eliot-wolf-assistant-gm

Just super news. This young man has been writing scouting reports since he was fourteen.

Kudos to Haslam and Dorsey.

Finally we have professionals at many levels. Dorsey, Highsmith, Wolf.

Man I feel good. These guys are going to bring talent.

I can sit back and actually believe we will make good personnel decisions.

I am giddy about this off season.

C
Legend
Legend
C
No matter how many good guys we bring in, the draft is still a crapshoot. The best part of this news is that these guys, the front office, are capable of working together. Hopefully that means everything won't get blown to bits in two seasons.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R

Looking at the packers roster and the team performance without Rodgers...

Stellar wouldn't be the word I would use.... far from it.

Remembers me the Holmgren era....

Legend
Legend

He had an offer to join the Raiders with Gruden.

All this BS about nobody wanted to come to Cleveland can finally end.

I got news for the rest of the league. The Browns will no longer be be a doormat and a soft spot on their schedule.

This is the first time in many moons that I have felt good about the Cleveland Browns.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

Looking at the packers roster and the team performance without Rodgers...

Stellar wouldn't be the word I would use.... far from it.

Remembers me the Holmgren era....

That’s crazy. The team Dorsey built is a coach away from being dominant. Dorsey when he was at GB and KC was very good. Wolf wasnt the gm there, but his reputation is being one of the best scouts in nfl. This is NOTHING like holmgren. We hired him to be president after he had personnel duties taken away as coach. Everyone saw this coming. Dorsey and wolf still have things to prove. This was a great move

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
You just have to consider the source lead. Some people don't know how to do anything but whine and complain.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: bonefish

confirmed on espn.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22024866/the-cleveland-browns-hiring-eliot-wolf-assistant-gm

Just super news. This young man has been writing scouting reports since he was fourteen.

Kudos to Haslam and Dorsey.

Finally we have professionals at many levels. Dorsey, Highsmith, Wolf.

Man I feel good. These guys are going to bring talent.

I can sit back and actually believe we will make good personnel decisions.

I am giddy about this off season.

thumbsup

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Browns have added the following as well...

Former KC guys Jimmy Noel (Assistant Director Pro Scouting), Dan Zegers (Personnel Coordinator) and Matt Donahoe (scout).

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Not sure Berea is big enough for all these new folk...

Some great additions. They will surely make hay with the bazillion draft picks and cap space they have.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Hope abounds true hope with some real football guys in the FO for once ... thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Ye gods, but I love this kind of talk! Quality pickers and real judges of talent. I do not now them all, but I have fresh hope.

We may not have changed the culture yet, but we did change our pedigree it seems.

Welcome aboard, and win us some games soon! Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I agree. That seems, well, prudent.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ryan Grigson - G - Free Agent

Browns fired senior personnel executive Ryan Grigson,

Grigson was fired as the Colts' GM less than a year ago and latched on with the Browns in May. He lasts just one season with the team with the Browns overhauling their front office and bringing in a bunch of talent ex-Packers executives. Grigson, 46 next month, has seen his career spiral the drain.

Related: Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
No matter how many good guys we bring in, the draft is still a crapshoot.

This is certainly starting to sound like the 7 won't come up more often than the 6 or 8 for us.

#GMSTRONG
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
No matter how many good guys we bring in, the draft is still a crapshoot.

This is certainly starting to sound like the 7 won't come up more often than the 6 or 8 for us.

Hmmmm. Good pop. Lol

M
Legend
Legend
M
All you can do is try to maximize returns and minimize selecting busts .... every team and every organization has the same goal more or less - some may be more or less risk averse depending on the state of their current roster .... I really like the pedigree of staff we are bringing here. Very encouraging. . . I believe there is going to be a lot of pressure on Hue and expectations laid out for player progress and W's.

Legend
Legend
It's good to know that at my age I can still sprout wood cool

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
It's good to know that at my age I can still sprout wood cool

You really need to make this your avatar.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think it is cool that Wolf chose us over the Raiders and/or remaining w/GB.

We have a first class FO who are well respected in the NFL. The same can be said for Hue and some of our coaches.

I think this will help us attract free agents. We have a lot to overcome due to our historically poor image, but we're on the right track.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think it is cool that Wolf chose us over the Raiders and/or remaining w/GB.

We have a first class FO who are well respected in the NFL. The same can be said for Hue and some of our coaches.

I think this will help us attract free agents. We have a lot to overcome due to our historically poor image, but we're on the right track.

We just disagree on Hubert.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
We just disagree on Hubert.

I think Hue is short for Huebris.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't talking about some guys on this message board. I said he is respected by NFL people.

I already know your crowd doesn't like him. I mean..........I only read it 187 times each and every day. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns GM John Dorsey will interview Packers exec Eliot Wolf Tuesday

Link Copied to Clipboard