Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
P
So I don’t go out to eat often but when I do I prefer a decent, non chain, restaurant. I’d rather spend my money on quality food and quality preparation. That said, a typical meal out for two, when I do go out, may run $40+, pre tip. Booze not included.
Anyway, there’s a Thai place in Portland called Lang Baan where I just got reservations. The first table for four available was for May 25th. I grabbed it. The menu is a set course menu. They only have 8 sittings a week. From all reports the food is absolutely fantastic. It’s $65 per person. I’ve been told to expect to pay about $80 per person once wine is included. This will be the most expensive dinner out I’ve ever experienced...or paid for. A VERY rare treat.
Prior to this I’d dropped $120 (wine included) for a night out for me and a date. Which frankly hurt a little. Lol

So out of curiosity I’m wondering what other Dawgs have gone out and dropped serious cash on a single meal.
I’m not posting this as a ‘my account is bigger than your account’ brag thread. Lord knows there’s plenty of folks on this board doing much better than I am. Please let’s not turn this into another politicized thread. Frankly it’s sad I even have to make this request.
Just lay it on us.
What was your priciest meal you’ve ever paid for? (Booze not included as that can turn a $15 dollar burger into a $60 night.)
Where was it?
Do you feel it was worth the money spent?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We took our families out for a Chinese dinner. There were 10 of us. I called ahead to set it up.

The Chef was world class and prepared for us the entire meal served to President Nixon when he made his historic visit to China.

On the last course the Chef came out to meet us to everyone's applause.

The tip was in the hundreds.

Legend
Legend
I've been to dinners and fine restaurants where the pharmaceutical reps picked up the tab, which was well over 100 per person for the food and appetizers, and with drinks over 200. I had to give short presentations to small groups of physicians, though. The food was fantastic, but I'd never pay that out of my own pocket. One or two times a year I'll take the wife to Mancy's Steakhouse where I'll pay around 50-60 for a fabulous steak and appetizers. We took the son and his girlfriend there and the bill was over 200 with drinks. That's the most I'll drop.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
My wife and I, back in 2012, ate at L'Atelier at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, which is Joel Robuchon's restaurant. We did the 9 course Discovery menu and it was $170 per person and it did not include our wine pairing and/or drinks. It was definitely a splurge meal that was absolutely amazing and incredible to watch the kitchen work to prepare each course. Tip and drinks included, we were around $600.

To your last question, I thought it was worth every penny and I would absolutely do it again. I would like to do the tasting menu at Eleven Madison Park in NYC next time around.

A
Legend
Legend
A
When my son graduated with his bs, I told him we'd go anywhere he wanted to eat.

He chose M, kinda sorta in downtown Columbus.

Food was good - but dang, I hated it. Expensive, and one of those places where if you just order a steak, that's what the hell you get: A steak.

Want a salad, or soup? More. Want a side? More.

Avg for the 4 of us was, if my recollection is correct, right around $45 per person.

We also like to go to a Japanese Hibachi place in Toledo - well, Perrysburg I think it is.

Of course, we do the sit down at the table where the chef cooks right in front of you thing. We were just there Sat. 3 of us - $115, tip not included. (that did include 2 beers for me)

Both of those are kind of 1 and done things. Especially M. Although, about twice a year we go to the Japanese place - Nagoya - I'm sure Clem and jfan know about it. Food is very good, but you pay for the atmosphere and "show".

Legend
Legend
I once got the Wendy's Baconator meal ...... large sized. wink

Nah, probably the most expensive meal I ever sprang for was about $100 before drinks at the Springfield Grille. It was the Valentine's Day menu, and we had steak and lobster. The steak was tender enough to cut with a fork. Too bad the girl wasn't quite as tender ..... crazy rofl

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
P
FYI. The place I dropped $120 was The Columbus Fish Market. This was 18 years ago. The food was exceptional. I’d highly recommend it to those in central Ohio.

[Linked Image]
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Try Holdfast - I think it is $125 but I believe that includes wine pairing. And, it is spectacular.

I used to work for the former parent company of DSW shoe warehouse and I'd get to conferences every so often, where companies would try to wine and dine us into contracts. We'd have several thousand dollar bills, probably came out to $300-400 (including booze) per person back in the 90s.

I don't know the most expensive meal I've had, but I know I'll be hitting up one of the Joel Robuchon restaurants soon, so I'll say that will be it - I think he's $300-400/person not including alcohol.

Legend
Legend
$2400 plus tip. Party of 8 in downtown San Fran. My sons wedding rehearsal dinner. Had 4 Bottles of Dom to boot.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
I've probably eaten more expensive meals that I didn't pay for, especially through work. However, what would be the highest for me personally? I remember my wife and I met a friend at Don Shula's steakhouse ~12 years ago. The bill before tip was $295. We had ordered a bottle of wine for ~$46, so the food was about $80 per person. I think we each ordered a steak, baked potato and a veggie. Very good.

I know I can get into the upper $40's when ordering sushi for myself. I think I might do that once a month. Too damn good.

Oh, does our wedding count? That was $115 a head and we had 210 people. The money we got back paid for most of that, but still.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
P
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
P
I see a lot of high priced steak being a big part of people’s meals. I know there’s a quality difference between a Safeway slab of beef and some Kobe beef but I guess I don’t see, personally, going out and ordering a porterhouse or whatever. When I go out to eat I look to eat food I could never prepare, on any level, at home. Either too complex or too ‘out there’. Like I can’t make sushi. So it’s worth paying for.
Is there really that big of a difference between a good cut from a good butcher made at home as compared to what you get at an El Gaucho, or equivalent steakhouse?

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I think restaurants gets the best quality beef, but they also dry age it too. That removes 25% or more of the water which intensifies the "beef" flavor. It's weird, but it works.

There was an episode of Good Eats that went through the process of dry aging your beef in the fridge. Even if it smells funky, it's part of the process. Check it out.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
C
Legend
Legend
C
Two people, $370.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
I think restaurants gets the best quality beef, but they also dry age it too. That removes 25% or more of the water which intensifies the "beef" flavor. It's weird, but it works.

There was an episode of Good Eats that went through the process of dry aging your beef in the fridge. Even if it smells funky, it's part of the process. Check it out.

Correct, restaurants (higher-end ones anyway, get USDA Prime) although certainly not impossible to find at your local grocer or butcher shop it is more rare to find. Typically, it will be USDA Choice.

However, you can order USDA Prime from meat purveyors that supply some of the finer restaurants online. For example, I ordered my dad a USDA Prime Black Angus standing rib roast from Pat La Frieda for his b-day and had it shipped to him. Just one idea if anyone wanted to go that route for high quality beef. You can order dry-aged as well.

P.S. I saw that episode of Alton Brown, never tried it myself though.

D
Legend
Legend
D
About 20 years ago we dropped $120 (not counting tip) on dinner for my wife and I at Johnny's Bar on Fulton Rd in Cleveland. We had calamari for an appetizer, a bottle of pretty expensive white wine, lots of bread and salad, and a main course of gnocchi with shrimp and broccoli alfredo. It was good.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dinner for two, Kobe beef steaks with all the trimmings and a bottle of wine in Tokyo, almost $400 with tip. Lobster dinners for eight with drinks at the Palms in Santa Monica was over $200/head. I'm not sure if these are the most expensive meals but they were two of the best. Both were fantastic and well worth the price, especially since I didn't have to pick up the checks. My wife and I just dropped $250 with tip at Mancys in Toledo for our anniversary. Crab and bone in Rib eye with drinks, apps & desert. Beautiful place, food was meh...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Ruths Chris when my wife and I were on the big island. It was around $480

Oh wait, I almost forgot. When I was in the hospital I had salisbury steak with green beans and mashed potatoes, a roll with butter. I think it was $1070 when I got the bill.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
It's not uncommon for my wife and I to drop $250-300 plus tip on dinner when on vacation or a special occasion, but nothing crazy like $400 bottles of wine. A typical nice dinner on the town might cost $120 plus tip...so $140-150 2-3 times a month.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I paid about 500 GBP for an Indian curry meal for 6 while in London for a wedding. Best meal I've ever eaten too, even though it all kinda looked like vomit. I don't know what they put in that food, but it was great. Not a thing that came out was bad with the exception of the bill. I think with the going exchange rate at the time it cost me about $750-800.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Not the most expensive meal I ever had, but the best.

The Fisherman’s Platter at The Seafarer

When we first moved to Connecticut in ‘81, my fiance and I used to go to this seafood restaurant in the Hartford area.

They had a seafood platter that was out of this world.

I think it was under $10 at the time. But you did have to wait in a crowded waiting area typically an hour to get a seat. A couple drinks and fun conversation with strangers helped the time pass quickly.

It had a small grilled swordfish steak, scallops, shrimp, & lobster chunks all grilled or baked and served on a bed of savory rice.

We probably hit the Seafarer once a month in the first half of the ‘80s. (we were both working long hours and ate out a lot).

Much better than the few $100+ meals I've had in my life.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The $45 I spent at BW3 on the first meet up with my ex wife ended up costing me more than any other meal I have ever had

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
P
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: kingodawg
The $45 I spent at BW3 on the first meet up with my ex wife ended up costing me more than any other meal I have ever had

I hear you. The $120 meal I’ve referred to was an early date with my now ex wife.

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I wonder if any Clevelanders remember or heard of a well-known fancy restaurant I think it was in Lakewood (right on the border with Cleveland) and right on Lake Erie.

It had big picture windows that looked out on to the lake and you could see downtown Cleveland.

A great venue for a restaurant and I imagine very expensive.

Pier 4?

Yes, apparently still there.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Pier W. Excellent place and an incredible Sunday brunch I might add.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Dinner for two, Kobe beef steaks with all the trimmings and a bottle of wine in Tokyo, almost $400 with tip. Lobster dinners for eight with drinks at the Palms in Santa Monica was over $200/head. I'm not sure if these are the most expensive meals but they were two of the best. Both were fantastic and well worth the price, especially since I didn't have to pick up the checks. My wife and I just dropped $250 with tip at Mancys in Toledo for our anniversary. Crab and bone in Rib eye with drinks, apps & desert. Beautiful place, food was meh...

Mancys is where we used to have our foreman meetings. Loved the food but that was along drive home. Especially since the meetings were after work. And then to drive to Norwalk. I was lucky if I made it home by 11pm. Then back up about 330am to get ready for work.

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: nordawg
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

Mancys is where we used to have our foreman meetings. Loved the food but that was along drive home. Especially since the meetings were after work. And then to drive to Norwalk. I was lucky if I made it home by 11pm. Then back up about 330am to get ready for work.

Mancy's is the best value higher end steak house I've ever eaten at hands down (I grew up in Toledo so I've eaten there many, many times).

Most expensive meals have been for business - took a team of about 10 people out to a high end steakhouse in Roanoke, VA (Frankie Rowlands) and dropped about 4k + tip. I submitted that expense report and my boss called me within about 5 seconds of me pressing the button, lol. I kew they wouldn't fire me and the company had billed the client upwards of 5M so I figured taking the entire team out that actually got it done was reasonable. Most had never been to any sort of higher end restaurant.

Most expensive I've actually paid for and not part of business was probably in the 300-400 range. When I'm on vacation I love eating out at great restaurants and don't mind paying for it.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
P
Well no wonder so many products cost so much, we’re paying for company employees to eat $300 a plate meals on the company’s dime!
Lol

Meanwhile I have a monthly meeting with coworkers. We do a breakfast with each other and talk shop. We use to put it on the company AmEx. They put a stop to it. I guess $65-70 a month to feed 5 of us breakfast was too rich for their blood. Now we go Dutch. Geez, I’m in the wrong line of work.

[Linked Image]
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Last week I paid around 119 dollars (tip included) for a place in Anchorage.

It's a local Anchorage brewhouse with a great atmosphere. I ordered a beer, a margarita, steak (came with mashed potatoes), and peanut butter pie. The lady ordered a margarita, creme brulee, and a artisan pizza of some sort.

Anchorage dining is a bit more due to cost of living, but we supported it due to the local nature.

I think is the most I ever paid for with food, but it was worth it in the end. My girlfriend's birthday was the next day, too.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Our family likes to eat. LOL......We cook gourmet meals, but we also enjoy eating out.

Ruth Chris is expensive. We even paid for the water.

I took my wife to Lannings in Ohio and that turned out to be expensive.

There was a place here in Columbia called Dianne's and I spent over $500 on that one. They have since closed.

We travel and eat at high priced spots in places like Kiawah Island, Hilton Head, Savannah, New York, Charleston, etc. I can't remember all the prices, but we spend a lot of money.

I would rather pay a ton of money when I go out and be thrilled w/the experience and the food than go low budget and look at a bunch of slobs and eat crappy food.

My favorites are actually the locally owned places that specialize in certain types of food. They are relatively expensive, but not excessively so. They have charm, character, and the experience is a huge part of the evening.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Quote:
My favorites are actually the locally owned places that specialize in certain types of food. They are relatively expensive, but not excessively so. They have charm, character, and the experience is a huge part of the evening.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I'm fine with paying a bit more for local places, and it gets directly pumped back into the locale. I've done more of that since this summer, and I'm making it my own personal mission to avoid chains if I can.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice. That is the way to go, Rocket.

I've been thinking of opening up a place. I'm Italian and an excellent cook. My wife is an awesome baker and cook, too. I would love to open up an intimate establishment that has a limited, but delectable menu.

The restaurant business is very tough and that is what is holding me back. My wife owned one before she met me and she hated it.........but still.....I would love to create wonderful dishes in an environment where people feel welcomed, comfortable, and valued.

Legend
Legend
I took my wife to paris for our anniversary in 2012. it was only a 4 1/2-5 hour drive from where i was stationed.

i made a reservation at the 58 Tour Eiffel, which is the resturant at the top of the eiffel tower. it ran me close to 300 bucks total for both of us.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Nah, probably the most expensive meal I ever sprang for was about $100 before drinks at the Springfield Grille
]

I miss the Springfield Grille frown

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I've got one: The French Laundry in Yountville, CA (Napa valley). It was top on my wife's bucket list and she's a big time foodie.

The Chef is Thomas Keller, who was hired as a consultant in Ratatouille. The kitchen in that movie is actually supposed to be a replica of his kitchen at The French Laundry. It's his flagship 3 star Michelin Restaurant. The dude carries some legit credibility as far as chefs go.

Anthony Bourdain had a special where he went to the French Laundry and met Thomas Keller. When he first met him, he looked like a 5 year old who met Michael Jordan back in the 90's.

It's a Chef's tasting menu. 9 courses. $300ish per person with gratuity included. Ended up being $660 or so with taxes and everything else. You can also "upgrade" each course if you want to, although I would say it's not worth it. With the wine we ordered, the final bill ended up being $725.

Honestly, it was worth it.

I'm a very picky eater. I HATE fish. There was a fish course. It was awesome. Every course was a work of art. Seriously. Those 9 courses were the best 9 things I have eaten in my life.

Super, super difficult to get a reservation there, but I did some research and found a way that seems to work. If anyone is ever interested in trying to go there, shoot me a PM and I can talk my strategy with you.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Mmmmmmmmm........sounds awesome! I want a home in Napa Valley, too. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Mmmmmmmmm........sounds awesome! I want a home in Napa Valley, too. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Haha, it was an awesome time. My wife said it was her favorite vacation that we ever took...including our Honeymoon. Like you, she's Italian. Has a profound appreciation for food. Loves wine. It worked out well because I love traveling and I was able to learn a lot of good travel strategies for the valley on that trip.

I have to say though, we stayed at the Hyatt in downtown Napa because I have a lot of points with them. Awesome hotel if you like modern style. Downtown is quaint, but still has a lot of shops, bars and restaurants. Ox Bow Farmer's Market is awesome. There's also a shocking amount of microbreweries in downtown Napa as well. Even Stone Brewery was just opening up a big time operation there when we went.

The downtown area is immediately surrounded by neighborhoods with homes that are also very quaint. We were walking through and saw a place with a for sale sign. Checked it out online. 1,200 square feet. Over $1,000,000. saywhat

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Morton's in downtown Cleveland. Wifes birthday dinner a couple of years ago.

Me, Wife, Mom in Law and wifes best friend.

$700.00 which of course included a few drinks.. But steaks all around (filets of course). They were great,, the whole experience was terrific, but $700 bucks for 4 people seemed a bit rich for my taste..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Haha, it was an awesome time. My wife said it was her favorite vacation that we ever took...including our Honeymoon. Like you, she's Italian. Has a profound appreciation for food. Loves wine. It worked out well because I love traveling and I was able to learn a lot of good travel strategies for the valley on that trip.

I have to say though, we stayed at the Hyatt in downtown Napa because I have a lot of points with them. Awesome hotel if you like modern style. Downtown is quaint, but still has a lot of shops, bars and restaurants. Ox Bow Farmer's Market is awesome. There's also a shocking amount of microbreweries in downtown Napa as well. Even Stone Brewery was just opening up a big time operation there when we went.

The downtown area is immediately surrounded by neighborhoods with homes that are also very quaint. We were walking through and saw a place with a for sale sign. Checked it out online. 1,200 square feet. Over $1,000,000. saywhat

My girlfriend is from outside the Napa area. The ‘poor’ part where the laborers live and drive in from. Her sister works for a winery in Napa. So we go down occasionally to visit. Keeps it cheap not having to pay for lodging. We don’t do much eating out when there as it just tends to be too pricey. It’s cheaper to stay in and prepare meals. The bonus is we enjoy the wine at a much discounted price.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:
Nah, probably the most expensive meal I ever sprang for was about $100 before drinks at the Springfield Grille
]

I miss the Springfield Grille frown

They're still there. We could grab some lunch there sometime, if you want.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Most expensive meal you’ve ever eaten?

Link Copied to Clipboard