1st String
OP Offline
1st String
H

V
Legend
Legend
V
Shoot, now the comments we made about Tabor on the Coaching Hire thread will need to either be regurgitated or be lost forever...LOL

H
1st String
OP Offline
1st String
H
My bad, was pretty excited about it myself. I looked around to see if it was anywhere.
Really though in coaching hire thread? Aways so off topic I looked in Rosen thread first.
Again, sorry just excited to see him go.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't criticizing you. I was just kidding around. It probably already deserves its own thread. I just feel dumb re-posting what I already said. But again..........you didn't do anything wrong.

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
meh

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
meh

Agreed. Meh.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let's see who we hire before we throw a parade.

Seriously I read this and then just read Broncos hired Greg Williams as DB coach.

Before anyone has a heart attack like I did, it's Greg with 1 "G".

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's about time. I just never was impressed with our special teams.

Under Mangini/Seely our Special Teams was so much better.

Teflon Tabor made it through so many regime changes. I figured he must date Haslam's daughter or something.

Seemed like a nice enough guy, was well regarded by coaches, but I just never have seen it. I've wanted Teflon Tabor gone for awhile

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagree. I think he is a good coach.

The top of our rosters were terrible. What do you think the bottom was like? Those guys are your special team dudes.

I watched his units and I didn't see any schematic fundamental issues. I saw some poor tackling at times and guys who didn't belong out there.

Furthermore, Sashi got rid of a lot of our best Special Team players and we were forced to throw guys like R. Louis out there who despised tackling.

I don't think losing him is a huge deal, but I would have preferred that we would have kept him. This is the first move of the off-season I am not thrilled with.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
I disagree. I think he is a good coach.

The top of our rosters were terrible. What do you think the bottom was like? Those guys are your special team dudes.

Season after season it's always something with Tabor.

I mean, this guy was before Sashi. This guy was before Pettine. Wasn't this guy hired during the Shurmur years?

I mean, jeeze. Remember the two blocked field goals in like two games in a row or in one game? Missed blocks by Cameron Irving and Danny Shelton. Both guys are athletic enough to play special teams.

How about the year no one could catch a punt. I mean nobody. Even Jim Leonhard, who only had to fair catch the thing, dropped the ball (because he decided to run in out (it was a fumble))

What was the longest return we had this year? And when we really needed a decent play to win the game, we gave up that ridiculously long return to Green Bay?

Tabor has been around here awhile. I've never been impressed. He's seen regime change after regime change, yet he's always stuck around.

There's way too many other guys in the NFL that want an opportunity. Sorry Tabor, don't let the door hit you when you leave. You sure as heck are no Brad Seely

EDIT: I would also like to say, thank you to Hue Jackson for letting this guy go. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and I wish him the best professionally and all that (on a personal level, anyone getting fired sucks), so I'm happy that he's found a new job. But man, this is good news to me. See ya later Tabor

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 01/10/18 11:56 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
Chris Tabor was hired based on the work he did as Dave Toub's assistant (while with the Bears). Weird that the guy everyone says our new GM wants as his head coach is Dave Toub and we let his former protege leave.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
... I think he is a good coach.

Something I've noticed over the years is that immediately following major roster changes special teams play goes South. Then, over the next couple years they are good again. That makes sense since the influx of rookies and second year players are settling into their responsibilities.

NOT AN EXCUSE: Tabor was saddled with a new group of young players last year and again this year. Things take time. He'll do well in Chicago, once he settles in.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
He got hired all ready? ...

Holy crap was that quick!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Somebody doesn't think he is a bad coach.

Somebody from the coaching staff had to be held accountable for last years mess.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
From what I understand, he wasn't fired. Chicago must have reached out to him and we allowed him to walk.

I am not positive that's what happened, but that is my understanding of the situation. There weren't any reports of him being fired that I am aware of.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Thanks ...

That explains the quick turnaround in getting hired in Chicago ...

Fired ... let him pursue other opportunities ... SEMANTICS ...

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When was the last time we returned a punt? Kickoff?

Has our field goal unit been outstanding?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
nanner nanner nanner

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
From what I understand, he wasn't fired. Chicago must have reached out to him and we allowed him to walk.

I am not positive that's what happened, but that is my understanding of the situation. There weren't any reports of him being fired that I am aware of.

I know....it just sort of happened.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Addition by subtraction. We've had such incredibly poor special teams for such a long time and this guy has survived multiple regime changes. pfft

The more things change the more they stay the same.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Addition by subtraction. We've had such incredibly poor special teams for such a long time and this guy has survived multiple regime changes. pfft

In the 15th & 16th games of this year...we got a delay of game penalty when lined up to punt...and not on-purpose either...in the last two games of the year. I'm ready for some new coaches...and some kind of team identity.

Legend
Legend
Our STs have been pretty bad IMO. Our coverage units pretty good, but overall it's been below average. Penalties, no return yardage, nary a blocked kick/punt

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Do we know if he was actually fired or if he was just allowed to leave?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Tabor has been one constant for the Browns during an incredible period of turnover for the organization, enduring two owners, five general managers and four head coaches. Browns coach Hue Jackson agreed to let Tabor out of his contract to return to Chicago....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/foo...0110-story.html

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

Tabor has been one constant for the Browns during an incredible period of turnover for the organization, enduring two owners, five general managers and four head coaches. Browns coach Hue Jackson agreed to let Tabor out of his contract to return to Chicago....

Thanks. So what do we make of this?

Legend
Legend

well, I can make a hat, or a broach, a pterodactyl...

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Even the cockroach left. We're scorched Earth.

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Maybe Tabor felt HE needed a change he has been here awhile.

T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T

He's been trying to get fired for years lol.

B
Legend
Legend
B

I disagree. Tabor was a good coach and we ranked pretty high before this past season.

The ST coach works with the bottom of the roster guys. Our bottom of the roster wasn't as good as it was a few years ago.

The ST coach can only coach them. It still takes them returning kicks and punts and tackling and punting and kicking.

Some of you are acting like it was he that wasn't returning kicks for touchdowns.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Over 7 seasons Tabor managed to survive 2 owners, 5 general managers and 4 different head coaches with the Browns.

He should be in the HOF just for this. What's the opposite of continuity?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
What's the opposite of continuity?

The Browns?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I disagree. Tabor was a good coach and we ranked pretty high before this past season.

The ST coach works with the bottom of the roster guys. Our bottom of the roster wasn't as good as it was a few years ago.

The ST coach can only coach them. It still takes them returning kicks and punts and tackling and punting and kicking.

Some of you are acting like it was he that wasn't returning kicks for touchdowns.

his best years we were middle of te pack as far as ST... his problem was he took over from a great ST coach...

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
Legend
Legend
I assumed he had tapes or pictures or something. Not sorry to see this one leave finally. Overdue IMO.

Who do we take in for this? Any assistants coming/going as well? We have had breakdowns in the past. I think we just got a little better.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Chris Teflon Tabor gone!

Link Copied to Clipboard