Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Okay, some speculation thinking here. Now that that we will have Thomas in camp and he turns out to be as good as everyone thinks he will be. What should we do with Shaffer?

Colts need a replacement for Tarik Glenn badly and if we can at least get a #2 or #3 pick do we do a trade?

Personally, this possibility will not be done until we at least finish camp and get a chance to see what Thomas looks like in game action. Also I would wait to see how the right side of our OL performs also. JMHO

L
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
L
Quote:

Okay, some speculation thinking here. Now that that we will have Thomas in camp and he turns out to be as good as everyone thinks he will be. What should we do with Shaffer?

Colts need a replacement for Tarik Glenn badly and if we can at least get a #2 or #3 pick do we do a trade?

Personally, this possibility will not be done until we at least finish camp and get a chance to see what Thomas looks like in game action. Also I would wait to see how the right side of our OL performs also. JMHO

The Colts drafted Tony Ugoh to replace Tarik in the draft. Only team out there open for a trade might be the Giants or Dolphins.

Legend
Legend
Colts drafted tony ugoh for a reason. Your probabaly going to get teased at for wanting to trade shaffer since we finnaly have depth at O-Line.

L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
There was a similar thread about the NYG trade rumors...Unless I got a first round offered for Shaffer I wouldn't trade him...he is valuable as depth and may end up being a starter.

No 1st he stays...a 1st he goes

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Colts drafted tony ugoh for a reason. Your probabaly going to get teased at for wanting to trade shaffer since we finnaly have depth at O-Line.

I got your back Stabber

Joe Thomas T Cleveland Browns
Height: 6'6' Weight: 313 DOB: 12/4/1984 Age: 22
Jul. 26, 2007 - 7:19 p.m. ET
Browns agreed to terms with T Joe Thomas, the No. 3 pick overall, on a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal includes $23 million in bonuses.
With Eric Wright also agreeing to a deal, Brady Quinn is the lone Browns draft pick left unsigned. Thomas, a marvelous pass blocker, should be the team's starting left tackle right away. If he progresses quickly, the Browns may consider shopping incumbent LT Kevin Shaffer to the Colts, who recently lost Tarik Glenn to retirement, or re-opening trade talks with the Giants

Source

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just kind of seems foolish to draft a guy who would eventually back up tarik glenn if your not going to let him start.

Legend
Legend
The thing is Tony might not be ready yet. He may still need polishing and I don't know that the Colts would want to put Peyton's health in his hands.

#gmstrong
L
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
L
The real problem with trading Shaffer is the 5+ million dead money cap hit we would take. So like I said unless it's a 1st rounder I don't really think it would be worth it...

Go Browns!!

[Linked Image]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

The real problem with trading Shaffer is the 5+ million dead money cap hit we would take. So like I said unless it's a 1st rounder I don't really think it would be worth it...

We could eat it this year, we have tons of cap space.

Plus it'd only give us MORE cap space next year, and we're already #1 in cap room next year.

EDIT: but why trade quality depth?

Last edited by Ammo; 07/26/07 08:13 PM.
Legend
Legend
We will be well under the cap. We should be able to afford the cap hit. I don't want to see Schaffer go because we need to think of him as a RT cosidering Tuck's injury history and age.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I´d only do it for a 1st or 2nd rounder....and the Colts 2nd rounder would be the minimum for me....no way we should trade Shaffer for a 3rd or 4th...not right now. It´s all about timing....the next draft is far away and the picks have less value now and fielding a competitive team is what it´s all about now...sooo, 1st or 2nd or highway...especially if the "rumblings" several posters have heard (Baxter thread) is true and a starting Browns OL will be suspended for 4 games.....

I´m just guessing based on rumblings FWIW...but I´d guess it´s Tucker since he reportedly was on pain killers...but again, that´s just a wild guess....and if this guess becomes reality I´d only trade Shaffer for a 1st rounder

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I´m just guessing based on rumblings FWIW...but I´d guess it´s Tucker since he reportedly was on pain killers...but again, that´s just a wild guess....and if this guess becomes reality I´d only trade Shaffer for a 1st rounder

I read that about Tucker also but I think it is wrong. I believe it was side effects from medicine used for mental health problems.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I don't want to trade Shaffer right now.. in fact, I don't want to trade him this year.. I love the depth we seem to be building here and I love the idea of having two guys that have played LT in the NFL (Stienbach and Shaffer) and one that was a stud LT in College on this team..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't know if we'll trade him or not, but here are three reasons to keep him, 1) Potential starting RT 2) potential starting RG 3) Real depth at LT. We finally have depth and a few options, I don't know what price would be worth giving that up for, especially with a rookie LT. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Our o-line depth while it looks good may not be as great as we think.

Say we trade Shaffer. Tucker is getting old and has only a couple yrs anyway, but who knows when his mental illness will flair up. McKinney, while I really like him, has not yet shown his neck can hold up and he is only signed to a 1 yr contract, we don't know how effective LCB will be this year. Sowells, Matua, Smith are all unproven. Are you comfortable with Butler, Dorsey or Freidman playing major roles should it come to that?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The real challenge is whether or not there is a decent backup to Shaffer..

Possibilities.

Butler
Steinbach
Sowells

I would let camp go for a couple of weeks before pulling the trigger on this one. A team is going to lose an OL sometime during the season, and having a backup is required.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
After last year's "Buy a Bentley, ship a Faine," i dont believe Savage will be as quick to get rid of O-line depth.

There are no sacred cows.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I actually examined the possibilities of such a trade.. then I remembered how many years we've had double digit IR lists..

I'm not interested.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
thread sounds like this is an article

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

After last year's "Buy a Bentley, ship a Faine," i dont believe Savage will be as quick to get rid of O-line depth.

x2.

It worked out for us in the end, though (i'll take Fraley over Faine any day), but our O-line chemistry was atrocious for the opener.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Quote:

I actually examined the possibilities of such a trade.. then I remembered how many years we've had double digit IR lists..

I'm not interested.

Me, neither.
Keep Shaffer unless a trade offer absolutely knocks you out.
We need him for depth, and maybe he'll even start somewhere on our line.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Even if Indianapolis didn't invest a 1st round pick in Tony Ugoh, they almost never bring in starters they didn't draft. The only starter on Indy who they didn't draft was Anthony McFarland, who Tony Dungy drafted in Tampa Bay when he coached there, so nobody starts for Indy who wasn't drafted by the Colts or Dungy. Besides, Shaffer will probably be our starting RT this year with Tucker moving to guard (where he is a better fit), and we need him.

[Linked Image from i232.photobucket.com]
R
2nd String
2nd String
R
No, trade to Indy for a first or not at all. We will eventually have to go through Indy, so it isn't in our best interests to trade him to them. The Giants, Bucs and any other needy, weak teams for a second will do.

Ted Nugent said,"that Davy Crockett shooting at Santa Anna's Army was the right thing to do, he just wouldn't get the Hispanic vote today".
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Giants won't take him, their GM recently said LT wasn't an important position.

We'll see how Eli does this year...

B
All Pro
All Pro
B

j/c

Just as an FYI, Indy doesn't have a 2008 first round pick, they traded it to SF so they could move up into the 2nd and select Ugoh. Which I doubt they would spend their 2008 second rounder to take KS, thus losing a 1st and 2nd in 08. If they got desperate enough to inquire about KS, they 'might" go as high as a 3rd, but I find that doubtful as well. One never knows, of course, until the deal is either done or at least discussed by the GM's.

Statistics are like a bikini; what they show is interesting, but what they hide is vital.
Drive for show (1st round), Putt for dough (rest of draft).
Rookie
Rookie
Only way Shaffer gets traded this season is if somebody comes up with some DLine help or a 1st day pick. OLine depth is vital, but if a team in need wants to overpay, he could be tradeable. LT is a premium position, no doubt about it (NYG are crazy if they don't believe that). If the cap hit could be absorbed this year (when we happen to have tons of cap space) it might work out in the Browns favor. Unless KS starts at RT, he IS going to be overpaid for a reserve linemean,

If Phil can get 1st-Day pick value, it may be worth it to ship him out. If not, I'm sure he'll fit it somewhere & contribute. MHO

Woof Wooof!!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
*LOL* ...... no way in hell we get a 3rd rounder for him much less a 2nd .. NOT A SHOT IN HELL ... thats just silly ......

we will at best get a 4th rounder for him ... and hes worth more to us at this point than a 4th rounder as depth ...

as 2nd or 3rd ... *LMAO* ... thats just wishful thinking ..

Rookie
Rookie
Quote:

*LOL* ...... no way in hell we get a 3rd rounder for him much less a 2nd .. NOT A SHOT IN HELL ... thats just silly ......

we will at best get a 4th rounder for him ... and hes worth more to us at this point than a 4th rounder as depth ...

as 2nd or 3rd ... *LMAO* ... thats just wishful thinking ..

Perhaps.

What I said was "if any team in need is willing to OVERPAY for Shaffer" it would be worth it.

Woof Wooof!!!
Legend
Legend
Quote:

Oh good lord, you are making that up aren't you... An NFL GM saying that the LT position wasn't important?

Tell me it ain't so

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
I would say it will take well into the season to know if Thomas is more like Brick or more like Gallery.

I say keep Shaffer for at least this year....who knows...maybe Tucker is the guy we want to trade next year.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
DAMAN...

i read him ripping Luke Petigout (sp?)...not the LT position, or downplaying its importance...he was saying that Petigout has been a marginal LT for awhile, so it's not big deal to lose him...given that, i doubt they'd part with much for another marginal LT...

i'd keep him unless some GM took some stupid pills and offered an early pick...

Browns fans are born with it...
A
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A
Quote:

Quote:

Oh good lord, you are making that up aren't you... An NFL GM saying that the LT position wasn't important?

Tell me it ain't so

From profootballtalk.com....time to laugh cuz it legitimately happened.

REESE SHOULDN'T TALK TO THE MEDIA . . . EVER

On closer review of the article in which Giants G.M. Jerry Reese jabbed a poop-covered stick between the gap in Michael Strahan's front teeth, Reese also takes a surprisingly gratuitous shot at former Giants tackle Luke Petitgout.

In the face of criticism that the Giants shouldn't have cut the one-time first-round selection, Reese proceeds to kick Petitgout in the crotch.

"People are so worried about left tackle . . . I think that's so overrated," Reese said. "People act like Petitgout was the second coming. He never made the Pro Bowl, and I don't think he ever was a first alternate. Now all of a sudden he's the savior? That's ridiculous. I don't think we're that bad off without Luke Petitgout. He was not a star left tackle. He was a solid left tackle on some occasions and other times he wasn't. Luke has been a marginal player for a long time."

Remarked an industry source in response to these comments, "Until you learn how to talk to the media, don't." The source also described Reese's decision to criticize publicly a player who is currently under contract with another team as "amateurish."

Reese's comments, in our view, reflect the verbal meanderings of an insecure man who believes that he needs to justify his decisions in an effort to make as many people as possible happy. If he can't make his decisions and move on without feeling compelled to defend them, Reese won't be a G.M. for very long.

Legend
Legend
Oh Geez,, Ammo, like DNA said, it appears that he's ripping Pettigout more than he's saying the LT position isn't important..... But this comment:

"People are so worried about left tackle . . . I think that's so overrated,"

Kinda leads one to believe that he doesn't think the LT position is so important either..

In either case, the guy should just shut up... he's not very good in the press at all....

Man, stupid comments like that from a GM is just another reason I'm glad we have a guy like Savage.... He's NEVER be so stupid as to say that... Even if he believed it, he's not stupid enough to say it out loud.

Last edited by Damanshot; 07/27/07 08:54 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

i'd keep him unless some GM took some stupid pills and offered an early pick...

Does Floyd Reese know bOtch???? if so maybe bOtch gave him a couple because we all know bOtch has an AMPLE SUPPLY ... *LOL* ..

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:

Shaffer's contract he signed last March was a 6 year 36M contract with 12 in bonus. The bonus is pro-rated over the life of the contract, which means the remaining 10M would escalate to this year if we traded him if I am not mistaken - so if we keep him, we are up for the 2M in bonus plus his 815k salary (see nflpa.org), and if we trade him, we are up for 10M. Thats a 7.2M extra cap hit if we trade him this year. Too much in my mind for a guy who will either start or provide quality depth.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
DAMAN...

i took the 'LT is overrated' as in context to their situation, b/c the fans and media were raising so much stinnk about their lack of a startet to step in for Petigout...but that's just how i took it...

DIAM...

to be fair, i don't think Butch made any of his colassal mistakes via trade ...

Browns fans are born with it...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:

to be fair, i don't think Butch made any of his colassal mistakes via trade

my bad .. i thought stupid pills were generic ... I didnt know there was draft specific stupid pills and trade specific stupid pills .... i ASSumed they were generic ..

thanks for straightening me out ...

All Pro
All Pro
Oh my. I wonder how the remaining Giants feel about this? A public comment like that could lead the team to feel more like they're chained to an oar rather than valuable members of the organization.

After reading something like that, Shaffer would have to be insane to want to be traded there. As it stands now he's on a team on the rise and making good money. He'll see playing time for sure this year so it's not like we don't want him around.

Thomas will be our LT at some point this year. Shaffer will still be here and hopefully not playing hurt like he did last year. That's a really good problem to have.

J.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
Legend
Legend
DNA,, yeah, I understood that,, Thanks

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
All Pro
All Pro
M
I wouldn't trade Shaffer, unless KC wants to trade Larry Johnson straight up for him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Possible Trade If Thomas Lives Up To His Hype

Link Copied to Clipboard