Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. is out with his 2008 big board of the top 25 NFL draft prospects (Insider), and Louisville quarterback Brian Brohm tops the list. It is, obviously, way too early to say with any degree of certainty what the top of next year's draft will look like, but Brian Brohm seems to have solidified his spot at the top of all the draft boards.

Kiper, like nearly all draft analysts, limits himself to evaluating seniors, apparently bowing to the NFL's wishes that it not come across like it encourages players to leave college early. But he does list his Top 5 juniors by position (again, Insider), and it's interesting to note that Louisville's Hunter Cantwell is listed as the top junior quarterback. Could Louisville have the second-best quarterback in the country holding a clipboard?

As for the other quarterbacks in Kiper's top 25, Kiper ranks Kentucky's Andre Woodson the sixth-best senior prospect in the 2008 draft, and Michigan's Chad Henne 11th. Kiper's highest-ranked player from a non-BCS school is quarterback Colt Brennan of Hawaii. Brennan puts up big numbers, but scouts will question whether his numbers are a product of the June Jones system.

The important caveat: At this time last year, Brady Quinn was the No. 1 player on all the media draft boards.

------------------------------------

I think it's crazy that the best senior and junior QBs are on the same team, talk about recruiting. I wish I was an insider, but they've been running the scroll box on ESPN showing the top senior/junior at each position if anyone cares to write it down.

[Linked Image from i190.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
And here's a link to the top 100 prospects entering the season from a different site.

S
Legend
Legend
S
43 Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

i say we need a stud DE on our aging line

considering we don't have a first, and assuming we don't try to acquire one (probably would be smart, moneywise) could this be a guy to look at as a 3-4 end?

Rookie
Rookie
All I have to say is:

"The important caveat: At this time last year, Brady Quinn was the No. 1 player on all the media draft boards"

It is way too early for this type of talk.

Woof Wooof!!!
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
And 5 minutes before the draft he was thought as a lock for the top 5. It's not like it was that far off, no one thought he would slip that far.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Quote:

It is way too early for this type of talk.

it's never too early for this type of talk when you aren't the one making the decisions.

besides, who doesn't love talking football?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love Brohm, but he needs to stay healthy and play at the same level under Kragthorpe that he did with Petrino. Easier said then done.

And TSN last year heading at this point was listing Drew Stanton...yikes

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Quote:

43 Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

i say we need a stud DE on our aging line

considering we don't have a first, and assuming we don't try to acquire one (probably would be smart, moneywise) could this be a guy to look at as a 3-4 end?

If Jackson declares for the draft he is a lock for the top 20 picks. Chris Long is more realistic in the 2nd round, but he'll probably go late first too.

Two prospects who intrigue me and are very possible targets of our's in round 2 or maybe 3: Dre Moore, DT from Maryland (6-4/311) is very athletic and could be a DE in the 3-4. Kendall Langford is the other, DE from Hampton (6-6/295)...he had 8 sacks last year and is a great 3-4 DE pro prospect though raw and from a small school against poor competition. The one NT I like next year is BJ Raji from Boston College (6-1, 340). Not sure how much of a pro prospect he is, but I'd like him in round 3 or 4.

[Linked Image from i232.photobucket.com]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Anyone have an opinion on Calais Campbell out of Miami(6-8,282) and def seems to have the frame to bulk up. I've only seen him play a couple times and he looked kinda lanky to me.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Campbell's a good, but raw pass rusher. I think he's 4-3 guy though.

Legend
Legend
From what Ive seen Campbell is a top 5 prospect. A guy to look at would be B.J Raji - NT- Boston College= 340lbs big guy to replace teddy.

Last edited by candyman92; 07/28/07 03:31 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Andre Woodson will be taken ahead of Brohm,in the 08' draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
well, it's not like we have a pick in the first round so there isn't really the same need to talk about it this year compared to last year... IMHO

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum 2008 NFL Draft: Mel Kiper Has Louisville QB Brian Brohm No. 1

Link Copied to Clipboard