Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Re read that. The Giants and Colts spots would have to go to Barkley and Fitz.

That is not going to happen as Eli is not a long term option, and the Giants will probably take the QB that the Browns pass on. Giants are in need of a QB and would be foolish to pass on one.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Re read that. The Giants and Colts spots would have to go to Barkley and Fitz.

That is not going to happen as Eli is not a long term option, and the Giants will probably take the QB that the Browns pass on. Giants are in need of a QB and would be foolish to pass on one.

I'll be shocked beyond shocked if Rosen and Darnold don't go 1-2.

Hypo. Giants have ZERO Running game and a PATHETIC OL. What if they go Barkley or the #1 LT?

They will undoubtedly get offers.

What if Indy does the same thing? Barkley or the #1 LT?

We sit at 4 with Darnold or Rosen on the board. Denver at 5.

Our phone will be ringing. Teams will want to jump Denver.

Do we sit and take Minkah-Fitzpatrick? Or do we make the deal which would most assuredly include a teams 2019 First Rounder.

How bad would Elway want the QB? We get Pick 40, drop ONE spot and STILL get Minkah-Fitzpatrick.

All mute since Darnold and Rosen are going 1-2. Just not sure who that team at 2 will be.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
For what it's worth, Earnest Byner REALLY likes Saquon Barkley, via Twitter.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BDU

What does Jim Brown think though? He's the one that called the Trent Richardson bust.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: BDU

What does Jim Brown think though? He's the one that called the Trent Richardson bust.

Jim Brown said he’d take Fitz over Barkley ..... wink

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Taking Barkley makes sense to me. A good run game never hurts a young QB. Kosar Mack and Byner worked out well.

A few years back, I yelled at the TV when big Penny was taken over LT. one of them is in the HOF.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That can work both ways, Charger. A few years ago we took Trent Richardson and passed on defensive guys like Luke Keuchely, Fletcher Cox, Melvin Ingram, etc.

K
Rookie
Rookie
K
As of today my #1pick is Barkley(he's got the "it"factor)#4pick is Chubbs from NCST(his motor never stops).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think there are so many RB's in this draft every team could take one and there would still be RB's left over.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
I think RB Saquon Barkley isn't going to go as high as people think.

No one I talked to had him top 7.

That's not to say he isn't talented, but it appears media higher on him than league.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/957652070898814976

P
Rookie
Rookie
P
I am not sure. I remember being really excited about Trent Richardson as a cant miss pick and look how that turned out.

I understand Barkley prefers to go outside instead of hitting the hole, and we already have that RB in Duke. This RB class is very deep...We can take a very solid RB later in the 2nd round.

Honestly I would feel more comfortable with a QB and Fitzpatrick.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Who’s the last Top 5 pick RB to win a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: myka
Who’s the last Top 5 pick RB to win a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him?

http://pfref.com/tiny/Mrtfa

Reggie Bush?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

http://pfref.com/tiny/Mrtfa

Reggie Bush?

I believe Bush wasn’t the starter by 2010 when they won. (Not sure)

Quick search shows he only had 150 yards that year. So I guess technically he was on the winning team but hardly important.

If that’s the best example and already 11 years ago maybe we recent history shows RBs have gone down in value.

Then again Fornette should be in one if not for Refs, so maybe it’s case by case.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Barkley, a lot. I would love it if we could draft a QB, and Barkley, and Fitzpatrick. But something tells me that's not going to happen.

I know many would like to see us acquire Cousins or Smith, then draft Barkley and Fitzpatrick, but again, I don't think that's going to happen.

So that leaves us with drafting a QB and either Barkley or Fitzpatrick. So the question is, which is the bigger drop off; from Barkley to the RBs likely available at the top of the 2nd round, or from Fitzpatrick and the DBs likely available at the top of the 2nd?

To me, the answer is that QB, Fitzpatrick, and 2nd round RB is the better combination.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend

You can almost say the same thing about quarterbacks too though. In the last 20 years, the only top 5 QBs to win are the Mannings and Elway.

C
Legend
Legend
C

You can almost say the same thing about quarterbacks too though. In the last 20 years, the only top 5 QBs to win are the Mannings and Elway.

http://pfref.com/tiny/ODHHE

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Interesting.

But I guess we can be honest and say the last 20 years have been dominated by 5-6 quarterbacks and their teams aren't even picking in the top 5.

Although that list of quarterbacks, I think all of them minus those of the last year or so and Russell have led a team to the playoffs.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Yeah, I don't like narrow and slanted criteria to try to say why a player shouldn't be chosen. Reporters and some fans point out those types of things but I sure as hell hope our FO would never consider that type of criteria when choosing a player.

It will come down to our vertical and horizontal boards rather than the number of Super Bowl wins by a certain position drafted w/in a certain number of picks. LOL

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

[quote=myka]Who’s the last Top 5 pick RB to win a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him?

Yes, you can, and I have.

I’ve been a big proponent of drafting a QB later on in the draft if you can’t get one #1 overall.
There are some exceptions like Matt Ryan, but for the most part it’s held up.

I always like the idea of drafting linemen (O and D) and difference makers (like a Ramsey type) early.

With the NFL rule changes it’s just been way better to get O weapons and Oline and put them around a smart system QB like Brady, Dalton, Flacco etc

Heck, even the superstar gunslinger QB have been later on in 1st round. Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Brees. etc

Legend
Legend

Totally agree.

He is for my money a can't miss player.

He can do it all as a runner, returner, and receiver.

After taking the top quarterback at one I would be thrilled to get him at four.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have no problem with Barkley at 4. The loose rumors about the Browns taking him 1 would probably be enough for me to lose my mind. SB is a great prospect, but this team hasn't had a QB in 30 years. Number 1 better be a freaking QB....period.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
Amen! I like this kid. But vet in FA and a first best QB seems great to me. Get some Buckeyes!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The thing about Barkley is there are going to be better later in the draft. Maybe not much later, but later. The thing about Fitzpatrick.... He's on another level all by himself.

Last edited by devicedawg; 01/30/18 08:04 AM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
We have taken Gabriel in the past. History is not the final word n in or case irrelevant.

1. Running game n defense has been wrongly squashed. Both are very important. Individually RBs take a physical toll.

2. Getting the best of something is always a good thing. Barry Sanders made the Lions relevant, Jim Brown carried the Browns for years. Barkley is special.
3. Our priority should be QB. Firz n Bark are both excellent we cannot lose by taking one of them.

These guys have big decisions to make...the good news its all good.
Jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Legend
Legend
C
From Geoff Schwartz (brother of Mitchell Schwartz):

Quote:
No offense to running backs...you can find them in any round. Drafting one early in the draft isn’t that important for a position that’s not that valuable. Most successful QBs in the NFL are high draft picks. Some exceptions but not often. Don’t take a RB over a QB you love

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/969994491238248448

Quote:
Look, I get Barkley is an athletic freak but if you’re drafting a starting lineup, so 22 total players for a team, the running back is like 15th for importance. So my point is you don’t draft a RB over a QB you love. However ...

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/969995405365833728

Quote:
If Barkley is that talented at RB and the next best player on the board isn’t close to as talented at their position (hope you follow that), then take Barkley. Especially if you already have players at that other position.

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/969995849777414144

Quote:
I just tweeted multiple reasons why the Browns should draft a QB at 1 and Browns fans are still trying to convince me they should take Barkley at 1. Just can’t fix those ppl.

https://twitter.com/geoffschwartz/status/969997482955591681

D
Legend
Legend
D
Comments I totally agree with.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
except that you have at least 3 QBs that are about equal in talent so you don't lose anything by taking a QB at #4. This is a very unique draft in that you have 3-5 QBs who will most likely turn out to be franchise QBs.

In any other draft I would agree with you. In this draft we have just as much a chance to get a franchise QB at #4 as we do at #1. It's even possible that at #3 they don't even draft a QB so we could end up still getting darnold or rosen at #4. If giants don't go QB too then we have our choice of QBs. Saquan won't be there at 4 that much we know.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
except that you have at least 3 QBs that are about equal in talent so you don't lose anything by taking a QB at #4. This is a very unique draft in that you have 3-5 QBs who will most likely turn out to be franchise QBs.

In any other draft I would agree with you. In this draft we have just as much a chance to get a franchise QB at #4 as we do at #1. It's even possible that at #3 they don't even draft a QB so we could end up still getting darnold or rosen at #4. If giants don't go QB too then we have our choice of QBs. Saquan won't be there at 4 that much we know.

I agree with this 100%.

If we take Barkley at #1 we are guaranteed 2 of the following QB's available for us at #4

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield.

I think Darnold and Rosen would be gone and we would have our choice of either Allen or Mayfield. ( Right now i'd give Allen the edge at #4 over Mayfield)

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I too have come around to Barkley and truly think we need him. After the combine, I would be very happy with Barkley at 1 and Allen at 4. Sign a Vet, let Allen learn and Kizer can be the #2 for the season while Allen is red-shirted. However, if Allen beats Kizer then let him move into the #2 spot and only play if the Vet goes down OR if he beats the Vet.

Barkley, however, stands head and shoulders above the other RBs. If we pass on him at 1 and he squeaks past the Giants the Colts will take him at 3.

However, if we decide to splurge on Cousins (which I don't think we will now) we can take Barkley and Fitz in Round 1!

Legend
Legend

Taking the Quon at ONE would sure throw a wrench into things.

The Giants could feel screwed. They might trade out. They may take their choice of quarterbacks.

The Colts could also put up the for sale sign. Maybe they take Chubb or the best OL.

If the Browns wanted to take Mayfield this could be their play.

Legend
Legend

In the end I believe we take Darnold.

Giants get Barkley.

Browns take Fitz at four.

And I'm good with that.

I hold out hope for The Quon but doubt it.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U really think the Gnats don’t go qb? .. i don’t see it ... they can talk to their blue in the face .. Eli is a shell of his former self ...

I really think there going QB ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the Giants go QB but I don't know if it necessarily has to be at #2.

They could make a move in Free Agency or trade up into the mid to late first round.

Right now I think it is 50/50 on whether they go Barkley or Darnold/Rosen at #2.

I still don't really understand why Sam Darnold is the consensus #1 draft pick...

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Legend
Legend

It is a tough decision.

There is a strong case for going in each direction.

But in the end I think they believe in Eli. Shurmur would want to take Barkley and go with Eli till he breaks. They have Webb. And I think the win now philosophy takes them to Barkley.

I hope they do go quarterback.

V
Legend
Legend
V

I am going to start off by saying that this is your opinion and that is fine. I am going to state my opinion and I hope that is okay, too.

I don't think the 3, 4, or 5 qbs are even at all. I think there is one that is far above the others. I am not nearly as high on Mayfield and Allen as many others.

I think the Browns would be dumb to pass on a the best qb in the draft for a RB, especially one who is not as good as a guy like Zeke. He is a better workout warrior, but he isn't the 3-too/3-down guy like Zeke and he sure as hell isn't as effective between the tackles. The NFL is way faster than college and trying to bounce everything outside isn't such a good idea in the NFL. He's good........but, he isn't the first overall pick in the draft good.

Additionally, the shelf life for a RB is much shorter than it is for almost every other position on the field.

I still think that it is a no-brainer for the Browns to draft Rosen. And again............it is my opinion.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I’m with you on Barkley...find the QB you like and take him. I like Rosen most of all, but if they like Darnold/Allen/Mayfield and take them number 1 you won’t here me complain. Select your guy and develop a plan for him to be successful.

I am warming up to Mayfield and Allen, and surprisingly the more tape I watch the less I like Darnold. I still like him, but I don’t think he’s on the level of Rosen. I would put him in that 2nd tier of Allen/Mayfield. Which isn’t a bad thing as all four of these guys are better prospects imo than what we saw last year.

Last edited by BigWillieStyle; 03/03/18 08:40 PM.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I am going to start off by saying that this is your opinion and that is fine. I am going to state my opinion and I hope that is okay, too.

I don't think the 3, 4, or 5 qbs are even at all. I think there is one that is far above the others. I am not nearly as high on Mayfield and Allen as many others.

I think the Browns would be dumb to pass on a the best qb in the draft for a RB, especially one who is not as good as a guy like Zeke. He is a better workout warrior, but he isn't the 3-too/3-down guy like Zeke and he sure as hell isn't as effective between the tackles. The NFL is way faster than college and trying to bounce everything outside isn't such a good idea in the NFL. He's good........but, he isn't the first overall pick in the draft good.

Additionally, the shelf life for a RB is much shorter than it is for almost every other position on the field.

I still think that it is a no-brainer for the Browns to draft Rosen. And again............it is my opinion.

Your always welcome to have an opinion in my books =)

I still like Mason the best at QB but I see him as a 8 out of 10 stars the same as Rosen. If Rosen didn't have the injury history you know my decision would be really tough on which one I liked the best but it would probably be Rosen too. I like Darnold too but he is more a 7 out of 10 which is still better than anything we have had in 20 years. I have Mayfield as a 7 out of 10 as well. IF Mayfield was taller and more mature I would have him as an 8 of 10 too but he isn't going to get taller and who knows how long it will take him to grow up.

I think any of those 4 QBs with Saquon will be TONS better than just one of those QBs without him. Of course that just my opinion too =)

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

I really disagree comparing him with Zeke. Barkley is better than Zeke on the field and a much better person. He is bigger 233 vs 225, faster 4.41 vs 4.47, better catching the ball, and no off field issues.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Fair enough.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft The case for Saquon Barkley

Link Copied to Clipboard