Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Legend
Legend
P
bonefish If he would turn out to be another Leroy Kelly Wow, there aren't many RB's that can replace a legend of all legends and then become a hall of famer himself, I think he is worth a 2nd rd. pick ... thumbsup

Last edited by PastorMarc; 01/22/18 01:35 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
www.walterfootball.com

Kerryon Johnson*, RB, Auburn Height: 6-0. Weight: 212. Projected 40 Time: 4.54. Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

1/13/18: Johnson carried Auburn to wins over Alabama and Georgia to put his draft stock on the map late in the 2017 season. Versus both defenses loaded with NFL talent, Johnson showed real quickness with good cutting ability, vision, and decisive downhill running. He also played banged up, illustrating his toughness to withstand a heavy work load and some hard hits. In 2017, Johnson averaged 4.9 yards per carry for 1,391 yards with 18 touchdowns. He also had 24 receptions for 194 yards and two scores.

Johnson was the workhorse for Auburn in 2017 and the team engine for their second-half surge. He has second-day potential for the 2018 NFL Draft. Johnson ran for 895 yards and 11 scores in 2016.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Johnson & Johnson....a backfield is born...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Johnson & Johnson....a backfield is born...

+1 thumbsup

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Vers, I like this guy.

He looks like the second best runner I have seen.

Reminds of: Get this: Leroy Kelly.

Long strider, great balance, and really good cutting ability. Shows excellent vision and balance.

Knows how and when to apply power.

I am a huge believer in Barkley. I really believe he is difference maker. I want him bad. But if that doesn't happen I like Johnson.

I'm glad that someone took the time [Pastor may have too] to watch the video.

He looks pretty good and we could probably get him in rounds 3-5. He does take a lot of shots.

I love the LeRoy Kelly comparison, but you know who he reminds me of that our younger posters can identify with?

Shady McCoy.

You interested in watching more vids if I find another guy I like?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I watched the late season game (Alabama?) when he played with a bad wing. I still found him impressive!
Can stutter step and juke when needed but he has a darn big stride when in the open field and good strength and leg drive to move a pile!

Legend
Legend

Always interested.

The Browns can get some quality players this year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Vers, I like this guy.

Long strider, great balance, and really good cutting ability. Shows excellent vision and balance.

I am a huge believer in Barkley. I really believe he is difference maker. I want him bad. But if that doesn't happen I like Johnson.

He looks pretty good and we could probably get him in rounds 3-5. He does take a lot of shots.

I love the LeRoy Kelly comparison, but you know who he reminds me of that our younger posters can identify with?

Shady McCoy.

I watched his videos thank you superconfused

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Always interested.

The Browns can get some quality players this year.

Ronnie Jones II? USC.

Jeremiah has him 13 on his Top 50. Compares to Jamaal Charles.

Anyone?

Legend
Legend

Just watched his highlight reel.

Obviously has good speed. I watched a lot of USC to see Darnold so I saw Jones play quite a bit.

There is a lot to like. Good one cut guy. Probably needs to add 15 lbs or so.

Shows real good burst.

He can catch. Needs work on blocking. Don't see him right now as a three down guy.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

Vers, I like this guy.

Shady McCoy.

I watched his videos thank you superconfused

I know you watched the video. I was giving you credit for watching the video.

P
Legend
Legend
P
thumbsup

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Haven't been on here in a while but these rb' s have kept me busy. I honestly think freeman is going to be the steal but this could go down as the best class ever. He may not have the highlights but he has this way of making small adjustments to his hips as he runs that I've only ever seen in leveon. He's easily the most efficient in his movements with no wasted speed and vision for days. I love watching him block. Hes no zeke but occasionally he's even asked to run block and he looks like a dang fullback which is strange since he runs lighter than his size. I would really like to see him here. I think he has all pro potential.

My only other strong opinion is I find guice to be overrated. Hes a great athlete but he welcomes unnecessary contact and really only makes people miss when he commits to massive jump cuts while essentially halting his run and has mediocre vision at best. I worry about his health as well. He kind of reminds me of trich with average vision but more one dimensional. I learned from that mistake.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: predator16
Haven't been on here in a while but these rb' s have kept me busy. I honestly think freeman is going to be the steal but this could go down as the best class ever. He may not have the highlights but he has this way of making small adjustments to his hips as he runs that I've only ever seen in leveon. He's easily the most efficient in his movements with no wasted speed and vision for days. I love watching him block. Hes no zeke but occasionally he's even asked to run block and he looks like a dang fullback which is strange since he runs lighter than his size. I would really like to see him here. I think he has all pro potential.

My only other strong opinion is I find guice to be overrated. Hes a great athlete but he welcomes unnecessary contact and really only makes people miss when he commits to massive jump cuts while essentially halting his run and has mediocre vision at best. I worry about his health as well. He kind of reminds me of trich with average vision but more one dimensional. I learned from that mistake.

I agree man, with such a deep RB class... Freeman looks like a stud to me, specially if he goes round 4/5

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

I agree man, with such a deep RB class... Freeman looks like a stud to me, specially if he goes round 4/5

I have a feeling we'd have to grab him in the 2nd. Maybe even maneuver into the mid 2nd. The media always undersells the less flashy producers this time of year but the scouts know what's up. I have him as my rb2 but I imagine he's averaging rb4 on most NFL boards. Could be wrong.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Okay.........tru and Pred are two of my favorite posters on this board. Neither of you post a lot, but you guys both know football. Way more than most. I truly respect your opinions.

Here is a highlight video of Freeman. I will add my comment afterwards:

Here is what I see:

Positives:

--Big boy
--Patient runner, I get the Bell comparison
--Decent speed for his size

Concerns:

--Poor explosion
--Didn't see him break many tackles which is surprising given his size
--Slow to the hole

Other observations:

I think he benefited from running through some huge holes. I liked some of his wiggle, but I don't see great moves. I don't see him breaking many tackles. I see a Terrance West type.

Now..........you guys come back at me and tell me where I am wrong. Seriously. I respect both of you and I haven't watched him much. Tell me what I am missing.

E
Legend
Legend
E
ok I have read most posts I watch a lot of football and am not much of a stat guy.
I watched every chance I could of 3 teams.
Alabama, love Saban
Penn State, loved playing LB n PS was like LB U as a youth/young adult.
Ohio State cause of respect for many members on this board.
Oklahoma, always liked them n this year wanted to know Mayfield inside out.

The rest would be like, oh let me watch USC cause there is a kid called Darnold. OK State cause heard they got a QB that I hear is good.
Lots of Michigan cause boys n wife ew up watching Wolverines X man got the boys interested in football.

Ok foundation is there. All due respect Vers but this should be RBs not named Barkley. I dont think I ever have seen a RB of his caliber....since maybe Herchel or Earl Campbell.

Sure teams ultra game planned against him the 2nd half of the season.but Penn State did not have the skill on that team for the season they had.

I agree this is a strong class but we wont see a RB come along this good for a long time.

Hands, vision, size, speed.

Growing up I had to follow the Browns through Monday box scores and a rare game on TV.

But our Browns only had success via our RBs.
Jim Brown, Leroy Kelly, Gregg Pruitt.Mike Pruitt, Mack n BynerI get it its a different era, multiple WR,
Less CB talent than WR.

Why I dont wish to put all our apples in the RB basket, QB is the #1priority hands down.

But man o man jf we can get QB n Barkley. We instantly will become a great team.

If you all wish to talk about the other RBs cause if he is gone by #4 its the year to still invest in one of the rest. I get it. But if Dorsey, Highsmith n Wolf are the football guys I think they are...they will RUN the card up there if Barkley is there at 4!

What better way to bring BACK the Browns name by having the greasrest RB of this era. Yes the kid is that good.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Vers, other than your bottom line I generally agree on most of it. Only things I'd point out is his wiggle seems effortless and is very efficient. That's a big deal for me. Also I think his explosion is above average but the thing I like most is how well he pick and chooses when and where to burst. He is very calculated. Agreed on the broken tackles. His biggest knock for me. Though imo the amount of tackles he avoids because of the way he runs more than makes it up to me. And I definitely wouldn't say he's as bad as crow in that respect so it's still a tool he can use on occasion.

Ideally I would like to see him lighter at the next level. He won't have the # of reps as he did in college. 240 is way too heavy for a finesse runner. I'd like to see him at 225 like leveon did but the additional weight theoretically helped save his body through a full college career.

Ps he's also a 3 tool back which I know you value highly. If you get deeper into his film keep an eye out for his blocking. Hes no zeke but he's fun to watch especially since they ask him to lead block sometimes.

Last edited by predator16; 02/02/18 09:32 AM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks Pred. I will try and watch more of him.

Legend
Legend
Interesting when I saw these Rankings:

Look at who is ranked second as a runner. The guy who I said reminded me of Leroy Kelly.

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft/rankings/_/year/2018

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Thanks Pred. I will try and watch more of him.

No problem Vers. I'll be looking forward to seeing your projection and positional ranking.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Leroy and the orange helmets and my old man liking the Giants were the reason I became a Browns fan 50 years.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
bonefish, I like Johnson quite a bit. I also think that Rashaad Penney from SD St a lot.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
bonefish, I like Johnson quite a bit. I also think that Rashaad Penney from SD St a lot.

Have you gotten to Darnold's RB Ronnie Jones II yet?

I'm watching ALOT of Darnold and this dude is insanely quick with major Break Away Speed. I'm talking NO CB or FS comes even close to him when he gets to the 2nd level.

Super quick to the hole. Decisive and shifty.

USC runs alot out of the gun.

I see this Kat as Haley's LeVeon Bell.

Last edited by kwhip; 02/03/18 06:15 AM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
No, not yet. I'll look at him next.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Hey Vers...just now seeing your feedback on Royce Freeman...

Your eyes don't fool you..you observed the same faults I have seen. Where's his speed stand? He could disappoint on the 40 at the combine, as that's not his forte. I think I had posted somewhere on this thread as he doesn't play up to his size, which I hate to see. He doesn't run through you like say Brandon Jacobs or Blount would...he reminds me more of say perhaps Rudi Johnson (haha can't believe I remember him)

I don't see him on a tier of say Barkley..As Freeman is more flawed and less potent, as why I think he will be a middle round back with this stacked class.

I also worry about those four years of high or higher volume carries, he has 947 college carries...Kevin Smith (the infamous UCF back who carried the ball way too much in college) had 904 carries...Freeman is proven, but that scares me some.

I think with recent success of middle round and late round backs (Kamara, Hunt both 3rd round picks, Jordan Howard 5th round) those are three pro bowl backs...and it's showing you can find great success with middle of the pack RBs (draft board wise) Nothing against Barkley I would love to have him, but the talent is great at RB this year.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Vers...you know what stands out to me on Penney...He kind of reminds me of Shaun Alexander...like a very deceptive runner, who can out run people you wouldn't imagine. Admittingly I have only seen highlights of him and that only tells a biased version of a player, he literally is barely touched because he out angles or out runs everyone...rare to see for a nice sized back.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Have you gotten to Darnold's RB Ronnie Jones II yet?

I'm watching ALOT of Darnold and this dude is insanely quick with major Break Away Speed. I'm talking NO CB or FS comes even close to him when he gets to the 2nd level.

Super quick to the hole. Decisive and shifty.

USC runs alot out of the gun.

I see this Kat as Haley's LeVeon Bell.

Jones is lightning quick, he can slash and just run North in a flash...kind of has that flair like Kamara, though Kamara is a stronger runner. He definately can surprise and he should rise combine time.

2nd String
2nd String
Kalen Ballage (Arizona State) RB is my pick to be the break out sleeper of all the RB's in this draft

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs

Vers...you know what stands out to me on Penney...He kind of reminds me of Shaun Alexander...like a very deceptive runner, who can out run people you wouldn't imagine. Admittingly I have only seen highlights of him and that only tells a biased version of a player, he literally is barely touched because he out angles or out runs everyone...rare to see for a nice sized back.

Hey tru, I posted a video of Penney earlier on this thread. It shows all of his plays in one game, both good and bad. They even put in his blocking plays. He has a ways to go in blitz protection.

He is a very interesting back, though.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Several guys were asking about Ronald Jones from USC. I watched several of his videos. I will only post one of those videos due to time/space. I chose Stanford because they are pretty good and I also showed Penney against them. There are plenty of videos to check out if you are interested.

Here are some of my take-aways:

Positives:

--Very fast. Ran track in high school.
--Has a nice burst and gets to top-end speed quickly.
--Has a nice forward lean.
--Very good spin moves.
--Makes multiple moves at the second level.
--One cut runner who might excel in ZBS.
--Runs between the tackles.
--Strong legs.
--Good vision at the second level.

Concerns:

--Not a real heavy guy.
--Poor pass blocker.
--Vision isn't so good behind LOS.
--Not a patient runner.
--Wasn't impressed by him as a receiver.

Summary:

I like the guy, but not as much as some others. I see him as change of pace back who probably won't play a bunch on 4rd down. He'll probably do better in a ZBS.

Here is the Stanford vid:

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep , he caught my eye ..

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
https://twitter.com/RyanMc23/status/959803987619966977

@RyanMc23

The top rookie RBs, listed in order of age (youngest--->oldest)

Ronald Jones II
Kerryron Johnson
Derrius Guice
Mark Walton
Saquon Barkley
Josh Adams
John Kelly
Royce Freeman
Rashaad Penny
Nick Chubb
Kalen Ballage
Jaylen Samuels
Akrum Wadley
Sony Michel
Bo Scarbrough

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I was interested in Chubb last year when he was rumored to come out as an underclassman. If we don't get Barkley, We should be able to get Chubb in the second - third round.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know who did what but I'd look at who has had the heaviest and least college workloads and factor that in. Only so many carries in these guys unless they're genetic freaks.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I see special in Barkley. I only see good in the other top 5 running backs. I hope he is there at #4 (doubtful).

Darnold and Barkley - sign me up.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
People will probably flip out over this one, but I think Barkley is somewhat overrated.

Dude is fast. He's big. He's strong. Great athlete. No doubt about any of that.

I do see some concerns. I think he bounces some plays way too early. I think his vision isn't all that great. I think he gets tackled for losses or no gain much too often.

He's a good back, but I would not spend a top 5 pick on him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Barkley isn't the runner Elliott, Gurley, and Fournette are but he's a better receiver then the last two. I see him as a slightly better version of Duke and would rather we team Duke up with a good runner later in the draft.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
You gotta take the bad with the good with Barkley, just like Detroit did with Sanders. How many negative runs did he have?

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
https://twitter.com/RyanMc23/status/959803987619966977

The top rookie RBs, listed in order of age (youngest--->oldest)

20 year olds

Ronald Jones II
Kerryron Johnson
Derrius Guice
Mark Walton
----
21 year olds
Saquon Barkley (Turned 21 two days ago)
Josh Adams
John Kelly
---
22 year olds
Royce Freeman
Rashaad Penny
Nick Chubb
Kalen Ballage
Jaylen Samuels
---
23 year olds
Akrum Wadley
Sony Michel
Bo Scarbrough

To add some context to the list.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Ranking and Evaluating the Running Backs

Link Copied to Clipboard