Print Thread
#1402183 02/04/18 12:22 PM
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It seems like almost every year in the past we've had a thread about Super Bowl feasts and festivities. I'm actually not nearly as excited about this SB as I usually am. While I root for the underdogs annually I just don't feel like the Eagles have that much of a shot.

But at any rate, my menu is a pretty simple one this year.

For snacks, Cream cheese with chives on crackers with smoked salmon.

My home made chili.

Like I said, I usually go with a little more varied and exciting menu but just not that fired up about it this year.

And your SB menu?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Our superbowl menu?

Left overs. Been to too many basketball games this week, (j.v. and v combined, it's been 13 games) which means eating out after the games. Plus, wife made spaghetti Wed.

I don't throw leftovers out. Plus, we bought subs from our church youth group.

I'll get to choose between l.o. beef quesadillas, l.o. chicken quesadillas, subs, l.o. spaghetti, l.o. chicken wings (boneless), l.o. chicken wrap.

It's party central time at the Arch household. We ARE having a party though. Me, wife, and Sooga. And Sooga, when she gets off work, will probably head to her room to do homework. Wife leaves at 10 for work, and I have a hard day tomorrow. Shouldn't be a long day, but it will be a hard day. I hope to be able to watch the end of the game.

Legend
Legend
First year I'm not hosting a party in a long time. Since I've got about 15 pounds to shed, I'm making buffalo cauliflower, garlic roasted mini portabella mushrooms and some turkey chili.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
homemade chili and bite size dogs
chips and homemade salsa
white cheese dip
wings

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
nachos, ox roast, macaroni and cheese ... at least for now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm as exited as ever. Maybe moreso. For one, it's a chance to view history in real-time if the Pats win. Watching last year's Superbowl in real-time is something I can tell my grandkids about. Watching a rerun of an historical game and watching it real-time is way different. I'll watch today's game not knowing the score going in. That's important for the excitement factor.

I'm rooting for and fully expect the Pats to win this one. If so, Brady will have taken all the air out of the phrase, "One for the Thumb". It would now change to, "Two for the thumb, dilly dilly".

I don't understand the animosity toward the Pats. It reminds me of the Trump hate. It seems to have become the thing to do. Hate the Pats because they win. I see no sense in that coming from a football fan. The Pats aren't keeping anybody out of the Superbowl. If you want in then beat them. To each his own.

Anyway, on to the festive menu.

First, I prefer to watch football games alone. (You didn't actually think I was going to get to the point did you?) Worst place to watch a game is in a bar. Then, hosting a party. Then, at someone elses party. Then, having a few good friends over. Then, having one person other than my brother watching with me. I can't stand all the chatter, bitching and side shows that go on in a group. It's hard for me to focus on the game. Plus I like to rewind some plays to see what really happened.

I thought I said "On to the menu?!" The last few years I haven't focused much on the food aspect. As I've grown older my appetite has diminished. No longer do I look forward to scarfing down 12-15 chicken wings plus side dishes. These days 5-6 wings is enough, maybe a taste of coleslaw.

So today I'm making chili. Not too hot. Chili with 88 lbs. of ground meat and lots of crackers and iced tea. One bowl before the game, maybe none during and another bowl this evening. Oh, plus today I'm making corn bread to go along with it.

Go Pats! Make me a part of NFL history.

My chili, not so much.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
It will just be my wife, daughter, son, his wife, and me this year. That's the way I like it. We always go big on food. My wife was on call yesterday, so I'm handling most of the cooking.

I'm grilling steaks and shirmp for dinner. I am also making Lobster Ravioli in olive oil w/tomatoes and parmesan cheese. We will eat that around 5:30.

I made Italian Wedding soup [actually, it's on the stove now.] People can eat this whenever they want.

I also am making a snack plate of various cheeses, fruits, salami, prosciutto, Italian bread, crackers, and a nice Mediterranean dip. My wife will make a sausage dip that is delicious and goes well w/Tortilla chips. We can snack on these before dinner and during the game.

It's kind of an all-day eating event. LOL

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Dang, I might want to rethink my approach altogether. lol

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm trying a wing recipe I came across where you parboil the wings for a few minutes before baking. It claims to make wings with crispier skin.

https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/crispy-baked-chicken-wings-yup-no-deep-fryer-in-sight

Also some Nathan's hot dogs on the grill, and a veg tray with ranch dip. Maybe some tortilla chips and salsa as an appetizer.

Probably a beer or two and maybe a shot of BV, too.

Legend
Legend
You might try broiling them instead of baking. That’ll really crisp them up.

#GMSTRONG
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: ddubia

So today I'm making chili. Not too hot. Chili with 88 lbs. of ground meat and lots of crackers and iced tea.

That's quite a bit of meat. How big is the pot?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Originally Posted By: ddubia

So today I'm making chili. Not too hot. Chili with 88 lbs. of ground meat and lots of crackers and iced tea.

That's quite a bit of meat. How big is the pot?

Must be a block party, a really big block.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I might have to use a 55gal drum for the 88 lbs of beef. lol

I just meant that it will have loads of meat. I don't always do that but today I feel like having two bites of meat with each bite of chili.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Headed over to the neighbors with the fam for a Super Bowl Party.

There will be about 20 or so people with everyone bringing something. A bit of smorgasbord.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It will just be my wife, daughter, son, his wife, and me this year. That's the way I like it. We always go big on food. My wife was on call yesterday, so I'm handling most of the cooking.

I'm grilling steaks and shirmp for dinner. I am also making Lobster Ravioli in olive oil w/tomatoes and parmesan cheese. We will eat that around 5:30.

I made Italian Wedding soup [actually, it's on the stove now.] People can eat this whenever they want.

I also am making a snack plate of various cheeses, fruits, salami, prosciutto, Italian bread, crackers, and a nice Mediterranean dip. My wife will make a sausage dip that is delicious and goes well w/Tortilla chips. We can snack on these before dinner and during the game.

It's kind of an all-day eating event. LOL

I want to eat at Vers house!!!

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
L
Legend
Legend
L
Spicy bbq wings, wife making her cannelloni (spelling?), chips, beer and screwdrivers.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Spicy bbq wings, wife making her cannelloni (spelling?), chips, beer and screwdrivers.

Phillips or slotted?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
We are having mini-sliders with cold cuts, several cheeses, some dip, beer, and "goop." It is simple: Melted Mex cheese mix, some crushed tomatoes, some Pace picante, and some spicy Bob Evans sausage. We eat it with a mix of Dorito chips. Hot and tasty. We also have a bunch of raw veggies and salad, added as a later nod to healthy out of shame. Our SB habits are to graze through the game rather than a big deal sit down. My wife hates "the Patsies." She is happier rooting against them. Good eats, Dawgs! The menu is better than the matchup this year in our opinion. Smells good already!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
He was asked the obvious question:"So, Arch, dude, why so much?"

"Well. I like iced tea."

Enjoy. Sounds perfect!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Phillips or slotted?

wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
Legend
Legend
E
I had a grilled cheese sandwich.

Shrug.

No Craps Given
E
Legend
Legend
E
Just me and the wife...she made me Chili which was a bit hotter than normal. Still I love it with Corn and mix it all in. Pretty much it. Boring and old I am getting lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
I made nachoes, chicken burritos and material to make tacos and everyone was more thankful for the beer haha.

Nothing fancy but it turned out good.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I made a Taco Soup.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I made a Taco Soup.

We are going to need that recipe, please. Sounds like 4-or-5-way chili (chili, cheese, onions, diced tomato, sour cream, etc).

Legend
Legend
I made a Taco Soup.

How do you get the soup to stay in the shell? wink

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
I think I've seen it made with the Bowl as a large Taco shell. Of course placed inside a bowl wink

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
It takes me back to a book of short stories written by Steve Martin, my favorite story was titled, “How To Fold Soup”.

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Cruel Shoes

Legend
Legend
That was the book! thumbsup

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dave
I made a Taco Soup.

We are going to need that recipe, please. Sounds like 4-or-5-way chili (chili, cheese, onions, diced tomato, sour cream, etc).

The quickie reply

2 packs low sodium taco seasoning
3 lbs chuck
lg can crushed tomatos
lg can Mexican corn
can of beans...maybe 2 if you like beans, maybe none if you don't
1 bottle taco sauce...I go mild...people can add hot sauce if they wish
1 large white onion diced
Corn chips
Cilantro chopped
2 tbs sugar to sweeten a bit
I add a large can of mushroom pieces...that is optional. All in my family like mushrooms
Shredded Mexican cheese blend.

Cook and drain beef, add taco seasoning, mix well, add the other stuff, except chips and cheese, add water to cover, bring to boil, then simmer covered a hour or so

Add anything else you want.....chili powder, garlic,cumin, red pepper, etc.

Don't add salt at this point. You add crushed corn chips and the cheese the the bowl at the end. The crushed chips usually bring the salt level to perfect.

Try a small bowl before serving....check it out, then maybe add salt if desired. My theory is just add more chips to the soup.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Thank you sir. Sounds good.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
One thing I think is worthy of note and your suggestion about the salt is dead on the money. It takes a fraction of the salt to reach the desired flavor after cooking than it does during cooking. It's always better and takes far less salt if you add it after your food has been cooked.

The recipe sounds great Peen. I'm a huge fan of chicken tortilla soup myself.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Dave
I made a Taco Soup.

The quickie reply

2 packs low sodium taco seasoning
3 lbs chuck
lg can crushed tomatos
lg can Mexican corn
can of beans...maybe 2 if you like beans, maybe none if you don't
1 bottle taco sauce...I go mild...people can add hot sauce if they wish
1 large white onion diced
Corn chips
Cilantro chopped
2 tbs sugar to sweeten a bit
I add a large can of mushroom pieces...that is optional. All in my family like mushrooms
Shredded Mexican cheese blend.

Cook and drain beef, add taco seasoning, mix well, add the other stuff, except chips and cheese, add water to cover, bring to boil, then simmer covered a hour or so

Add anything else you want.....chili powder, garlic,cumin, red pepper, etc.

Don't add salt at this point. You add crushed corn chips and the cheese the the bowl at the end. The crushed chips usually bring the salt level to perfect.

Try a small bowl before serving....check it out, then maybe add salt if desired. My theory is just add more chips to the soup.

thanks for the great recipe! Since I am going low-carb, I'm going to try this without the beans and using some crushed pork rinds instead of the corn chips. maybe leave out the corn as well.

Last edited by sk8termom; 02/11/18 07:23 PM.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
That could be good...I love pork skins.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Taco soup is legit ... I love that and Chicken Tortilla

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
Since thread and forum soon to be closed thought I would share a story of my life. When I first married my wife she really didn't know how to cook. Thank goodness she learned from my mom but getting back to the story.

So the only thing she knew how to cook was Tacos. But her recipe was for twenty people. So there we are at one of our first home cooked Dinners...and I had to eat about 30 Tacos cause I didn't wish to insult her. lol laugh

Needless to say I soon got sick of Tacos...and we had a Jack in the Box about 3 blocks from our apartment...lol laugh it was the only fast food that we had to drive by on our way home.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I would have never suspected you of doing drive by's.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2017 NFL Season NFL Post Season 2017 So What's On the Menu?

Link Copied to Clipboard