Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1417055 03/09/18 05:33 AM
K
kwhip Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Anyone look at what should be available at Left Tackle come 2019's draft?

This year's LT draft sux. Wouldn't waste a pick on ANY OT in this draft.

Any names?

kwhip #1417057 03/09/18 05:56 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haven't really watched any of these guys but the OT names I've seen put out there for 2019 are:

Trey Adams - Washington
David Edwards - Wisconsin
Jonah Williams - Alabama
Greg Little - Ole Miss

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawg66
Haven't really watched any of these guys but the OT names I've seen put out there for 2019 are:

Trey Adams - Washington
Jonah Williams - Alabama
Greg Little - Ole Miss
ooo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
kwhip #1417067 03/09/18 07:18 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Anyone look at what should be available at Left Tackle come 2019's draft?

This year's LT draft sux. Wouldn't waste a pick on ANY OT in this draft.

Any names?

I don't know about that. I would say there is a good chance we will take a LT type player at some point. Especially if Joe bolts.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
kwhip #1417070 03/09/18 07:38 AM
Legend
Legend
Yeah, that would become a big priority IMO. Unless they truly think someone else in FA can be the LT and maybe draft Nelson

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
If Nelson is there at 4, maybe we will draft him. I heard one of the "experts" saying he could play LT in the NFL.

He's a very safe pick. If we are serious about a Joe replacement, he might be the guy at #4. 6'5", 325, 33+ arms. He has the size to play out of the box.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
If Nelson is there at 4, maybe we will draft him. I heard one of the "experts" saying he could play LT in the NFL.

He's a very safe pick. If we are serious about a Joe replacement, he might be the guy at #4. 6'5", 325, 33+ arms. He has the size to play out of the box.

Please, we already went that way, and look at where we are...

Last year our OL was good, I have no problems drafting a OL high, specially LT, but not because he is the safe pick.

People love lineman and they are always making up excuses for them... just look at the Browns and the Cowboys, when things go right its because of the OL, when things go wrong its because of others...

Zeke last year was good because the Cowboys OL was the best in the league, this year nobody talks how they couldn't run without Zeke, OL is the same, go figure...

D
Legend
Legend
D
Dallas’s OL wasn’t close to the same ... Zeke struggled and looked like a shell of himself the first half of the year ... his numbers were WAY DOWN ... then a few games before the suspension .. he looked much better .. no clue why the turnaround ... i will however say that Alfie looked pretty good during his suspension ... maybe the OL got healthy, i’mnot sure on that ...

Zeke is very very good ... better than i thought ... hes got a shot to be REALLY SPECIAL ...

But lets not make crap up ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Yeah, that would become a big priority IMO. Unless they truly think someone else in FA can be the LT and maybe draft Nelson

I think we might make a strong push for Nate Solder if Joe Thomas leaves. He'd cost a lot, but would be a solid choice. But there's speculation that he might not even have much desire to play football.

I think his kid has cancer (which sucks, and would certainly be a realistic reason he wouldn't be too interested in football)

I know Mayock and a few other guys are very high on McLynchy or however his name is spelled out of Notre Dame. I wouldn't mind trading into the late first to get him. They seem to say that he'll be a safe pick. Has a very good mind for the game. Has the right body. Not the most athletic or strong, but a smart football player

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Legend
Legend
D
Dude from ND is going to end up a RT or a journeymen IMO ... his feet aren’t good enough for LT ... he may slide inside but hes awful tall ...

kwhip #1417173 03/09/18 11:19 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If JT retires I think we will trade out of 4 and take the best LT from that spot probably the kid from Texas ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Eh... I feel the same sentiment. Awhile back when Joe made the sooner than later comment, I looked at the free agent LTs going to be available in 2019.

I feel like, if JT retires, Drango will hold down the position for another year or so and maybe we can address that spot via free agency IF it's a clear weakness. I do think they will grab a LT, but not as high up in the draft as some are thinking.

For those curious, here's that FA list that will come about in 2019. Granted, I'm not an expert on the full list. Curious though others input on the people listed and maybe I'm thinking wrongly about the situation, and we should make a heavier attempt to grab one of the talented tackles in this draft:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2019/all/left-tackle/

kwhip #1417184 03/09/18 11:34 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I like Drango too I thought he did a pretty good job, but can he hold up for 16 games, who is available now in FA the guy from NE (Solder) and who else? If we lose the best LT in the NFL you have to replace him with someone near his skill set ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Legend
Legend
D
For the sake of discussion and not turning this into a free agency LT thread, but for the lines of "discussion" and options, here's what's available now (Player / Age):

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/left-tackle/

Nate Solder 29
Greg Robinson 25
Chris Clark 32
Donald Stephenson 29
Chris Hairston 28
Khalif Barnes 35
Sam Young 30
William Beatty 33
Bradley Sowell 28
Ty Nsekhe 32
Ulrick John 25
Jeremy Vujnovich 27

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 03/09/18 11:41 AM. Reason: link
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
I'd take a good look at Solder.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Dude from ND is going to end up a RT or a journeymen IMO ... his feet aren’t good enough for LT ... he may slide inside but hes awful tall ...

Hmm, unfortunately, from what I've seen, he's the only real candidate available. That guy from Texas (Connor Williams?) and Orlando Brown's Son haven't impressed people from what I've heard. Both seem to have a lazy reputation. And Orlando Brown's son doesn't seem athletic at all.

P
Legend
Legend
P
What that actually means is there isn't a real candidate available. The best this year has to offer is a maybe on a developmental player later in the draft. Desmond Harrison has the skill set for the position. He would need to add a little weight though.

The problem with him is failed drug tests and we know how that ends up. If it weren't for the failed tests I'd take a flyer on this kid in maybe round four.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The pickings at LT are slim this draft. FA isn't a lot better. We might take a shot at a small school under the radar type mid rounds.

Quenton Nelson is in my opinion the best player in the draft, but he's a guard. If we did take him at 4, I would guess that we would move Bitonio to LT.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
The pickings at LT are slim this draft. FA isn't a lot better. We might take a shot at a small school under the radar type mid rounds.

Quenton Nelson is in my opinion the best player in the draft, but he's a guard. If we did take him at 4, I would guess that we would move Bitonio to LT.

Yeah, Nelson makes no sense to me. I'd rather trade down. Bitonio is a guard, and a very good one. No reason to take the best O-Linemen on our team (at the moment) and risk his productivity by having him switch positions

kwhip #1417498 03/09/18 06:54 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
See what LTs have started since sophmore year. Also check n see who came to the school as TE not OL...they usually prve athletic to become great LT (JT btw came as TE) make a list n lets follow them through the next year and hope we are blessed to be able to be in the right spot to take them. Hopefully not well known cause we will be in the 20's somewhere.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
kwhip #1421190 03/14/18 04:02 PM
Legend
Legend
BUMP and Start on 2018 LT's in the draft, instead of starting a new thread.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
dawg66 Offline

Hall of Famer

Loc: West Central Ohio

Trey Adams - Washington
Jonah Williams - Alabama
Greg Little - Ole Miss

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Hot take: Avoid the guy named "Greg Little" and draft the dude from Wisconsin.

kwhip #1421223 03/14/18 04:27 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Need to send Joe out to scout the guy from Wisconsin

kwhip #1421246 03/14/18 04:50 PM
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Most intrigued by these guys if they make it to the 4th round. The later the better. LOL
WalterFootball

Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 310.
Projected 40 Time: 5.20.
Projected Round (2018): 3-4.
2/17/18: Jones had a solid 2017 season, minus a few plays on which he was beaten and allowed his quarterback to be sacked or hit. Jones is a balanced player as a run blocker and pass protector. He is not a twitchy athlete who is especially powerful or heavy-handed. I've heard from some team sources that like Jones, some that have graded him as a high fourth-rounder, and others that really dislike him, putting him in the late rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft. In speaking to sources at a handful of teams, they thought that Jones could end up going on the second day of the draft in part because this is a weak offensive tackle class and some teams will be reaching for tackle help.

9/1/17: With Taylor Decker in the NFL, Jones took over at left tackle for the Buckeyes in 2016. Jones had a solid season and showed improvement throughout the year. He could be poised to rise as a senior as he has some athletic ability and has worked hard to get stronger with better weight distribution.

Brandon Parker, OT, North Carolina A&T
Height: 6-7. Weight: 303. Arm: 35.38. Hand: 9.63.
Projected 40 Time: 5.20.
2/17/18: Parker is a prospect who impressed area scouts during the fall. They thought he possessed developmental potential to be a starter in the NFL. They like his size and length to protect on the edge. Sources said that Parker had received some fourth-round grades, and that was before he had a good showing at the Senior Bowl. Sources in Mobile said that Parker put together a nice week and improved his chances of going on the second day of the 2018 NFL Draft. He practiced well, showing his good skill set along with an impressive NFL body of height, length and weight.

Tyrell Crosby, OT, Oregon
Height: 6-4. Weight: 319. Arm: 34. Hand: 10.88.
Projected 40 Time: 5.28.
2/17/18: In the early going of 2017, Crosby had to work off some rust after missing almost all of 2016, but he still opened a lot of holes for running back Royce Freeman, who racked up a lot of yards on the year. Crosby did not allow a sack or hit on the quarterback in the first five games of the season. Crosby had a quality week at the Senior Bowl, and sources said Crosby helped himself. They have concerns about his height and lack of length to go along with a bad body, but really like his feet and athleticism.

9/1/17: There was some hype and excitement heading into the 2016 season about Crosby, but his season was dashed after he only played in two full games due to suffering a season-ending foot injury in Week 3. Crosby has a good skill set and could rise if he plays well while avoiding injury as a senior.

kwhip #1421253 03/14/18 04:56 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
1st Round Possibility:

(1) Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame Height: 6-7. Weight: 310. Projected Round. (2018): 1.

2/17/18: McGlinchey improved as a senior and is likely the top offensive tackle prospect for the 2018 NFL Draft. He has good athleticism on the edge with the feet to handle speed and good strength to sustain blocks. Unlike many finesse left tackles, McGlinchey is a quality run blocker who can get movement at the point of attack. He blocked well in 2017 and was a key cog in Notre Dame's potent rushing attack.

In his matchup against Boston College defensive end Harold Landry, McGlinchey won the few plays they had against each other. He also helped keep Wake Forest defensive end Duke Ejiofor to one tackle in their contest.

McGlinchey had a rough game against Miami as sophomore defensive end Joe Jackson gave him some issues. He gave up a few pressures against Georgia, too, and showed a lack of awareness on a couple of plays, but overall, McGlinchey played well against the Bulldogs until the end of the fourth quarter, when he was beaten by a speed rush for a sack-fumble with 90 seconds remaining to clinch a one-point win for Georgia. Prior to that play, McGlinchey did very well in one-on-one pass protection on the blind side. He still had one false start, but looked more disciplined in that regard over the course of year.

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/14/18 05:10 PM.

kwhip #1421263 03/14/18 05:14 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
1st Round Possibility:

(2) Orlando Brown*, OT, Oklahoma Height: 6-8. Weight: 360.
Projected Round (2018): 1-2.

2/17/18: Brown is a strong blocker at the point of attack, which was illustrated by him consistently tossing defenders to the ground for Oklahoma. In pass protection, Brown has some athletic issues, like playing too high for the NFL, so speed rushers give him problems. Some team sources feel Brown should move inside to guard as a pro, but others believe that he will be a starting right tackle. Multiple team contacts think that Brown will be a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and project him as a starting right tackle. On the other hand, the 2018 NFL Draft is weak at the tackle position, which could push Brown to end up going on Thursday night of the draft.

Brown has drawn comparisons to D.J. Fluker coming out of Alabama, who was a high first-rounder but was a bust for the Chargers. Sources have said that Brown plays up or down to competition, and that could be seen with an excellent game against Ohio State but an ugly one versus Iowa State. Brown was not consistently dominant in the ground game even though he should have gotten the better of the collegiate linemen he was facing.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
1st Round Possibility:

(2) Orlando Brown*, OT, Oklahoma Height: 6-8. Weight: 360.

2/17/18: Brown is a strong blocker at the point of attack, which was illustrated by him consistently tossing defenders to the ground for Oklahoma. In pass protection, Brown has some athletic issues, like playing too high for the NFL, so speed rushers give him problems. Some team sources feel Brown should move inside to guard as a pro, but others believe that he will be a starting right tackle. Multiple team contacts think that Brown will be a second-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft and project him as a starting right tackle. On the other hand, the 2018 NFL Draft is weak at the tackle position, which could push Brown to end up going on Thursday night of the draft.

Brown has drawn comparisons to D.J. Fluker coming out of Alabama, who was a high first-rounder but was a bust for the Chargers. Sources have said that Brown plays up or down to competition, and that could be seen with an excellent game against Ohio State but an ugly one versus Iowa State. Brown was not consistently dominant in the ground game even though he should have gotten the better of the collegiate linemen he was facing.

Brown improved on his combine 5.86 40, 14 reps at 225 at his proday today. He ran a 5.63 and lifted 18 reps.

#gmstrong
kwhip #1421273 03/14/18 05:25 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
1st Round Possibility:

(3) Conner Williams OT Texas Height: 6-6. Weight: 290. Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

2/17/18: Williams returned to play in the final couple of games of 2017 before shutting it down to prepare for the 2018 NFL Draft, skipping his bowl game. He missed seven games of the 2017 season. Midway through the first half against USC, he went down with a torn knee meniscus and strained ligaments.

As we reported in the Hot Press, Williams was receiving some mid-round grades from evaluators during the season. Some teams have Williams higher, while others really dislike his game. The main issue that sources said was hurting Williams is a lack of strength. One AFC team in need of tackle help said they gave him a late third-round, early fourth-round grade. Another said they gave him a fourth-rounder and could easily have graded him in the fifth round.

I spoke with a NFC general manager who scouted Williams in person this season, and they were disappointed in Williams overall. They felt Williams lacked strength and thought him overhyped. This NFC general manager said they thought Williams was a fourth-rounder. Williams had a disappointing season opener against Maryland, getting flagged for numerous holds, including some that canceled out big plays for his team. He allowed some pressures and hits, too. Williams has some athletic ability, and some evaluators feel he should move inside to guard.

kwhip #1421279 03/14/18 05:35 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
1st Round Possibility:

(4) Isaiah Wynn, OT/G/C, Georgia Height: 6-2. Weight: 308.

2/17/18: Wynn impressed scouts in 2017 as an excellent run blocker for the Bulldogs. He blocks with aggression and has a temperament that is hard to find in college blockers. In pass protection, Wynn was very dependable as well. He performed well at the Senior Bowl practices.

Because he is shorter and doesn't have ideal length, most sources think that Wynn could move to guard or center in the NFL. Wynn started at left guard in 2016, but scouts think he is athletic enough to also play center. Wynn's size and skill set has drawn comparisons to Kelvin Beachum, who is undersized but has managed to carve out a career at left tackle in the NFL. Wynn is just a natural football player who finds a way to get the job done, thus he might end be able to get by at left tackle. However his best position as a pro could come at guard or center.

kwhip #1421283 03/14/18 05:40 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
1st round possibility:

(5) Kolton Miller OT Height UCLA 6'8" Weight: 310. Projected Round (2018): 2-3.

2/17/18: Miller had a rough start to 2017, but turned in a quality season blocking for Josh Rosen as UCLA's left tackle. Miller has good length to him and the ability to stay on the edge in the NFL. However, he might be a better fit as a right tackle in the pros as he can have problems with speed rushes to the inside. Miller played right tackle in 2015 and 2016 before injuries ended those seasons early. He only played in five games in 2016.

kwhip #1421316 03/14/18 06:04 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Cheers for above. Looking into the names people been provided. Keep the prospects/mini summarize coming guys! I for one appreciate it.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
BUMP and Start on 2018 LT's in the draft, instead of starting a new thread.

Chukwuma Okorafor 6-6 320 4.82 Western Michigan SR

There aren't any LTs so to say in this draft. I would like us to take a shot at this kid. He has the good feet, incredible quickness for a man 320 lbs. ! That is not a common thing so this kid is special!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

kwhip #1421429 03/14/18 08:58 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Possible OT Pick:

(6) Chukwuma Okorafor Height: 6-6. Weight: 330. Projected Round (2018): 4-6.

2/17/18: There were some reports in the media about Okorafor as an early-round tackle prospect. After speaking with some team sources, they weren't enthusiastic about Okorafor. Some sources felt that while Okorafor has some athletic ability, he is a very soft offensive lineman, and they think he is going to get pushed around in the NFL. Those team sources were grading Okorafor on the third day of the 2018 NFL Draft and were against their teams selecting him

E
Legend
Legend
E
kid is raw and still new to football. If he was ready for the NFL he would be a top 5 pick.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1421573 03/15/18 07:14 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
kid is raw and still new to football. If he was ready for the NFL he would be a top 5 pick.

A lot of players aren't drafted in the to 5 but are ready for the NFL ... superconfused

D
Legend
Legend
D
Tacking on NFL.com scouting report on McGlinchey ...

Mike McGlinchey 6-8, 312

Overview

The first cousin of NFL quarterback Matt Ryan grew up living and breathing football in a family that loved the game. His hard work and passion paid off when garnering first-team all-state recognition in Pennsylvania, top 10 rankings in national offensive tackle recruiting circles, and a scholarship offer from Notre Dame. McGlinchey played in every game as a redshirt freshman, starting the team's Music City Bowl win over LSU at right tackle. He started all 13 games on the right side again as a sophomore before moving to left tackle for his junior season. McGlinchey started every game in 2016, displaying the quick feet, athleticism, and brute strength to be a very good NFL starter.

Analysis

Strengths Very fluid athlete with background as tight end. Natural movements and able to make cross-face and cut-off blocks. Uses tight, controlled settle steps to help promote balanced, centered contact at the point of attack. Good bender. Strikes and rolls his hips up under him. Advanced technician. Experienced and successful in gap and zone schemes and can play either tackle spot. Works hips double teams hip to hip and has well-timed climbs to linebackers. Quality down-blocker who gets movement and push with leg churn. Works to sustain. Pass sets with excellent posture. Weight is generally dispersed properly throughout his kick slides. Punch placement is adequate. Plays with adequate mirror. Instinctive and searches for trouble brewing with twists and blitzes. Named a team captain in consecutive years.

Weaknesses Below average core strength. Needs more mass on his frame. May not have leg drive to move anchored space eaters. Inconsistent at containing opponents as base blocker. Needs to sustain and finish at a better rate. Power ends can stack and discard him. Allows pad level to rise as move blocker. Pass slide is a little restricted in terms of gaining ground. Tends to deaden feet at punch allowing speed rushers access to his edge if his punch falls flat or misses entirely. Will lean into some blocks as mechanism to boost power. Will uncork his punch a shade too early at times for fear of losing the "hands first" battle. Can be bounced back into pocket by stiff stab moves.

Draft Projection Round 1

Sources Tell Us "Notre Dame will even tell you that McGlinchey is better on the right side than the left side. He's just more comfortable and consistent there so that's probably where you play him. I think everyone tries to beat him up too much. He's going to play in our league and be a decent starter." - -AFC team personnel executive

NFL Comparison Jared Veldheer

Bottom Line McGlinchey will need to add more strength and mass to his athletic frame in order to hold up against NFL power, but his technique and instincts are pro-ready. He could be a polarizing prospect based on inconsistencies from his tape, but he gets guys blocked at a much higher rate than he loses his rep. McGlinchey should become an early starter at either tackle position, but his ability to handle bull rushers and power at the point of attack will define the type of career he has.

-Lance Zierlein

kwhip #1421579 03/15/18 08:00 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Here's NFL.com scouting on Jamarco Jones - OSU:

Jamarco Jones 6-5 310

Overview

Although Jones was a four-star recruit and top 100 prospect nationally, he was coming off a shoulder injury that cost him half of his senior year and needed to mature physically and mentally before knowing what it took to be a great player. For two years, he learned behind Taylor Decker, an eventual first-round pick for Detroit. Jones played in 10 games as a true freshman for the national champions, and then in all 13 games as the team's sixth lineman the following year. Once Decker departed, Jones proved he was ready to go, taking advantage of his length and quick feet to garner second-team All-Big Ten honors as the starting left tackle for every game. He garnered first-team all-conference honors as a senior, starting all 14 games at left tackle for the Big Ten Champion Buckeyes.

Analysis

Strengths Pass sets feature adequate balance, a flat back and chin tucked. Looked much more confident in pass protection this year. Hands are efficient and quick and punches are well-timed. Patient pass slider who waits until target is in range to let hands go. Lands early to disrupt rusher's rhythm. Has adequate reactive athleticism against inside moves. Mirror isn't perfect but is good enough. Has some anchor to sit down against bull-rush. Flexes upper body power to jolt on redirect and down blocks. Catches base block with upward strike and cranks feet to secure. Works double teams with good technique. Impressive agility to adjust to moving targets. Has athletic ability and radar to spring big runs with second level blocks. Comes off first block with smoothness and times up linebackers.

Weaknesses Doesn't have optimal height/length for tackle. Needs to close distance and speed up hands against long edge-setters. Hip bend is average and pad level is high. Struggles to find optimal leverage at point of attack. May improve balance as drive blocker with wider base. Body control is below average. Power ends can stack and dislodge him. Approach angles and post-contact footwork are inconsistent. Outside hand is a little weak in pass protection. Will lunge against edge speed at top of the rush rather than sliding feet to protect the arc. Gets fooled by end/tackle twists. Tape shows potential concerns against good inside rush counters. Would like to see a little more edge in his play demeanor.

Sources Tell Us "He has holes like they all do but I think he's safer than Mike McGlinchey as a pro. Ohio State's scheme doesn't give you as many pro-style looks as Notre Dame, but I think he'll fit in well as a pro." -- NFC team area scout

NFL Comparison Michael Oher

Bottom Line Jones isn't overly impressive and doesn't have many "wow" features, but he gets his job done. He lacks desired NFL height, but makes up for it with longer arms and good upper body strength. While his body control needs improvement, he has proven to have the slide quickness and lateral agility to handle duties on the blind-side. Jones has the talent to become a solid to good NFL starter.

-Lance Zierlein

For other OL profiles at NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-position/dt-by-position-input:ol

kwhip #1421687 03/15/18 11:31 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Grossi has mocked this guy to the Browns at 2b (#35) ... sounds more like a RT to me.

Tyrell Crosby 6-5 325

Overview

Crosby is a big-bodied tackle prospect with a strong anchor and a mean streak as a run blocker. He was poised for a great junior year before injuries caused him to miss all but three games. He missed the opener due to injury, started the next two games at left tackle but suffered a broken left foot. Crosby started 12 of 13 games played in 2015 at right tackle, one year after stepping into the starting lineup because of injuries in 2014. Crosby (a top-40 tackle recruit from Henderson, Nevada) started nine games that year, including each of the final six at left and right tackle, while playing in all of the Ducks' 15 contests.

Analysis

Strengths Wide body with very good combination of mass and length for the tackle spot. Drive blocker with exceptional strength. Has adequate flexibility to drop pads and land at an adequate entry point at first contact. Able to unlock hips enough to boom on smaller opponents at impact. Runs feet through contact and will often generate quality movement in running game. Possesses powerful upper body and can engulf and maul opponents when he gets into them. Not a dancing bear, but he has serviceable movement skills combined with power and arm length to recover against opponents who challenge his inside or outside edge. Hands are strong. Able to handle short pull duties. Has experience at both tackle positions.

Weaknesses Lacks initial quickness. Cut-off blocks are a challenge. Doesn't always secure positioning of base blocks through footwork. Lower hit rate on second level blocks. Technique and finesse need work. Gets lazy with hand placement in pass pro and will default to swallowing opponents with wide hands. Rarely asked to make pure pass sets in Oregon offense. Needs to prove he has adequate kick-slide quickness. Mirror footwork is a little sluggish. Struggles to keep his blocks centered. Will narrow base as a drive blocker allowing opponents to slide out of side door. Body control and balance and are just average.

Draft Projection Rounds 2-3

Sources Tell Us "I think he will be a pretty good pro if he gets with the right team. If you are strong you can play in the NFL. He can improve his feet and learn tricks and shortcuts to help in that area. Coaches can slide protections to him. But you can't coach that size and power." - Retired NFL offensive lineman

NFL Comparison Jermey Parnell

Bottom Line Crosby won't be a favorite of evaluators looking for a pretty tackle who wins with athleticism and technique, but he will appeal to teams who covet size, length and strength as he puts big checkmarks in those boxes. Crosby is a bulldozing right tackle prospect who can generate good movement in the run game, but he still needs to prove he has enough foot quickness and technique to sit on an island and handle quality pass rushers. He has NFL starting talent but his draft stock will be strongly influenced by how he performs at the Senior Bowl and Combine.

-Lance Zierlein

Dave #1421753 03/15/18 01:49 PM
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I like Jamarco's skillset and he really intrigues me as a player, but as an athlete I'm not sure he can make it in the NFL. Here's some combine metrics.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft 2019 Draft LT's?

Link Copied to Clipboard