Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
I am glad my "speculation" is funny to you. Please sir, explain to me how ANYTHING is not speculation at this point, since the draft has not happened yet? Unless you are Dorsey, ANYTHING you say will be speculation as well, no? Or is your opinion so godly that it has to be true?

I think you're missing my point.

My point has been that we don't know who will go two and three.

That's why we can't leave it to chance that we hope to get our guy at four. Like someone said earlier, why would we ever let other teams dictate the quarterback we draft? That's crazy

Don't leave that to chance. It's the most important position on the team. It's the single biggest factor which can make us a consistently competitive team.

Question? What happens to your "most important position" player when every team in the league knows we can't run the football? You would put a rookie under center and announce to everyone, he WILL be throwing the ball 40+ times a game because the Browns can't run the ball.That will be good for his development. You seem to think a QB can do it all by himself. You seem to think this regime has years to bring along a QB. If we don't win games THIS year, Jackson is a goner. What is the easiest position to transition from college to the pros? smile

Spirit I see your still out there when it comes to RB, they have real value no question but its not even close when it comes to impact with a QB.

It also would put the Browns in the passenger seat in driving the top of the draft, you take Barkley and you must then take a QB at 4 all while settling. You take the top QB and you can trade back a spot or 2 and add yet another 1st next year, a year in which you must address the LT spot, not to mention it allows you to get the lay of the land as to where you will need to make roster adjustments after this years draft.

Barkley may be a great player (likely) but he is still a RB and I am dead certain we can easily fill that need in the 2nd round.

I long ago concluded I can get a RB that will do if I have a solid if not great O line for them to run behind. That's much more of a factor then who the RB is IMO. That and a great QB will decide how well you can run the ball.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
Question? What happens to your "most important position" player when every team in the league knows we can't run the football? You would put a rookie under center and announce to everyone, he WILL be throwing the ball 40+ times a game because the Browns can't run the ball.That will be good for his development. You seem to think a QB can do it all by himself. You seem to think this regime has years to bring along a QB. If we don't win games THIS year, Jackson is a goner. What is the easiest position to transition from college to the pros? smile

You seem to think that there's only one running back available to take otherwise "we can't run the football", lol

That's ridiculous. A good RB is a great luxury, no doubt about it. But the most important position toward the consistency of success is QB. That's just how it is. The best RB as of late, Adrien Peterson, how far in the playoffs do you think he ever went? The conference championship in 2009. Who'd they lose to? Drew Bree's with the formidable rushing attack of Mike Bell, Pierre Thomas, and Reggie Bush (and take a look at Reggie's numbers that year, not impressive).

2009 is the only time he's ever even made it out of the Wild Card Round

This year, Peterson leaves the Vikings (albeit he's old), and with god-knows-who at RB they went to the NFC Championship.

I'm sorry. If Barkley is there at 4, he's certainly in play. I'd be very excited to draft him. But the most important player on the field is a QB. We can find someone else to run the ball if necessary. Have you seen Guice? Ronald Jones (who is growing on me)? Sonny Michel, if he can learn to protect the ball better is an exciting player. And Nick Chubb isn't too shabby either. But we can't let other teams dictate who our QB is.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/10/18 10:43 AM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Mayfield will be there at 4, without a doubt in my mind.

Unless he's not. In which case you are screwed.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Don't let someone else choose your QB for you.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gamble big , Win or loose big ! See I'm not sold that Dorsey is in love with either Rosen or Darnold .. I think many believe that they will be the first two QB's off the board .
That would leave you with Allen or Mayfield at 4 .. Or Mason /Lamar ..

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I've seen many of the experts with Darnold and Mayfield as the top two quarterbacks off the board.

If I know Barkley is going to be a hall of fame RB, I'm still taking my top QB at 1. And there's no hesitation.

Last edited by devicedawg; 03/10/18 04:09 PM.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
What if they have the QBs graded out the same?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm guessing they aren't. And if they do, pick one. Draft him #1.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
None of the HBs in this draft have anywhere near the talent Saquan does. I mean it's not even close. I get so tired of hearing this nonsense that you can find any ole running back later in the draft and make it work. That way of thinking has kept our running game in the gutters for forever now.

Yeah we goofed on one we took in the first round before but compared to the amount of failed QBs taken in round one it's an afterthought.

At number #1 you take the BPA. You don't take an OK QB at 1 when you can easily get just as good a QB at #4.

Hell you give an average QB like Tyrod a dominant running game with a player like Saquan and you will have a pretty decent offense that will score twice the points we did last season.

If we keep passing on elite talent to hopefully muddle through it somehow then we deserve what we get. Nothing will hurt our offense more than passing up on Saquan.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I'm guessing they aren't. And if they do, pick one. Draft him #1.
I get it IF they have different grades on the QBs and have 1 graded above all others then in that case it makes perfect sense to take "their" guy.

If they have equal grades on the QB then it makes sense to trade out.

We don't know what the FO thinks of the QBs and we probably won't know until the draft.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If they draft any QB other than Rosen at #1 instead of Saquan then it will probably be the straw that breaks my back as a fan because I have seen enough horrible drafts to last a lifetime already.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
As much as I like Barkley, I don’t think he goes one, or even two. Think he will be there when we pick at four. Here’s my thoughts on it, RBs don’t usually play as long as some other positions in the draft. QBs when good usually play a long time, as do some other positions. RBs tend to have shorter careers, that could be the defining factor for Barkley. If a team thinks he can be good for say 8-10 Year’s then he could go high. He’s a great talent but Gurkey and Fournette also we’re. They both went at 4. But how long past thier second contract will they be able to play? Barkley is a different kind of back then those two, not the banger they are so his career could be a bit longer. Won’t have the wear and tear like they will.

I think Barkley will still go high just not before four. But we’ll see, I’ve been wrong plenty before.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Fair points but I think buth the giants and colts are in a position to really want to draft him so I have my doubts about him lasting to the 4th. I just think he is too special to pass up on.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
If they draft any QB other than Rosen at #1 instead of Saquan then it will probably be the straw that breaks my back as a fan because I have seen enough horrible drafts to last a lifetime already.
Situation matters.

I think the Browns have a good situation to groom a QB.

I don't think this QB group is significantly different in terms of talent.

Whichever QB they pick has a good chance for success.

Seems premature to throw away your fan card based draft preference when the outcome is uncertain.

Last edited by edromeo; 03/10/18 05:40 PM.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: edromeo
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
What if they have the QBs graded out the same?

If they have equal grades then trade out of the pick. Somebody else will pay a ransom for the QB they like the most.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Situation matters.

I think the Browns have a good situation to groom a QB.

I don't think this QB group is significantly different in terms of talent.

Whichever QB they pick has a good chance for success.

Seems premature to throw away your fan card based draft preference when the outcome is uncertain.

Your right because situation does matter and if they can't understand the team's needs and situation enough to draft correctly then why should I waste yet another 2-4 years of my life watching idiots play at being egomaniacs.

You don't pass on the BPA in the draft for a slight improvement at QB.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
If there were only 1 way to build a championship team i would agree with you.

And your position is even more puzzling since you said that you believe the top 4 QBs all have a chance to be franchise caliber.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

And your position is even more puzzling since you said that you believe the top 4 QBs all have a chance to be franchise caliber.

Let's pretend those 4 QBs really are franchise caliber...2 of them will be there at #4.

SB @ #1!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Why is it puzzling. Saquan plus any of those QBs is a much better team than the team that only gets one of those QBs. To me none of the QBs is so dominant over the others that they are worth losing Saquan.

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
My two cents I take Barkley at 1 and might trade down couple at 4 and get my qb there folks there not that good qb this year

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Why is it puzzling. Saquan plus any of those QBs is a much better team than the team that only gets one of those QBs. To me none of the QBs is so dominant over the others that they are worth losing Saquan.

You mean, the choice of the QBs, plus one of Barkley, Chubb, or Fitzpatrick.

Don't act like we don't have the four pick for goodness sake. Chubb and Fitz both look like very good prospects.

I just can't believe folks are even discussing this. We have an opportunity to choose whichever QB we want, and at four we'll get a very good player (or possibly a king's ransom in a trade down).

Instead, folks want a RB and the leftovers at QB.

Ridiculous.............. This is the draft to do it. Identify your QB, whichever you like the most, pick that one. If you haven't made a decision which you like most, keep working till you make that decision

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: dawg1965
My two cents I take Barkley at 1 and might trade down couple at 4 and get my qb there folks there not that good qb this year

I have a feeling Dorsey will take the QB at ! and FS at four. We keep hearing how he is a football guy and not a idiot so noRB until the 2nd round.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Honest question.

Are you sure you're not Jaded in this Barkley at 1 opinion because you have a Woody for Rudolph? And you know for a fact that Rudolph isn't sniffing the Top 4.

Think about that. Seriously.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

Its puzzling because just like their are other QBs that could be successful there are other RBs that could be as well.

And this is coming from someone that thinks Saquan is the best player in this draft. I think Barkley is a HOF type RB. But you don't need a HOF to be a competitive championship team.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E

Last edited by edromeo; 03/10/18 09:46 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

I am gaga about Barkley, I taped all his games. I think we are making the move to a great team finally and what better way to do it with a RB like Barkley.

But here is the thing we are talking football.

Best RB n take our chance on whats there for QB.

Best QB n take our chance we will get a great RB later.

Hmm which is the best fir the Browns.

Its QB silly!

Want our QB we love n take the chance Barkley will be there. If not we get a great D player n a shot at a great RB later in the draft.

If we look at this with common sense its a no brainer.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Rookie
Rookie
John Dorsey does not draft running backs in the 1st round. I was reading past drafts that he made and I noticed he just doesn't draft running backs that high.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Everyone is convinced Dorsey is taking a QB at 1 or 4 but we don't know his opinion on how high he is on Taylor. Just throwing it out there but Dorsey is different than what we are used to in Cleveland. He may want 2 impact players at 1 and 4.

Last edited by Glw12; 03/10/18 10:46 PM.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
J
Jay Offline
Rookie
Rookie
J
With the addition of Taylor,few people realize his arm strength. He has position receivers and deep play makers. I've witnessed pain every year since Tim Couch. S.Barkley is a stud and would give this offense the ability to play two running backs who can catch the ball out of the backfield and Taylor takes care of the ball. Im willing to bet he doesn't turn it over inside the 10 as much as Kizer did. Open the offense up and score touchdowns rather than miss field goals

Rookie
Rookie
I would rather take a chance on a qb than a running back. Remember Trent Richardson was supposed to be a game changer and he didn't last long. Barkley may be something special but when you look at top teams in the league none of them have big time running backs. They just have great schemes.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Snacko
John Dorsey does not draft running backs in the 1st round. I was reading past drafts that he made and I noticed he just doesn't draft running backs that high.

No team John Dorsey has worked for has even taken a running back in the second round, let alone the first round.

E
Legend
Legend
E
There's a first time for everything....

No Craps Given
C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Trubisky (trade)
Mahomes (trade)
Watson (trade)
-
Goff (trade)
Wentz (trade)
Lynch (trade)
-
Winston (#1 pick, QB1)
Mariota (#2 pick, QB2)
-
Bortles (#3 pick, QB1)
Manziel (trade)
Bridgewater (trade)
-
Manuel (trade)

Sitting back and taking a quarterback is dead

https://twitter.com/JuMosq/status/972543472983982080

A
Rookie
Rookie
A
When Andrew Luck was the first overall draft pick by the Colts, everyone knew (scouts) HANDS DOWN that he was the BPA and at the QB position to boot. No one is stating that any of these upcoming QB's in the 2018 draft class is the head over heels #1 talent at the QB position. It's Barkley or bust in my opinion, because it's a safe bet. You literally make the game easier for TT to do his thing with the WR's we have and then Barkley. I'm not saying don't go out and get a QB, I'm saying the #4 spot should be used to fill that hole. He (rookie) can sit behind Taylor and figure out the game for a year. The situation here would immediately be better than what he had in Buffalo in terms of his surrounding corps.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: alexw570
When Andrew Luck was the first overall draft pick by the Colts, everyone knew (scouts) HANDS DOWN that he was the BPA and at the QB position to boot. No one is stating that any of these upcoming QB's in the 2018 draft class is the head over heels #1 talent at the QB position. It's Barkley or bust in my opinion, because it's a safe bet. You literally make the game easier for TT to do his thing with the WR's we have and then Barkley. I'm not saying don't go out and get a QB, I'm saying the #4 spot should be used to fill that hole. He (rookie) can sit behind Taylor and figure out the game for a year. The situation here would immediately be better than what he had in Buffalo in terms of his surrounding corps.

No sorry it would not they have a guy in Buffalo named McCoy you may have heard of him, and oh BTW they have a pretty solid O Line too.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Barkley at 1. enough said, with 4 we hold all the cards with teams wanting a QB at 4

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
And what do WE do for a Future QB?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: kwhip
And what do WE do for a Future QB?

Taylor is still young, he has at least 8 years left in the tank.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When you can possibly come away with Chubb and Fitz, Barclay and one of the top three QBs, your top QB and Fitz PLUS the ability to get a top RB in the draft if you wait... I'd say you ARE in the Cat Birds seat!

And that by no means is the limit of your possibility!

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 03/11/18 08:48 AM.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
JC...

Look at the super bowl teams (Pats/Eagles) Wasn't Blount, Dion Lewis, Corey Clements all UDFAs? Jay Ajayi was a 5th round pick I recall...All had big contributions to their respected teams. I see Saquan Barkley as a very talented back...But I would rather have the best QB at #1 overall...Barkley could very well be there at #4, and I wouldn't mind him...If not, I don't think its the end of the world by any means.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft The case for Saquon Barkley

Link Copied to Clipboard