Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
His feet, decision making, which leads to his inaccuracy at times, other times his throws are outstandingly accurate, especially on the run. Problems a lot of QBs have coming out. Watch the two early throws vs Hawaii he made to the opposite hash, ropes that were on the money, perfect throws, both dropped. Those type of throws are what’s gonna get him drafted higher then most want. Whether he deserves it, only time will tell. He’s got a long way to go.
My flaws for Allen are his accuracy and his lack of production and efficiency while playing at a lower level of competition.

cfrs15 #1424493 03/20/18 08:12 AM
V
1st String
1st String
V
Baker Mayfield is too small for the AFC North. Rosen is too fragile. I believe all the QBs in this draft class have flaws to their games. I believe that the Browns could go with a QB later in the Draft like Rudolph. However, I believe the Browns need to draft a QB #1 overall and my opinion is you go with the tangibles, size, strength, mobility, and speed. If you wish to consider the intangibles such as coachability, leadership, success (winning big games), etc... I think that Josh Allen is not behind any of the other QB prospects in this either. We do not want another short cocky QB like Manziel. I do not think we need a young turnover machine like Darnold. We had one in Kizer. I do not think we want Rosen who could not come through when it mattered in college. Rosen is not a good fit in Cleveland and the AFC North in my opinion. I vote Allen #1 overall no matter what. smile

Voleur

Voleur #1424496 03/20/18 08:24 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Voleur
Baker Mayfield is too small for the AFC North. Rosen is too fragile. I believe all the QBs in this draft class have flaws to their games. I believe that the Browns could go with a QB later in the Draft like Rudolph. However, I believe the Browns need to draft a QB #1 overall and my opinion is you go with the tangibles, size, strength, mobility, and speed. If you wish to consider the intangibles such as coachability, leadership, success (winning big games), etc... I think that Josh Allen is not behind any of the other QB prospects in this either. We do not want another short cocky QB like Manziel. I do not think we need a young turnover machine like Darnold. We had one in Kizer. I do not think we want Rosen who could not come through when it mattered in college. Rosen is not a good fit in Cleveland and the AFC North in my opinion. I vote Allen #1 overall no matter what. smile

Voleur

Jamarcus Allen #1? That would be the most patethic thing the Browns could do

rastanplan #1424500 03/20/18 08:32 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

Voleur

Jamarcus Russell.

Voleur #1424503 03/20/18 08:42 AM
Legend
Legend
We drafted josh Allen in the 2nd round last year. It was such a disaster that we traded him.

You want josh Allen again #1 overall?

Swear y’all staying falling in love with what a player looks like instead of actual results.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
devicedawg #1424504 03/20/18 08:42 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Quote:
In the AFC North, a QB needs to have size to him.

I think putting outliers on positions like this will get you into trouble. Take the best player regardless of size.

If we go into the draft saying we need to have a quarterback of a certain size then we are doing it wrong.

Size or height, Mayfield is not small...he takes a beating and keeps on ticking!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Voleur #1424506 03/20/18 08:44 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Mayfield is short...he is not small. Your reasoning is irrelevant regarding Mayfield...kid is tough so is his body...220+ built like a RB.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1424514 03/20/18 08:54 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
Mayfield is short...he is not small. Your reasoning is irrelevant regarding Mayfield...kid is tough so is his body...220+ built like a RB.

Tell me about it. He's played more than any of these guys, only games he missed were as a true freshman at Texas Tech. A team that he walked on and won the job for.

He's 6'0 1/2 Inches. Merely at most two inches shorter than Trubisky.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
FATE #1424526 03/20/18 09:22 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm on the record .. I think is going to have a Stellar career ( with the right team ).. Thought the same about Brian Leftwich until Del Rio got his hands on him .. whilst into soul bearing ( lol ) I was also a big RG3 fan ( coming out of college ).. So was Toad , ha ha..

Dave #1424541 03/20/18 09:47 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Dave
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

Voleur

Jamarcus Russell.

Taking Josh Allen with the first would be like what the Raiders did taking Jamarcus...

I think only Rosen and Darnold should be taken #1, Mayfield and Lammar with the #4, Allen IMHO is a 2nd round Qb maybe low 1st round.

Last edited by rastanplan; 03/20/18 09:48 AM.
rastanplan #1424713 03/20/18 04:00 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Comparing Allen to Russell - LOL. One has a brain and the other was like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

cfrs15 #1424779 03/20/18 06:51 PM
Legend
Legend
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_will_conduct_private_wo.html

Browns will conduct private workouts with Sam Darnold and Josh Allen this week in conjunction with their Pro Days

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Browns will not only attend the Pro Days of Sam Darnold and Josh Allen this week, they'll also conduct private workouts with those players in conjunction with their pro days, league sources told cleveland.com.

They'll also conduct private workouts with UCLA's Josh Rosen and Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield who had their Pro Days last Wednesday and Thursday when the Browns were busy overhauling their roster in free agency. Browns general manager John Dorsey and Hue Jackson skipped those workouts.

But they'll be in attendance at the Pro Days of Darnold Wednesday at USC and Allen Friday at Wyoming, which will be run by their QB trainer Jordan Palmer.

All four quarterbacks, who will also come to the Browns facility for pre-draft visits, are in the discussion for the Browns at No. 1 overall even though they've declared Tyrod Taylor their starter for 2018.

The Browns will be especially interested to see Darnold throw since he didn't do so at the NFL Scouting Combine last month. He's expected to throw despite heavy rains in the forecast and no indoor fieldhouse.

"(The Browns) asked why and I gave them a pretty good answer in my opinion,'' he told cleveland.com at the combine.
But he also said he had no regrets about that decision and that he was eager to display his skills at his Pro Day.

"(It will be) just kind of what they saw on film, that I'm accurate, I can throw on the run and I've got some zip on the ball,'' said Darnold. "So they're going to see all of it and I think they'll like what they see.''

Darnold, a strong candidate to go No. 1 to the Browns, acknowledged that they grilled him on his turnovers -- 22 interceptions and 21 fumbles including 14 lost in 22 starts at USC.

"I answered it to the best of my ability,'' he said. "Obviously turning the ball isn't something you want to do as a quarterback and ... I thought I answered it pretty well. I said 'I'm aware I turned the ball over a lot this last season and I'm doing a lot this offseason to clean it up.'''

The private workout will be a chance for the Browns to dig deep into Darnold's skill set and also put him on the board and determine his processing speed.

"We're going to always look at all of those things, as you know,'' Jackson said at the combine. "There's all kind of different variables that a guy's had to deal with, players leaving, systems, all kind of things. So we just have to sort through it all to understand it. And we will. We'll dig into that and understand why those things happened, and we'll give the player an opportunity to explain to us why they happened.''

Sam Darnold: NFL Draft 2018 video profile

As for the fumbles, Jackson said, "you've got to see where that's coming from. Is it because the guy's not protecting the ball? Maybe somebody's hitting him on the arm. Maybe it's his grip. There could be a lot of different reasons why those things are happening. But again, as you just mentioned, it's something we have to find out about.''

Darnold and Allen have both been training the past few months with Palmer, the younger brother of Carson Palmer. A former QB for the Redskins, Bengals, Jaguars, Bears, and Titans, Jordan Palmer was coached in Cincinnati by current Browns quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese and the two have remained close, meaning the Browns will have plenty of good background on Darnold and Allen.

Palmer has been working with Darnold on the turnovers and other issues, and with Allen on his footwork to improve his 56.2 completion percentage.

Allen's more stable base resulted in a sensational combine workout in which he dazzled scouts and coaches with his cannon arm.

Allen felt good about his Browns interview and his combine workout

"The ball comes off his hand with effort velocity,'' analyst David Carr said on NFL Network during the workout. "The guy can just rip it.''

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said, "This kid has a better arm than (Carson Wentz).''

"They're just asking how I'm working to fix it and (I'm) giving them the answer that I usually give to the other coaches and that's working with (QB trainer) Jordan Palmer, working on my base, my footwork, short front stride, all that jazz and hopefully I went out there today and showed the improvement."

Allen drew a big "ooh'' from inside Lucas Oil Stadium when fired a 70-yard pass at the combine

"That was crazy,'' he said. "Yeah, it was really cool. They had some fans inside the stadium this year and I'm happy that they were able to get out here and kind of see the talent that's going to be entering this NFL Draft. Just happy to be a part of it."
NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah said Allen "won the day,'' and Mike Mayock said he "takes my breath away with some of the throws he makes."

"Felt good," Allen said. "The first throw got away from me and I was thinking about that for a little bit, but not a lot of nerves. Just super anxious to get out there and start throwing the ball again. It had been a few days. I felt like I put the ball where it needed to be and I think I tested pretty well. I think an overall pretty good performance."

Allen hoped to improve even more on his footwork between the combine and his Pro Day.

"Obviously, I'm still going to be working in California, trying to improve and so when we get to Pro Day, hopefully we'll have a better showing there."

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1424816 03/20/18 08:14 PM
Legend
Legend
suddenly Mayfield is the QB with the least amount of talk

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawgs4Life #1424964 03/21/18 02:53 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
suddenly Mayfield is the QB with the least amount of talk

Is that a lack of interest or a smoke screen?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
OldColdDawg #1424989 03/21/18 06:44 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually I haven't heard squat from Josh Allen corner at all.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hammer #1425009 03/21/18 07:33 AM
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Comparing Allen to Russell - LOL. One has a brain and the other was like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz.

Combine Warriors both, that was the comparison... Nobody thought Jamarcus had problems...

I think personal traits are not well researched in the draft...

The number of misses is amazing.... specially with us, it almost resembles that the scouts don't do their job.

cfrs15 #1425281 03/21/18 04:07 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Have you guys seen this

https://www.barstoolsports.com/draft_josh_allen/

Or this video that I found way too humerous? lol

V
1st String
1st String
V
Funny video. smile

cfrs15 #1425791 03/22/18 01:39 PM
Legend
Legend

Be aware the BUZZ is coming.

The pro day is a perfect vehicle to showcase Allen.

Everyone will be gushing.

Allen will light it up. He has eye popping arm strength.

He looks the part. Big guy with athletic skills. Mind boggling that he didn't get a scholarship to big time football school.

You want to build a quarterback from a clay; he will look like Allen.

The first time I watched his tape; I was are you ffing kidding me? This guy has a sonic arm.

But the more you watch you start to think oh oh.

Derek Anderson could throw with the best of them. Weeden as well. The problem was where?

Allen I have said since November is a hard guy to evaluate. Unless you are really into his roster and know the issues that exist; you can not make a honest assessment.

Will he be forever, what the tape shows? Or, is the tape misleading?

Can he reach his potential? Or, will his potential just be a symbol of failure?

Allen is unknown and the pro day is just candy.

Love the potential. Fear the risk.

cfrs15 #1425804 03/22/18 02:20 PM
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
With Taylor set to be our QB this year Allen might be intriging to the Browns if they can sit him for a year. I think the Browns are leaning towards Darnold but Allen could sneak in ahead of him with a strong pro day.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Glw12 #1425815 03/22/18 02:35 PM
Legend
Legend
His pro day will not be much of a factor.

He will have to show strong evidence in his private workout. Both on the field and the Board. Then in the interviews.

Not just throwing the ball with no coverage.

Ken Zampese is tight with Jordan Palmer. They go way back together.

Ken will get inside takes on Allen from Palmer.

He could be in the mix but I am thinking Darnold is their guy.

bonefish #1425833 03/22/18 02:49 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Our private meetings will be big for these guys but probably more so for Allen. Wish I was the fly on the wall.

Cool thought we take Allen at 4 then auction him off!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

cfrs15 #1425861 03/22/18 03:21 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Watching Darnold's Pro Day Cemented Him as the Number 1 Pick IMO ... thumbsup

Last edited by PastorMarc; 03/22/18 03:25 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
eotab #1425871 03/22/18 03:31 PM
Legend
Legend

It has always been a wish list thing of mine to be a part of the evaluation of a quarterback class.

Starting from the beginning as a scout through the whole process. In particular the private workouts, Board work and interviews.

The interview with Jordan Palmer I thought was interesting.

I am sure Ken Zampese will grill Palmer on how Darnold and Allen handled their training sessions.

The Dorsey team has so many resources. Kind of feel foolish questioning them.

Then again I felt like Holmgren should know tell he picked Weeden. That pick in so many ways will always baffle me.

So I will continue to be my own scout and GM.

bonefish #1425880 03/22/18 03:44 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Then again I felt like Holmgren should know tell he picked Weeden. That pick in so many ways will always baffle me.

It was with a pitcher of martini's and a hand full of darts.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1425882 03/22/18 03:51 PM
Legend
Legend

On top of his age which should have been a big factor?

The first time I heard him speak. I was thinking there is no way this guy could lead a team

I don't like questioning a mans intellect but honestly Weeden just seemed dense.

Then you add his tape at OK?? I mean I never saw a throw when it looked like the man was not way wide open.

Then throw in the OK offense.

He would have been off my Board. I would have never drafted him.

bonefish #1425896 03/22/18 04:11 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
and he was 28 going on 29. What a horrible decision to draft that clown. So pissed at that pick when it was announced. I wanted Wilson that year, too. Still pisses me off thinking of it.

bonefish #1426022 03/22/18 07:38 PM
Legend
Legend
Back to Allen.
Who honestly scares the crap out of me.

Reading the PD and what Jordan Palmer had to say about Allen.

If Allen puts it all together. Damn scary good.

You put a body together like his with his speed and arm talent. Then add the right head to make reads.

Man he would be like Robocop playing football.

bonefish #1426026 03/22/18 07:41 PM
Legend
Legend
The upside is certainly there. Coach’em up and he responds, you’ve got a gem. The downside, a bigger bust than Morganna the Kissing Bandit.

#GMSTRONG
Tulsa #1426061 03/22/18 08:47 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Loved Morganna

Glw12 #1426094 03/22/18 09:54 PM
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Originally Posted By: Glw12
With Taylor set to be our QB this year Allen might be intriging to the Browns if they can sit him for a year. I think the Browns are leaning towards Darnold but Allen could sneak in ahead of him with a strong pro day.

I was actually leaving towards Allen for a while, but the more I thought about it Darnold is younger and further along in development than Allen. Allen is more physically gifted but I feel Darnold is a much better prospect overall.

cfrs15 #1426110 03/22/18 10:10 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Qbs who can't achieve at least 60% completion percentage in college are almost always doomed for failure in the NFL. There is no reason to get hoodwinked by Allen's big arm because half the time he isn't going to get the ball to his receivers and that is unacceptable.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Tulsa #1426217 03/23/18 08:55 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
The upside is certainly there. Coach’em up and he responds, you’ve got a gem. The downside, a bigger bust than Morganna the Kissing Bandit.

Now THAT'S a big bust.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
eotab #1426226 03/23/18 09:08 AM
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Originally Posted By: eotab
Our private meetings will be big for these guys but probably more so for Allen. Wish I was the fly on the wall.

Cool thought we take Allen at 4 then auction him off!

While I agree the private meetings will be a big factor in choosing a QB I don't agree with taking Allen at 4 and then auctioning him off. This would keep us from drafting an impact player at #4 and for what? More lower draft picks or future draft picks? How has that worked in the past? We need players now. Besides how would that look if Allen turned out to be the next Rothlisberger and we had him and let him go?

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Razorthorns #1426275 03/23/18 11:21 AM
Legend
Legend
The point on Allen is the talent around him was awful.

Jordan Palmer made the comparison of an 8th grader playing on a 6th graders team.

In addition he was not really coached and consistent footwork was the problem. Especially the stride which was short.

Coming from a pitching background mechanics is what governs control.

That is the thing with this guy and why I have said and Palmer reiterated he is hard to evaluate.

Allen has made big strides in a short time.

I have no doubt he will impress at his pro day.

It is understood the Browns plan to start TT.

If Allen sits and it all comes together this guy could be a monster.

That is the problem. They have to decide if he will reach his vast potential.

bonefish #1426281 03/23/18 11:36 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The thing is that arm strength is only so important. Once it's shown your arm is strong enough, arm strength becomes less and less important.

More important is accuracy and your ability to read the defense pre-snap and your ability to make your reads and deliver quickly.

That's what frustrates me when I listened to Mary Kay Cabot's Facebook Live thing she did yesterday when she said she likes Josh Allen.

There's nothing that Josh Allen's pro-day can really show us. He's shown us that he has a strong arm and is good at catch. Maybe he can show us he changed in a game of catch. But I've seen, on film, that he's not very accurate in actual football games. When defenses are coming at you, he's not accurate.

They can say mechanics is the reason or whatever. That's fine, but when the game starts, how do we know you won't go back to your same old natural habits?

This guy is way too dangerous, with the mere upside of him having a strong arm/being fast, to be our pick at 1. It's just crazy. I mean, I can see arguments for Baker Mayfield over Josh Rosen. I can even see Sam Darnold.

But my god, after those three, the talent drop off is significant.

I'm just scared we'll screw this up and draft the next Paxton Lynch. Cause that's what I see Josh Allen as. Paxton Lynch. Another guy with this powerful arm, who's athletic, and can make plays with his feet.

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/23/18 11:37 AM.

cfrs15 #1426282 03/23/18 11:37 AM
Legend
Legend
I long for the day when I open the draft forum and 8 of the top 10 threads aren't QB related...

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1426283 03/23/18 11:38 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
I long for the day when I open the draft forum and 8 of the top 10 threads aren't QB related...

Someday amigo. Someday. But not this year

cfrs15 #1426292 03/23/18 12:01 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For every pass that goes 40+ yards in the NFL, there are ~26 passes that go 1-10 yards. (2014 data, but I expect more recent numbers are similar)

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/qbs-in-focus-pass-depth

I'd be more on board with Allen if he showed more touch in the range that most NFL passes go. And, I'd have liked to see it when he had to throw over and around people, not in shorts to uncovered receivers.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
It has been proven many times over you can not just look at today. This is not about what they are right now. No young guy comes into the NFL and has it all down.

I have seen one: Andrew Luck.

All the others you have to project over a two to four year period.

If you looked at all the guys in this draft I can point out areas that need to improve.

The Browns have a starter. The guy they draft will be an apprentice.

The question is which guy will develop into what they want?

You can not write off a kid coming into the NFL because he was not perfect in college.

None of us know what Allen will become.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Josh Allen

Link Copied to Clipboard