Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I've always liked Casserly. Thought we were going to get him as GM at one point.

I will have to read what he said and why he thinks Darnold is #1 in his mind. I think I've seen him say that before and I've seen several say Darnold is the best.

I don't think there is only one quarterback in this draft and have said guys like Darnold and Rosen very well could pan out. I obviously see Mayfield as a can't miss, there are question marks with all of them.

I would agree with on Barkley. And even with the 1st and 4th pick, I have no idea why we would take Barkley at 1.

If I don't have a QB or RB and it's between Matt Ryan and Adrian Peterson as pointed out to me earlier... I'm taking Matt Ryan without any hesitation.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish
Barkley he likes but believes there are other runners. "Barkley is now the third generalational back in the last three years behind Gurley and Fornette."
Kind of diminishes the phrase "generational back" if they are coming out every year for 3 straight years. I think the phrase has become almost standard hype. This is not to say I don't want Barkley, or that I think the hype is unwarranted, I just cringe when I hear it used about somebody in every draft.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
If I don't have a QB or RB and it's between Matt Ryan and Adrian Peterson as pointed out to me earlier... I'm taking Matt Ryan without any hesitation.

Thank you. I was discussing this with the Physical Therapist at the Walk-In Clinic today (he's a Bills fan seeing me wear my Browns shirt). So he's asking me if now that we got Tyrod would we draft Saquon at 1.

Considering that I've been getting heart burn from this board lately (and can't get off the thing), I just said "No Way"

Like I've said. If you can't decide which, out of three QBs is the best, then you need to sit down and think some more. Pick the QB that you want. That's who you get. Pick your guy. After that, we'll see how things look at number 4. Maybe that stud RB will be there too.

I want to be able to pick whichever guy we want most. This is what they're being paid to do, make a freakin decision

A QB is key. We have the chance to stop the non-stop changing of the guard. To end things on QB number 30. Yet folks want to draft a RB first. It's absolutely insane. Franchise QBs are the key to consistency. It's how you don't end up like the Bills, making the playoffs once in like 20 years. And it's how you don't end up like the Browns, with two winning seasons since coming back in like 98 or 99 or whatever

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/12/18 04:37 PM.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen on a podcast:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=22733993

Listen to it. They seem to know something about who will be the #1 pick (it's not going to be a running back).

The Browns are the first team Schefter and Mort talk about in this podcast. They are both convinced we are taking a QB first.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Yep. Barkley was never a real option at #1. Not when a team has a chance to draft the #1 QB of their choosing.

Legend
Legend

Key quote from podcast: Haslam find a quarterback.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen on a podcast:

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=22733993

Listen to it. They seem to know something about who will be the #1 pick (it's not going to be a running back).

The Browns are the first team Schefter and Mort talk about in this podcast. They are both convinced we are taking a QB first.

Nate Ulrich, who I think is the Browns beat writer, said the same thing.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous
Originally Posted By: edromeo
If the scouting dept does all their grades and evals and the QBs come out as equal....what do you tell them?

Hey guys; I want you guys to come up with 1 QB because you want to take a QB with the #1 pick no matter what

Making a tough decision isn't about artificially ginning up a grade IF that isnt what their grades indicate.

That's what making tough decisions is about. If our scouting department has the top three quarterbacks graded the same, then they either need to continue grading, or we need to have a big discussion and come up to a consensus.

Because, that's what you're saying. Three quarterbacks, all graded the same. That's the easy way out. Discuss, come up with who you think is the best, pick that guy.

I just can't believe folks on here after losing as much as we have. Two winning seasons since returning to the league. Never above 10-6. And people on here think it is okay to risk getting their third choice of QB. Because that's what can happen.

The Giants easily could select a QB or trade down. The Colts easily could select a QB or trade down.

There's no position in the NFL more important. Not even close. Would a Steelers, Chargers, or Giants fan trade any of their starting QBs in their prime for Adrian Peterson or Todd Gurley? I think not. Would a Falcons fan trade Matt Ryan in his prime for Ezekiel Elliot. I seriously doubt it.

Is there any running back worth Jared Goff or Carson Wentz? Nope. There isn't.

The Rams would ship out Gurley in a heartbeat if the question is him or Goff.

Barkley looks good. Looks great. But we haven't solved our quarterback problem yet, and there's some very good options. Evaluate them, decide which one is the best, and pick him. That's what the FO gets paid to do. Make the correct decision, no matter how difficult it may be

Lol. Don't blow a Vessel, man.

I understand. It's infuriating.

Mr. Ed. Do you honestly believe that NFL Front Office Personnel are going to be so indecisive that they can't even decide what ONE QB they like above the rest?

Darnold happens to be the one virtually EVERY KNOWN decent person who lives NFL football likes.

He also happens to be the one we hear the LEAST about from Inside CLEVELAND. Hmmmmm.

There IS NO take the Best left at 4.

C
Legend
Legend
C

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Any team that drafts a RB at #1 are fools. I don't care how good they say he is, it is a dumb move all the way around.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

What if it is between Mark Sanchez and Barry Sanders?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

1) These guys don't look anything like Mark Sanchez. So if you want to make it out to be that way, you might as well say Barkley could be Trent Richardson.

2) Mark Sanchez went a lot further in the playoffs than Barry Sanders tongue

And Mark Sanchez went number 5, not number 1. Matthew Stafford went number 1. And I don't think the Lions (on the same salary as any RB) would be willing to trade Stafford for any RB

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like Barkley at 4.

A RB has about 10 years. A QB has 15 or more.

It’s not a difficult decision.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
I like Barkley at 4.

A RB has about 10 years. A QB has 15 or more.

It’s not a difficult decision.

But.....

Our QB usually has about a year, and our RB usually has 2 years.

Sad yet true lol, But I agree with the longevity of the QB surpasses that of a RB window.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

1) These guys don't look anything like Mark Sanchez. So if you want to make it out to be that way, you might as well say Barkley could be Trent Richardson.

2) Mark Sanchez went a lot further in the playoffs than Barry Sanders tongue

And Mark Sanchez went number 5, not number 1. Matthew Stafford went number 1. And I don't think the Lions (on the same salary as any RB) would be willing to trade Stafford for any RB

Mark Sanchez's college stats his 3rd year (True Jr., 27 Games played total) actually look better than Sam Darnold's numbers his 3rd year (RedShirt Soph. 27 Games played total)
Sanchez College Stats
Darnold College Stats

Sanchez tested much better in the jumps at the combine and near identical in the rest. There's an inch difference (advantage Darnold) and 6 pounds (advantage Sanchez).
Sanchez Combine Profile
Darnold Combine Numbers

There are some similarities. Sanchez's strengths read: "Ascending talent whose intangibles for the position are just as impressive as his physical tools." Sounds strikingly similar to Darnold. Both have had ball security issues.

Rosen and Jackson are my QBs depending on the style of offense Dorsey sees for us. I'll debate them vs. Barkley no problem.

Every time I see Darnold or Allen hyped as our pick I just don't see it. I'd rather have Barkley than either of them.

If I knew Jackson would be there at 22, trading with the Bills would look mighty enticing (4 for 12 and 22) and I'd be sprinting to the podium with Barkley's name on the card for 1. Unfortunately, I'm not sure Jackson lasts to 22.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I don't think Jackson makes it past Zona; if he even makes it that far.

McCoy's a creative OC and uses the same verbiage/offense as Lamar(E&P).

Oh, and people try to frame the QB at 1 argument a lot of different ways but how big of a gap is there between picks 1 and 4? And how often is the 1st QB taken the best QB in the draft?

Last edited by edromeo; 03/12/18 08:31 PM.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I honestly think Barkley will be there at 4. Especially if NY goes QB. If the first 2 picks are QB someone will give up a ridiculous amount to trade with the Colts to make sure they get one of the top 4 QB. I’m expecting the Bills to make that move.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see QB go 1 2 3 in this draft.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I would be shocked if QBs go 1-2-3 in the draft.

I think it plays out like this...Browns take a QB @ 1

Giants, Colts and Browns will field calls for picks 2,3 and 4.

I think the Giants take Quan if they can't find a dance partner
I think the Colts take Chubb if they can't

1st String
1st String
Most excitement I've seen on this board in a long time. Awesome to see no matter who we pick.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: edromeo
I would be shocked if QBs go 1-2-3 in the draft.

I think it plays out like this...Browns take a QB @ 1

Giants, Colts and Browns will field calls for picks 2,3 and 4.

I think the Giants take Quan if they can't find a dance partner
I think the Colts take Chubb if they can't

In which case, QB's may indeed go 1-2-3, and perhaps at 4...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
There is only one exception and that is if there is no worthy quarterback prospects which is not the case this year.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

Let me ask you guys this, because i said this last year to a friend, and I am feel like it holds water.

We have a passing league, we all know that. However the NFL is a copycat league, we all know that as well. And human nature has a way of coming back around to what it knows instinctively and a lot of this has to do with the generational back comment.

College football is not setup for QBs to succeed. I think we all see that with the lack of backups in the NFL, and outside of brady, rogers, brees etc. there seems to be a lack of great QBs in the league. Qbs are not as ready to come out and run pro style offenses, so the ones that are successfull all have one thing in common - They have a great running game and great defense. That allows the ones coming out to be managers, and develop. I believe you are going to start seeing GMs realize this and start looking at the RB position again in much better light. Look recently. Everyone in the national media was all over Dak's jock, but as soon as Zeke went down, he stunk and the Cowboys stunk. Fournette single handily turned the Jags around it seems. Gurley has turned LA into a meaningful football team. Would Goff be as successful last year without him?

I think the NFL is going to start looking at this again. NOW, i am not saying that QB is STILL not the most important piece in the game, they are. I am saying that the RB position is much more valuable than others are making it out to be, and a RB with great talent will have just as much effect on a team than a good QB. Now if its a great QB vs great RB, yes take the QB. But a good QB vs a great RB, i think you go great RB.

Last edited by willitevachange; 03/12/18 11:05 PM.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Wr's and Rb's will always be downplayed in importance IMHO...

Does not matter that this are the guys scoring...

E
Legend
Legend
E
The reason for that is because they simply are not rare commodities. There are many to be gotten anywhere in the draft including UDFA.

Again can't go by our experience as we have had poor personnel decisions although we have invested via the draft in especially WR it has not come out well. Example our first overall pick of 2016 was Coleman...probably the best prospect in a very poor draft class of WR. So we get a WR that has a reputation of inconsistent HANDS...Hands are the most important factor of a WR.

Anyways yes RBs and WRs are not PARITY Breakers as there are many year after year coming into the NFL.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Barkley AND. . . . then. Might just be the shock we need if we run hard and call the run more.

Crowell can be replaced IMO. Duke and . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I would love to have Barclay but I doubt we draft him. I think Dorsey has his sights set on a QB at 1 and Chubb at 4. My guess is he will take a corner and a rb in the 2nd round. This is just what I think after seeing what we have done in trades and FA so far. We may trade back into the 1st for the right corner.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Glw12
I would love to have Barclay but I doubt we draft him. I think Dorsey has his sights set on a QB at 1 and Chubb at 4. My guess is he will take a corner and a rb in the 2nd round. This is just what I think after seeing what we have done in trades and FA so far. We may trade back into the 1st for the right corner.

Yeah, I'm thinking that might be the plan too. As much as a QB and Minkah at #4 makes sense, I think Dorsey might value the pass rush more, and I really wouldn't blame him. Waiting till the 2nd for a RB makes sense too. The drop-off from Barkley to guys you can get in the 2nd isn't much at all. We could easily get 3 impact guys that way, rather than just 2.

E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

Barkley at 1
QB at 4

I know this is the unpopular opinion that the espn talking heads have.

But with letting Crow fly away. ( wink ) Seems they will go for cream of the crop.

Legend
Legend
1) CLE Darnold
2) NYG Nelson
3) BUF (trade) Allen
4) CLE Barkley
5) DEN Fitzpatrick

Your opinion? Go.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
1) CLE Darnold
2) NYG Nelson
3) BUF (trade) Allen
4) CLE Barkley
5) DEN Fitzpatrick

Your opinion? Go.

I don't know which quarterbacks are going, but I don't think Nelson is going 2. The Giants will select a Quarterback or Bradley Chubb or they'll trade down to a team looking for a QB (IE Denver, New York Jets, Arizona).

I also bet Denver very well could draft a QB. They might have signed Case Keenum, but they won't forget Keenum before Minnesota. It's like the Nick Foles thing. You can't just focus on the good and forget about the bad. Keenum was never impressive until this year.

Don't forget his time with the Rams and the Texans

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/13/18 09:47 PM.

Legend
Legend
1) CLE Darnold
2) NYG Nelson
3) BUF (trade) Allen
4) CLE Barkley
5) DEN Fitzpatrick

Your opinion? Go.

I don't know which quarterbacks are going, but I don't think Nelson is going 2. The Giants will select a Quarterback or Bradley Chubb or they'll trade down to a team looking for a QB (IE Denver, New York Jets, Arizona)

I copied and pasted this and did it wrong (I’m on my phone) this is DJ’s mock from NFL.com

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
1) CLE Darnold
2) NYG Nelson
3) BUF (trade) Allen
4) CLE Barkley
5) DEN Fitzpatrick

Your opinion? Go.

I don't know which quarterbacks are going, but I don't think Nelson is going 2. The Giants will select a Quarterback or Bradley Chubb or they'll trade down to a team looking for a QB (IE Denver, New York Jets, Arizona)

I copied and pasted this and did it wrong (I’m on my phone) this is DJ’s mock from NFL.com

If I'm not mistaken he had this mock for several days now before the free agency stuff.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Denver going QB.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I did think we would take a QB at 1 and trade down 4 (yuck).
But now with Crow gone, I can see Barkley at 1 and a QB at 4.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

We've known Crowell was going to be gone since before the season ended, how does him signing with a different team make any difference?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

We've known Crowell was going to be gone since before the season ended, how does him signing with a different team make any difference?

*I* didn't know.
So now I do.
So guessing we are picking Barkley.

J
JAG Offline
Rookie
Rookie
J
Pretty pretty please just take a QB at #1....as long as it's not Josh Allen. At #4 Minkah or Chubb is fine, I'd even trade down a little as long as we got one of those two, Ward, R. Smith or D. James.

At 33 or 35 many good backs will be there...Guice, Michel, Chubb, Jones, Penny or K. Johnson are all options. Im sure I'm forgetting someone too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Here's a couple to put on the pro side.

A great running game helps a defense a great deal and it wears down the opponent's defense. When you can run the ball at will it really demoralizes the other teams D.

This team needs to win NOW. A quarterback sitting on the bench helps us win games now how exactly? We need playmakers and Barkley seems to suit that bill splendidly.

A great running game is a quarterback's best friend too. Getting to third and short really helps a QB. If the rookie quarterback gets in there at some point this season, having Barkley back there would be a really nice safety blanket.

This should all be a moot point. IF there is a quarterback they are really sold on, trade up from #4 to #2 and take your QB and Barkley.

-------------------------------

Someone earlier was talking about Richardson. There was nothing wrong with his talent. He simply had a two cent head. He couldn't handle being a professional. He was week minded.Barkley has none of that going on. He is a respectful and well spoken young man. Zero off the field problems and from all accounts has a terrific attitude and work ethic. He really seems to love the game and competing. That doesn't always end in a great career but it's a solid start. Injury, happenstance... one never knows how a career in the NFL will go. But he seems to be the best player in the draft. Let's hit a home run in this draft and go get both. If there is no QB that our brain trust believes will be a great pro, take Barkley at #1 and Fitz at #4. I could live with that. Now that Crowell is gone, RB went from being a huge need to being a necessity. If not in the first then with the first pick of the second round should be best RB available and if we passed on Barkley he better be a really good one! smile

Go Browns!

Last edited by Spiritbro77; 03/14/18 04:40 AM.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Any team that drafts a RB at #1 are fools. I don't care how good they say he is, it is a dumb move all the way around.

Really? Would you draft Jim Brown #1? Would you draft Emmit Smith #1? How about Eric Dickerson? Now, I'm not saying Barkley is anywhere near one of those NFL legends. But saying the concept of EVER taking a RB at #1 is outrageous is a bit myopic. Let's not forget that Jacksonville made the playoffs and won a playoff game with Blake Bortles at QB. How did they do that? They played great D and they had Fournette. Not only could they run the ball, the D had to play the run and that opened up the play action pass. Todd Gurley was in the discussion as league MVP last year. The running back position is making a serious comeback!

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Brown and Smith were different eras. And no, I wouldn't draft them first today. Jacksonville could have made the playoffs with 10 other running backs not named Fournette.

And j/c...

Just because we didn't resign Crowell doesn't mean we will draft Barkley. There are other running backs in the draft than just him. I have it at almost 100% we will be drafting a QB #1. I also think we'd trade the pick before we would draft Barkley.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft The case for Saquon Barkley part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard