Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
edromeo #1418446 03/10/18 05:38 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I’m beginning to wonder if the media has the QBs ranked a little higher then the GMs and scouts, like has happened in years past.

dean_fairchild #1418453 03/10/18 05:43 PM
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
None of these QBs seems like 'thee #1 overall' but they are QBs and QBs always get pushed up.

edromeo #1418472 03/10/18 06:07 PM
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: edromeo
None of these QBs seems like 'thee #1 overall' but they are QBs and QBs always get pushed up.

Very true. I think it's more a case that we have a fine crop of QBs and they all just have enough question marks to keep them from being that dominant QB. I think Rosen and Mason are by far the most ready to start right away. Rosen is your perfect WCO guy and Mason is your perfect Vertical passing guy at least from an accuracy stand point.

Darnold and Mayfield are the next tier with Mayfield the WCO and Darnold the Vertical although he could do both most likely.

Lamar and Allen are the the third tier as guys with potential to be amazing QBs but who need serious work on their game to succeed at the next level. I think Lamar has a high chance to succeed though. Allen I find worrisome because he has accuracy issues under pressure and I am not sure you can fix that.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
edromeo #1418475 03/10/18 06:12 PM
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Yes, but there were a couple drafts there were the media had QBs going high and it just didn’t happen. They fell. Thought the GMs had those QBs ranked further down then the media did. But I’ve also seen were QBs have been taken, imo to high, so it’s happened both ways.

Just this year I could see some QBs falling more then the media has them going. Just a hunch.

Last edited by dean_fairchild; 03/10/18 06:13 PM.
dean_fairchild #1418518 03/10/18 08:02 PM
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
I don't disagree with you.

I guess it depends on where you/people expect the QBs to get drafted. I never really put much thought nor really cared where the QBs get drafted you know...just like the evaluation process.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I saw a report earlier today that said the Browns Dorsey and Hue were skipping the OU proday. Why would they do that? Does this mean they aren’t interested in Baker? Seems odd to not send anyone.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's not uncommon. I believe it was an OU pro day, not just Mayfield which might say more about Mayfield's teammates than Mayfield.

I still would expect us to have Mayfield over for dinner one day before the draft.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ttimothygman
I saw a report earlier today that said the Browns Dorsey and Hue were skipping the OU proday. Why would they do that? Does this mean they aren’t interested in Baker? Seems odd to not send anyone.

Free Agency.

It's a head scratcher why OU is holding their pro day today.

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Free Agency.

Haha, good point.

Supposedly they're going to bring Mayfield in for a private workout, so they sent someone other than Dorsey/Hue for the pro-day.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Free Agency.

Haha, good point.

Supposedly they're going to bring Mayfield in for a private workout, so they sent someone other than Dorsey/Hue for the pro-day.
could also be a smoke-screen if they ARE interested in Mayfield.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I don't know that I buy the smokescreen thing because we have the #1 pick. And if we don't draft a QB @1 then that means we'd be either drafting Allen or Mayfield @4. Therefore in such a scenario, I think teams who want either would be trading up to #2 or #3 to draft one of them.... so, in other words, just take Mayfield 1.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's pretty well documented that I'm a Rosen fan LOL

however, based on Mayfield's comments... we need to draft him at 1.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/...rback-nfl-draft

"I'd rather spend time with my family," he said. "People helped me get there. It was never a one-man show. So I'll have friends and family and coaches, and I'll get to enjoy it with them."

Even though he stands to be the first Sooner taken in the first round since 2013, Mayfield reiterated that he won't be attending the NFL draft at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on April 26. Instead, Mayfield is planning to watch the draft from his hometown in Austin, Texas.

the last person to do that and was a browns player was Joe Thomas smile

Outside of that, I don't really know what direction we are going to go.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

E
Legend
Legend
E
I just love how he puts the ball in the hands of the WRs so that they don't break stride. Something that Kizer just could not do. It will be refreshing.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

"I'd rather spend time with my family," he said. "People helped me get there. It was never a one-man show. So I'll have friends and family and coaches, and I'll get to enjoy it with them."

Even though he stands to be the first Sooner taken in the first round since 2013, Mayfield reiterated that he won't be attending the NFL draft at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on April 26. Instead, Mayfield is planning to watch the draft from his hometown in Austin, Texas.

Myles had a draft party in his hometown last year IIRC.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

Myles had a draft party in his hometown last year IIRC.

great memory!!

https://theundefeated.com/features/myles-garrett-wont-be-at-the-nfl-draft/

So,,, this makes it even more of a reason

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Question, for the thread:

What do you view as Baker's weaknesses?

1st String
1st String

My knock on Mayfield is straight up his height. I like his leadership and cocky attitude. I hate that he beat Ohio State, but that's a good thing for him. I don't see other flaws besides his height. He's fun to watch

D
Legend
Legend
D

Off field antics and attitude. On field too, one game he was grabbing his crotch in front of the team to see. He ripped that dude in the head in warmups. I mean, why?

I'm not worried about his height, but I don't want anything close to another JF come through here. We can't afford to take a shot on another immature joke.

Legend
Legend
his height.

and from the top 5, he has the biggest concern on if his game actually translates to the nfl.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I respect that he went from walk-on, twice, to Heisman winner. He obviously has the drive. His height is concern but not a deal breaker. The same with the college scheme vs. NFL requirements thing. What the deal-breaker for me is his apparent lack of impulse control. His taunts of opposing players and fans, the throw, the running from police, all tell me he acts on his impulses without thinking. He's behaving himself now because his future is on the line, but once he settles into his new job, that side will return.

He may end up being a very good NFL QB. Let it be with someone else, I don't want him to be the face of the Browns.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
From what I've read and heard lately, the biggest negatives that stand out are that he isn't fast enough and he needs his targets to be wide open to be successful. That in the pros he isn't going to be throwing people open or throwing to where the target WILL BE.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

My one concern would be that he holds the ball a tad too long. This I would attribute to the offense he plays in and I think he knows his guys will be open so he just waits until they are free.

Mayfield is a freak athlete and I believe that's something he will fix.

I also heard/read where he is so over-the-top when it comes to proving people wrong that it could become a distraction. I'm not sure if that'll be the case.

Height is a small concern, but not relevant. You can't fix the height issue. The other issues can be rectified.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
I don't really have a major flaw for Baker.

Other then his height/size the main areas where he rates below the other prospects are related to his offense. When it comes to rhythm and timing in a 3-5-7 step drop back passing game he faces a transition. Same with NFL passing concepts compared to spread. Now, I'm not at all saying that facing the transition from spread to pro-style won't work. Recently we've watched many spread QBs make the transition. But, from a comparison/ranking stand point he doesn't have the experience some of the other prospects have.

Personally I don't think his height will be factor going into the NFL. But, from an evaluation/ranking standpoint comparing his height/size to the other prospects (i'm going to apologize in advance because i'm going rank/compare all the traits on a 1-5 scale)

Height/Size:
Allen=5
Darnold=4
Jackson=3
Mayfield=2
Rosen=3

Dropback/Footwork:
Allen=4
Darnold=4
Jackson=3
Mayfield=3
Rosen=5

Pro-readiness/Concepts:
Allen=4
Darnold=3
Jackson=4
Mayfield=2
Rosen=5

Last edited by edromeo; 03/19/18 04:50 PM. Reason: added pro-readiness
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How is Darnold ranked higher is size and height than Rosen?

Rosen is taller, heavier and has bigger hands.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: BpG
How is Darnold ranked higher is size and height than Rosen?

Rosen is taller, heavier and has bigger hands.
I rate Darnold higher in terms of size because his frame seems more sturdy as his injury free college careers attests.

How do you rank them?

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm just asking, makes sense.

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E
I'm curious about others thoughts/ranking on these subjects.

Would be interested to read yours.

O
Legend
Legend
O

I would say my worries are that his game won't translate to the NFL, and his height (in that order).

His attitude/personality issues are slightly concerning. The ripping the ball at an opponent's head is not something you can get away with as a pro. Otherwise, his behavior is a double-edged sword. The cockiness and "fight" in him is something I think this team could use more of (as I've mentioned before in Corey Coleman and TPryor discussions). I also find it super obnoxious, and I think many guys in the locker room would as well.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

I would say my worries are that his game won't translate to the NFL, and his height (in that order).
Why do you worry that his game won't translate?

O
Legend
Legend
O

Gimmicky system, all day to throw, wide open receivers.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
His impulse to run is relevant to how he would act under the influence...which I would think would be NEVER on the field. The kid takes football seriously not like Manziel.

As for his actions against opponents I watched a lot of his games and opponents actually were worse against him. Not shaking his hand at the coin flip. On the field taking cheap shots to knock him out of the game and personally hurt him. He would get up off the ground, scowl not cry to Officials. Simply go on with the game and crush the opponent with a successful drive ending in a TD and then react with the junk grabbing or whatever. Meanwhile the media would do nothing about the cheap shots leading up to that scenario. Just show the junk grabbing over n over.

I would love to have Mayfield on our team when the Cheap shots which we get all the time on our QBs cause they rarely are protected by the Refs...for him to get up with the fire he has and get the entire team fired up and march down the field and get that TD...and if he gets a little smack (not enough for a flag) so be it. I would love that fire here. I'm sure he will grow up and leave the junk alone!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
As for his actions against opponents I watched a lot of his games and opponents actually were worse against him.
I have a simple question, which is more likely, that everyone in the conference had it out for him for no good reason or that his attitudes and behaviors over the previous years toward opponents put a target on him?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You are trying to create something that isn't there.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
You are trying to create something that isn't there.

No he's not.

Forever I've thought that Mayfield WILL have a target on his head. And it comes from that cocky ass attitude.

And WTH is this new thing he's come up with? A personal blog or something?

I don't like his Smurf height.

Don't like that Attitude. Reminds me of a punk teenager.

Don't like Oklahoma Offense.

Don't like how SLOW he is.

HATE Heisman winning QB'S. They virtually NEVER pan out.

Don't like this kid AT ALL.

However, if we're DUMB enough to take him over Darnold or Rosen I guess I'll just have to deal with it.

He's got New York City written all over him.

So does Rosen.

I see this going

Darnold to Cleveland
Rosen to NY
Mayfield to NY
Allen to Denver

E
edromeo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
E

Gimmicky system, all day to throw, wide open receivers.
I think we are saying the same thing just voicing it differently. I wouldn't describe the OU's spread as a gimmicky offense but agree that Mayfield, like all spread or non-prostyle offenses, face a bigger transition to an NFL offense.

But we've recently watched spread QBs make the transition.

E
Legend
Legend
E
How bout you take Mayfield out and you got a win...that team could have lost all their games without Mayfield their D couldn't stop a kid crossing the street! So guess what...Game plan, take Mayfield OUT! It was obvious!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Each his own I guess. I don't see him as having some impulsive disorder. I think his attitude is exactly what this franchise needs. We need someone who is going to deliver. Mayfield is that. I'm not sure where this SLOW talk comes from. He's not slow. He's actually quite nimble in the pocket.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Allen to Denver would be scary ..

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, Mayfield is the OPPOSITE of one/if not our all time best, Joe Thomas, note at his going away speech, stated he came in humble but hungry, personal drive- class act....totally. We don't know Mayfield, but thru his ACTIONS is he class act- my answer is NO. His being publicly drunk, I'm sure it only happened ONCE, just like Josh.....Please, pass on this jerk....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Film Breakdown: Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard