Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
For me it's contact after the ball leaves the hand in basketball. It clearly does not nor cannot affect the shot and has no business being a foul.

A close second is jumping into a defender to initiate contact. I mean, WTF?

What are yours?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Delay of game. Means you don't have it together.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hitting too hard. Like when a defensive back tries to separate a receiver from the ball. Is he supposed to let him catch it?

Second is taunting. These are grown men, right?

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
The offensive and defensive 3 second rule in basketball.

Legend
Legend
Balks in baseball... so dumb 98% of the world don't even understand how they work lol.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Fouling a 3-point shooter with a 4-point lead in the last few seconds of the game.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
For me it's contact after the ball leaves the hand in basketball. It clearly does not nor cannot affect the shot and has no business being a foul.

I love the people that argue that it affects their "follow through"... and just plug their ears when you try to explain the obvious lmao.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
This could mean two things:

The dumbest foul rule or the dumbest foul committed.

I have to agree with that “fouling a 3-point shooter in a 4-point game” (with less than 5 seconds left in the game) is right up there.

Similarly, any defensive penalty by a team winning by one score or less on the last play of the game in the NFL.

Dumbest rule?

Too many men on the field.

On any given play teams should be allowed as many men on the field as they want.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
Balks in baseball... so dumb 98% of the world don't even understand how they work lol.

That's the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this thread. The excessive celebration in the NFL as it is currently enforced is next on my list.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Roughing the passer ...
.... signed ......
.. Joe ( Turkey ) Jones

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Quote:
What are yours?

Originally Posted By: CalDawg

... jumping into a defender to initiate contact. I mean, WTF?

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
This could mean two things:

The dumbest foul rule or the dumbest foul committed.

I have to agree with that “fouling a 3-point shooter in a 4-point game” (with less than 5 seconds left in the game) is right up there.

Similarly, any defensive penalty by a team winning by one score or less on the last play of the game in the NFL.

Dumbest rule?

Too many men on the field.

On any given play teams should be allowed as many men on the field as they want.

I was going for the dumbest rule but dumb acts are welcome too. thumbsup

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I hate jump shooters kicking their legs out to draw a foul. The defender has a right to their space. A shooter kicking their legs out violates the defenders space not the defender violating the shooters space to come down.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
not a fan of the catch rules now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I cant decide if I am a fan or not because nobody seems to even know what they are

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: kingodawg
I cant decide if I am a fan or not because nobody seems to even know what they are
exactly haha

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: kingodawg
exactly haha

When you think about it Football has quite a few dumb rules now.

The catch rule, Where you can hit QB's, the tuck rule, how pass interference gets called, and the coaches challenge. College rule much better.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
Every version of a catch rule is going to be difficult to get on paper and apply to each scenario in a game. I can think back to the Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Jesse James and other players where it might be easy to say, "that's not a catch by my eyes" or reverse, but with today's replay closeups and angles, you can see the ball move so much more accurately.

And yes, I think if a WR is going to the ground soon after the catch, the WR should be able to "maintain control throughout the process". That's not always easy to interpret with a football move, the sideline, a dive, a hand moving, the ball moving an inch, a defender hitting the ball, etc. It's so much easier to see if a fumble happened or not, although that's not always 100%.

I prefer the no non-sense catch rule we have now. I don't want refs and replay officials just using the "eye test".

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
If it wasn't for the balk rule in baseball there would never be a stolen base: no Ty Cobb, no Maury Wills, no Rickey Henderson, et al. The balk rule was instated to preserve the balance between a base runner's ability to steal a base and the defense's ability to stop him. A balk, in effect, is a pitcher faking his pitch delivery to home plate in an attempt to stop a runner from stealing a base - at least that is the presumption. Its a good and necessary rule, unless you're a fan of no lead off, station-to-station baseball.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The dumbest rule is simple. What is a catch and what isn't a catch in the NFL.

The dumbest rules infraction? Hmmmmm..I might change this later, but off the top of my head, jumping offsides on 4th and less than 5 in football.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
After watching alot of college basketball this weekend, the constant palming of the ball kills me. It is never called and it could be constantly. When I was growing up we were taught the hand always stays on top of the ball.

Not a rule or foul, but there too many commercials in college basketball. I know they gotta get there money but 5+ commercial breaks in the final minute is ludicrous.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Basketball drives me crazy. I hate that a team that’s behind near the end of a game can use fouling as a good thing. It makes no sense. Fouls should always be something to avoid. Instead the rules are set up that you can hack a guy going in for an easy 2 point layup, now making him have to take two shots to get the same 2 points he should have gotten easily before being hacked. Sorry but this to me is insane. If you have a guy going for 2 points that guy should get 3 free throws. If it’s a foul on a 3 pointer the shooter should get 4 freethrows. Now the foul committed is actually a penalty to the team that committed it. Instead fouling is encouraged and is actually a way to get back into a game in the final minutes. How is this logical? In no other sport that I’m aware of does purposely, repeatedly, drawing a penalty equate to a good thing. Nor should it.

Hey the Browns are down by 7 with 3 minutes left. Heck we’re only three roughing the passser and two false starts away from a win!! A few more chop blocks and a holding might get us that W!! We could argue every week about how the coach managed his penalties at the end of the game. “If I were the coach I’d have jumped offsides then called for three illegal procedures. That would have secured the victory. But nooooo. Coach had to go for a too many men on the line of scrimmage and three holding calls instead. No wonder we lost!! Fire the coach!!”

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 03/18/18 11:15 AM.

[Linked Image]
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
offsides in soccer.

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Taking your helmet off on the field of play.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule
offsides in soccer.

What?

That rule may be difficult to judge, but it is a good rule.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Pass Interference is often a crapshoot call. Two guys going for the ball. Sure, if it is obvious the defender holds, pulls, pushes etc. But, if they are both going for it...let it play out. It is also the one penalty that refs can use to instantly change a game as we now see teams who are behind, just hurl the ball down the sidelines knowing that there is 70+% chance of getting the PI call (Brady is the master of this and he gets the call 90% of the time).

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Basketball drives me crazy. I hate that a team that’s behind near the end of a game can use fouling as a good thing. It makes no sense. Fouls should always be something to avoid. Instead the rules are set up that you can hack a guy going in for an easy 2 point layup, now making him have to take two shots to get the same 2 points he should have gotten easily before being hacked. Sorry but this to me is insane. If you have a guy going for 2 points that guy should get 3 free throws. If it’s a foul on a 3 pointer the shooter should get 4 freethrows. Now the foul committed is actually a penalty to the team that committed it. Instead fouling is encouraged and is actually a way to get back into a game in the final minutes. How is this logical? In no other sport that I’m aware of does purposely, repeatedly, drawing a penalty equate to a good thing. Nor should it.

Hey the Browns are down by 7 with 3 minutes left. Heck we’re only three roughing the passser and two false starts away from a win!! A few more chop blocks and a holding might get us that W!! We could argue every week about how the coach managed his penalties at the end of the game. “If I were the coach I’d have jumped offsides then called for three illegal procedures. That would have secured the victory. But nooooo. Coach had to go for a too many men on the line of scrimmage and three holding calls instead. No wonder we lost!! Fire the coach!!”

Also in basketball the possession arrow. Throw the ball up like they use to.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I think the arrow was an attempt to save time. I think it does save time.

Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
offsides in soccer.

What?

If a team wants to cherry pick so be it. They're at a disadvantage on the other side of the field, or the other team can choose to cover.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just to add one.. I'd say the backcourt violation in basketball.

In pre-shot clock days when UNC mastered the 4 corners, I could understand it so you didn't have to defend the whole 98 feet while they tried to dribble out the final 10 minutes.. but with a shot clock, the backcourt violation makes almost no sense except to create a turnover out of an errant pass that never really goes out of bounds.

yebat' Putin
V
Legend
Legend
V
Not to be disagreeable, but that rule isn't dumb. I love that rule. We used to run half court traps where we would try to force a pass to the sideline just past halfcourt and then we would double them hard.

I know all the BB guys on the board know what I'm talking about. I love strategy.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Last year Lexi Thompson lost an LPGA Major because a fan at home saw her on TV mark her ball incorrectly the day before. Somehow that fan got in touch with LPGA officials and they docked Lexi 2 strokes for an incorrect ball mark and since it happened a day earlier she was docked 2 strokes for handing in an incorrect scorecard. She had a 4 stroke lead when she was told and lost in a playoff.

Got to be the dumbest rule in sports to allow a fan at home call a penalty a day later actually apply that penalty and more.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I was going to bring that up. Good post, my man!!!

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
Last year Lexi Thompson lost an LPGA Major because a fan at home saw her on TV mark her ball incorrectly the day before. Somehow that fan got in touch with LPGA officials and they docked Lexi 2 strokes for an incorrect ball mark and since it happened a day earlier she was docked 2 strokes for handing in an incorrect scorecard. She had a 4 stroke lead when she was told and lost in a playoff.

Got to be the dumbest rule in sports to allow a fan at home call a penalty a day later actually apply that penalty and more.

I believe they bagged that rule.

Link

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
The dumbest rule is no pulling of beards in the Lingerie Football League!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
2nd String
2nd String
P
I would get into debate with balk call when umping when left hander on mound. When on mound the pitcher must his throwing arm leg on the pitcher's plate,rubber,while addressing the batter prior to lifting front leg to pitch ball to batter. In order to attempt pick off the pitcher must move rear foot from contact in front of rubber move it behind rubber then turn and throw to first base for right hander whereas a left hander although must move rear foot off rubber to rear they pick front leg while addressing batter than throw to first without first moving rear foot behind rubber. Rule states once addressing batter pitcher lifts front leg while throw arm foot is in contact in front of rubber he must throw ball to catcher otherwise he is using deception to capture the runner at first base.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
offsides in soccer.

What?

Good, and necessary. Cherrypicking would probably happen all the time.

Not so much a dumb penalty, but making goaltender interference reviewable in hockey has become a complete disaster. It's wouldn't be nearly as bad as if the NFL started reviewing pass interference, but it's in the same realm. I think the referees did really good for years with that call being a live call.

I really hate in the NFL when DB's don't turn around. Don't get me wrong, I cannot imagine how impossible it is to be a defensive back in the NFL these days, but it is almost a guaranteed flag if you don't turn your head and look at the ball. Happens to the Browns all the time. That's usually when things start to take a turn for them. Someone chucks up a 50/50 ball, our guy doesn't turn around, he bumps the receiver, and it's a flag. A touchdown usually comes within a few plays after that. Durrr

S
Legend
Legend
S
Also tossing players in college football for targeting is a joke.

I get it, there are certain plays, where it's clear the guy launched himself into an opposing player, but there are too many times where guys are tossed when it was borderline. Nick Bosa was ejected last year on a play where he barely made contact with the quarterback. It was a total trash call.

And the problem with that entire rule is it will be very hard to take that away. You can't pretend to care about the well-being of players by making that rule, and then take it away because it's ruining your game. That is a horrible look.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum What Is The Dumbest Foul/Penalty In Sports?

Link Copied to Clipboard