Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
NFL proposal would allow league office in New York to eject players after instant replay

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...play/439964002/

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I don't have a problem with that, as long as it is absolutely clear cut.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Well, the NFL will screw this up. If they're going to take the time to review these plays they should also afford the opportunity to correct the call if it was incorrect in the first place. Too many flags are immediately thrown when there is any kind of significant contact, sometimes on textbook tackles.

Do the right thing and I'll be a big fan of this.

Last edited by FATE; 03/19/18 11:30 PM.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FATE
Well, the NFL will screw this up. If they're going to take the time to review these plays they should also afford the opportunity to correct the call if it was incorrect in the first place. Too many flags are immediately thrown when there is any kind of significant contact, sometimes on textbook tackles.

Do the right thing and I'll be a big fan of this.

How many targeting plays gone awry have taught us that?

Legend
Legend
As long as the refs don't play favoritism towards certain players/teams..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
As long as the refs don't play favoritism towards certain players/teams..

Except Brady, of course. The NFL must have it's bell cow.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Over reach . Seems to be a theme that the populaces are Ok with !

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm against this proposal. The game has been slowed down and the flow of games is altered much too often due to lengthy instant replays and wordy explanations by the lead official. I don't tune in to hear the refs. I want action.

I vigorously oppose this proposal.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Any college football fan knows this is a very bad idea.

you had a good run Hank.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Don't know how I feel about this. Many times the exact play is made by two different players, and different results come from the refs. In these cases, I can see where it might help.

Where I see it hurting, is on plays where the proximity of the ref on the field can be a better point of view than a replay. Camera angles can make the same play look many different ways.

The one thing I think it would help with, is the "defenseless receiver" calls, and the inadvertent helmet to helmet calls. Too many times players are flagged and even fined for helmet to helmet calls, when on the replay it is clear that the helmets hit each other after the initial impact.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I don't have a problem with that, as long as it is absolutely clear cut.

Nor do I, on the grounds that it's unquestionable.

Legend
Legend
As much as I'm for the catch rule revision, I'm against this ... it has negatively affected college IMO

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I'm against this proposal. The game has been slowed down and the flow of games is altered much too often due to lengthy instant replays and wordy explanations by the lead official. I don't tune in to hear the refs. I want action.

I vigorously oppose this proposal.
Agreed...The flow of the game is already backed up and always suddenly stopped, delayed, or sent off for commercial breaks...I cant be the only one whom gets angry during games for the vast amounts of delay...The marketing ploys are getting ridiculous as well, I miss the days of simplicity in ball.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Suh's contract value just got cut in half

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I know this won't be popular and I am not even sure if he is still available, but I think signing Suh at a reduced contract would be great. The dude can ball.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I know. At least he's got a mean streak.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'd agree with you if we weren't in the middle of developing so much young, talented dlinemen.

I'm fine letting this one go.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...too many rules. Just enforce the ones you got!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Anything that adds more officiating to the game, I am against. I'd be in favor of cutting the number of game officials to 5.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I'd like to go back to having no video replays/reviews at all. Officiating is part of the game; the call on the field is the call. With that said, I'd like to see the referee crews get younger and more able to keep up with the speed of the game. I'd also like to see referees become full time employees, with a senior off-field crew chief that does regular reviews of their job performance.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Anything that adds more officiating to the game, I am against. I'd be in favor of cutting the number of game officials to 5.

rofl rofl rofl

Way to much happening on the field ... reducing the number of eyes on it would be beyond stupid ...

M
Legend
Legend
M
Terrible proposal. At this rate, games will continue to get longer and longer making them four hour events.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Why not a four hour event? Just think of the extra commercial time it creates for the benefit of the viewers. [/s]

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

rofl rofl rofl

Way to much happening on the field ... reducing the number of eyes on it would be beyond stupid ...

Not as stupid as adding more officials, be them on field or in some booth in NYC.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I watched a video that made a few points that make me rethink my initial approval of this. One of those things said was usually it's the player just retaliating that is flagged... which is kind of cheap in itself, now to get thrown out?

P
2nd String
2nd String
P
Elway,Bradshaw,Roslesberger,Lambert,Rey Lewis,Polamolu,the previous 3 cheap shot artists,head hunters always got no flag for spearing illegal use of hands,facemasking,ect. Elway even if had in in the grasp no whistle only a flag for roughing QB or late hit,he should have been flagged every play for head bobbing and /or illegal motion after setting self to call signals then bobs head and body or then moves up and along line changing play and his line moves also then goes back in position bobs head and leg forward again before snap,no flag.

I bleed Seal Brown,Burnt Oranage and White w/Chrome. It's a proud honored birthright and family tradition.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
I'd like to go back to having no video replays/reviews at all. Officiating is part of the game; the call on the field is the call. With that said, I'd like to see the referee crews get younger and more able to keep up with the speed of the game. I'd also like to see referees become full time employees, with a senior off-field crew chief that does regular reviews of their job performance.

I don't think age has anything to do with it. Those guys can cover the field as is. The problem is the speed of the game. It's so fast, so many bodies and weird angles all while playing with a dark ball. Replay is needed for accuracy.

The frustration is with the speed of replay, which is a joke.
The officials on the field don't need to run to the sideline to watch the replays themselves, that wastes too much time. Build a war room at NFL headquarters to rule on each replay. They should be able to make a decision in under 30-45 seconds. I know I can do it. I see a play in slo-mo and can usually get it right on the first viewing. I still don't understand why it can take these officials 3-4 minutes.

- NFL war room
- They have people watching the game ready for a review, just like we are, they can have the call ready by the time the red-flag hits the field.
- If more viewings are needed, cap the review time to 30 seconds and then 15 seconds to deliver the particulars (no completion, ball on the 42-yard line, clock should be 3:45 and it'll be 2nd and 7 with a first down marker at the 49)
- If they can't find proof to reverse the call in 30 seconds, call stands...move on.

As for ejecting players, I'd rather they eject a player for a series, quarter or half before ejecting from the game. Hit a defenseless player with the crown of your helmet in the 1st....out until the 2nd. Do it again in the 3rd, out for the rest of the half. That sort of thing.

I've never liked the college targeting system where one hit on the first series gets you booted for the whole game. So dumb.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:
The officials on the field don't need to run to the sideline to watch the replays themselves, that wastes too much time. Build a war room at NFL headquarters to rule on each replay. They should be able to make a decision in under 30-45 seconds. I know I can do it. I see a play in slo-mo and can usually get it right on the first viewing. I still don't understand why it can take these officials 3-4 minutes.

- NFL war room
- They have people watching the game ready for a review, just like we are, they can have the call ready by the time the red-flag hits the field.
- If more viewings are needed, cap the review time to 30 seconds and then 15 seconds to deliver the particulars (no completion, ball on the 42-yard line, clock should be 3:45 and it'll be 2nd and 7 with a first down marker at the 49)
- If they can't find proof to reverse the call in 30 seconds, call stands...move on.

How can anyone disagree with this? thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
I wonder if they reach a decision fast, but the travel in communications is what lags the process and etc?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
too bad they can't eject ref's for making bad calls in a game

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

- NFL war room

CAN'T - It's the perfect protocol.

Bottom line: The NFL WILL adopt this. They're on a mission to show that their #1 concern is player safety, whether it's true or not. My only hope is that they think this all the way through and allow the replay to NEGATE any flag that shouldn't have been thrown in the first place. Way too many legal hits getting flagged, or helmet to helmet flags from contact that was actually initiated or caused by the player they're treating as the victim. If you're going to try to fix something - actually FIX IT.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I wonder if they reach a decision fast, but the travel in communications is what lags the process and etc?

If they're sending those communications via carrier pigeons, sure. tongue

To me, once that red flag hits the ground, the next play should be ready to go 90 seconds later or sooner. Heck, by the point the red flag has been thrown, we at home have already seen the reply once or twice.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree, usually on the jumbo trons is all that's required to see too.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

- NFL war room

The TV Networks can. That 3 to 4 minutes can be 6 to 8 commercials. Cha-ching!

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed with others that say the NFL should make changes that move the game along faster.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Quote:

- NFL war room

Then split-screen the replay. Half commercial / half replay. Or heck, sponsor the replay:

"This 6-second red flag challenged is sponsored by..."

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Quote:

- NFL war room

Then split-screen the replay. Half commercial / half replay. Or heck, sponsor the replay:

"This 6-second red flag challenged is sponsored by..."

The replays should be governed by Virgin Time. The replays should take no longer than an average human male virgin's first sex encounter.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Well, they do have to wait for the communications to travel to outer space and back. lol

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
NFL proposal would allow league office in New York to eject players after instant replay

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...play/439964002/
I want to see being able to challenge more penalties, like PI and horrible holding calls that ruin drives.

D
Legend
Legend
D
My whole suggestion with the communication things is does it need to be filtered, approved or checked by a ton of different people? Is it one person making the decision and then it's relayed directly to the refs on the field? Does it have to go through options A, B, C, D and E before the decision gets to refs?

Who knows. I do know that I initially was okay with this, but now after reading here and other places - this sounds like a clean way to extend the length of football games and other annoyances.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum NFL proposal would allow league office in New York to eject players after instant replay

Link Copied to Clipboard