Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only place I move down to is #5 or #6, and I need a healthy return to even do that.

We have moved down enough, it's time we move ahead, and upward.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If Saquan is gone at 4 and not a Brown then I am fine with trading down with Buffalo for their first round picks. Pick 12 can still be a great pick to have.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It may go against better judgement, if the "best" player in the draft has "bark" in his name,

Shouldn't we take him at #4 ?

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
If we did move out of #4 I'd love us to pick up Josh Jackson and Guice with the Bills picks.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: drobs
If we did move out of #4 I'd love us to pick up Josh Jackson and Guice with the Bills picks.
Jackson is someone I'd like as well. I also see us targeting a RB with that 2nd round

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
The only place I move down to is #5 or #6, and I need a healthy return to even do that.

We have moved down enough, it's time we move ahead, and upward.

I tend to agree...it just depends on 2 things.

The first is how many players do we have rated as "elite" players? We know a few QB's are going to get drafted, so can you drop to 5-6? 7-8?

The second is how many players do you have rated as true 1st round value? No doubt there are 32 players taken in the first round, but in any given year you might only have a true 1st round grade on 20 or so. If we can place a true 1st round grade on 22 players, the trading down with buffalo comes in to play. If now, trading with the Bills starts to lose value.

One thing I do know is that with all the FA pick-ups and trades we made, every guy we draft probably won't make the team.

Well, they might due to the FO change. You know, out with the other guys players, in with yours, even if it is simply switching one marginal player with a new marginal player.

It makes a lot of sense to get as many "elite" or high rated true first rounders and not simply flip flop players of marginal status.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
K
kwhip Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K

That's what I was initially talking about.

What 2 players outweigh the loss of Barkley, Chubb or Fitz.

Jackson CB and Guice?

Ridley and Alexander CB with RB in 2?

THIS is what Dorsey needs to weigh.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
At this point I wouldn't rule out anything in the way of trades I think Dorsey gets that.

The goal IMO has to be to come away with 2 blue chip players, who will bring the game altering scenario. My dream if you will is we get 3, don't laugh I think we could.

If the Browns for instance are comfortable with SD or JA and the Giants make a sizable offer to move up one spot, I do the deal. The key here is do they think both or either will be franchise material. At this point I think the Giants likely feel pretty comfortable with either selection so IMO a deal is unlikely and I don't see the Brown's moving almost no matter what.

That takes us to the #4 pick with 4 potential franchise QB's up for grabs this is the last opportunity to get one of them for a host of teams. Miami, Denver, certainly Buffalo.

I wouldn't do a deal with Buffalo simply because I want players outside of a QB from the very top of the draft 12 and 22 will be to late IMO. But that doesn't mean that Buffalo couldn't do a deal with Indy, or Tampa Bay, then deal up with us, remember they have a ton of picks to throw around and if their hell bent to get one of these QB's they just might?

I try to work a deal with Denver only going back one spot is my preferred choice, if Denver shows an interest that can only mean one thing I may throw our 1st next year and 2 or maybe even all three of our 2nds and or whatever Denver offers up to move up 1 spot at Indy to move into the #5 and #6 spots and take Chubb and Barkley.

Anyway this goes the Browns will not be in this spot next year our 1st next year will be at best be a mid 12-20 pick so I would gladly trade off the 1st next year for a shot at a top 10 player this year.

Man I have kicked this around a lot I want Chubb and I want Barkley and of course the best QB in the draft, and I think we can get that done I really do.

If left with the choice of Barkley or Chubb, I have to take Chubb elite pass rushers are near impossible to find, and while I understand the gap between Barkley and the rest of the backs its not as momentous as the gap between pass rushers.

I would add that this pick will make Garret pay even larger dividends and at the same time make it so Chubb pays off as well. Its a no brain er IMO you take the elite pass rusher, and don't look back.

In one short month will find out, but man this is the draft that absolutely will change the Browns fortunes, FINALLY ah?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: kwhip

That's what I was initially talking about.

What 2 players outweigh the loss of Barkley, Chubb or Fitz.

Jackson CB and Guice?

Ridley and Alexander CB with RB in 2?

THIS is what Dorsey needs to weigh.

This assumes any of those players will be there. You can't just say I'll take Fitz & Ridley (for example). If you trade down you run the risk of losing the player(s) you covet and you're basically saying I'll take two players who are left when I get there instead of the potential game changer I really want. Not saying it won't happen or that we can't get two good players but the draft is hit or miss enough as it is so why risk missing out on the player that is graded highest and is closer to being a sure thing/potential 8-10 year starter?

They're saying this draft has only about 20 player worth a first round grade as is (depending on the teams' boards). We've drafted enough first round busts to know we could easily lose out on a trade like that. I hope we stay at 4 and take Chubb, Barkley or Fitz.

JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It may go against better judgement, if the "best" player in the draft has "bark" in his name,

Don't know. Is that how we ended up with "Bark"evious Mingo at 6?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
No team would want to give up what I would be asking for the 4th pick. The best player in the draft is going to probably be available. It would cost them dearly.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
There are no amount of draft picks they could offer if Barkley is there at #4. That card turn in would be instant.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
If any GM gave up what I was asking I’m pretty sure it would get them fired!!

Legend
Legend
I would die of windburn, terminal third degree, turning that card in. Still trying to convince myself that it is even plausible, much less possible.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Look at what Dorsey has done in free agency this off season. He solidified Qb, Wr, Rb, O-line depth, Cb and S with solid vets. There are no giant holes on this team, except perhaps LT.

He has set up up to draft the best players that will have the biggest impact on this team regardless of position. I think he will stay at or close to it (maybe drop 1_2 spots) andd take the player with the most talent and perceived impact for this team.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Was it that or Banner/Lombardi using their logic of, ‘well his name sounds like a dawg’?

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stand and deliver!

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think there will be a good auction for #4 and the last of the top QBs, Josh Allen will be there after we take Darnold, Giants take Rosen, Jets take Mayfield. I would have to say Denver and the Bills would be the two teams looking to get there. Obviously if we can pull a 2nd rounder from Denver I would do that deal over multiple picks from Bills. But us picking at #5 and still getting our choice of the first positional player is gold. Rather than dropping to #11 and getting the 7th best positional BPA.

Us getting picks 33, 35 40 and 64 would be a bonanza of a draft!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
I think there will be a good auction for #4 and the last of the top QBs, Josh Allen will be there after we take Darnold, Giants take Rosen, Jets take Mayfield. I would have to say Denver and the Bills would be the two teams looking to get there. Obviously if we can pull a 2nd rounder from Denver I would do that deal over multiple picks from Bills. But us picking at #5 and still getting our choice of the first positional player is gold. Rather than dropping to #11 and getting the 7th best positional BPA.

Us getting picks 33, 35 40 and 64 would be a bonanza of a draft!

jmho

I agree. A nice little trade down with Denver would be great. I dunno if they'll bite though. They gotta know that, to us, being able to pick our first non-qb would have its appeal verses a big trade down with Buffalo.

Is what it is.

Honestly, Buffalo can probably get a good QB at 12 with Lamar Jackson or even Mason Rudolph.

Although, I'd definitely take Jackson ahead of Rudolph. He's an intriguing pick. Not the guy I want, because I want our QB at 1. But Lamar Jackson is an NFL QB and further along than he gets credit for.

A lot of folks, probably myself included, have given the perception that some of the later guys in our rankings are bad picks. Don't think they're bad picks, just a few levels below (and therefore not the ones for us, as i'm terrified of screwing this up).

This is a deep draft class. Jackson and Rudolph stand a chance to be decent NFL QBs. Although I'd take Jackson before Rudolph any day of the week. In the right situation, if Jackson can protect himself out there, he'll be an exciting player to watch. And he'll win football games.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
E
Legend
Legend
E
The can get...its not a buffet line.

Usually teams will fall in love with a certain player and they will want HIM and not look to just fill the position with another...oh n did miss spoke on them having #11 instead its 12??? That would be the 8th positional player rather than 7.

Denver I think will fall in love with Allen and if we play our cards right and let them know we are looking at a lot from the Bills to move us, they just might pull that 2nd round payment.

Hey its all pretend at this moment...lol for all we know the Jets are looking at Allen and not Mayfield.

What is important is QBs go 1, 2, 3 and us taking what we consider the best at #1. At this point that is all I'm concerned about. The rest is just pretend stuff.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Denver I think will fall in love with Allen and if we play our cards right and let them know we are looking at a lot from the Bills to move us, they just might pull that 2nd round payment.

Hey its all pretend at this moment...lol for all we know the Jets are looking at Allen and not Mayfield.

What is important is QBs go 1, 2, 3 and us taking what we consider the best at #1. At this point that is all I'm concerned about. The rest is just pretend stuff.

lol, well hopefully they aren't reading this message board. Cause we seem to have it all figured out, and we want to trade down with them only, but want them to think that we're willing to trade down with someone else also

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

lol, well hopefully they aren't reading this message board. Cause we seem to have it all figured out, and we want to trade down with them only, but want them to think that we're willing to trade down with someone else also

I think you 2 are missing something here Buffalo is on the move get them to come up to say Indy or the Bucks then use that for leverage on Denver.

Just let Buffalo know we can't swing a deal and go back so far in the draft which means they need to work their way up the board without our help. I feel certain Buffalo is talking to everyone who has a spot they would covet, the Browns hold the key Buffalo knows that. I sure hope their listening can't wait until we have our QB in place and #4 is on the clock!

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If we take a QB at #1 and that is an IF and Saquan is there at #4 there is no trade that justifies not taking him. I mean just drafting our future QB and stud HB is a perfect draft and I don't even care what else happens in the draft because it's just pure gravy after that point.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
If we take a QB at #1 and that is an IF and Saquan is there at #4 there is no trade that justifies not taking him. I mean just drafting our future QB and stud HB is a perfect draft and I don't even care what else happens in the draft because it's just pure gravy after that point.

lol. I dunno man. I think QBs are going 1,2,3. And I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Bradley Chubb goes to us at 4 (or we trade down)

I'm all for Barkley FYI. He's who I want at 4. But I certainly don't expect it. I'd be willing to bet if we don't trade down, and it's between Chubb and Barkley, we go Chubb.

Even if Chubb's gone, there's a good chance we go Minkah Fitzpatrick.

So prepare yourself

Legend
Legend
If chub is there that's my pick,,, either way I think it's gonna be hard to screw it up if we stay put

<><

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
There are so many crazy scenarios right now. The thing is I can see it playing aout a lot of different ways and be justified in doing so.

For instance, we could be baiting the giants to move up to 1 so they will take darnold. We get say a 2nd round pick to exchange picks when they didn't want Darnold anyways. Now the Bills want Rosen and the Browns are scared of his injury history or maybe something got flagged with whatever. So we take their first picks this year and next. Pick 3 is probably Mayfield.

QBs 123 like you said. Browns are happy to have Tyrod as their starter and surprise all of us. That includes me. We now have 3 first round picks this year and 2-3 first round picks next year.

Pick #4 We take Barkly

We then take 2-4 second round picks and swap our 22 pick for denver's 5th pick. We take Chubs. At 12 we draft Mason just ahead of the Chargers who want him. denver only did the trade because the QBs are already gone and they can take Lamar or Allen at 22 before the Steelers get to pick.

That is my draft day crazy scenario.

I think we end up with Darnold at 1 and Barkley at 4.

1 is Darnold
2 is Rosen
3 is Mayfield
4 is Saquan

IF Giants take Saquan then Bills and Denver fight it out for pick 4 as team fight to get either Rosen or Mayfield. If we take Denver's deal we take Chubs at 5. If we take buffalo's deal we take a CB, Vea, or the ND guard at 12.

It could be a very interesting Day.

K
kwhip Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
There are so many crazy scenarios right now. The thing is I can see it playing aout a lot of different ways and be justified in doing so.

For instance, we could be baiting the giants to move up to 1 so they will take darnold. We get say a 2nd round pick to exchange picks when they didn't want Darnold anyways. Now the Bills want Rosen and the Browns are scared of his injury history or maybe something got flagged with whatever. So we take their first picks this year and next. Pick 3 is probably Mayfield.

QBs 123 like you said. Browns are happy to have Tyrod as their starter and surprise all of us. That includes me. We now have 3 first round picks this year and 2-3 first round picks next year.

Pick #4 We take Barkly

We then take 2-4 second round picks and swap our 22 pick for denver's 5th pick. We take Chubs. At 12 we draft Mason just ahead of the Chargers who want him. denver only did the trade because the QBs are already gone and they can take Lamar or Allen at 22 before the Steelers get to pick.

That is my draft day crazy scenario.

I think we end up with Darnold at 1 and Barkley at 4.

1 is Darnold
2 is Rosen
3 is Mayfield
4 is Saquan

IF Giants take Saquan then Bills and Denver fight it out for pick 4 as team fight to get either Rosen or Mayfield. If we take Denver's deal we take Chubs at 5. If we take buffalo's deal we take a CB, Vea, or the ND guard at 12.

It could be a very interesting Day.

Sorry about last night. Didn't mean to rag on your opinion. We'll I DID but I shouldn't. Lol.

This is CRAZY stuff this year. Soooo many possibilities, it's insane.

Peeps need to stay awake for the ENTIRE first round. With what we have in round 2 it would not surprise me in the least if we end up in the first round again to get that 5th year option on someone we have Top 20 ranked.

Legend
Legend
I'd be okay with going Darnold at 1 and then trading back (no further than Buffalo) if we can get a good haul ... as long as we're targeting secondary guys (Fitzpatrick or Ward)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
its cool we all get a bit hot sometimes myself included

E
Legend
Legend
E
Well staying with the move down to 4...I think we could get a decent return from the Broncos so they can draft Allen who possibly Elway is Gaga for. It would be great to get their 2nd round pick #40. We still get the first positional play at #5.

I strongly think that pick would be Ward. 4.32 speed is very seductive for a CB. His vertical leap is ok as he is a tad under 5'11"

I am pretty sure that in Dorsey's draft history he has a tendency for picking "SPEED" which actually is the way to go with the NFL, speed kills especially on D.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I'd be okay with going Darnold at 1 and then trading back (no further than Buffalo) if we can get a good haul ... as long as we're targeting secondary guys (Fitzpatrick or Ward)

Buffalo has pick #12 right?
Let's say that 5 Qb's go before then as does Barkley, Chubb, Minkah ,Ward and Nelson.

That is a list of 10 players. Who are the next 2 that you would be satisfied getting?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We've heard for years about a lack of impact players and now we have our chance. If we trade out and a good distance down I don't want to hear a thing about impact players again! I realize there are decent players at lower picks but not very often does the chance to have two of the top four setting in your lap present itself.

Rookie
Rookie
Originally Posted By: Jester

Let's say that 5 Qb's go before then as does Barkley, Chubb, Minkah ,Ward and Nelson.

That is a list of 10 players. Who are the next 2 that you would be satisfied getting?

Personally, I would prefer to trade back and then attempt to trade up to picks 7-10 to get one of the ones listed. However, if we did trade back and had no takers, the names I like in the 12 and 22 spots are as follows:

Maurice Hurst - The exact type of rushing, slicing, penetrating big man that Williams loves. He was diagnosed with a heart condition at the combine. Assuming he checks out, I would happily take him at 12! Before the heart condition he was being projected as a top 7 pick.

Harold Landry - May be a better pure pass rusher than Chubb. He had a stellar 2016, but 2017 was hampered with injuries.

Derwin James - Possibly the best overall athlete in the draft. Again, injuries hurt his stock, but if you give a guy like this to Gregg Williams, you just let him create!

Mike McGlinchey or Connor Williams - These two guys will be starting left tackles for years to come. They both have concerns and things they will have to prove with time. That is the only reason they are not projected in the top 10. Both are fantastic athletes, and will likely have long successful careers.

But this is assuming these are the 10 players taken. There are always surprises and slips. Jonathon Allen was said to be a top 3 LOCK last year, and the great debate was whether we should draft him at 1 instead of Garrett. He fell all the way to pick 17. So, 12 is not the worst spot to be. No, you do not have the buffet of choices you have at 4, but the added bonus of 22 plus either a 2nd rounder or 1st next year may make the pot too sweet to pass.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
We've heard for years about a lack of impact players and now we have our chance. If we trade out and a good distance down I don't want to hear a thing about impact players again! I realize there are decent players at lower picks but not very often does the chance to have two of the top four setting in your lap present itself.

I’m with u ... im very comfie with the Donks at 5 ... other than that ... i’d Pass .....

If i did do something .... id be comfie going as far down as the bears at 8 ... thats about it ... we can get one of Ward, Fitz or James there ... but i’d rather stay at 4 or go to 5 ...

Thats really it ... just like at 1 ... GET OUR GUY ... dont get cute ...

Franchise QB hopefully and a major difference maker .... LETS GOOOOO .... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester

Derwin James for sure. The OT McClintchy (SP) ... that's worst case scenario obv.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown

Well played

P
Legend
Legend
P
Ok we ARE taking a QB at #1 that's what Jimmy said when he introduced John Dorsey, that he is here to find our franchise QB, so lets end that discussion. Now #4 WHO Barkley/Chubb/Fitzpatrick/James or Trade Down I myself have been thinking it would be nice to get our top QB and Barkley, but I have this strange feeling that we get such a huge offer from Miami/Buffalo/Arizona that we end up trading out of #4 ... I am on the Barkley bandwagon now, but I will trust Dorsey ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Ok we ARE taking a QB at #1 that's what Jimmy said when he introduced John Dorsey, that he is here to find our franchise QB, so lets end that discussion. Now #4 WHO Barkley/Chubb/Fitzpatrick/James or Trade Down I myself have been thinking it would be nice to get our top QB and Barkley, but I have this strange feeling that we get such a huge offer from Miami/Buffalo/Arizona that we end up trading out of #4 ... I am on the Barkley bandwagon now, but I will trust Dorsey ...

lol, I really don't wanna move down that far.

We've got our choice of guys at the top of the draft. I'd like Saquon Barkley. But Chubb or Fitzpatrick would be great too.

I want an elite player. I don't want to move down, then try to move up or whatever.

Give me an elite guy.

Who I want, Barkley. It's too risky hoping to trade back up to get Guice (the only other RB I see as much of a difference maker to us). Give me Barkley. Let's get the offense some more firepower, and start making things exciting around here.

Bring back hte "Run Willie Run" rookie year, lol

Legend
Legend

It is so easy to fall into the trap that runners can be had later.

That you can use a committee of runners to accomplish your goals.

That runners have short careers. That great runners don't win championships.

All that talk goes out the window when you have a truly great back. A game changer. A guy who can beat you as a runner and receiver. Think Marshall Faulk.

Barkley is that kind of player.

As much as I would understand Chubb, Fitz, Ward.

When you can get a guy like Barkley 20 to 30 touches a game. Your whole offense changes.

A great receiver maybe on a good day catches 8 to 10 balls.
A great pass rusher maybe 3 sacks in a game.
A great DB two int's and some more defenses.

Believe me I know their impact is more than that on the plays they don't get stats from.

But Barkley on the field in 90% of the offensive plays causes big problems for any defense.

Dorsey most likely would take Chubb, Ward, or Fitz that is his MO.

Me, I 'm taking Barkley and for five or more years; I say "catch me if you can."

P
Legend
Legend
P
Let's look at last years class.

#4 draft pick, Leonard Fournette - 268 rushes for 1040 yards. 3.9 yards per carry. 9td's.

#86 draft pick, Kareem Hunt - 272 rushes for 1327 yards. 4.9 yards per carry. 8td's.

When you add in his receiving stats he accumulated over 1700 yards and three more TD's.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Moving Down from #4

Link Copied to Clipboard