Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Legend
Legend
What does that have to do with Barkley?

Hunt did great and he was a late pick?

Fournette was a 4th and was not as good?

I can site all kinds of picks and when they were drafted vs their performance.

Elliot, Peterson, Faulk, Tomlinson.

Each case stands alone.

Of course "finds" at all positions have been found late. Has nothing to do with Barkley and what he brings.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Assuming we take our QB @1.
If Bradley Chubb is off the board, then by all means, I would be looking to field calls on trading back, but still try to stay within the top 9 picks if possible.
With FS Derwin James as my target and a top 10 talent in this years draft class.

I would not take Saquon Barkley @4. He has all of the physical skill sets, but his tape shows that he is mentally immature at the position and will often times not stay on schedule by not taking what the defense gives him, which is an indication of thinking in the moment, rather then the concept of the design play. I know some will think that I might be nit picking, but those mistakes he has on tape, will not be so easy to mask on Sunday's.

The talent at RB this year offers some good options later on.
I don't see a rookie RB taking 3rd down reps from Duke either.

Don't sleep on Nick Chubb.

In conclusion my first choice would be to take Bradley Chubb @4, but the only other player I might consider there would be Nelson and thats really off script for our needs.

[Linked Image]

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
"mentally immature" - brilliant.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In layman's terms...he has a low positional IQ. He does not press the crease before bounching out side. He is not adept at reading the blocks of his OL in respect to defensive positioning. His pass protection set is too wide and outside and he leads with shoulders and head down, before useing his hands.

In short he has the same tool box to work with as did some of the names being associated with him, just a few less tools to begin the job with.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's quite simple my friend. The horse that is often the favorite doesn't win the Kentucky Derby. I'm not convinced in the value of Barkley at #4 given such a heavily laden RB draft class.

That along with the fact that it seems Dorsey did a fantastic job of finding more productive RB talent later in the draft. This isn't the QB position.

If you actually think he's the next Zeke or AP you may have a point. Sorry, but I'm just not seeing that. My take is a lot closer to Fl Dawg than most on this board.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well maybe I am wrong about Barkley.

Because I believe him to be really good.

From what I have seen others have him as the best player in the draft. So I guess it is all a matter of perception.

It most likely does not matter. I seriously doubt that Dorsey takes him.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm going to skip the 4 pages and go with HELL to the NO! The Browns NEED QUALITY players. I think we can all agree that there WILL be quality available at #4. Stop screwing around and trying to outsmart everyone (because that has worked SO well in the past). Take the stud at #4 and don't look back. Period.

The Browns finally have a leader in the building. It won't be long before Jim Schwartz is in charge. Thankfully.
P
Legend
Legend
P
That's the fun in all of this. We all have differing opinions and only the future will tell how it works out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
The thing with Quan .. he breaks everything outside cause he is simply a better athelete and faster than everyone else ... he wasn’t forced to learn how to run inside and all that goes with it cause he NEVER HAD TO DEVELOP THAT SKILL ...

I am 100% on board with Fla. .. said it since the beginning .. its went over well so far ... rofl ...

Who knows if he can or will develop that skill ... i have NO CLUE ... what i do know .. is hes not going to outrun everyone in the nfl ... NOT A SHOT IN HELL ...

I think whoever drafts him will be dissapointed ... but i been wrong before and more than likely will be again ... wink

E
Legend
Legend
E
Barkley is unique because there just is not another RB who is comfortably built at 230lbs and can run a 4.40 or better. With excellent hands. The combo is unique and can possibly make all other skill positional players on the offense better. Which is why he is being considered.

I do think it will be do we go Offense or do we go Defense. Haley vs. Williams as they will express their case to Dorsey.

Whoever we take and I seriously think its going to be between Barkley on the O or Ward on the D. I hope we don't trade back further than Denver's #5 pick.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think it's more complicated than that. Diam and Fl. gave great information as to why I feel the selection of Barkley should be questioned. I also believe there are other storng considerations for the number 4 pick.

I believe a case could be made for both Fitz and Ward at #4. Much the same as you do Ward. Now I'm not saying that either of those two will be our selections. But what I am saying is I just don't think that it's the slam dunk of Bark or Chubb some people make it out to be.

The only people we are really hearing from are supposed draft gurus and media types. I don't put as much faith in that as some do.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For a good contrast to Barkley, take a look at the tape of both Georgia RBs' Sony and Chubb.
Both have high position IQs'.

Either would make for a great RB by committee for this team without giving up a #4 selection.

The media will have their darlings, year in and year out.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
Whoever we take and I seriously think its going to be between Barkley on the O or Ward on the D. I hope we don't trade back further than Denver's #5 pick.

jmho

Why would we go Ward over Minkah Fitzpatrick?

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

jmho

Because he is the best CB in this draft !!!

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Because he is the best CB in this draft !!!

With the signings of Currie and Gaines, I don't think drafting a CB is that much more valuable to us than a FS/Situational Corner (which is what I think Minkah is).

And I think Minkah is a better player.

As I see it, there's three top players that aren't QBs. Three guys who have elite level talent. 1) Saquon Barkley . 2) Bradley Chubb . 3) Minkah Fitzpatrick.

I hope we draft one of those 3 at 4. Denzel Ward looks pretty good, but I just don't think he's at those guy's level. I'm looking for elite

P
Legend
Legend
P
You didn't watch many Buckeye games I take it, you have a right to your opinion, but this guy isn't only the best cover CB but he is a come up and knock you out CB ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m not sure what u think we got in Currie or Gaines ... but we can definetly use 1 if not 2 starting caliber cb’s ...

I’d much rather have WARD THAN CHUBB for that reason alone ... i still have no clue why folks want to draft someone that would amount to a situational player with us ...

Just like at QB ... we’ve IMPROVED by leaps and bounds but were still not there yet ... same thing at CB ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
You didn't watch many Buckeye games I take it, you have a right to your opinion, but this guy isn't only the best cover CB but he is a come up and knock you out CB ...

I've seen a bit of video on him. He's definitely not afraid to hit, which I like. In that sense it reminds me of Joe Haden (who I really wanted for the Browns at 7).

If we were picking around 7, i'd be all for it. But this is the first non-qb we'd be taking.

I just think there are better players. Minkah Fitzpatrick I noticed before ever even hearing of him. He's a three year starter at Alabama. I don't think I like him as much as I liked Jamal Adams (another player who I keyed in on before reading about in draft anything), but he's still very good.

Minkah would be an awesome compliment to Jabril Peppers. He can cover TE's, cover the slot, be a stud in the red zone, and can play the deep zone need of FS's

I'm not sure why his name has sort of dropped a little lately. Minkah is a really good player. Nothing changed there. He ran the same 40 speed as Joe Haden about, so, it's not like he's slow or anything. He's a good athlete and a very good football player.

I get a good feeling about Minkah the same way I did about Joe Haden. Guys I've seen for multiple years stand out in the SEC. They just impress me

M
Legend
Legend
M
Another factor with Minkah - he's had mad props from Nick Saban ... has a s.m.a.r.t football mind. I'd love him at 4. I think more so than Chubb or Barclay - but I'd take any one of them.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/minka...ick-saban-smile

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/nick-saban-alabama-football-minkah-fitzpatrick

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Another factor with Minkah - he's had mad props from Nick Saban ... has a s.m.a.r.t football mind. I'd love him at 4. I think more so than Chubb or Barclay - but I'd take any one of them.

Yup, I want one of them.

I want an elite player. Those three have the best chance of being elite.

Minkah could be a mix of Jalen Ramsey and Earl Thomas. Bradley Chubb would be a crazy tandem on the opposite side of Garrett, with Ogbah subbing in and out (although Ogbah might have to play LDE. Seems to be his spot. But it could be made to work)

And Saquon Barkley looks like a blue chip RB prospect. All-around great player. He's like a bigger stronger Marshall Faulk

Last edited by PeteyDangerous; 03/28/18 07:04 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From what I see the second tier goes to past 12 players, but the two linebackers wouldn’t have as much impact.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
Legend
Legend
E
hi IQ, funny not one analyst, GM, ex GM, coach, ex coach has said so.

How bout Georgia had a well rounded team. Penn State wa a one man Army.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
Legend
Legend
E
either or for the D I would be happy but my thought process on why the Browns would go Ward.

1. All Fitz tooters are proclaiming hes a FS, they dont get taken early.

2. Actually I am one of the few saying we take Fitz it will be to play CB not FS.

3. If that is the case I think Ward is the best CB in this class.

4. 4.32 Speed. Dorsey has a love affair for speed.

Well that is my thought process.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

If you knew what they look for in grading a RB, then you might be singing a different tune.

Your opinion is based off of fan emotions, not actual scouting.

[Linked Image]

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I’m in the boat to take Chubb at four if he’s there, he is IMO the best defensive player in this draft, I’m with FL_Dawg on Barkley, he’s got gifts any RB would want but the decision making concerns me, and you can get similar production later in the draft, plus Dorsey likes a “running back by vomited” approach, I’m also not nearly as high on Fitz as most are, I get that he’s smart and versatile, I just don’t see special there, something seems to be missing when I watch his tape, can’t really place my finger on it. But my choice at 4, assuming we stay, is a no-brained to me Chubb.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dean_fairchild
I’m in the boat to take Chubb at four if he’s there, he is IMO the best defensive player in this draft, I’m with FL_Dawg on Barkley, he’s got gifts any RB would want but the decision making concerns me, and you can get similar production later in the draft, plus Dorsey likes a “running back by vomited” approach, I’m also not nearly as high on Fitz as most are, I get that he’s smart and versatile, I just don’t see special there, something seems to be missing when I watch his tape, can’t really place my finger on it. But my choice at 4, assuming we stay, is a no-brained to me Chubb.

I agree, and conventional wisdom says; you don't pass on pass rushers in the Draft.

[Linked Image]

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agree with your opinions. We can get a good RB later on but not as good a pass rusher as Chubb. JMO

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
To me, I always try to break it down to production, what production will you get with the high draft pick vs. what you get with a second, third, or even fourth rounder. How does each draft balance out as far as what positions are deep and which ones are thin.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To me, I always try to break it down to production, what production will you get with the high draft pick vs. what you get with a second, third, or even fourth rounder. How does each draft balance out as far as what positions are deep and which ones are thin.

When Drafting a RB high in the Draft; you look for a player who can stay on the field on third down and thats when pass protection comes into view. It is less of a factor after the first round.

[Linked Image]

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I agree, it just a question, how does that factor into the “running back by vomited” approach Dorsey has said he likes? I see them wanting to have Duke on the field on third downs in some capacity.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree, it just a question, how does that factor into the “running back by vomited” approach Dorsey has said he likes? I see them wanting to have Duke on the field on third downs in some capacity.

Absolutely, Duke fills that role, so another RB might not be projected, but for the early downs. This Draft has a number of prospects that can fill that role for us after the first round.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
Another thing I've pointed out before. Dorsey found Kareem Hunt at pick #76 in round three who outperformed Fournette by a long shot. With that type of success, why would he suddenly be convinced to invest high on a RB?

Hunt averaged 4.9 yards per carry for over 1,300 yards and 8td's. He added three more TD's and over 400 yards as a WR. Well over 1,700 total yards of offense.

I know we're looking a for a bigger type back and Hunt doesn't fill such a role, but if you had that kind of success finding a RB later in the draft, I find it hard to believe he would just go in the opposite direction at the position.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I was pretty high on Hunt before that Draft, so I wasn't one of them that was surprised by his success.

I agree that it is a good sign for us going forward.

I find it odd that so many X football players, become analyst and fall for the same media darlings, year in and year out.

Many claim that we would be stupid to pass on Barkley @1.

Call me stupid shocked

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Didn’t Dorsey also fine knile davis and that othe rrb kc has?

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Legend
Legend
D

Really? ... Nick Saban allowing him to be the FIRST and ONLY player to watch film with the coaches on Sunday

AND

His teammates saying Saban PRAISES NO ONE EVER in front of the team .... again NICK SABANS BLESSING ...

That shouldn’t count cause none of the draft experts are talking about it ... rofl ...

WOW ....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Based on the results of FA.

Barkley
Chubb
Ward
Fitzpatrick

Before FA Ward and Fitzpatrick would have been flipped.

That would probably mean that one of them would be there at 8. Anything more would be really risky.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

1. All Fitz tooters are proclaiming hes a FS, they dont get taken early.

Jamal Adams plays safety. He went four last yer

E
Legend
Legend
E
There up front talented draft classes an there are some that are not.
Trub...would not be going #2 in this draft.
There is a lot to do with draft facts then say Joe Shmo went #4 last year. Well how was the overall talent in that draft class?

Nelson the OG would go top 3 last year. This year?

LB, RB (not named Barkley) FS, TE, OG only go top5 in up front weak draft classes.

Hope I explained this well enough...You're a smart guy I think you will understand.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: PeteyDangerous

BPA. I think Ward is a better player at a more important position. And i have Derwin rated higher then Ward.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

Really? ... Nick Saban allowing him to be the FIRST and ONLY player to watch film with the coaches on Sunday

AND

His teammates saying Saban PRAISES NO ONE EVER in front of the team .... again NICK SABANS BLESSING ...

That shouldn’t count cause none of the draft experts are talking about it ... rofl ...

WOW ....
saywhat

Talk about making stuff up (I know it was a mistake)

But that High IQ statement was to FL Dawg who was stating compared to Barkley, Georgia RBs have a HI RB IQ.

Where do you get Fitzpatrick out of that I don't know but if it makes you feel smarter. Go right ahead.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Moving Down from #4

Link Copied to Clipboard